Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abc2304

Have you ever tried intermittent fasting? It's basically not consuming any calories for set periods of the day (that includes milk in coffee, but not black coffee). On a day-to-day basis I try 12:12 (eating only between 8am-8pm, and nothing from 8pm - 8am). And then twice a week I do 16:8 where I don't eat from 8pm until 12 noon the following day. I have found it great for loosing weight, but also improved energy and less 'brain fog'.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

abc2304 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried intermittent fasting? It's basically not consuming any calories for set periods of the day (that includes milk in coffee, but not black coffee). On a day-to-day basis I try 12:12 (eating only between 8am-8pm, and nothing from 8pm - 8am). And then twice a week I do 16:8 where I don't eat from 8pm until 12 noon the following day. I have found it great for loosing weight, but also improved energy and less 'brain fog'.

Yes doing it for a month now. I got hooked after seeing the absolutely unreal before and after pics and stories on the intermittent fasting Sub-Reddit. That was astounding, and everyone was posting how relatively easy it was. Also the other benefits you mention and Autophagy. I haven’t an awful lot to lose maybe less than a stone BUT my body fat percentage is high, which I want to address. I now use an App and do 18:6 and a couple 24 in the mix. I’d love to do a much longer fast.

Actually listening to Jason Fung on YouTube right now. Padraig Mor mentioned it on his previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Week 0 269lbs - 19'3"
    Week 1 264lbs - 18'12"
    Week 2 262lbs - 18'10"
    Week 3 257lbs - 18’5”
    Week 4 257lbs - 18'5"

Disappointed with that, as I wanted to break a stone in a month.

So anyway, f**k it, I'm keeping going with it. I went a bit mad (as a reaction), with eating sweets this morning that were left out in the canteen at work, but I'm back on it now.

I think a good thing is that I've started thinking already where I'm going wrong. I've been taking "healthy" home lunches to work in soup containers. I ate one at home this lunchtime; poured it out on a plate, and when I see it on a plate I realise that I'm eating way too much. The portion was huge!

So now I know I'm simply eating too much. I need to continue eating clean, but cut portion sizes.

Onwards and downwards!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Anamdearcadh

Start: 10.2.20
    11 stone

10.02.20: 11 stone
    17.02.20: 10.12 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have always said I hate the idea of calorie counting and dieting in general but preferred to just make better choices ie more salads for lunch, less take sways, less rubbish in general.

However the more I hear of intermittent fasting it appeals to me as I often have to force myself to eat breakfast and it’s not a meal I particularly enjoy (during the week)

Has anyone any links to good articles on IF for beginners?

Also would it be any use to do this for 5 days on and 2 off? ( as I love having breakfast with the kids at the weekend)

Does a small amount of milk in tea/coffee break the fast?
    Would a small amount of sweetener break the fast? I currently have a half spoon of sugar in my tea/coffee in the mornings and looking for alternatives

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    ......)

Would a small amount of sweetener break the fast? I currently have a half spoon of sugar in my tea/coffee in the mornings and looking for alternatives

Anything with calories breaks the fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would a small amount of sweetener break the fast?

Milk: Technically yes. But I'd be surprised it it made a difference. It's likely <10cals
    Sweetner: As long as its zero cal, no. If sugar, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I have always said I hate the idea of calorie counting and dieting in general but preferred to just make better choices ie more salads for lunch, less take sways, less rubbish in general.

However the more I hear of intermittent fasting it appeals to me as I often have to force myself to eat breakfast and it’s not a meal I particularly enjoy (during the week)

Has anyone any links to good articles on IF for beginners?

Also would it be any use to do this for 5 days on and 2 off? ( as I love having breakfast with the kids at the weekend)

IF does claim to have some health benefits though none proving, the real idea behind IF is that you can only eat between a certain time so you've less time to consume calories thus giving you a calorie deficit, also you're less likely to snack if you know you shouldn't eat during that time. Don't go crazy for breakfast or lunch like fry-ups or large pizzas, try to eat nutritionally high low calorie foods for these meals.

Putting milk and sugar in your tea/coffee is counted as breaking the fast plus psychologically you're more likely to add a biscuit or a sandwich later on and then your diet is finished. Though if you think youre mentally able to add them and not snack then it's fine.

And 5 days on 2 off is a very common way to IF but don't go overboard on your days off.

Augeo wrote: »
    Anything with calories breaks the fast.

But does it matter? In other words, does just the few calories negate the positive effect of the fast?

?Cee?view wrote: »
    But does it matter? In other words, does just the few calories negate the positive effect of the fast?

Energy in - energy out = a + is a calorie surplus
    Energy in - energy out = a - is a calorie deficit

I'd consider the positive effect of a fast being less time left to eat maintenance cals so I'd consider a drop of milk or spoon of sugar insignificant enough if you are hitting a 500kcal/day deficit (that should manifest itself as a pound a week in weight lost).

IF isn't magic, if your maintenance cals is 3000kcals/day and you fast 23 hours a day and eat 3000kcals in the other hour you'll lose no weight, that's what I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

So I had kids having a sleepover last night and I ordered 60 euro worth of pizzas and dippers and they didn't eat it all and I couldn't let it go to waste so their wont be a weight in from me this week, I basically eat an 18" buffalo pizza and some dippers. One of my issues is I hate to see food wasted:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

?Cee?view wrote: »

There's very few proven health benefits to IF, so having some milk or sugar won't off set anything. As a previous poster said it's all about the calories you consume and the calories you use. Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight.

Eating 1 meal a day that's a 3000 calorie burger meal will be worse than eating 24 meals of leafy vegetables every hour.

* There has been some health benefits to water only fasting. Check out Alan Goldhamer for information but don't take everything he says as gospel, he is very much 'alternative medicine' but he has had some cases published in some medical journals.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

1st Jan 243 lbs
    8th Jan 236 lbs
    15th Jan 235 lbs
    22nd Jan 233 lbs
    29th Jan 228 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    12th Feb 228lbs
    19th Feb 227 lbs

1lb loss this week. Exercise has been good but diet has been cat. Need to refocus on that side. No boozing now for next couple of weeks so that should also help.

MilfordBud wrote: »
    1st Jan 243 lbs
    8th Jan 236 lbs
    15th Jan 235 lbs
    22nd Jan 233 lbs
    29th Jan 228 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    12th Feb 228lbs
    19th Feb 227 lbs

1lb loss this week. Exercise has been good but diet has been cat. Need to refocus on that side. No boozing now for next couple of weeks so that should also help.

Your pattern of loss looks and sounds like mine typically. I'm all excited for the first few weeks and then I stagnate and get bored. You lost just over half a stone in three weeks and you're pretty much there since. This is the trap I generally fall into.

What happens with you to make the weight loss stop? I'm thinking that in my case I just get bored and lose the will to go on. I'm hoping that being on this gets me through the bored phase.

Well done on the refocus food wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abc2304

Energy in - energy out = a + is a calorie surplus
    Energy in - energy out = a - is a calorie deficit

I'd consider the positive effect of a fast being less time left to eat maintenance cals so I'd consider a drop of milk or spoon of sugar insignificant enough if you are hitting a 500kcal/day deficit (that should manifest itself as a pound a week in weight lost).

IF isn't magic, if your maintenance cals is 3000kcals/day and you fast 23 hours a day and eat 3000kcals in the other hour you'll lose no weight, that's what I believe.

I have to disagree, I think the human body is a lot more complicated than merely calories in vs calories out. I personally believe that eating 3000kcals spread out over the day is not the same as consuming 3000kcals during an 8 hour window and then fasting for 16 hours. Here is an interesting piece from Harvard Medical School: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156

With IF, I think the real benefits come from giving your digestive system a break. In addition to weight-loss I also notice increased energy and reduced brain fog, and I have much less bloating in general.

I usually IF for 16 hours twice per week and for 12 hours on the other 5 days. I would highly recommend for anyone to try it, even for just a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Managed to lose that 1lb I put up last week and a few ounces more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11.3kg or 25lbs gone.

Decided to try the intermittent fasting route on Tuesday night. Last ate around the 9 o clock mark. Woke up yesterday morning and when making kids breakfast took a big gulp of milk and then realized and spat it out everywhere :-) I did hold off till 13:30 to eat properly though which wasn't too bad.

Trained last night till 9 so had last food at 9:30 and I feel it this morning now. Think it just a mental thing at the minute.

Just here drinking a coffee with a tiny bit of slimline milk and some zero calories sweetener. Don't think I could do it otherwise so gona stick to that for now and see if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Just here drinking a coffee with a tiny bit of slimline milk and some zero calories sweetener. Don't think I could do it otherwise so gona stick to that for now and see if it works

Once you go black you'll never go back :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

hots wrote: »
    SW 139KG 13/01/2020
    136.5KG 20/01/2020
    136 KG 29/01/2020
    133.5KG 05/02/2020
    CW 135 KG 19/02/2020

Fell off the wagon for a couple of weeks, first day back in the gym again yesterday, badly needed. Yesterdat and today 1500cal days, tomorrow the same but then boozey saturday. Trying to lose approx 1.5/2KG a week for the next 5 weeks as a target, shooting very high but have an event at the end of march and would be really good to get to under 127KG. Bare minimum I want under 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).

• Advertisement

I have to disagree, I think the human body is a lot more complicated than merely calories in vs calories out. I personally believe that eating 3000kcals spread out over the day is not the same as consuming 3000kcals during an 8 hour window and then fasting for 16 hours. ...............

From my own experience a 700/800 kcal deficit per day resulted in a 1.5lb/week weight loss, consistently over 6 months.

That's fact, not personal belief. When I went back to maintenance kcals I stopped losing weight.

Calories is energy, you burn what you burn.
    IF may have an impact on the rate of burn but I would think it's minimal in % terms.
    ........... I personally believe that eating 3000kcals spread out over the day is not the same as consuming 3000kcals during an 8 hour window and then fasting for 16 hours. ...............

Folk who don't actually harp on IF fasting aren't eating every hour. I've breakfast at work at 9am and rarely eat much after 7pm.
    ........... In addition to weight-loss I also notice increased energy and reduced brain fog, and I have much less bloating in general................
    I reckon the weight loss is due to a calorie deficit and so too is the reduced brain fog and bloating.

IF is essentially introducing a calorie deficit.

IF and eat your maintenance kcals and see how you get on ;)

the Harvard spiel essentially details this..............
    "“There is evidence to suggest that the circadian rhythm fasting approach, where meals are restricted to an eight to 10-hour period of the daytime, is effective,” she confirmed, though generally she recommends that people “use an eating approach that works for them and is sustainable to them.”

So, here’s the deal. There is some good scientific evidence suggesting that circadian rhythm fasting, when combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle, can be a particularly effective approach to weight loss, especially for people at risk for diabetes. (However, people with advanced diabetes or who are on medications for diabetes, people with a history of eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia, and pregnant or breastfeeding women should not attempt intermittent fasting unless under the close supervision of a physician who can monitor them.)

Key piece is "evidence to suggest", that's not fact.
    Energy in v energy out is fact.......... fair enough loads of folk might find eating 2 rather then 3 meals a day effective in losing weight as they cannot seem to control their energy in amount by any other way. Grand. IF is still essentially just a diet, a reduction in intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Forgot to weigh myself this morning, so I'll have to skip the takeaway tonight and weigh in tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

From my own experience a 700/800 kcal deficit per day resulted in a 1.5lb/week weight loss, consistently over 6 months.

That's fact, not personal belief. When I went back to maintenance kcals I stopped losing weight.

Calories is energy, you burn what you burn.
    IF may have an impact on the rate of burn but I would think it's minimal in % terms.

Folk who don't actually harp on IF fasting aren't eating every hour. I've breakfast at work at 9am and rarely eat much after 7pm.

I reckon the weight loss is due to a calorie deficit and so too is the reduced brain fog and bloating.

IF is essentially introducing a calorie deficit.

IF and eat your maintenance kcals and see how you get on ;)

Yes and no I think. I would have been "it's all down to calories" myself until recently when my brother pushed me to Jason Fung's Obesity Code book, the central thesis oh which is that weight is essentially determined by insulin resistance. I was extremely sceptical but the referenced science seemed to stack up (and I am a biological scientist). Been doing it (IF and ~keto diet) for six weeks and the results in my post above I'm really happy with. Obviously there's a calorie element to it too - quite possibly most of the effect - but I think, even aside from weight loss etc, it's undoubtedly true that giving the body a break from insulin (by not eating) is 'a good thing'. Changing one's mindset from "must eat three meals plus snacks" to "nah, I don't need to eat now" has been a very important change for me.

Week 1 15st 3.5lbs
    Week 2 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 3 14st 10lbs
    Week 4 14st 10.5 lbs
    Week 5 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 6 14st 9.5lbs
    Week 7 14st 11lbs

Week 8 14st 10lbs

Started trying intermittent fasting since Tuesday and gona give it a try for a couple of weeks of 5 days on 2 days off so will be interested to see if there any improvement.

So far I think it is also helping with mindset of not picking at 10/11 at night and also when breaking the fast I thought I'd be craving massive meals but it is not the case.

........Obviously there's a calorie element to it too - quite possibly most of the effect -............

That's my point. Most of the effect is the calorie element IMO.
    If folk who lost weight by means of IF tracked their calories and weight loss that would be very clear :)
    The weight loss is by means of a calorie deficit that is the result of fasting for a large window of their waking day.

Well done on your weight loss, IF and Keto is my idea of hell tbh so fair play, I hope it continues to work for you longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sweetlikejelly

Hi All, hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread! I am also sick of being fat!

My friends are getting married in mid-June and I would love to actually feel good on the day and to have photos that I can happily look back on and not delete or hide. I have lost 7lbs and have about 29lbs to go. I know I won't lose that amount by the day but even losing a portion of it would go a long way towards improving my confidence.

I had McDonalds with colleagues at lunch and regret it so much now but I know I can't allow it to derail me for the entire weekend. Weighed myself this morning so will do a weigh in next Friday morning again and hoping to be down 2lbs by eating really healthily and getting myself into the gym!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Well done to everyone here on their weight loss journeys. I haven't posted before but I have been reading all the weight loss threads for the past year, and have found them a good support. Although I really envy the speed at which many of you see the pounds drop - some of you have lost in a few weeks what it has taken me 6 months to achieve!

Today marks a year since I decided I had to seriously do something about my weight. My weight gain was rapid and mostly down to medical issues and my diet was pretty good anyway, so it has been hard. I'm down from 80kg to 62.5kg. That puts me just barely in the healthy BMI range. My target, agreed with doctors and dietitian, was 64kg. But now that I have reached it I'm not really happy to stop there. Although I am pleased with my progress this year, I want to be back at 54kg.

My calorie allowance has been 1200 for the past year (lowest the dietitian will approve). Over Christmas I ate a bit more, though still healthy, and I have found that I will gain weight if I go over a weekly average of 1500. I'm advised to go up to 1400 now and just try maintain, but I'm not really happy with that. I use MFP and I weigh everything and record everything, so I'm confident the calories are fairly accurate. It's just frustrating when I see friends of a similar size lose weight while still eating 1400-1500 calories. And if they cut to 1200 they would see rapid results.

Just posting here mostly to get my own thoughts in order and consider how to proceed. Best of luck to you all and thanks for the inspiration over the past year.

At 1400 you could still lose the guts of a pound/month if 1500/day is maintenance cals.
    A pound a month is 5kg over a year, it's not at all insignificant 👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

At 1400 you could still lose the guts of a pound/month if 1500/day is maintenance cals.
    A pound a month is 5kg over a year, it's not at all insignificant 👍

That's probably the best way of looking at it. Every small loss adds up. At least keep going in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just had a disaster of a week here. birhtdays everywhere including my own.

Back on the wagon now. Hope to get to 70 kg by May

current weight 23-02 73.9 kg.

Advertisement