Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I felt so good during the week,, I cycled 30k during the week, only to step on the scales this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Their fish are surprisingly low in calories. Can that be right that a fresh cod from beshoffs is only 300 calories?

I would have serious doubts to teh accuracy of the calories for their fish products - 5% fat seems far to low for me but perhaps they don't deep fry them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I would have serious doubts to teh accuracy of the calories for their fish products - 5% fat seems far to low for me but perhaps they don't deep fry them??

Agreed I find all of their calories hard to believe.

I wouldn't be heavy if those calories were accurate haha

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Right, Im 5ft 11 and been running on a treadmill at 9.5kph on 1% incline every day for 30 mins the last 2 weeks and down 225lbs to 220lbs but feck me the running is not getting any easier at all, clean diet etc and 36 years old but never felt as bad, then again 225lbs was the heaviest ive ever been, put on 8lbs over christmas alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Their fish are surprisingly low in calories. Can that be right that a fresh cod from beshoffs is only 300 calories?

Hard to believe but I guess they have to publish accurate info. The fish itself is low calorie it's just the batter really that could be calorie dense.

• Advertisement

I felt so good during the week,, I cycled 30k during the week, only to step on the scales this morning.
    Welcome aboard. Cycling is great for weight loss I found. I have to get back on the bike myself. An hour if decent cycling burns 1000 calories but it's the diet where you will make the real progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

iamtony wrote: »
    Hard to believe but I guess they have to publish accurate info. The fish itself is low calorie it's just the batter really that could be calorie dense.

I remember kanoodle advertised the Pad Thai dish as 380 cals for a few years, I questioned it at the counter and they said by law it has to be right.

It’s now listed at almost 1000!!!!!!!!!

Put on a few lbs from eating there alone over the years

I remember kanoodle advertised the Pad Thai dish as 380 cals for a few years, I questioned it at the counter and they said by law it has to be right.

It’s now listed at almost 1000!!!!!!!!!

Put on a few lbs from eating there alone over the years
    Ha ha. So I guess I've been living a lie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

iamtony wrote: »

Hi all, don’t forget that vegetable oils, and in general food fried in poor quality oils are hugely responsible for inflammation in our bodies.

It’s not just what you eat, it’s also the quality of the produce your eating, and the quality of the method of cooking.

Take an overall view of the food process if you can. I’ve been very strictly keto for close to a year now (medical reasons) and tbh it’s absolutely fine. Your choosing to take care of yourself and it’s better than any cake, beer etc etc could ever taste.

Well done to those on this journey. And don’t worry about only seeing a little improvement on the scales, it will happen. And while you may be disappointed at only seeing a one pound resulting this week/month. Remember the reversal you have made in the direction your weight was previously going, and therefore your health, and therefore your future is going that direction also. Don’t be hard on yourself. Your fighting every day and you’ll get your rewards.

Well done all !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Week 1 15st 3.5lbs
    Week 2 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 3 14st 10lbs
    Week 4 14st 10.5 lbs

Back up half a pound this week. One positive is is have started back exercising again. But you can't out train a bad diet and the steak and red wine from holidays this week has caught up with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Week 1 15st 3.5lbs
    Week 2 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 3 14st 10lbs
    Week 4 14st 10.5 lbs

the steak and red wine from holidays this week has caught up with me.

But your aware of it now, and you’ve already recognised the issue and are rectifying it. That’s a huge progressive step to have made. Well done.

Looking at your figures I see a person that has lost a good amount of weight in only four weeks. Not someone who has put half a pound back on !

Don’t let your head beat you up. Your doing really well, and your focussing on the day to day which is the most important.

Btw Steak is not a bad thing, quite the opposite, some sauces can be bad obviously but a steak with some fat on it will not cause you any problems in this lifestyle. Good luck for the coming week, back on the horse and smash it again. #thumbsUp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Right, Im 5ft 11 and been running on a treadmill at 9.5kph on 1% incline every day for 30 mins the last 2 weeks and down 225lbs to 220lbs but feck me the running is not getting any easier at all, clean diet etc and 36 years old but never felt as bad, then again 225lbs was the heaviest ive ever been, put on 8lbs over christmas alone...

Why are you running on a treadmill? Are you trying to get fit or lose weight? Instead of running on the treadmill which is torture and will burn about 300Kcal in half hour at your weight just eat 300Kcal less throughout the day. I'm sure you're tracking your calories so just factor it into that.

Why are you running on a treadmill? Are you trying to get fit or lose weight? Instead of running on the treadmill which is torture and will burn about 300Kcal in half hour at your weight just eat 300Kcal less throughout the day. I'm sure you're tracking your calories so just factor it into that.

Well both really, lose weight and get fit. To be honest once I start getting fitter and it gets easier I actually enjoy running on the treadmill more so for my mental health, its just on this occasion of starting a fitness regime im finding it tougher than usual...not sure would I put it down to age or just being too unfit and overweight.

Thankfully though i've noticed the last 2-3 days of running have felt much easier so im starting to get stronger, have increased the speed to 10kph today with a goal of 12kph hopefully within a few weeks, have found losing weight running on a treadmill in the past that once I hit 12kph in terms of speed and the resulting increased fitness level the weight starts melting off rapidly...

This lad "Billy The Titan" is inspirational for those of you running to burn calories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kBc1GFCA_w&t=230s

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Getting myself a bit more organised this week with having food prepped and times for exercise identified . I got a mad notion over Christmas and signed up to do a 10k on the 8th of March. I've been training up to about 6k so far and I'm really feeling it in my knees and hips which is a little worrying. Went to the gym before work today to do some weights and use the treadmill. I found the treadmill SO much harder than running outside.
    I went from 110kg in September 2018 to a low of 94kg last April. The weight crept up to 97/98kg when we had a new arrival at home. The weight loss seems to be at an absolute snail's pace at this stage though.

Bassfish wrote: »
    Getting myself a bit more organised this week with having food prepped and times for exercise identified . I got a mad notion over Christmas and signed up to do a 10k on the 8th of March. I've been training up to about 6k so far and I'm really feeling it in my knees and hips which is a little worrying. Went to the gym before work today to do some weights and use the treadmill. I found the treadmill SO much harder than running outside.
    I went from 110kg in September 2018 to a low of 94kg last April. The weight crept up to 97/98kg when we had a new arrival at home. The weight loss seems to be at an absolute snail's pace at this stage though.

Fair play mate, keep it up and the weight will eventually start falling off fast! Yeah the treadmill can be boring as hell which makes it more difficult.

I would suggest to take a break from training if your training daily or every other day and getting pains etc, listen to your body. A small break will do wonders for recovery and you will be stronger coming back in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Fair play mate, keep it up and the weight will eventually start falling off fast! Yeah the treadmill can be boring as hell which makes it more difficult.

I would suggest to take a break from training if your training daily or every other day and getting pains etc, listen to your body. A small break will do wonders for recovery and you will be stronger coming back in a few days!
    Ya, gonna take a day or two off and mix it up with some swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Anamdearcadh

Joined for motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

1st Jan 243 lbs
    8th Jan 236 lbs
    15th Jan 235 lbs
    22nd Jan 233 lbs
    29th Jan 228 lbs

Not sure how that's as big a drop as it is. Been watching my food intake but shouldn't be that big. Skipped circuits as my knee is very bruised still. Did two swims with sauna after so it might be water weight related. Had a big night out Friday for work but had all my food set up for the next day in advance to avoid any hangover induced crap food/takeaways. Have a wedding this weekend but will try use the same moderation I did at the work party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Bassfish wrote: »

Fair play, great to have something to work towards. Like you said, swimming seems to be a decent swap out, or I know some people throw in cross-trainer time instead of 1 treadmill day just to reduce the impact a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

hots wrote: »
    SW 139KG 13/01/2020
    136.5KG 20/01/2020
    CW 136 KG 29/01/2020

Half a kilo down, I'll take it by the skin of my teeth, weekend turned into a very very heavy 4 days of boozing (Guinness & spirits) and eating (frys and meals out although not to the excess I would normally/used go to) so to come out of that without a gain I'm happy enough.

Have a clear enough few weeks now so want to make some good headway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

MilfordBud wrote: »
    1st Jan 243 lbs
    8th Jan 236 lbs
    15th Jan 235 lbs
    22nd Jan 233 lbs
    29th Jan 228 lbs

Not sure how that's as big a drop as it is.

That's 15lbs in 4 weeks! That's a good drop. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

MilfordBud wrote: »
    1st Jan 243 lbs
    8th Jan 236 lbs
    15th Jan 235 lbs
    22nd Jan 233 lbs
    29th Jan 228 lbs

Not sure how that's as big a drop as it is. Been watching my food intake but shouldn't be that big. Skipped circuits as my knee is very bruised still. Did two swims with sauna after so it might be water weight related. Had a big night out Friday for work but had all my food set up for the next day in advance to avoid any hangover induced crap food/takeaways. Have a wedding this weekend but will try use the same moderation I did at the work party.

What height are you, male or female?

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    What height are you, male or female?

6'3" , Male. 32, 33 next week.

Pretzill wrote: »
    That's 15lbs in 4 weeks! That's a good drop. Well done.

Cheers. I'm a bit surprised by it but I'm assuming half or more of it is water weight anyway. Looking forward to the knee being fully healed and able to do a bit more intense stuff on it. I'm sure it will slow down from now but I've a nice bit of a start built on the eventual target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Less than a pound gone this week for me which brings my loss for January 8lbs - I'm quite happy that I'm averaging 2lb a week it feels so slow...but I'm in for the long haul. 24lbs down in total :)

Week 1: 96.2kg
    Week 2: Didn't weigh
    Week 3: 91.6kg
    Week 4: 90.6kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

OK, time for me to stop lurking here and start doing this.

Week 1 - 269lbs
    Week 2 - 264lbs

I'm only 5'9" so a hell of a long way to go...:eek:

?Cee?view wrote: »
    OK, time for me to stop lurking here and start doing this.

Week 1 - 269lbs
    Week 2 - 264lbs

I'm only 5'9" so a hell of a long way to go...:eek:

First step is the hardest. We are a good bunch here so welcome.

5lbs in a week is nothing to be sniffed at either. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

First step is the hardest. We are a good bunch here so welcome.

5lbs in a week is nothing to be sniffed at either. Well done.

Many thanks! That's put a smile on my face and is really encouraging. I'm not the type to want to go to some public group and engage is self inflicted fat shaming :D so thanks again. I really think people here will be a great help

• Advertisement

Week 1: 96.2kg
    Week 2: Didn't weigh
    Week 3: 91.6kg
    Week 4: 90.6kg

Well done, are you still off the drink? I still haven't weighted in but I dont think I did good:o

Advertisement