Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

MilfordBud wrote: »
    1st Jan 243 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    17th April 223lbs
    24th April 222lbs

Still going the right way anyway. Definitely not eating as well as I could be. Went for 2 runs this week, had intended to do more but work and housework/gardening kind of got in the way.

Well done, great stuff.
    Running at 220+lbs is less then easy. I did a bit of it in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).
    Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).
    Week 9: 251.9 lbs (-49.7).
    Week 10: 249.1 lbs (-52.5).
    Week 11: 249 lbs (-52.6).
    Week 12: 246.1 lbs (-55.5).
    Week 13: 245 lbs (-56.6).
    Week 14: 243.3 lbs (-58.3).
    Week 15: 237.2 lbs (-64.4).

Went at the fasting / diet and exercise pretty hard this week in order to break out of recent plateau and seems to have worked. Have now dipped below my last low weight point of three years ago and am now my lightest since about 2008! Exercise wise I've decided on min. 10,000 steps per day and min. 84,000 per week, as well as min. 40 heart points (Google Fit metric - starts at 1 point per minute mild exercise) per day and min. 350 points per week. Received a resistance / weight training yoke during the week as well so will be adding that ~3 days per week as well after morning walk - legs are pretty OK (from carrying so much weight around), but need to up the muscle on my upper body. Also started HIIT burpees this morning - lasted all of 1 minute 40 seconds (incl. 30 second break) - oh dear......

.............Also started HIIT burpees this morning - lasted all of 1 minute 40 seconds (incl. 30 second break) - oh dear......

Well done on the weight loss and training, serious progress.

I'd never be bothered by a new exercise, this time last year I was down to 80kg, was able to bench press 125kg and was trotting out 5ks in under 22 mins ....... I'd have struggled with burpees as I never did them or anything else overly HIT.

Augeo wrote: »
    Well done on the weight loss and training, serious progress.

I'd never be bothered by a new exercise, this time last year I was down to 80kg, was able to bench press 125kg and was trotting out 5ks in under 22 mins ....... I'd have struggled with burpees as I never did them or anything else overly HIT.

TBH it wasn't so much exhaustion as feeling it in my lower back which can be a bit dicky - not to mention the sheer indignity of it!

I trotted 10km last night, 450 kcals apparently.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    While burpees are a great way of burning calories the problem is the length of time it can be done for before being gassed out, I find skipping is equal in terms of calories burned on average but can be kept going for much longer
    An hours skipping burns an average of 1000 calories
    Yeah had considered skipping but not sure I have the coordination! Also, doing it indoors - not sure if ceiling would get in the way?
    Would have thought it would be more than that? I *used* to do 5.7 km mixed jog / brisk walks frequently a few years ago and my sorely missed Jawbone tracker gave me an extra ~700kcal for that IIRC. I found I did very well using that and MFP - i.e. the allowances were fairly accurate - but Jawbone shut down. Using Huawei / Google Fit now but think the extra calories allowed for exercise are far too much.

Yeah..... I know....runkeeper puts it at 700kcals but an online calculator that takes in BW put it at 440.

Hard to know.... I was jogging not running so it was leisurely enough... 55 mins & I'm 88kg so not a whole lot of me to haul around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I take the view that exercise never actually burns as much as you think it does. I think the general population overestimates exercise calories burn and underestimate calorie consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,239 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I take the view that exercise never actually burns as much as you think it does. I think the general population overestimates exercise calories burn and underestimate calorie consumption.

It doesn't t general. But I think that applies more to stuff that's physically hard but includes a high rest:work ratio. Like lifting weights. In a 60min weight session, you actualy working only 5-15 mins.
    But a 60 min run is all work.
    If you are 88kg, it was more like 800cals.

For running you burn roughly 1 cal per kg per km

Mellor wrote: »
    If you are 88kg, it was more like 800cals.

For running you burn roughly 1 cal per kg per km

Cool, must have been a crap calculator I stumbled upon, Runkeeper was not far off so to be fair to it.

• Advertisement

Cushing wrote: »
    But if you are lifting weights you're building muscle mass which means you burn more calories sitting on the couch.

Folk who lift weights can also run.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

Cushing wrote: »
    But if you are lifting weights you're building muscle mass which means you burn more calories sitting on the couch.

It's negligible really, My opinion would be that for a given period of exercise you'd be better served by a more aerobic session than a 'hypertrophy' session if your concern is fat loss.

It's negligible really, My opinion would be that for a given period of exercise you'd be better served by a more aerobic session than a 'hypertrophy' session if your concern is fat loss.

I went from 105kg to 80kg over 12 months with very little aerobic work.
    By very little I mean 50kms of running spread over 12 sessions.
    Calorie deficit and weights (mainly bodyweight with extra weight added).

Each to their own etc.

I went from 105kg to 80kg over 12 months with very little aerobic work.
    By very little I mean 50kms of running spread over 12 sessions.
    Calorie deficit and weights (mainly bodyweight with extra weight added).

Each to their own etc.

You've missed my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think people really would get a surprise to see how few calories are burnt during an hour of a lot of exercises like walking casual cycling .If people could do the hard exercise for an hour or so they wouldn't need to bother too much about this forum . Really very true that you can't out run a poor diet so it really is a long term lifestyle change that is required from my experience .

You've missed my point.

How so?

How so?

I was replying to their post. That implied you'd be better off doing a muscle building training session as you would then burn more calories at rest.

I countered as the initial calorie burn from say an hour of moderate intensity aerobic exercise would be greater than the cumulative effect of a similar intensity weight training session and any increased metabolic activity post exercise. You will still have an elevated response form the aerobic fwiw.

Given the nature of the mode of exercise.

Dietary calories aside.

I'm not in anyway saying you can't lose fat doing weight based training exclusively or doing no exercise at all or any combination you care to think of. I was responding to their post in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Come on let’s play nice

All exercise is good for weight/fat loss wether it’s weights or cardio based

Personally I do both, I’m doing 4 hours a day now t keep me sane

Ive taken to watch an old SyFi show in the evening that is up on Youtube while hanging exercise bands from windows, doors.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I went on my longest run ever last weekend, 15kms ......... did it in 1 hr 25 mins.
    Previous longest trot was 10kms.

I haven't weighed myself in quite a while, was 88kg on 09th Feb. I've averaged 2770kcals/day since then. Did 8 sessions from then until the gyms closed and then I've ran 100kms. Did some dips on the balcony but not too much of them overly regularly.

Should be about the same weight I think. Will try and weigh myself later today on a scales at work, same one I used last time.

87.5kg so no real change.
    Happy with that TBH.
    Almost 2800kcals/day average is a nice feed.

• Advertisement

Week 16: 236.9 lbs (-64.7).

Good week last week, not good week this week :( Wouldn't mind but I only broke out last Saturday - and not exactly overboard at that and was pretty straight down the line fasting and exercising all week - FFS! Having said that I definitely reckon some 'non scale victories' are apparent - the ol' belly fat seems to be on the run (I think) which is good. Maybe I'm putting on muscle.....

It's not even a pound, Padraig. It more than likely isn't even fat but just water retention. Your overall progress has been fantastic!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's not even a pound, Padraig. It more than likely isn't even fat but just water retention. Your overall progress has been fantastic!

It was down not up though thankfully! I was actually up half a pound Tuesday and down 0.8 from that today so I reckon any water retained due to sugar over the weekend would be gone. Ehra I'm not too worried, just annoyed after a lot of hard work over the last week (100,000 steps and 5 weights / HIIT cardio workouts). **** it though, I'm gonna break out a bit this weekend though what with the bank holiday and all - might take a trip to my back garden!

Sorry, read it the wrong way around. You were down, that's a win always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I had lost 16lbs in the 8 weeks before lockdown.

Head a bit addled. Working from home, cooking for whole family, eating junk again out of boredom.

Braved the weighing scales this morning and have put back on 10lbs. Feeling pretty disgusted with myself.

Time to get back to what was working, counting calories and avoid excuses for not doing some exercise

Happy4all wrote: »

Time to get back to what was working, counting calories and avoid excuses for not doing some exercise

Cutting calories is all that ever works.
    I found counting calories to be fantastic....... you did it before, you can do it again. Covid19 is tough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Cutting calories is all that ever works.
    I found counting calories to be fantastic....... you did it before, you can do it again. Covid19 is tough times.

Thanks, aiming for a 2 to 3 lb weight loss by this day next week, to get back on track and boost motivation.

Week 16: 236.9 lbs (-64.7).
    Week 17: 235.7 lbs (-65.9).

Slow progress but still right direction. Really gotta sort out crap eating at weekends - but looks like BBQ weather tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

MilfordBud wrote: »
    1st Jan 243 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    17th April 223lbs
    24th April 222lbs

Still going the right way anyway. Definitely not eating as well as I could be. Went for 2 runs this week, had intended to do more but work and housework/gardening kind of got in the way.

8th May 220 lbs.

Creeping down the whole time. Didn't do much last week exercise wise but minded the diet better. The circuits class I go to are starting an online course with a trial version this week so I'll try that. I've been doing a bit of bodyweight stuff and freeweights but hard to stay motivated. Last year I went from 245lbs to 218lbs before injuring my ankle and being unable to do much for a couple of months. The injury prospect is slim enough with lockdown so just need to keep on at this rate and should be good to get to my goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

hello, I've been watching all of your progress and its going great for you all. I have been trying to lose weight since January. I was 14 stone 6lbs, I am now 13 stone 6 lbs. I really haven't lost anything in the past 6 weeks - maybe about 1 lb in total. My food is good, I try to eat clean the majority of the time but I did start exercising hard about the same time I stopped losing weight. I try to do a hard 1 hour hiit session 4 times a week, as well as a 3 mile walk or jog 5 times a week. I have lost body fat and toned up in this time. I think I've dropped from about 44% to 34% in this time, which is great. My clothes are fitting better etc but I really want to drop the pounds too. What would you suggest? Thanks very much in advance

Advertisement