Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam call

Options
  • 10-07-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I just received a call that sounded like a new twist on the regular 'Microsoft scam' call, this time the caller claimed to be calling from Eir, he knew my surname, address and phone number and was seemingly very concerned about my internet security. He then transferred me to his supervisor who claimed he was calling from Brazil, and then started to instruct me to turn on my computer and open a Google Chrome page and log on to eir.com. At this point I just gave up and told him that I knew it was a scam, and he hung up. I just thought that Eir should know that this is happening and to warn others of this new twist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Fendy wrote: »
    I just received a call that sounded like a new twist on the regular 'Microsoft scam' call, this time the caller claimed to be calling from Eir, he knew my surname, address and phone number and was seemingly very concerned about my internet security. He then transferred me to his supervisor who claimed he was calling from Brazil, and then started to instruct me to turn on my computer and open a Google Chrome page and log on to eir.com. At this point I just gave up and told him that I knew it was a scam, and he hung up. I just thought that Eir should know that this is happening and to warn others of this new twist.
    Hi Fendy, 

Thanks for letting us know about this. 

This would be a scam call and I'd advised to always hang up on these calls. You can view all details on this here - https://www.eir.ie/support/latest-updates/phishing-call-attack-targeting-eir-customers-friday-06-07-2018/

I'll be sure to pass this feedback on for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Hi Fendy,

Are you in the phone book by any chance or are you ex-directory?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fendy

I'm in the phone book, which I assume is where they got my name and address

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi
    How to check if my number is on eir phone book ?
    I have broadband and phone from eir and I never shared my landline number as I'm using it only to call locally (doctor, gas and electricity providers).
    I received couple of phishing/scam calls already.

Tom

PS. One was interesting as recorder voice told me that my visa card starting with 4 was compromised !
    Thing is ALL visa cards starts with 4 !! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Hi
    I have broadband and phone from eir and I never shared my landline number as I'm using it only to call locally (doctor, gas and electricity providers).

Tom

PS. One was interesting as recorder voice told me that my visa card starting with 4 was compromised !
    hahaha 4? they arent very clever are they haha

Did these people have any of your details or just trying vague questions and answers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭RGB LDN

Hi

Tom

Hey there, if you log into my eir it'll show you if you're number is in the directory, and It'll give you an option to make your number ex-directory (aka not in the phone book). When you log into your account, go ahead and click on "profile" at the top right, and then scroll to the bottom, and the option will be on the bottom left. Hope this helps you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi

Tom

Hi somebody_else, 

Thanks for getting in contact with us here. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I can check this for you and remove you if required. 

Thanks

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi
    Followed RGB LDN advice and now my number should be ex directory.

Tom

@sexmag:
    It was recorded message saying that my visa card was charged 100 (or similar) for Microsoft ..... something.
    Didn't listened and hung up before they reached end of recording.

Tom 

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Just got one of these calls too. When I answered I got a recorded messages saying my Internet was faulty and would be disconnected within 12 hours. I then got through to a guy who claimed to be Eircom tech support who said he need to reconfigure my broadband. He for quite aggressive when I suggested he wasn't from Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Maybe he was from Eir-etrea and thats why he was annoyed....
    RioM wrote: »
    Just got one of these calls too. When I answered  I got a recorded messages saying my Internet was faulty and would be disconnected within 12 hours. I then got through to a guy who claimed to be Eircom tech support who said he need to reconfigure my broadband. He for quite aggressive when I suggested he wasn't from Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

It def wasn't Eire anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi All,

Please be advised that our Technical support representatives do not make outbound calls unless a specific request has been made by an account holder. We would also never ask you to disclose personal information such as bank account details. Full information on this can be found in the link below.

https://www.eir.ie/support/latest-updates/phishing-call-attack-targeting-eir-customers-friday-06-07-2018/

Thanks,

Sarah

Advertisement