Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

They say weight loss is 80% diet but I disagree. I can't seem to shift the weight. My diet Monday to friday is almost exclusively

6am bowl of porridge
    10.30 am 2 rice cakes
    1pm chicken breast cooked in spices w red pepper and rocket
    7.30pm scrambled eggs (3 eggs) and 2 wholegrain toast

Plenty of water. Some decaf tea. No sweets or sugar. And I'm 15 stone. Maybe a little over.

Similar enough at the weekend but I might have some freezer food for dinner. I drink a few pints maybe every second Saturday. Where am I going wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

They say weight loss is 80% diet but I disagree. I can't seem to shift the weight. My diet Monday to friday is almost exclusively

6am bowl of porridge
    10.30 am 2 rice cakes

Plenty of water. Some decaf tea. No sweets or sugar. And I'm 15 stone. Maybe a little over.

Similar enough at the weekend but I might have some freezer food for dinner. I drink a few pints maybe every second Saturday. Where am I going wrong?

you could try

6am 1/2 bowl of porridge
    10.30 am 1 rice cake
    1pm 1/2 chicken breast cooked in spices w red pepper and rocket
    7.30pm scrambled egg (1 egg) and 1 wholegrain toast

see how that works after a month.

Not exavtl helpful. What I posted is already coming in at around 1000kcal. Anything less would be a bit extreme no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Something very wrong if you aren't losing any weight with only 1000 calories a day.

How long have you been eating this way?

You sure it's only 1000 calories per day and the weekends aren't adding a lot more calories to your overall weekly total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Week 1 15 Stone 12
    Week 2 15 Stone 10
    Week 3 15 Stone 10

Stagnant is better than going up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Are you doing any exercises may be your weekend meals are more calorie laden than you think .

Close to 3 months. At the start I was having a yoghurt and orange juice per day too but decided I didn't need the calories.
    The weekend can add another 1000 calories so I average out around 1300 cals per week.

Are you doing any exercises may be your weekend meals are more calorie laden than you think .

It's possible my weekend meals are higher than I think. I have a pretty sedentary job so my exercise routine consists of a 30 minute walk to the bus stop in the morning, 15 minute walk to my office, 30 minute walk most lunchtimes, 15 mins walk back to the bus in the evening, 30 minute walk home. I walk the dog a couple times a week too.

I lost 1/2 stone in the first month then stagnated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would you be able to something a bit more vigorous like a bit of jogging or cycling that would burn more calories than a bit of walking especially as you have a sedentary job .You burn very few calories with just walking a bit it would be different if you were massively over weight then you would start of walking a bit but I think you should try something a bit harder it helped me lose a couple of stone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

It's possible my weekend meals are higher than I think. I have a pretty sedentary job so my exercise routine consists of a 30 minute walk to the bus stop in the morning, 15 minute walk to my office, 30 minute walk most lunchtimes, 15 mins walk back to the bus in the evening, 30 minute walk home. I walk the dog a couple times a week too.

I lost 1/2 stone in the first month then stagnated

Something isn't right. 1000-1300 calories is a starvation mode in my book. Looks like something was left unaccounted for.... Add everything that you using in food preparation. Table spoon of cooking oil adds 100 calories. Most likely you eating way more calories than you think and this way you stay in maintenance mode.

Trying to eat 1500-1800 calories using keto diet I lost 15-16kg in 6 or 7 weeks.

Try to use myfitnesspal and log every single bite for 2 to 4 weeks. This way you'll get clear idea that's going on.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭razor12345

Just looking at this thread now, I'm thinking of keto, what weight and height were you when you started?
    edit_me wrote: »
    Something isn't right. 1000-1300 calories is a starvation mode in my book. Looks like something was left unaccounted for.... Add everything that you using in food preparation. Table spoon of cooking oil adds 100 calories. Most likely you eating way more calories than you think and this way you stay in maintenance mode.

Trying to eat 1500-1800 calories using keto diet I lost 15-16kg in 6 or 7 weeks.

Try to use myfitnesspal and log every single bite for 2 to 4 weeks. This way you'll get clear idea that's going on.

Best of luck

I'm 185cm height and my weight was around 95kg when I started keto diet.
    At a peak time I was closer to 110kg

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Here we go so.

32, soon to be 33. 6'3". weight on New Year's day 243 lbs.

Used to do a lot of sport when younger but thanks to a change of country and then change of job I dropped all those things.

Last year I went from 245 lbs New Year's day to 218 by the Thursday before the May bank holiday. So I lost 27lbs, just under 2 stone, in 5 months. Damaged ankle ligaments that night playing indoor and basically was out of action until September. Started new job in September and never got a handle on my fitness isince.

I've been tracking meals on myfitnesspal, along with doing two circuits classes a week and one game of indoor. Going to add in a bit of running and last year I cycled (15 mins) to work once the weather improved. I used to swim to a decent standard in university about 10 years ago so would like to add a bit of that in again too. Have a few events coming up in the next couple of weeks including my birthday, work gala thing and a wedding but other than that I'll be cutting out alcohol too. I don't ever drink midweek but more than make up for it on weekend.

My goal for the entire year is to drop back to around 200 lbs by next Christmas. I feel this may have been achievable without the injury last year.

Will update this weekly on Wednesday's.

Weight 1st Jan 243 lbs
    Weight 8th Jan 236 lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

6am bowl of porridge
    10.30 am 2 rice cakes

Lack of quality sleep, stress can interfere with weight loss , if you are up before 6am , are you still getting a good 7ish+ hours? , a small thing maybe but close your eating window down a bit, maybe have your breakfast at work. Watch out for sneaky things like munching hand full of nuts and the like at home ,or the avalanche of treats that can be had in an office , bought coffees can be calorie laden.
    Maybe its time to be less sedentary if possible , lots of health benefits to resistance training beyond burning calories.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

edit_me wrote: »

Best of luck

I'll look into the keto diet. I tried paleo before but it wasn't for me.

silverharp wrote: »
    Lack of quality sleep, stress can interfere with weight loss , if you are up before 6am , are you still getting a good 7ish+ hours? , a small thing maybe but close your eating window down a bit, maybe have your breakfast at work. Watch out for sneaky things like munching hand full of nuts and the like at home ,or the avalanche of treats that can be had in an office , bought coffees can be calorie laden.
    Maybe its time to be less sedentary if possible , lots of health benefits to resistance training beyond burning calories.

I go to bed at 11 and get up at 5.30. I have been a bit stressed lately too. I didn't think there would be a correlation. Tbh I wouldn't have the time for resistance training. I get home from work at 7.30pm and by the time I see my children and get them settled for the night the gym would be closed. I am buying an exercise bike so I can do something in the evenings

I go to bed at 11 and get up at 5.30. I have been a bit stressed lately too. I didn't think there would be a correlation. Tbh I wouldn't have the time for resistance training. I get home from work at 7.30pm and by the time I see my children and get them settled for the night the gym would be closed. I am buying an exercise bike so I can do something in the evenings

chronic stress and not sleeping enough will raise your cortisol levels so its something to look at if you can.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'll look into the keto diet. I tried paleo before but it wasn't for me.

Keto diet doesn't work for for so many people.... To get best results, you need to limit your carbs to very minimum. In my personal experience, target was 20-30 grams a day. In reality it was 20-40 grams a day. Most of the time on higher end of target spec.

One banana or slice of bread can have 30-40 grams of carbs. Even limiting carbs intake to less than 100 grams a day, will give good results over time.

By the way - weight loss not always about loosing weight. From time to time instead of loosing weight you'll change in size.

Anyway - best of luck. You need to find what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Not exavtl helpful. What I posted is already coming in at around 1000kcal. Anything less would be a bit extreme no?

Spend one day to measure out exactly what you are eating and put it into myfitnesspal. Make sure to add the milk, butter and oils when cooking, these really add up. 1000kcal seems really low for what you are eating.
    Do you feel hungry all the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

The best diet is the one that works for you.

It's science. Calories in and calories out.

If you can eat takeaway every day but stay under 1800 calories then you'll lose weight. That might mean you only eat a curry cheese chips and a quarter pounder or whatever but that might be easier for someone who likes their fatty food.

Some people would be happier eating their 1800 calories in lettuce or foods you'd be able to eat a high volume of.

That's why there's so many diets. Some people find some easier than others.

I could eat 1800 calories of bread, meat, salad etc.

But I'd find it so much easier to skip a meal and have something fatty like chips. It keeps me satisfied for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

6am bowl of porridge
    10.30 am 2 rice cakes

This definitely isn't right. If you are being very truthful to yourself I would see a nutritionist or something the weight should be falling off you. Only think could be wrong is the amount t of porridge your eating. A portion is 5 teaspoon if I remember but even still you be loosing from 15 stone regardless and your walk to and from work is more than a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Had a crap week. Hurt my back so ate like mad and no exercise. Up 1kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rhubarbcustard

Week 1 23st 13lb
    Week 2 23st 11.5 lb

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

MilfordBud wrote: »

Weight 1st Jan 243 lbs
    Weight 8th Jan 236 lbs

15th Jan 235 lbs. A loss is a loss but could have been better. Went home to visit my parents at the weekend and ate like a pig.

anewme wrote: »
    Had a crap week. Hurt my back so ate like mad and no exercise. Up 1kg.
    Nothing worse than the back going. On these grounds we will let you away with the increase. :D

MilfordBud wrote: »
    15th Jan 235 lbs. A loss is a loss but could have been better. Went home to visit my parents at the weekend and ate like a pig.

That's a normal amount to be loosing, you cant expect big losses like you first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

6am bowl of porridge
    10.30 am 2 rice cakes

6am bowl of porridge how many grams of porridge? Are you adding milk or cream and if so, how much? Are you adding any sweeteners, e.g. sugar, honey, fruit, etc?

10.30 am 2 rice cakes chocolate/yoghurt flavour rice cakes?
    1pm chicken breast cooked in spices w red pepper and rocket no carbs with this, rice or pasta or potatoes or anything? Is it just one breast?
    7.30pm scrambled eggs (3 eggs) and 2 wholegrain toast how much butter? Butter is extremely calorific.

How many lattes/cappucinos/etc? There must be something else going on here because 1000kcal and you should be losing weight rapidly as well as feeling a lack of energy.

anacc wrote: »
    6am bowl of porridge how many grams of porridge? Are you adding milk or cream and if so, how much? Are you adding any sweeteners, e.g. sugar, honey, fruit, etc?

10.30 am 2 rice cakes chocolate/yoghurt flavour rice cakes?
    1pm chicken breast cooked in spices w red pepper and rocket no carbs with this, rice or pasta or potatoes or anything? Is it just one breast?
    7.30pm scrambled eggs (3 eggs) and 2 wholegrain toast how much butter? Butter is extremely calorific.

How many lattes/cappucinos/etc? There must be something else going on here because 1000kcal and you should be losing weight rapidly as well as feeling a lack of energy.

The porridge comes with a measuring spoon. 2 scoops = 1 portion. 30g I think. I put milk in my porridge.

Just plain bland rice cakes.

No carbs. Cold chicken with the salad. 1 breast

Yes I like a bit of butter on my toast. Likewise in my egg mix.

No latte etc. I don't drink caffeine. I'll have max 1 decaf tea per day otherwise just water or peppermint tea.

I might try the keto diet as suggested above. Also I've dumbbells on the way too so I'll try and squeeze some weights into my evenings

Also I've dumbbells on the way too so I'll try and squeeze some weights into my evenings

look into compound exercise with dumbbells , there are plenty squat, dead lift, press type exercises that you can do with dumbbells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

The porridge comes with a measuring spoon. 2 scoops = 1 portion. 30g I think. I put milk in my porridge.

No latte etc. I don't drink caffeine. I'll have max 1 decaf tea per day otherwise just water or peppermint tea.

I might try the keto diet as suggested above. Also I've dumbbells on the way too so I'll try and squeeze some weights into my evenings

Not trying to sound funny but do you think there a chance your scales is broken?

Happened me before. Also only worked on certain surfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

The fact you can consume only 1000kcal a day and not lose weight while being 15st defies physics. There's a mistake there somewhere, 1000kcal is less than half your recommended kcal for just maintenance. Either there's a mistake or else you are a biological anomaly that can burn less than 1000kcal daily while weighting almost 100kg.

Have you been weighing and measuring exactly everything you consume and tracking that in myfitnesspal? I'd recommend doing that for a week or two and then see where you're at.

Keto is great if you've got a lot of weight to lose and if you can be very, very disciplined and determined, but it's not easy. Just a few pints at the weekend can throw you out of keto for 3 days. I lost 20kg on keto a number of years ago but now would be hesitant to back on keto to burn anything less.

Advertisement