Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast in Baldoyle or Sutton

Options
  • 10-07-2018 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

As per the title, where would you recommend for a full Irish breakfast? Recently moved to the area and looking for a new Saturday morning haunt.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

*Sutton and Baldoyle aren't in the north county so I've moved this into the city forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

If you're happy going a little further, Sima in Donaghmede is pretty good for a fry. Can't think of anywhere else nearby I'd recommend (though I'm still looking if anyone else has one).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

L wrote: »
    If you're happy going a little further, Sima in Donaghmede is pretty good for a fry. Can't think of anywhere else nearby I'd recommend (though I'm still looking if anyone else has one).

I just came online to suggest the same place.
    I suppose there's probably a few places in Howth, but they'd have Howth prices too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No place other than The White House bar in Baldoyal (used to be the old Graingers pub).. A superb full Irish, in fact they're fantastic for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

The White House in Baldoyle. Nothing else comes close. Enjoy.:)

Cheers folks I'll give the White House a go on Saturday :)

I took this photo of my breakfast in TWH this morning.

The photo doesn't do it justice, this is a huge plate of food.

It might seem expensive @ €12:50 but its all fresh, not self service and even the bread is made on the premise and that's fresh made tomato sauce in the small bowl.

This is a feast :)

455531.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What time does the White House open Makikomi?

It might seem expensive @ €12:50 but its all fresh, not self service and even the bread is made on the premise and that's fresh made tomato sauce in the small bowl.

455531.jpg

Yum, that's exactly what I'm after! Lash in to that, a read of the paper, bliss!

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    What time does the White House open Makikomi?

I think it's 10am except for Sunday, I was looking on Google earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

*Sutton and Baldoyle aren't in the north county so I've moved this into the city forum :)

What qualifies as the north county? Baldoyle and Sutton are are both in Fingal.

Tahnks for the tip onthe White House. Gonna try that real soon

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭iHungry

What qualifies as the north county? Baldoyle and Sutton are are both in Fingal.

Tahnks for the tip onthe White House. Gonna try that real soon

If it's county Dublin there won't be a Dublin 13 in the address

I think it's 10am except for Sunday, I was looking on Google earlier

That, and I think its 12 or 12:30 on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Marine Hotel, Sutton ?

I have a recollection that non residents can breakfast in the lounge area between the bar and the sea shore.

Its a few years since I saw this so check first. Tranquil, lots of space between tables, lovely spot.
    iHungry wrote: »
    If it's county Dublin there won't be a Dublin 13 in the address

Way O/T but FWIW Baldoyle library is in D.13 and is operated by Fingal Co Co

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/community-and-leisure/libraries/find-a-library-and-check-opening-hours/baldoyle-library/

see also thread : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056626536 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember going to Kennedys Food store on Fairview strand and it was good. Anyone know if it's still decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cienciano wrote: »
    I remember going to Kennedys Food store on Fairview strand and it was good. Anyone know if it's still decent?

Was lovely but haven't been in for a while, but if you fancy an appetite generating walk from Baldoyle, there's a Kennedys at the Hilltop shops on the way into Raheny village.

Coming from Sutton you'd probably need a bike to get to the Kennedys at Vernon Avenue, Clontarf.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

0lddog wrote: »
    Marine Hotel, Sutton ?

I have a recollection that non residents can breakfast in the lounge area between the bar and the sea shore.

Its a few years since I saw this so check first. Tranquil, lots of space between tables, lovely spot.

Food isn't great and it has a real wedding/funeral/bingo vibe these days. Pity as it's a lovely location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

0lddog wrote: »
    Marine Hotel, Sutton ?

Cucinos has been getting ok reviews but the Marine's own food is very poor as are the pints.

455531.jpg

Right, went and tried it this morning

You are right, picture does not so it justice. Nicest breakfast I can remember having. Meats are all very good, generously sized. Thick, proper rashers. Delicious gormet style sausages which are a meal themselves. Eggs done perfectly. Bread is lovely, fresh tomatoe sauce likewise. Puddings great too. Even the grilled tomatoe which is commonly ruined was done perfectly. Mushrooms great too. Top Quality ingredients here.

Staff very friendly and helpful.

I got the full Irish and a pot of tea, set me back 15 quid which is in the expensive end but well worth it. Got the impression my pot of tea would be topped up at no extra charge so would be better value if I were much of a tea drinker.

Food service doesn't appear to start until 11am. I was there for about an hour and was amazed I had the place to myself. Absolutely perfect place to have a great breakfast and chill out reading the paper. I'll be back there next week.

To say I am stuffed is an understatement. Going to cycle up Howth later to burn some of it off!

Many thanks for the tip, only five minutes from where I'm loving so I can't ask for more.

There's also a Sheffield bike stand outside to lock you bike, but there's only one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

€15 for a a fry up? We are back indeed.

RasTa wrote: »

12:50 if you just get the fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

RasTa wrote: »

Sorry for going off topic but Yes we are back, there'll be Fade Street ****e back on the Tele before we know where we are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Right, went and tried it this morning

You are right, picture does not so it justice. Nicest breakfast I can remember having. Meats are all very good, generously sized. Thick, proper rashers. Delicious gormet style sausages which are a meal themselves. Eggs done perfectly. Bread is lovely, fresh tomatoe sauce likewise. Puddings great too. Even the grilled tomatoe which is commonly ruined was done perfectly. Mushrooms great too. Top Quality ingredients here.

Staff very friendly and helpful.

I got the full Irish and a pot of tea, set me back 15 quid which is in the expensive end but well worth it. Got the impression my pot of tea would be topped up at no extra charge so would be better value if I were much of a tea drinker.

Food service doesn't appear to start until 11am. I was there for about an hour and was amazed I had the place to myself. Absolutely perfect place to have a great breakfast and chill out reading the paper. I'll be back there next week.

To say I am stuffed is an understatement. Going to cycle up Howth later to burn some of it off!

Many thanks for the tip, only five minutes from where I'm loving so I can't ask for more.

There's also a Sheffield bike stand outside to lock you bike, but there's only one.

TMI. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

€15 for a fry is really pretty pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

€10 for large Irish breakfast in Moloughneys Clontarf on Vernon Avenue but that doesn't come with tea\coffee.
    Free range fried egg, bacon, Clonanny Farm free range sausages, Tournafulla puddings, potato cake, mushrooms, roast tomato, white or brown soda toast.

And I like that they have option for a €7.50 one:
    Free range fried egg, bacon, Clonanny Farm free range sausages, Tournafulla puddings, roast tomato, white or brown soda toast

http://www.moloughneys.ie/eating/breakfast.php

Some places will put an extra €5 on the price of a fry if it's on the brunch menu rather than breakfast menu.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

humberklog wrote: »
    €15 for a fry is really pretty pricey.

Its not €15 for a fry.

Its €12:50, and its a feast.

I've just had a 'full Irish' in Laragh, Co.Wicklow this morning costing €11:50 (€2:50 extra for coffee) and it was like a paupers breakfast compared to what you get in The White House.

In TWH you really do get what you pay for.

If you're not feeling up to the full Irish you can opt for a breakfast bap, but I'm not sure the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It has to included a coffee or OJ for the price so it's €15 for me. €30 for breakfast for two is too much.

Glad you enjoyed it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah I'm including T or C in the price. A fry has to have T or C served with it and most places include it in the price.
    For example I was in Eccles Cafe on Dorset St. on friday morning. It's all cooked fresh as it's ordered and their big breakfast (not unlike TWH photo above) was a tenner and of course that price included T or C.

That's not to take away from TWH and it looks like a nice spot in an awkward location to get food. But no matter what way you look at it 15 blips is very expensive. 50% dearer than Eccles which itself isn't on the cheap end of the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 quinda

House restaurant in Howth has a fantastic breakfast / brunch. Quite expensive (€13.25 for the full Irish) but very high quality home made ingredients and a really varied menu. Their Chowder is the best in Howth IMO. Coffee cups a little small, but great coffee too. Nice for a treat.

Advertisement