Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of adding someone onto Council rent.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I know what your saying, its easy telling the guy to "toughen up" and tell him he has to live too. But his ex is a nightmare, he rings the kids every day and drives up and down from Cavan once a week to take them back to Dublin foe a while.
    If he only pays half the mortgage, she won't pay her half,end of. She is constantly on the phone to him, money, money, money.
    He told her for years he was so unhappy and she didn't give a fook, now she is totally playing the victim card in this.

Yah excuse the bluntness, obviously thats not how you would say it to him. He needs support ect but he also needs to come to the realization that he cannot do it all and has to at some point realize that his own health and well being is important as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Thanks to all who posted, but I feel this thread has drifted into the Personal Issues section and not the Accommodation and Property section so if a mod is reading this could you please close this off now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

LirW wrote: »
    I genuinely hope that none of the posters here that think this man is an entitled manchild will ever face a messy marriage breakdown with tons of debt involved, maybe even negative enquity and a stay at home partner that's can't be engaged. This isn't some tiny bump in life, this is literally starting from scratch because many in divorce proceedings lose almost everything.
    Also it's not that he now wants to live the dole life waiting for mammy to pass on to get a grand council house in Dublin. Not surprised that he needs to get back on his feet after something so groundbreaking.
    The mother is fine having him around but naturally of course she thinks of the right thing to do and think about eventual implications. Can't think of the outcry of the high horse brigade here if she'd just move him in without declaring it.
    Let's just hope that all of you have a security net in place if you'd lose your home, marriage, well paying job because of an accident. Life fcuking happens and sometimes despite our best efforts we can't help ourselves out of it.

Anyway I hope that the guy in the OP and his mother get the information they need, all the best to them.

Thanks LirW, you have been a tonic in a thread I am really sorry I started now:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- the retired lady really needs to get professional advice.
    Its all well and good looking for pointers here on Boards- however, we could either send you off in an inappropriate direction- or unintentionally give you entirely misleading information. At very least the lady would loose her living alone allowance- but she could also loose a number of other benefits- and there is absolutely no reason that the local authority could or should agree to adding her adult son as a co-tenant to the property (there has been a crack-down on people doing things like this).

The lady needs to go and talk to DSP, Citizens Advice- and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

What Local Authority is it? The differential rent schemes are published on line and outline the rules in the local authority area.

Is this house that the mother is in the family house. Did your friend grow up there? If so the council will have records of your friend living there. It will be no issue to the council they will assess your friend for rent, charge the differential percentage of the household income. Your friend would not be able to go on the tenancy though...as they own property. The house would have to be dealt with in a divorce before he would be allowed on a tenancy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks to all who posted, but I feel this thread has drifted into the Personal Issues section and not the Accommodation and Property section so if a mod is reading this could you please close this off now please?

Done as requested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement