Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

notmypants wrote: »
    Stop dieting. Change your lifestyle.

Changing your lifestyle is dieting !

• Registered Users Posts: 23 notmypants

Changing your lifestyle is dieting !

In a way, sure but I don't restrict food or count calories on the foods I enjoy.

I still enjoy what I eat and I eat a lot but now I eat whole foods, non processed, low to no sugar. That's not a diet in a restrictive sense (it's my diet), that's a lifestyle change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Stop dieting. Change your lifestyle.

Diet is a restriction of the things you enjoy and eventually you will binge as your mentality is to reward yourself with junk. This is what most diets do.

Change your lifestyle. Start forgetting about all the junk you use to like and reward yourself with healthier options...takes some time but eventually all the sugar cravings, msg, salt, savoury cravings will vanish.

It has to be a lifestyle change instead of diet.

I have gone from 106kg to 88kg. 5'11. This is probably my natural weight. I'm not super skinny and I'm not fat. I have muscle, I cycle daily and I can run a 5k sub 19mins.

I realised very early on that it's not about weight to height ratios. You can be heavy and healthy. Muscle weighs more than fat, so don't focus on your weight, focus on being healthy and everything else will find a balance.

While I agree in parts, to lose weight you still have to eat fewer calories that you're expending, and the goal for most of us (definitely me) is to lose weight. Regardless of what someone eats to achieve that, it's still dieting.

I am completely changing my eating habits and I'm really enjoying it. I do see it as a lifestyle change and I'm not restricting myself in stuff I want to eat, I'm just changing what it is I want to eat. I'm not craving sweet stuff or junk food because I'm enjoying the new foods I'm eating, and I'm not minding smaller portions of it because I'm also enjoying healthy snacks in between meals.

But my overall goal is most certainly weight loss. Even after I achieve my weight loss target I'll have to increase the amount I eat in order to not be at a calorie deficit. So while I agree in terms of not restricting yourself as it'll cause you to crave junk food, and I agree that it should be a change in lifestyle and not just a temporary thing to lose weight, for now it most certainly is a diet and that I am focusing on my weight.

I put it like this.

If you diet, you starve yourself of the things you enjoy and urge to binge, reward or cheat are incredibly high.

If you start enjoying other healthy options you don't have to restrict your diet to the extend you would with less healthy options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Monday weigh in 111KG
    Tough to be so good all week and only see the dial move slightly but I guess its going to be slower as my Body reacts
    Body reacts to what exactly?

• Advertisement

I put it like this.

If you diet, you starve yourself of the things you enjoy and urge to binge, reward or cheat are incredibly high.

If you start enjoying other healthy options you don't have to restrict your diet to the extend you would with less healthy options.

I suppose it just depends on your definition of "diet". I see it as just purposely eating fewer calories than you expend in order to lose weight. It doesn't really matter what you eat to achieve that, and so people who still eat bad foods can still be dieting if they're still at a calorie deficit.

But I agree in general that the best course of action is to find foods you do enjoy, but which also are healthy. I heard Penn Jillette say recently that he now eats as much as he wants, but the thing that's changed is that he wants to eat healthier food (though he went on a crazy diet and I think even now he doesn't eat for days at a time).

Penn wrote: »
    I suppose it just depends on your definition of "diet". I see it as just purposely eating fewer calories than you expend in order to lose weight. It doesn't really matter what you eat to achieve that, and so people who still eat bad foods can still be dieting if they're still at a calorie deficit.

But I agree in general that the best course of action is to find foods you do enjoy, but which also are healthy. I heard Penn Jillette say recently that he now eats as much as he wants, but the thing that's changed is that he wants to eat healthier food (though he went on a crazy diet and I think even now he doesn't eat for days at a time).

Sounds like intermittent fasting. The thing with healthy eating and fitness is, you will reach a certain level where you realise how **** you feel after a McDonalds. Your body doesn't want it and you start to react negatively to having bad food go through your system.

You just don't realise this on a bad diet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He was eating only plain potatoes for weeks at a time, a true Irish diet. He follows a mostly vegan diet now AFAIK but eats just once a day, something like that. He has a video here about his loss: https://bigthink.com/videos/penn-jillette-on-losing-100lbs-of-weight
    When you eat healthily you crave healthy food eventually, you stop wanting other things as much. He talks there about resetting his taste buds and I really found that, even healthy things start tasting really sweet when you don't eat added sugar and so on. He doesn't crave cake and so on.

The reason a lot of people rebound weight is they see dieting as putting themselves through torture food wise just to get to a lower number, instead of eating healthily and finding things they actually like to eat that are better for them. Otherwise, unless they have great willpower they just crack eventually.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Body reacts to what exactly?

Not sure to be honest
    I was just as good if not better than the weeks I lost 4KG and 2Kg .

Talking to other people they all state the rate of loss will slow down from the spike at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

When you eat healthily you crave healthy food eventually, you stop wanting other things as much. He talks there about resetting his taste buds and I really found that, even healthy things start tasting really sweet when you don't eat added sugar and so on. He doesn't crave cake and so on.

The reason a lot of people rebound weight is they see dieting as putting themselves through torture food wise just to get to a lower number, instead of eating healthily and finding things they actually like to eat that are better for them. Otherwise, unless they have great willpower they just crack eventually.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. I made a lot of gradual changes to my diet back in Jan and I realised that I genuinely prefer not to get the big greasy takeaway but instead put together something healthy even though it's a bit more effort. I certainly wasn't this way before and the changing tastebuds definitely snuck up on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

He was eating only plain potatoes for weeks at a time, a true Irish diet. He follows a mostly vegan diet now AFAIK but eats just once a day, something like that. He has a video here about his loss: https://bigthink.com/videos/penn-jillette-on-losing-100lbs-of-weight

I think most people have to approach this as what and what way are you prepared to eat for the rest of your life. Anything else will tend to yoyoesque. Its true though you can reset your taste buds so you simply view certain foods as unappealing. I went hiking with my son last week and after a 6ish hour hike I was hoping and dreaming that the shop had coconut water, wasn't interested in a coke or anything.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Not sure to be honest
    I was just as good if not better than the weeks I lost 4KG and 2Kg .

Talking to other people they all state the rate of loss will slow down from the spike at the start

Yeah you lose water weight within the first few weeks, particularly when you start eating healthier foods with less salt, and drink more water (which reduces your bodies need to store water, or something like that). After that it starts to slow, and you should only really be aiming for a loss of about 2lb (1kg) a week as otherwise you may be too low on calories, which happened to me for a while and was causing dizzy spells until I adjusted diet.

There are other diets which can help you lose faster, but they're a lot more strict in what you can eat due to having to make sure you're getting the right balance of nutrients.

He recently fasted for a full two weeks. Lost about another 25lb or so. But that's going to extremes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I just broke through the barrier. The missus ordered chinese food and I declined to have any and Instead made an omelette with a side salad. It was delicious and I was so smug eating it beside her while she gobbled down about 2000 calories in one sitting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Great video, what a cool guy. Thanks for the share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Back up to 15 2 after a week away drinking and eating out

Two training sessions and one 12 hour drinking session later down to 14 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Nothing like a 12 hour drinking session to empty the bowels of all the slow moving holiday food!

Started the intro video for DDP Yoga last night. I'm going on holidays in a few weeks so don't think I'll properly start DDP Yoga until I'm back, but even the intro video just demonstrating the poses slowly fairly got my heart pumping.

Didn't get walking the last few days due to the weather, so this will likely be my main form of exercise for the next while.

Slightly delayed monday weigh in

Week 1 118 KG
    Week 2 114 KG
    Week 3 112 KG
    Week 4 111 KG
    Week 5 110 KG

Actually quite happy with that as I kind went nuts over the bank holiday weekend , pints , steaks ,potatoes , burgers and crisps all in abundance
    Miracle that I still lost some weight !

I need to hand my championship belt back.

After a monumental weekend of boozing and fat food I have gone from 90.2 up to 92.5.

Back to the grind today. Very cross with myself.

Motivated again now though. I know it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Delayed Monday weigh in

Week 1: 86.2kg
    Week 2: 83.9kg
    Week 3: Forgot
    Week 4: 83.3kg
    Week 5: 83.6kg

Bit of a stumble this week. As above, kind of went nuts over the bank holiday weekend, was in a hotel fully indulging! I did try eating meats and veg without anything fried etc.
    Stag this coming weekend so this definitely won't go well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Hard to believe this thread is almost on the go a month. Have been following in the shadow.

Had a go at this myself, wouldn't call myself overly fat but defo have a beer belly. 6'1 and 90 odd kg.

The one thing I have learned whilst trying to go along with this over the last month, is that just around the corner there is always another boozing session / feasting opportunity. I've dropped around 1kg or so in the 4 weeks. I reckon if I just cut the booze alone / stopped going out with the lads that that would be enough to get the BMI down a bit. Literally seems to be something on every weekend!

Hard to believe this thread is almost on the go a month. Have been following in the shadow.

Had a go at this myself, wouldn't call myself overly fat but defo have a beer belly. 6'1 and 90 odd kg.

The one thing I have learned whilst trying to go along with this over the last month, is that just around the corner there is always another boozing session / feasting opportunity. I've dropped around 1kg or so in the 4 weeks. I reckon if I just cut the booze alone / stopped going out with the lads that that would be enough to get the BMI down a bit. Literally seems to be something on every weekend!

Life though has to be worth living so avoiding these events is not really feasible ,It does require steel during the week to make sure that a good weekend is a push and not a backwards step.
    I found myself thinking on a tough Thursday morning , feck it a burrito for lunch sure its not end of the world I have been good all week , but I need to save those cheats for when its with family and friends , as I will enjoy that cheat alot more.

14 9 now which is grand after the bank holiday weekend

Down to 90.8 again. Mental what a bad weekend will do to you

Monday Weigh in
    Week 1 118 KG
    Week 2 114 KG
    Week 3 112 KG
    Week 4 111 KG
    Week 5 110 KG
    Week 6 110 KG

two pals who emigrated home for a visit last week
    one was a ridiculous session on Friday that had me out till 7am
    And then the other a far more sensible dinner on Sunday but which resulted in a large Sunday dinner with Lemon meringue pie and strawberries and cream !
    To be honest a miracle I did not gain weight

this week come hell or highwater I am staying good and avoiding the pub !

89.7 today!!! Hit the 80s at last

Monday Weigh in
    Week 1 118 KG
    Week 2 114 KG
    Week 3 112 KG
    Week 4 111 KG
    Week 5 110 KG
    Week 6 110 KG
    Week 7 110 KG

okay plateauing and no real excuse this week.
    Need to refocus on diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1: 86.2kg
    Week 2: 83.9kg
    Week 3: Forgot
    Week 4: 83.3kg
    Week 5: 83.6kg
    Week 6: Conveniently "forgot" to weigh myself after a stag
    Week 7: 82.3kg

Very surprised with the weight loss this morning - had a big chinese on Saturday, thought I'd be up! Happy out!

• Advertisement

I am afraid to check after a week of drinking pints and eating burgers at the fleadh

Advertisement