Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NewHope21

Week 0: 136 Kg
    Week 1: 131Kg
    Week 2: 126 Kg
    Week 3: 124 Kg

Struggling as I get dizzy easily, using VR headset to workout and get my sweat on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ve weight to lose since having my last baby mid December. I’ve decided it’s time for lifestyle changes that I can live with and hopefully change habits of a lifetime.
    I decided to start slimming world, I’ve no time for exercise but I never sit down with the kids and housework to do.
    I started on 18th January and I’ve lost 10 pounds. I’ve lots to go but I’m feeling good and I really think I can make this work. It’s hard going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

miss_c wrote: »
    I absolutely should be able to get out in the morning/evening, I have no excuse now with WFH. No commute and no kids so I really have no excuses not to be inactive. I've got into a good routine now in terms of prepping for work so will use morning/evening to my advantage and get the steps in.

Over the last few day I'm doing short workouts from youtube. Currently doing 8 minute tabata workout. Is good, not too strenuous, but a nice quick one to get the heart rate moving. It seems to be a useful alternative to get exercise in on a short time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

My advice to anyone is go all in on the diet. No shortcuts. Let the diet be your focus,.not just a side project. You will lose weight. The problem is keeping it off, as your body want to return to its original weight. Believe in yourself.

theguzman wrote: »
    My button batteries for my weighing scales finally arrived today from Amazon. I am just depressed to see what has become of my body, I have gained 26lbs or 11.8kgs as a result of quarantines and lockdown, a far bigger risk to my health than Covid ever will be, and that is before the devastating toll on my mental health.

I am at my heaviest weight in over 8 years at 13 stone I'm 5ft 7 so its far too much.

I maxed out at 15 stone back in late 2012, I embarked on a massive weight loss campaign of 3-4 times a week 2-3hr long gym sessions and a 500-800 calorie per day diet. and I lost 4 stone weight in four months. The following year I gained back a stone (after a verruca operation) but I fought hard and lost 1.5 stone to get to my lightest ever weight.

That year in 2013 was one of the best periods of my life, I booked an amazing holiday to Thailand to act as self-motivation at the beginning.

My life has changed alot in the intervening years and I am lucky to have greater funds today and I am going to find some clinic that will perform a gastric bypass as I am on a BMI of 28.7 and this is a serious medical emergency for my body. I have had zero energy in over 2 months rarely waking up until midday and suffering with mild to moderate depression.

I lack the energy, motivation or will to go into gyms which will not reopen in months anyway and I always get verrucas on my feet from the communal showers. I also have severe eating disorders in that I can't eat any fruit or vegetables or typical healthy foods, my weight loss in 2013 was mainly down to 600+ calorie burning gym sessions and starving myself.

Man, I'm sorry that I can't offer any solutions to the issues you outline. The only thing I can say is that your view of your situation is I think quite different from a stranger looking at what you have outlined.
    Most of the country have higher BMI than yours. I've lost 38 lbs in the last year and my BMI is 31. I am also a diabetic. It took me along time to get to the point where I was diagnosed as being diabetic and it will take quite a while to get back from there.
    Having diabetes affects many aspects of your health beyond Blood Sugars and cravings etc. But seeing or recognising yourself to be suffering from mild to moderate depression is possibly even more alarming. This may alter your view of yourself and others and the world at large. Addressing your depression could be the first and most important step you can take.
    Try and surround yourself with a good medical team that you trust and that you know have your best interests at heart.

If you have multiple issues to deal with taking the time to assess good advice from professionals that you trust will allow you to prioritize the steps that need to be taken first so you can get the maximum benefit in the long term. We are all here to make improvements that will benefit us in the long term.

If you read back through this thread one theme I hope will shine through, when posters here are p******d off or fed up, others step in and encourage or console, because we all know this road is not easy and we all need a hand now and then. Get a good support team, they'll be worth their weight in gold.

Nothing that you have outlined above is insurmountable, maybe overwhelming at times, but definitely not insurmountable. a friend of mine used to say, how do you eat an elephant; one bite at a time. Be kind to yourself, it is always a good first step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 0 (4th Jan): 84.6kg
    Week 1 (8th Jan): 83.1kg
    Week 2 (15th Jan): 82.6kg
    Week 3 (22nd Jan): 82.4kg
    Week 4 (29th Jan): 82.2kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I am size 18, female, and have not weighed myself in a long time. Bought a treadmill on the 27th of December , and was struggling to walk even 1km, now I have completed my first 5k today, so happy with it.

I made a promise to myself I won't focus on the numbers on the scales, because it seems to distract me, genuinely feel like I am sticking with the exercise and balanced diet this time, since I am focusing on my energy levels, and how my clothes fit rather than becoming obsessed with weighing myself every few days then feeling sad if I'm not a few pounds down!

the change in my energy and mindset so far is insane, and I actually feel like I am somewhat fit now and don't need to be embarassed going to a gym etc, when they open that is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Starting weight (end of Dec) 12st 8lb
    3rd Jan - 12st 6 lb
    10th Jan - 12st 4 lb
    17th Jan - 12st 2 lb
    23rd Jan - 12st
    30th Jan - 11st 12 lb

Delighted to have lost 10lb so far! 26 lb to go. I haven't been as strict diet-wise this week so was surprised to have still lost 2lb, but I went on plenty of long hilly walks with buggy and all meals were healthy-ish. Going to cut down on bread and alcohol this week. Even when I have 1-2 drinks, I feel so sluggish and craving carbs all day.

theguzman wrote: »

I am at my heaviest weight in over 8 years at 13 stone I'm 5ft 7 so its far too much.

.......... I am on a BMI of 28.7 ...............

Surely 13 stone at that height isn't out of the way?

Hi I'm looking at getting a spin bike or an exercise bike leaning more to a spin bike . Does anyone use them to exercise at home

I had an exercise bike years ago but found it quite boring. We bought a rowing machine, which is great and going to get a cross trainer as well. If I were going for a bike, I'd probably get a spin bike too over an exercise bike :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely 13 stone at that height isn't out of the way?

I'm 5ft 8 and I wish I was 13st, they will not be preforming a by pass on someone who is not even obese. I think you should talk to your doctor and get a referral to a nutritionist

January 9th 18st 4 lbs (-34 lbs overall) (+6lbs over the holidays)
    January 16th 18st 2 lbs (-36 lbs)
    January 23 rd 18st 4 lbs (-34lbs )
    January 30th 18st 1 lb (-37 lbs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hi I'm looking at getting a spin bike or an exercise bike leaning more to a spin bike . Does anyone use them to exercise at home
    mojesius wrote: »
    I had an exercise bike years ago but found it quite boring. We bought a rowing machine, which is great and going to get a cross trainer as well. If I were going for a bike, I'd probably get a spin bike too over an exercise bike :)

You can address the boredom issue by getting a bike. Get out in and get some fresh air while exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

mojesius wrote: »

Would you recommend a cross trainer instead of a spin bike ? I already have an rowing machine which is great but looking to add a bike to my mini gym I have put together in spare room. picked up a foldable bench few weeks ago with sets of dumbbells also use a TRX and pull up bar .

My main use for the bike is building my leg muscles and getting a good cardio in . What would be best between a exercise bike & spin bike have seen a good few exercise bikes going a bit cheaper then spin bikes.
    Looking to speed around 200 on a spin bike or exercise bike which ever one is best to get a good leg work out & cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Looks like you would get more bang for your buck with the cross trainer .I use a turbo trainer when I am not out on the road but calories burnt and actual workout would not be that high unless I go on a really long spin .No way would I spend hours on either spin bike or exercise bike .

You can address the boredom issue by getting a bike. Get out in and get some fresh air while exercising.

I totally agree and only cycle or run outdoors as I dislike treadmills or indoor bikes, was just giving my thoughts on the question of choice between an exercise bike or spinning bike :)

Looks like you would get more bang for your buck with the cross trainer .I use a turbo trainer when I am not out on the road but calories burnt and actual workout would not be that high unless I go on a really long spin .No way would I spend hours on either spin bike or exercise bike .

Agree. Cross trainer is better all body workout for less time. Id get a cross trainer with different programs/resistance to spice things up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 miss_c

Week 0 (December 29th): 238 lbs
    Week 1: 234 lbs
    Week 2: 232lbs
    Week 3: 232lbs
    Week 4: 233.5 lbs
    Week 5: 232.5 lbs

Pound off!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 miss_c

farmerval wrote: »
    Over the last few day I'm doing short workouts from youtube. Currently doing 8 minute tabata workout. Is good, not too strenuous, but a nice quick one to get the heart rate moving. It seems to be a useful alternative to get exercise in on a short time frame.

I must check that out, nice and short, could use around lunch time! Thanks for sharing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

My main use for the bike is building my leg muscles and getting a good cardio in . What would be best between a exercise bike & spin bike have seen a good few exercise bikes going a bit cheaper then spin bikes.
    Looking to speed around 200 on a spin bike or exercise bike which ever one is best to get a good leg work out & cardio.

I'm looking at exercise bikes as they are cheaper and do the same job I don't like running find it boring prefer swimming and bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

never posted this on Monday

11th January: 152 lbs
    18th January: 148 lbs
    25th January: 148 lbs
    1st February: 147 lbs

Progress is slow but it's still progress! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Started off around the beginning of January at 217 lbs. Cut out the crap, reduced portion sizes and a 4 to 5km walk every evening.

27/01. 209lb
    03/02 205.6 lb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

27/01. 209lb
    03/02 205.6 lb

Well done, nearly at the first stone mark.

Has anyone got Matts down to cover foor would it be worth getting to go over carpet. Just thinking about bench and dumbbells.

Bassfish wrote: »
    Well done, nearly at the first stone mark.

Thanks. Need to loose another 2 stone to get back to pre heart surgery weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I got a blood test done there recently and I’m at a higher risk of a heart attack in the next ten years than the average person. I’m only in my 20s and the stress is only making me want to eat junk food even more, not less.

By Jaysus, if lockdown was over and I could throw myself back into my spin classes, Zumba, etc. and go to the local binge eaters therapy group I would. Until then I’m gonna try do my bit of exercise at the weekends until it’s bright enough in the evening for a jog but I’m just sick of being fat and worried about my health.

I got a blood test done there recently and I’m at a higher risk of a heart attack in the next ten years than the average person. I’m only in my 20s and the stress is only making me want to eat junk food even more, not less.

By Jaysus, if lockdown was over and I could throw myself back into my spin classes, Zumba, etc. and go to the local binge eaters therapy group I would. Until then I’m gonna try do my bit of exercise at the weekends until it’s bright enough in the evening for a jog but I’m just sick of being fat and worried about my health.

You do realise you can exercise in the dark :)

Im in the middle of nowhere. Plenty of people out with a head torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

When a Lifestyle change is needed you have to start straight away not wait for the good weather you just have to find ways of doing it if you really want to .There are plenty of things anybody can do at home or outside regardless of the time of year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

You dont need classes to stay healthy
    All.movement counts. Lockdown doesnt help.for sure but you can still go for walks / jogs. As for junk food try cutting down to 1 or maybe 2 a week max.
    Go on line and find the healthy takeaway options. Much more nutritious and satisfying
    Why not set yourself a task of moving for 20 mins every weekday and start from there.
    No point risking your health until this lockdown is over... small steps can help a lot

Advertisement