Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).
    Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).
    Week 9: 251.9 lbs (-49.7).

Just shading under 18 stone now. Two months ago to the day (second Friday of Jan) I was 21.5 stone - can't say I'm displeased with that progress!

Augeo wrote: »
    Do you know what calories you take in now compared to before?

If your weight was constant prior to 8 weeks ago it looks like you are eating an average of 2500 calories/day less.

If you are eating nothing for 24 hrs at a time that's quite likely.

Haven't been counting then or now, but have previously. Given my max weight obviously I was 'over consuming', but I don't think I was that bad either. Obviously I've had a massive drop in calorie intake and there are days I have zero - however, there's no way that my average daily intake has dropped 2500 calories. e.g. this week I've dropped ~ 6lbs which is approx equivalent to not eating at all for ~9 days assuming a basal metabolic rate of 2300 calories. I assure you I did eat this week, including a feed of beer on Saturday, over a bottle of wine, quite a few chocolates and sweets last weekend (naughty!). Maybe there is something to the whole 'body set weight is determined by insulin' thing after all?!

If you weren't gaining weight you weren't overly consuming though :)

I've a maintenance cals of 3000/day doing no cardio if I weight train 4 days/week and I'd not break a sweat..... that's at 13/14 stone.

There's no way at 18 stone your maintenance cals are 2300.

I don't want to p1ss on your parade but "Maybe there is something to the whole 'body set weight is determined by insulin' thing after all?!", perosnally, it's mainly calories in v calories out.

If you eat nothing some days it's quite likely your average daily intake has dropped by 2500 kcals IMO.

If you counted current calories for a week it would tell alot :)

If you were eating an average of 3500kcals/day ......... at 21 stone I reckon you were (that's conservative too IMO) ....... and if you are now eating 2500kcals/day 5 days a week....... that's 24,500 v 12,500 .......... that's an average deficit of 1800 kcals/day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

1st Jan 243 lbs
    8th Jan 236 lbs
    15th Jan 235 lbs
    22nd Jan 233 lbs
    29th Jan 228 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    12th Feb 228lbs
    19th Feb 227 lbs
    28th Feb 225 lbs
    6th March - Didn't weigh
    13th March 222 lbs

Not a massive loss over two weeks but happy to still be going down. Twinged the hamstring playing 7 a side but a week off and it was grand. Made me refocus on my diet as I wasn't able to out exercise it. Down to the last notch on the belt now. Circuits and indoor obviously cancelled for foreseeable future. I'm on work from home for the next couple of weeks given the current situation. Have a few free weights and things at home but diet will be key to avoid regaining.

MilfordBud wrote: »
    28th Feb 225 lbs
    6th March - Didn't weigh
    13th March 222 lbs............

3 lbs in two weeks is still a marvellous result.
    Fair play, never underestimate the achievement any weight loss is :)
    We've all (most) of us been in the place where we lose none, so when you get to weight loss stage consistently a loss is a loss :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Following the guidelines from Jason Fung's Obesity Code book: intermittent fasting (24 / 36 hour), no refined carbs (bread, sugar, pasta, etc) and a keto type diet, no snacking between meals.

Have you done any longer fasts Padraig? I have kind of organically transitioned to mostly 20:4 (or OMAD some days). I have done one long one (41 hours) but might use this time to attempt a >42 hour. You might have mentioned but are you using the app Zero? When do you do the 36 hours, weekdays or weekends?

QueenRizla wrote: »
    Have you done any longer fasts Padraig? I have kind of organically transitioned to mostly 20:4 (or OMAD some days). I have done one long one (41 hours) but might use this time to attempt a >42 hour. You might have mentioned but are you using the app Zero? When do you do the 36 hours, weekdays or weekends?

Almost all 24 or 36 hour fasts. Longest was 41 hours as well actually. I kinda roll with it, but generally alternate day fasting with one 36hr per week, although the last two weeks I've upped that to two 36hr fasts. I quite often do a 36hr Sunday evening (after dinner) to Tuesday morning (breakfast). Just started another 36hr this evening actually. Honestly, I hardly even notice doing the 24hr fasts, and the 36hr are mostly fine too, except sometimes being a bit tired the second night. I use Life fasting app, but also Google calendar to schedule them.

Week 10: 249.1 lbs (-52.5).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Hey Padraig. What height are you? Im starting tomorrow at a weight of 300lbs and im 6ft tall. lm planning to do alot of fasting also . Im probably going to do omad and eat a good home cooked dinner at night. Ive lost alot of weight before . Got down to 230lbs and I went a bit crazy on the fasting. Fasted for 5 days one time

Mellor wrote: »
    Walking an hour to work isn't particularly intense exercise tbh. The reason you can do it twice a day is because it's low intensity. Sure it's better than nothing, it will help if you are sitting at a desk all day. But many people who work on their feet manage that amount of walking without even noticing. With little impact to their weight.

I would say the very fact walking is low intensity means you aren't limited to the amount you can do if you have the time . True high intensity exercise burns more calories than low intensity when time doing both is equal but how much time can you spend doing intense exercise? 20 to 30 minutes max but you can walk for hours . A 3 hour walk is far superior calorie burn wise than a 20 minute HIIT effort. And the post exercise after burn affect some people believe is bull****.

Anyway for weight loss the best results are gotten by manipulating your diet through calorie restriction.Any calories burned through exercise should be considered a bonus

Look at it this way

Diet for weightloss

Exercise specifically weights for muscle building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,248 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Walking an hour to work isn't particularly intense exercise tbh.
    Minime2.5 wrote: »
    A 3 hour walk is far superior calorie burn wise than a 20 minute HIIT effort.
    Big difference between 3hrs and 1 hour.
    If we tripling time spent exercise you probably comparing it with a 60-90min run which is gonna burn far far more than a 3hr walk.

Day 1-301 lbs

Big difference between 3hrs and 1 hour.
    If we tripling time spent exercise you probably comparing it with a 60-90min run which is gonna burn far far more than a 3hr walk.

true but a 90 minute run will have a much bigger compensatory affect on appetite plus its alot tougher to recover from. That aside as I mentioned above you dont need any exercise to lose weight. 3 or 4 weight training sessions a week to tone up the muscles and use your diet to manipulate the calories deficet . A persons best fatburner is there own body . Even bed ridden most men will burn 2000 calories a day some a little more others a little less . Im very overweight at present and ill burn about 2400 calories if I laid in bed all day. Im about to walk for 3 hours though. Planning 20k steps. Expecting a massive loss in the morning . Us big guys drop alot of water weight at the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

true but a 90 minute run will have a much bigger compensatory affect on appetite plus its alot tougher to recover from. That aside as I mentioned above you dont need any exercise to lose weight. 3 or 4 weight training sessions a week to tone up the muscles and use your diet to manipulate the calories deficet . A persons best fatburner is there own body . Even bed ridden most men will burn 2000 calories a day some a little more others a little less . Im very overweight at present and ill burn about 2400 calories if I laid in bed all day. Im about to walk for 3 hours though. Planning 20k steps. Expecting a massive loss in the morning . Us big guys drop alot of water weight at the beginning

I don't really understand why you would make such a big effort day one?

Am I missing something, shouldn't sustainable long term changes be the goal?

Maybe my approach is wrong.

I don't really understand why you would make such a big effort day one?

Am I missing something, shouldn't sustainable long term changes be the goal?

Maybe my approach is wrong.

The minimum goal is 10k daily steps but 20k if I can. I am off work at present with nothing to do except play the PS4 and watch Netflix so I have the time

OmegaGene wrote: »
    3 hour walk is a great way to clear the mind and dust off any cobwebs and I anyone doing it should be commended rather than belittled for making “such a big effort”

I wasn't belittling anyone. I don't really know why you're taking offense on behalf of that person.

I was genuinely trying to open some discourse.

I'm 30+kg lighter than I was and if I went out today and walked for 3 hours it would have a negative impact on my ability to exercise for the rest of the week.

My question was whether a less extreme start would be more beneficial towards long term sustainability and I conceded that I might be wrong.

I also inferred from OPs post that the OP has tried a similiar approach previously which does not seem to have succeeded, so I questioned it.

I'm not going to apologise for that

Not sure how a 3 hour walk would impact the rest of your weekly exercise :confused:

Since the covid19 thing I’ve been running and walking 3 hours everyday along with a body weight workout

This is not specifically directed at the OP but, walking for 3 hours is a significant amount of impact for a typically sedentary very overweight individual. The body can adapt to a lot of stress but why overwhelm it from the off when a more gradual approach to accumulating progression and adaption would likely lead to long term sustainable life changes.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, quite the opposite.

Softly softly catchee monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I’m not asking you to apologise I just think any form of exercise should be encouraged wether it’s short bursts or a long and steady paced walk, who knows how long we will be able to enjoy going for runs or walks with a lockdown on the cards

Not sure how a 3 hour walk would impact the rest of your weekly exercise :confused:

Since the covid19 thing I’ve been running and walking 3 hours everyday along with a body weight workout

To be fair, the poster was just asking if a 3-hour walk was sustainable. The implication being that shorter, more regular walks might end up being more beneficial, eg an hour a day is more than 3-hours twice a week.

It came across as more just posing a question to help Minime make the right decision rather than just say they were wrong.

It's not unreasonable either. Most people could find an hour in every day than they could find 3-hours a couple of times a week. That's not to say the OP can't do it, but people comment/ask questions with their own context in mind. You can do 3-hours a day now, I couldn't so our takes will differ on it but the OP knows what they can do. But I don't think it was wrong to question if it was right for the OP or if there was a better way. Most people contribute on this thread to be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 39,248 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

true but a 90 minute run will have a much bigger compensatory affect on appetite plus its alot tougher to recover from. That aside as I mentioned above you dont need any exercise to lose weight. 3 or 4 weight training sessions a week to tone up the muscles and use your diet to manipulate the calories deficet .

I think you're missing my point. I'm not suggest anyone do a 90min run everyday.

The post I was replying to mentioned walking an hour a day. I was pointing out that an hour of walking isn't really a lot of activity. You could pick that up in a desk job without even realising it.

If you are doing 3 hours of walking, that's very different level of activity to 1 hour.
    Might be hard to find that time in normal circumstances, current situation aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Best of luck!!

The best advice I can give for a longhaul would be to start small re- exercise then work up: a sudden change to lifestyle etc can be tough especially at the start though motivation should be high etc, it's hard to keep it up, especially if the first few lbs aren't shifting as fast as you'd like.

As the weight starts to come off your motivation will increase but the lower you get the harder it is to loose, when it slows down look at ways to increase expenditure gradually, also calories can drop too as the requirements get lower with the weight etc.

Have a rough plan in mind and go for it, you'll feel a whole new person.

• Advertisement

Day 1-301 lbs

Day 2-299lbs

Hey Padraig. What height are you? Im starting tomorrow at a weight of 300lbs and im 6ft tall. lm planning to do alot of fasting also . Im probably going to do omad and eat a good home cooked dinner at night. Ive lost alot of weight before . Got down to 230lbs and I went a bit crazy on the fasting. Fasted for 5 days one time

5'10" so pretty much the same dimensions as you starting out. I keep the fasting to ~36 hrs max so far anyway.

Day 4 -296lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlBlack

Starting my Daily walk now! Will Make incremental reports

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Week 1 15st 3.5lbs
    Week 2 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 3 14st 10lbs
    Week 4 14st 10.5 lbs
    Week 5 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 6 14st 9.5lbs
    Week 7 14st 11lbs
    Week 8 14st 10lbs
    Week 9 14st 8.5lbs
    Week 10 missed weigh in
    Week 11 missed weigh in
    Week 12 missed weigh in

Week 13 14st 12lbs

Between week 10 and 11, I went to Cheltenham and overindulged. Since then I have self isolated for two week. Found it difficult to get any eating routine and didnt do any intermittent fasting during this period. Weighed myself this morning for first time since week 9 so back on the bandwagon and looking forward to doing a bit of training

Week 11: 249 lbs (-52.6).

First 'bad' week! In actuality it was a week of two halves. I weigh Fri and Tues. Stepping on the scales last Tuesday and I was UP a whopping ~3.5 lbs from the previous Friday - not good! I have relaxed things a bit and certainly had a few more treats etc than I should have last weekend - but not any worse than the previous weekend or two so am unsure why the jump up. Perhaps it's to do with working from home - while I don't do any specific exercise per se, I would often walk a fair bit during the working day - typically 1 - 2.5km......not currently though! Have been throwing in a quick walk once or twice a day last few days to get the blood moving. Tuesday to Friday saw all the added weight drop off again - even though I fasted less?!

Week 11: 249 lbs (-52.6).
    Week 12: 246.1 lbs (-55.5).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iQuestion

Day 1:: 26/03/2020 99.8 KG
    Day 8:: 02/04/2020 97.4 KG (-2.4 KG)
    Day 15: 09/04/2020 TBC :)

I am 180cm tall, my target is 80 KG, after that I am applying for Mortgage Protection & Life Insurance so I can get a mortgage.
    I am trying to eat 500 less than my Basal Metabolic Rate. I also walk 3 hours everyday (I live far from the shop!) and track my steps with Fitbit, trying to get at least 10,000 steps every day

• Registered Users Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

iQuestion wrote: »

I am 180cm tall, my target is 80 KG, after that I am applying for Mortgage Protection & Life Insurance so I can get a mortgage.
    I am trying to eat 500 less than my Basal Metabolic Rate. I also walk 3 hours everyday (I live far from the shop!) and track my steps with Fitbit, trying to get at least 10,000 steps every day

Your BMR is what you need to just function. It's the bare minimum.

You should be checking for your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and taking 500 from that figure.

E.G., My BMR is 1,048 so 500 less than that is 548. No one can sustain on that!

However, taking in to account my lfestyle my TDEE is 1,443 calories so take 500 from that figure.

Still very low.

So please use a TDEE calculator and not a BMR calculator to take your 500 cals from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

iQuestion wrote: »

You don't need to diet too aggressively just for mortgage protection. Your BMI is about 30, which is less than I've seen the threshold where the BMI matters for mortgage protection

Advertisement