Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

screamer wrote: »
    No move on the scales this week unfortunately still a stone down since Jan 18th. Hope to get some exercise in next week, I just steal a few minutes outside in the yard when I can as the kids are small, but this week the weather was awful.

Wow that's brilliant weight loss well done. It's so much harder to get out in the bad weather. Hopefully this stint is the last of it and we get a proper spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Week 0 : 145kg
    Week 1: 143kg (-2kg)
    Week 2 : 141.3kg (-3.7kg)
    Week 3 : 142.7kg (-2.3kg)
    Week 4 :139.8kg (-5.2kg)
    Week 5 : 140.3kg (-4.7kg)
    Week 6 : 138.2kg (-6.8kg)
    Week 7 : 137.4kg (-7.6kg)
    Week 8 : 136.2kg (-8.8kg)
    Week 9 : 136.7kg (-8.3kg)
    Week 10 : 134.4kg (-10.6kg)
    Week 11: 134.7kg (-10.3kg)
    Week 12 : 134.4kg (-10.6kg)
    Week 13 : 132.9kg (-12.1kg)
    Week 14 : 133.1kg (-11.9kg)
    Week 15 : 134.3kg (-10.7kg)
    Week 16: 134.4kg(-10.6kg)
    Week 17 : 135.1kg (-9.9kg)
    Week 18 : 134.1kg (-10.9kg)
    Week 19 : 132.6kg (-12.4kg)
    Week 20 : 133.3kg (-11.7kg)
    Week 21 : 133.3kg (-11.7kg)
    Week 22 : 133.1kg (-11.9kg)
    Week 23 : 132.4kg (-12.6kg)

Down again this week, and the lowest I've been since I started, and under 21st for those living in imperial world. :D I've lost about 2 stone now, still a good way to go, but I'm well and truly back on track. I'd love to be under 130 for paddy's day

........ I'd love to be under 130 for paddy's day

Tremendous progress.
    Just keep doing the right thing every day or most days and let the scales read whatever it reads on Patricks Day ....... you'll be very close to it worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Week 0 : 145kg
    Week 1: 143kg (-2kg)
    Week 2 : 141.3kg (-3.7kg)
    Week 3 : 142.7kg (-2.3kg)
    Week 4 :139.8kg (-5.2kg)
    Week 5 : 140.3kg (-4.7kg)
    Week 6 : 138.2kg (-6.8kg)
    Week 7 : 137.4kg (-7.6kg)
    Week 8 : 136.2kg (-8.8kg)
    Week 9 : 136.7kg (-8.3kg)
    Week 10 : 134.4kg (-10.6kg)
    Week 11: 134.7kg (-10.3kg)
    Week 12 : 134.4kg (-10.6kg)
    Week 13 : 132.9kg (-12.1kg)
    Week 14 : 133.1kg (-11.9kg)
    Week 15 : 134.3kg (-10.7kg)
    Week 16: 134.4kg(-10.6kg)
    Week 17 : 135.1kg (-9.9kg)
    Week 18 : 134.1kg (-10.9kg)
    Week 19 : 132.6kg (-12.4kg)
    Week 20 : 133.3kg (-11.7kg)
    Week 21 : 133.3kg (-11.7kg)
    Week 22 : 133.1kg (-11.9kg)
    Week 23 : 132.4kg (-12.6kg)

Down again this week, and the lowest I've been since I started, and under 21st for those living in imperial world. :D I've lost about 2 stone now, still a good way to go, but I'm well and truly back on track. I'd love to be under 130 for paddy's day

Well done, Hodors, keep going. Slowly wins the prize!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

January 9th 18st 4 lbs (-34 lbs overall) (+6lbs over the holidays)
    January 16th 18st 2 lbs (-36 lbs)
    January 23 rd 18st 4 lbs (-34lbs )
    January 30th 18st 1 lb (-37 lbs)
    February 6th 18 st 2 lbs (-36 lbs)
    February 13th 18st 2 lbs (-36 lbs)
    February 20th 18st 5lbs (-33 lbs)

I had really good news on medical front twice in the last week. Obviously celebrated a bit too much. Really need to reign it in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Starting in Jan 217lb
    27/01. 209lb (-8)
    03/02 205.6 lb (-11.4)
    14/02 204.6 lb (-12.4)
    22/02 202.4 lb (-14.6)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Good to see a lot of the posters who are putting the figures out there all seem to be going about it the right way by slowly dropping the lbs well done to all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 0 (4th Jan): 84.6kg
    Week 1 (8th Jan): 83.1kg
    Week 2 (15th Jan): 82.6kg
    Week 3 (22nd Jan): 82.4kg
    Week 4 (29th Jan): 82.2kg
    Week 5 (5th Feb): 82.4kg
    Week 6 (12th Feb): 82.4kg
    Week 7 (19th Feb): 83.2kg

Going the wrong way!

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Going the wrong way!

it's been a tough few months! don't be hard on yourself

Going the wrong way!

You are still down from early jan that 's the main thing

• Advertisement

You are still down from early jan that 's the main thing

huge comment!

one or two week blips are to be expected but an overall downward trend is the main thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Going the wrong way!

You're still less than your starting point so just get back up on the bike and get going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭AG123

Glad I came across this thread. Finding it very hard to get going with my weight loss. Completely lacking willpower at the minute but this thread will hopefully help!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 david992

Hello! I felt the same way, but I realized that I first had to stop telling myself that I wasn't what I needed to be. After that, you can think about calorie deficits and exercising. The main thing is discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I wasn't fat I don't think but definitely had weight to lose.

I started on my fitness pal on 28th December and am currently down 5kg, with another 3kg to go to my initial target weight! Slow and steady wins the race... as unexciting and frustrating as that can be, it's the truth for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Hi, just came across this thread.

I late 30s, 6ft1 and 17stone.

Im.not sure what my target will be or if there is a particular weight that is good for my age and height?

I think posting here to get motivation and tips is goodðŸ‘

So, do I just post here my weight on a weekly basis? I am getting 10,000 steps a day (I know that's only part of diet)

Any tips or advice please for a newbie :)

Welcome!

you can post however you like, there are no rules! people who do post regularly usually find it keeps them motivated

looks into eating a calorie deficit, it's the only way to actually lose weight, you cannot out run a bad diet :)

but immediately look at "treats" and cut back on empty calories - don't deny yourself all treats and go living like a monk that won't be sustainable, but do recognise that you'll need to halt your intake somewhere.

excercise is great, but bad diet is the worst thing.

I cut down the bread and portion sizes.

Instead of bread and snacks during the day its rye breads.
    I get in a walk every day of at least 30 minutes. Hit the 1 stone milestone this weekend. 2 more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭AG123

I cut down the bread and portion sizes.

Instead of bread and snacks during the day its rye breads.
    I get in a walk every day of at least 30 minutes. Hit the 1 stone milestone this weekend. 2 more to go.

Well done! Bread is lethal I find... I’m going to try to limit it to once or twice a week. I find it hard to stop when I start.

AG123 wrote: »
    Well done! Bread is lethal I find... I’m going to try to limit it to once or twice a week. I find it hard to stop when I start.

I've started buying the gluten free bread in lidl. It's lighter. 2 slices for breakfast and depending on what's for lunch.

Used to be up to 8 slices of white a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Instead of a sandwich/wrap I bring a flask of protein shake to work.Porridge oats,protein powder, strawberries, peanut butter, banana and water.I make it the night before and keep in the fridge. Better alternative than bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Hi, just came across this thread.

I late 30s, 6ft1 and 17stone.

Im.not sure what my target will be or if there is a particular weight that is good for my age and height?

I think posting here to get motivation and tips is goodðŸ‘

So, do I just post here my weight on a weekly basis? I am getting 10,000 steps a day (I know that's only part of diet)

Any tips or advice please for a newbie :)

Do yourself a favour and look up Intuitive Eating. Diets dont work. (Theres a ton of research and studies with stats if you want proof) . There is lots of info on it (Instagram ; intuitive eating ireland is a good place to start ) and a great podcast called Its Not About the Food by Stefani Reinold which goes through all the myths re dieting and the health industry in general. Lots of research there too. Dont get back on the diet rollercoaster and set yourself up to fail.
    Movement of any kind for 30ins a day will definitely do your mind and body good.
    Best of luck

You will find a fair few posts on here about weight loss from my own experience of dropping and keeping it off was fairly basic stuff like changing over to better food choices across the board .It does take discipline but you see results and combine that with an activity that you enjoy you will lose the lbs .Everybody knows the better foods to be eating and you will find lots that you enjoy just get into the habit .Posting your progress on here may well act to keep you motivated but whatever you do just keep at it and it will come good in a short time good luck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do yourself a favour and look up Intuitive Eating. Diets dont work. (Theres a ton of research and studies with stats if you want proof) . There is lots of info on it (Instagram ; intuitive eating ireland is a good place to start ) and a great podcast called Its Not About the Food by Stefani Reinold which goes through all the myths re dieting and the health industry in general. Lots of research there too. Dont get back on the diet rollercoaster and set yourself up to fail.
    Movement of any kind for 30ins a day will definitely do your mind and body good.
    Best of luck

Diets are not sustainable but there's a difference between 'diet' and 'a diet'.

Changing behaviour to something that controls caloric intake to something that is sustainable for the individual in the longer term is what gets results. Diets are for a period of time with no real exit strategy. That's why they're not successful.

But whether it's just calorie counting, low carb, keto, intermittent fasting or intuitive eating, they all amount to the same thing: a sustainable diet that manages calorie intake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Do yourself a favour and look up Intuitive Eating. Diets dont work. (Theres a ton of research and studies with stats if you want proof).

There is and there isn't. Unsustainable diets don't work. Temporary changes to your eating habits to reach a goal weight, followed by a quick or even gradual resumption of your old eating habits will lead to regaining the weight. But when people make real, healthy, sustainable changes to their diet and lifestyles, there is no evidence whatsoever that this doesn't work. In fact there is plenty of evidence that it can and does for significant amounts of people. Just look at the the long term research conducted by the American National Weight Control Registry, for example.

As for Intuitive Eating, well it depends on what you mean by that. I eat intuitively. I lost weight by eating intuitively and I maintain my weight by eating intuitively. But to do that, I had to recognise that I was essentially addicted to processed sugar, eating far, far too much of it and experiencing blood sugar crashes that I mistook for hunger. Once I quit processed sugar over the following months I got in touch with my appetite again. I know how to work out what my body actually needs, I know when I'm not ready to eat, when I am and what I both want and need. Intuitive Eating with capital letters however, is generally a totally different thing and involves eating without due consideration of what you are eating. It tells it's followers to eat whatever they want, whenever they feel they might want it. It makes no distinction between fresh, whole foods and a transfat and palm oil laden salted caramel doughnut or 10. Intuitive Eating, in capital letters, is frankly, potentially extremely destructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

End Dec - 12 at 8lb
    3rd Jan - 12st 6 lb
    10th Jan - 12st 4 lb
    17th Jan - 12st 2 lb
    23rd Jan - 12st
    30th Jan - 11st 12 lb
    6 Feb - 11st 11lb
    13 Feb - 11st 9lb
    20 Feb - 11st 8lb
    27 Feb - 11st 7lb

Weight loss has slowed down a bit but at least it's still going in right direction

iguana wrote: »
    There is and there isn't. Unsustainable diets don't work. Temporary changes to your eating habits to reach a goal weight, followed by a quick or even gradual resumption of your old eating habits will lead to regaining the weight. But when people make real, healthy, sustainable changes to their diet and lifestyles, there is no evidence whatsoever that this doesn't work. In fact there is plenty of evidence that it can and does for significant amounts of people. Just look at the the long term research conducted by the American National Weight Control Registry, for example.

As for Intuitive Eating, well it depends on what you mean by that. I eat intuitively. I lost weight by eating intuitively and I maintain my weight by eating intuitively. But to do that, I had to recognise that I was essentially addicted to processed sugar, eating far, far too much of it and experiencing blood sugar crashes that I mistook for hunger. Once I quit processed sugar over the following months I got in touch with my appetite again. I know how to work out what my body actually needs, I know when I'm not ready to eat, when I am and what I both want and need. Intuitive Eating with capital letters however, is generally a totally different thing and involves eating without due consideration of what you are eating. It tells it's followers to eat whatever they want, whenever they feel they might want it. It makes no distinction between fresh, whole foods and a transfat and palm oil laden salted caramel doughnut or 10. Intuitive Eating, in capital letters, is frankly, potentially extremely destructive.

Have to disagree re intuitive eating, well some of what you have said. Yes you can eat whatever you wish and whatever amount you wish and there is not guilt shame or judgement attached to it. There is no calorie counting and no magic number on the scales to strive for. The point is that if we can re learn our bodies own hunger cues and feelings of fullness (which we are all born with) and recognise the emotions behind our eating habits that our own bodies are excellent at choosing what foods are right for us at the time. Maybe that's a nutritious plate of greens and lean meat, maybe it's a donut. Our bodies will soon let us know that eating fat / sugar / "unhealthy" foods all the time , we will not feel good and have little energy. As you've described above you have learned what and when to eat to make yourself feel great , weight loss just happens to be a side effect, and a good one if that makes you feel better. It just saddens me to see people watching the scales go up and down and restricting themselves, feeling bad when the lbs dont come down and having treats and cheat days. It's a vicious cycle for the majority who never sustain that magic number. There are so many more factors that affect your weight but people look for the quick fix and so the cycle begins again.

Diets are not sustainable but there's a difference between 'diet' and 'a diet'.

Changing behaviour to something that controls caloric intake to something that is sustainable for the individual in the longer term is what gets results. Diets are for a period of time with no real exit strategy. That's why they're not successful.

But whether it's just calorie counting, low carb, keto, intermittent fasting or intuitive eating, they all amount to the same thing: a sustainable diet that manages calorie intake

Just to be clear there is no calorie counting or scales for that matter involved in intuitive eating. No counting of any kind, just as there is no such thing as an 'ideal weight' ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The point is that if we can re learn our bodies own hunger cues and feelings of fullness (which we are all born with) and recognise the emotions behind our eating habits that our own bodies are excellent at choosing what foods are right for us at the time. Maybe that's a nutritious plate of greens and lean meat, maybe it's a donut. Our bodies will soon let us know that eating fat / sugar / "unhealthy" foods all the time , we will not feel good and have little energy. As you've described above you have learned what and when to eat to make yourself feel great , weight loss just happens to be a side effect, and a good one if that makes you feel better.

I've learned to eat intuitively because I recognise that the food environment we live in is not one we have evolved for. You mentioned the 'diet industry' in your earlier post while ignoring the much bigger, much more lucrative food industry. An industry that employs food scientists to make it's food as addictive as possible. That employs psychology experts to market and advertise it's foods in ways designed to maximise it's sales. We did not evolve to be constantly surrounded with practically unlimited supplies of sugary, fatty foods. We evolved to survive through periods of scarcity and in order to stay healthy in our current environment we need to actively engage our brains.

When I was over-consuming processed sugar I had no idea what I was missing out on, I thought I felt fine. I considered myself reasonably physically active as I walked more than most people (though it was definitely lessening). I thought the regular digestive pain I felt on my lower right side was a result of pregnancy damage. I thought my constant low level back pain, with occasional bouts of debilitating pain was a result of an injury I suffered in my early 20s. I thought the knee pain I was starting to experience was the approach of middle age. I thought the same was true of the general weakening of my strength. I thought my constant need to snack on fatty, sugary foods was the result of my low blood pressure. And as someone who in my 30s ended up getting 3 free ambulance rides due to low blood pressure, I 'intuitively' recognised the first signs of my blood pressure falling as a need for a quick fix of food to elevate it quickly. I was 'listening to my body' but ignoring the facts that my brain knew. Two pan au chocalaits and a can of Coke is never what a body needs to feel better longterm but the immediate result was to stave off a blood sugar crash and resultant loss of blood pressure so it felt great in the moment. And the negative effect was so gradual that on feelings, intuition, alone, I would never have put two and two together.

Thankfully, we are not just instinctive creatures. We have highly intelligent brains, capable of recognising that what feels good in the moment isn't always actually good for us. And I was able to use that capability to over-ride my intuition. Overconsumption of processed foods, especially sugar laden ones, interferes with our natural understanding of our bodies. Cravings and blood sugar crashes overtake our bodies' hunger cues. Intuitive eating is only a good choice if you actually acknowledge that so, so, so much of the food available to us is not good for you and should only be consumed very moderately. I have never, ever experienced more constant pleasure and happiness in my day to day life than I do when I'm making the most of my body's abilities. When I stopped carrying around nearly 50% of my current weight in fat and developed a strong core, the back pain I'd lived with for nearly 20 years disappeared. I almost never have any knee pain. I'm full of energy, I'm physically capable of regular athletic ultra-endurance. I'm strong, I'm muscular, I can easily do things that I used to think were a fantasy. And guess what, that's just biologically normal for our species but most of us have lost touch with that. You can not Intuitively Eat when you no longer intuit what you should be feeling.

• Advertisement

You mentioned the 'diet industry' in your earlier post while ignoring the much bigger, much more lucrative food industry. An industry that employs food scientists to make it's food as addictive as possible.
    Agreed: I'm using the term very loosely here

Two pan au chocalaits and a can of Coke is never what a body needs to feel better longterm
    Agreed: but that's my point. IE will make this clear to you when you're tuned into feelings of satisfaction / fullness etc, but at the same time there is no harm do by eating and drinking this from time to time. By restrictions anything completely will just create cravings for this item

Overconsumption of processed foods, especially sugar laden ones, interferes with our natural understanding of our bodies. Cravings and blood sugar crashes overtake our bodies' hunger cues. Intuitive eating is only a good choice if you actually acknowledge that so, so, so much of the food available to us is not good for you and should only be consumed very moderately.
    Agreed.

You can not Intuitively Eat when you no longer intuit what you should be feeling.
    Agree completely- but most people dont take the time like you obviously have to figure out what's going on. They want a quick fix in the hope they will feel better if they loose x weight, without ever figuring out why.

And IE is definitely not a quick fix - I was just suggesting an alternative to people sick of diets and diet culture. It might work for some..

Advertisement