Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best tough android phone under 300

• 10-07-2018 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Sick of screens breaking. Have had 5 xiaomi. And the first lasted well think it was a mi4 then my own fault I broke screen. Next lasted about 3mts and screen broke but seemed for no reason. Then I saw it had curved like a banana. The next lasted 5 days and battery bent the phone.

So I want a tough phone any recommendations budget of around 300

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm in the market for the same.

Had a few Oukitel phones in the past and have liked them, so thinking about the Oukitel K10000 Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

What you need is a decent case like an otterbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

st1979 wrote: »
    Sick of screens breaking. Have had 5 xiaomi. And the first lasted well think it was a mi4 then my own fault I broke screen. Next lasted about 3mts and screen broke but seemed for no reason. Then I saw it had curved like a banana. The next lasted 5 days and battery bent the phone.

So I want a tough phone any recommendations budget of around 300
    I've a mi Max 2 since they came out,have good rugged protection on back, always dropping it,still as new

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NightStone

Just my 2c
    I bought a blackview p9000 pro
    As I was constantly breaking phones replacing screens on other models .
    It is not the most up to date phone ( but what is )
    However it has all the most common "wants".
    It's tough and reliable .
    I've had no issues at all
    The battery lasts a decent amount of time too .

It's sold as one of the toughest in world I doubt that but it is full protected waterproof etc etc

I got mine through eBay I did have to wait a while due to shipping.
    Mine was under 300

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Is it the phone or the phone user the problem is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Jennehy wrote:
    Is it the phone or the phone user the problem is?

Totally my fault when I drop them. But my first xiaomi lasted brilliantly even after a few drops. Got more than a year from it. But my next went banana shaped and that cracked the screen. Blamed myself that I must of done something to bend it while in my pocket. Got another to keep me going a cheap xiaomi while mine was sent for repair. It lasted 5 days then the screen cracked and phone was banana shaped. And it screen was perfect 3 mins before. So I knew I had done nothing to bend the phone. But the repair shop showed me the battery expanded that caused the bend.

Just looking at reviews of these tough phones and interesting to hear good reporon on the bv9000.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NightStone

Those bv9000 are all over eBay different prices
    I got the 6gb ram one . ( Think it highest spec they do ) .
    I use and abuse it all day and have it a few month now .
    Touch wood all good

Well any new tough phones out now. I went and bought the black view bv9000pro.
    My review of the phone is 2 fold. First I believe I got a second or return phone. And was messed about by the eBay seller. My fault for not being more proactive in doing a PayPal dispute. Quickly after buying it the speaker went faulty. Blackview don't have warranty and seller in UK did nothing. Ended up bringing it for repair. The solder was faulty going to speaker and the repair shop taught someone had already tried to repair.
    So apart from that I actually really like the phone. And has been dropped and sat on, been in very dusty and all good.
    The 2 SIM card slots is handy. Not great camera as it sometimes seems to be slow to take photo so if you drop your hand to quick the photo is blurred.
    Much prefer these rugged phones than normal one in an expensive case.
    Not looking to change yet but like looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What I would recommend is to watch JerryRigEverything on YouTube.

Pick a phone he deems as being durable. Especially in the bend test!

Shortlist a few and then see if otter box makes a case.
    Then buy the phone and the otter box case.

After that you'll need to be a little more careful with it then also :-)

biebiebie wrote:
    After that you'll need to be a little more careful with it then also :-)

Why. I bought a blackview. No need for cover. And if hadn't of been a returned item I would give it 10 out of 10

• Advertisement

st1979 wrote: »
    Why. I bought a blackview. No need for cover. And if hadn't of been a returned item I would give it 10 out of 10

Looks to me like you answered your own question right there :D

My point being you can buy a well built durable phone with a little research. Brand new. And won't break the bank either.

Might be good advice for others to consider anyhow even if you don't see any sense in it.

biebiebie wrote:
    My point being you can buy a well built durable phone with a little research. Brand new. And won't break the bank either.

biebiebie wrote:
    Might be good advice for others to consider anyhow even if you don't see any sense in it.

Ok. Your absolutely right.
    But you are talking about phones you then put a cover on. I am not. I prefer my phone not to require one. And that is what I bought

There are lots of threads here about Chinese phones etc. This is a niche area which you obviously are not in need of. But considering how nearly all phones then have to have a cover bought for them it's a pity it's not more mainstream.

Anyway please I was only giving my review of my rugged phone and it was bought new and it cost new price. It's just a fact that blackview do not offer any warranty which is why they don't sell direct in Europe.

I am only really interested in hearing from people who use other rugged phones (that don't require a cover) it may of been interesting. But maybe I will just buy another otter box instead.

Btw I'm writing this on a Chinese Xiaomi phone :-)
    Nothing wrong with them especially if you want value for money.
    And my next will be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

While otter cases are very good. I've found any decent tough case make a huge difference to phone longevity. Personally I find them much easier to hold if in a decent case they are too slim and slippery otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

beauf wrote: »
    While otter cases are very good. I've found any decent tough case make a huge difference to phone longevity. Personally I find them much easier to hold if in a decent case they are too slim and slippery otherwise.

I recently picked up a love mei case for my p20 Pro ,it's the toughest case I've personally come across for any phone ,had a few otter boxes over the years but they don't come close to the love mei case ,it's made from aluminium , silicon and toughened glass and you bolt the case on to the phone using Allen keys ,
    Adds a fair amount of weight and extra with but I find it more comfortable and easier to hold even one handed

Advertisement