Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

anacc wrote: »
    The fact you can consume only 1000kcal a day and not lose weight while being 15st defies physics. There's a mistake there somewhere, 1000kcal is less than half your recommended kcal for just maintenance. Either there's a mistake or else you are a biological anomaly that can burn less than 1000kcal daily while weighting almost 100kg.

Have you been weighing and measuring exactly everything you consume and tracking that in myfitnesspal? I'd recommend doing that for a week or two and then see where you're at.

Keto is great if you've got a lot of weight to lose and if you can be very, very disciplined and determined, but it's not easy. Just a few pints at the weekend can throw you out of keto for 3 days. I lost 20kg on keto a number of years ago but now would be hesitant to back on keto to burn anything less.
    I was under 2000kcal per day (usually under 1500) for a few months and lost no weight while exercising regularly and my apparent maintenance calories was around 3000.
    Now I stuck to it completely for 6 weeks and lost nothing. Perhaps my body was throwing a ****fit because of the lack of calories and weight loss was just around the corner. The alternative would be that certain processed foods declare their nutritional values incorrectly which wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

People should also track their waist measurement with a tape, if someone's weight didn't change in a month but waist dropped , that would be progress...^^ or your scales are broken :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I was under 2000kcal per day (usually under 1500) for a few months and lost no weight while exercising regularly and my apparent maintenance calories was around 3000.
    Now I stuck to it completely for 6 weeks and lost nothing. Perhaps my body was throwing a ****fit because of the lack of calories and weight loss was just around the corner. The alternative would be that certain processed foods declare their nutritional values incorrectly which wouldn't surprise me.

What was your weight and height?

What was your weight and height?
    120kg, 6 foot 2.

120kg, 6 foot 2.

Something wrong with your tracking so, because the BMR of a 120KG body is over 2000kcal.

• Advertisement

Something wrong with your tracking so, because the BMR of a 120KG body is over 2000kcal.

I measured everything and rounded up so there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭razor12345

Can someone post a link keto plan they followed previously

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Pretzill wrote: »

SW: 95kg
    CW: 86kg

There's a long way to go but losing the first stone has really made me feel so much better.

85kg at this week's weigh-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Wasn't going to post in this thread as I'm sure a few people know my account irl, but it's not like looking at me would be any less revealing :o

Essentially I have 6 months to lose a heap of weight, after a fairly steady 10 years going from about 17st to just shy of 22st (5'8, male, outrageous), with maybe 2st of that coming in the last 6 months I think (lots of personal stuff going on but it's all sh/te excuses at the end of the day).

Most of the calorie generator apps reckon ~1800 calories a day to lose 1KG a week, based on my stats and being sedentary. I'm setting a target of 1500 a day, with astro once a week and gym 4 times a week. Will be doing some form of IF and I think I'll go back to keto at some point, it's the only thing that's had me losing weight consistently at one point or another.

SW 139KG, no room for fukcups.

Best of luck with it Hots. We all have our reasons for getting trim again and I find calorie counting and low carb is helping me. I'm also mostly eating between 9-5pm so I guess there's a bit of IF in there too but not deliberately so.

1500 may be too little with the extra exercise so see how you go on the first week and adjust up if you have to. At the end of the day it's all about calorie deficit and taking each day at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Hi all. About me, I will be 52 in February, female, height 5 ft 6 inches, weight on 6th January was 10 stone 10.25 lbs.

I was slim throughout my twenties, thirties and forties but the weight starting creeping up the last couple of years. I had a good diet overall but my portions were too big. l overindulged over Christmas with food and drink so time to get back on track.

I run four times a week, averaging 20 miles a week.

I logged into my fitness pal on the 6th of January with a goal of one stone to lose. The app gave me a target of 1200 calories per day. I have never counted calories before and it was a real eye opener for me! Logging all my food including sauces, butter etc. was tough but I am getting the hang of it now. I have managed to stay at the 1200 calorie allowance each day. I do like a bottle of wine at the weekend and I am still having that (hoping the running will cross out the calories!).

Anyway as Friday is my weigh in day last Friday, 10th January I weighed 10 stone 6.25 lbs, a loss of four pounds.

I will weigh in tomorrow morning and hope to have lost something, no matter how small a loss.

Enjoying reading all your posts, good luck to you all with your weight loss journey.

hots wrote: »
    Wasn't going to post in this thread as I'm sure a few people know my account irl, but it's not like looking at me would be any less revealing :o

Essentially I have 6 months to lose a heap of weight, after a fairly steady 10 years going from about 17st to just shy of 22st (5'8, male, outrageous), with maybe 2st of that coming in the last 6 months I think (lots of personal stuff going on but it's all sh/te excuses at the end of the day).

Most of the calorie generator apps reckon ~1800 calories a day to lose 1KG a week, based on my stats and being sedentary. I'm setting a target of 1500 a day, with astro once a week and gym 4 times a week. Will be doing some form of IF and I think I'll go back to keto at some point, it's the only thing that's had me losing weight consistently at one point or another.

Good luck. It's a significant amount of weight to lose but it is achievable. Once the weight starts to come off you'll start to feel great.

However 1500kcal is quite low and might not be sustainable. If you begin to feel really hungry all the time it would be better to up your intake to 1800 rather than suffer, as suffering can cause massive loss of willpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mind you don’t injure yourself, even walking would be a great metabolism stoker for you at the start.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Mind you don’t injure yourself, even walking would be a great metabolism stoker for you at the start.

cheers, I'm going from 1 game of 5 aside (covering about 4.5k in an hour so not exactly flying but at least moving a bit) a week, up to that plus 4 lots of probably 45 min gym, in a row with weekends off, I'll have to see how it goes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭mojesius

Fell off the wagon big time today. I was just starving the whole day in work.

Had a Mexican salad bowl thing with prawns. Still hungry after that so made myself a toasted ham and cheese.

There were these delicious cookies and toffees in work that I gorged on all day. Not going NEAR myfitnesspal today.

I think my issue is that my breakfast isnt substantial enough. I've been having chopped melon with low fat natural yoghurt and granola.

Might switch to eggs and spinach tomorrow and see if that stops the cravings. Why do I do this to myself?! :D

Starting again tomorrow!

silverharp wrote: »

That's an excellent point. Ramping up exercise volume too quickly can often lead to injury, and I can speak to that from experience. When I started exercising regularly and my fitness started to improve I felt great and just wanted to go harder and further, and in the process I injured myself because my body hadn't enough time to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I had a quiet enough festive period so self-control wasn't totally out the window. This means I started the year in an ok position. Currently 1.4kg off target and it's going well.

I will continue the weigh-on-a-Friday trend as the previous weekend is usually out of the system by then!

Week 1 03/01/2020 - 83.2kg
    Week 2 10/01/2020 - 82.7kg
    Week 3 17/01/2020 - 82.4kg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can I ask some of you for some info on my fitness pal please? Is it very time consuming? How do you know the calories in a meal you make for a family? For example if I made Shepards pie and had a serving how do I know the calories? Does it help people? Is it as simple as eat less calories, which I know is easier said than done!! I'd like to loose about one stone. Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Can I ask some of you for some info on my fitness pal please? Is it very time consuming? How do you know the calories in a meal you make for a family? For example if I made Shepards pie and had a serving how do I know the calories? Does it help people? Is it as simple as eat less calories, which I know is easier said than done!! I'd like to loose about one stone. Thanks for the help

I made a pizza tonight.

Dunnes Base
    Dunnes Pasata
    Dunnes Mozarella
    Dunnes Parmesan
    Dunnes Serano Ham

Scanned everything on MFP with the barcode reader, worked out at 690 cals per half pizza.

Just scan it all in with the barcode, 90% of produce is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It gets easier the more you use it as it stores what you have scanned in or added.

It's not really time consuming

Your example of shepherds Pie would mean scanning or weighting each ingredient.
    If you used a full tray of mince you can just scan the barcode but for the vegetables to get it accurate they will need to be weighed.
    It will add no more than 5 minutes to your preparation and as I said it will keep the details you enter to use again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Week 1 15st 3.5lbs
    Week 2 14st 10.5lbs

Week 3 14st 10lbs

Down half a lb. think I took for granted how easy it was to be down the previous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 The Helpful Engineer

I will join you all in recording my progress. I have been trying myself for a while not using MyFitnessPal to record food and cycling. I have been following you all your progress without posting myself.

Starting weight - 91kg (24 months ago)
    November 2019 weight - 85 kg
    Current weight - 82 kg
    Long term goal - 74kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Buy a hula hoop with weights in it.

Most of my meals are homemade so I just put in the ingredients and amount for this one though there were some processed additions-

Chicken Brocolli Bake

1 chicken breast = 180
    Brocolli Florets Steamed = 54
    Cup of mushrooms = 28
    Half a tin of Lidl Chicken Soup = 106
    30g of Feta Cheese = 80
    pat of butter (1inch sq) (fry chicken) = 36
    484 calories for dinner

It is an approximate for instance I'm not too fussy on measuring my veg out - but things that have a tendency to be higher like the processed soup I was able to find exact calories for on MFP. I will always count any oil or butter too.
    I would question some of My Fitness Pal things for instance it said there was no salt in the soup (which I find hard to believe) and if I put in my exercise I think it over calculates the calories I've burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Deise boii wrote: »
    Hello

I'm nearly 36 just under 6ft and in and around 15st 8lbs. I am fed up of being on the big side.

I used to play gaa and would go for a run once a week. I know I need to increase that. I can go for 10k in under an hour which I know would be quite slow but suppose it's a start.

Basically I'm here looking for advice about ways to get down to under 15st maybe closer to 14. I want to change my diet as sometimes it can be good but when work is busy and working long hours I notice it goes to pot

I had ideas that other people would join in here and we support eachother to try and loose a bit or just for encouragement.

Any takers?

I lost a stone tracking my calories so basically working out what your BMR is a subtract 500 calories thats about a loss of a pound a week if you stick to it. I also worked out 3 times a week in the gym with a trainer id even recommend working out with a trainer a few times just to get good form and know what you are doing otherwise you could end up injuring yourself thats if you are like me and had no idea about form or how to correctly use gym equipment. Really the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories ( in a safe manner) weights are great because you tone up as you are losing the weight I would never just do solely cardio. On youtube if you go to a video by Gauge girl training and its called How to calculate Macros for weight loss its very helpful and then i track what I eat on Myfitness pal

SW 139KG 13/01/2020
    CW 136.5KG 20/01/2020

Expected a touch more for Wk1 but a decent start, had 2 nights events within that and managed to average out to 1550cals a day on average.

Have another boozy weekend this weekend so really just hoping for any lower number by next Monday.

Expected a touch more for Wk1 but a decent start, had 2 nights events within that and managed to average out to 1550cals a day on average.

Have another boozy weekend this weekend so really just hoping for any lower number by next Monday.

2.5kg is a great loss!

2.5kg is a great loss!

Cheers, first deckchair off the titanic :o

It is an approximate for instance I'm not too fussy on measuring my veg out - but things that have a tendency to be higher like the processed soup I was able to find exact calories for on MFP. I will always count any oil or butter too.
    I would question some of My Fitness Pal things for instance it said there was no salt in the soup (which I find hard to believe) and if I put in my exercise I think it over calculates the calories I've burned.

I only really use and trust mfp for cals, if I've using the macros I'll check everything I scan in to be sure because there's a bundle of bad data on there. Cooking without oil/butter is a definite winner, I'd rather have the extra bit of meat/veg on the plate than the oil disappearing in front of me! Only thing I willfully don't count is herbs and spices, far too much of a ballache.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Week 1 15 Stone 12
    Week 2 15 Stone 10
    Week 3 15 Stone 10
    Week 4 15 Stone 8

Finally some small progress.
    Less booze and calories restricted to 2000, counting everything.

2000 is still a surprisingly large amount of food when i think about it.

Feels good to see the scales move!

Going to start weighing in on a Friday so expecting less this week.

Advertisement