Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Holyhead to Liverpool (and Back)

Options
  • 10-07-2018 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hoping to do this spin in August with about 5 cyclists. We would hope to average 25-30kph on road bikes and looking for some advice from anyone who has experienced this route.
    I have read mixed views about the Sustrans route 5 and cycling the A5/A55.

Any advice or recommendations for planning the route appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is definitely a nice enough route that is used as an Audax, I will try and find it and post it. Any particular reason for Holyhead to Liverpool. The Sail and Rail would be as cheap as a foot passenger and you could set off from anywhere in the UK with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A5 from Holyhead to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is fine, crossing the Menai Bridge is usually fine too. Just be wary of getting lost in Bangor.

From Bangor you have a choice of hugging the coast or taking the A5 up into the hills. I would definitely recommend cycling Dyffryn Ogwen. Follow the A5 as far as Betws-y-Coed and then follow the River Conwy down to the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

CramCycle wrote: »
    There is definitely a nice enough route that is used as an Audax, I will try and find it and post it. Any particular reason for Holyhead to Liverpool. The Sail and Rail would be as cheap as a foot passenger and you could set off from anywhere in the UK with that.

Thanks for the info lads. We're a bunch of cyclists wanting to do something different. Plan is to send a bag of regular clothes ahead to the hotel (Prem Inn are bike friendly) Sail/cycle over on a saturday, go to a Liverpool match on Sunday (WHU) and cycle back on the Monday for an evening ferry home.
    Am trying to nail down the logistics before we put any money down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

heraldo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads. We're a bunch of cyclists wanting to do something different. Plan is to send a bag of regular clothes ahead to the hotel (Prem Inn are bike friendly) Sail/cycle over on a saturday, go to a Liverpool match on Sunday (WHU) and cycle back on the Monday for an evening ferry home.

Issue may be the ferries home, Irish Ferries last sailing is 5:15, Stenna have one at 7:30 I think but they insist on you packing the bikes as luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

heraldo wrote: »

That sounded lovely, until you started on about soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Route is here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3786963

You have to turn up for liverpool half way across.
    P_1 wrote: »
    Issue may be the ferries home, Irish Ferries last sailing is 5:15, Stenna have one at 7:30 I think but they insist on you packing the bikes as luggage

Sail and Rail ask you to but once you have your ticket, you can just walk out the door and cycle around. I usually leave my bike over to the side when picking up the ticket so as to not invite the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

P_1 wrote: »

Stenaline go 20:30 and 02:30. Irish ferries go similar times too, that 5:15 is the fast ferry but there are later ones

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Plenty of good advice so far. I'm from Anglesey so know those roads quite well. As mentioned, Holyhead to Llanfairpwll should be no bother (go the coast way, i.e. from Valley go towards Aberfraw & past Newborough) then cross at the Menai Bridge (not the Britannia bridge).
    I'd recommend you then head up towards Bethesda and on to Betws-Y-Coed, as also mentioned.
    The route CramCycle gave looks to hug the main dual carriage way (the A55). If it were me, from Betws-Y-Coed I'd then head towards Denbigh or Mold direction.
    The area then around Neston or Heswall I know has a lot of cyclists so you could probably pick any route to/from that area, maybe even search Strava for what's popular. But just beware of the Mersey tunnels - not sure how they are for cyclists, or whether you'll need to go via the Runcorn way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭The Kop

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That sounded lovely, until you started on about soccer.

The soccer part sounded like the best part of the trip to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Thanks for the routes/tips, some pieces need to be ironed out alright. The plan is to make the 5.15 ferry, leaving with enough time for stops and potential puncture breaks. Try and keep close to the train route in case of any serious problems.
    I've read not so great things about storing your bike on the car deck with Irish Ferries too.
    Sorry about the Footy reference.... we all have our foibles. :)

@P_1, thanks for the route tips. You detour via Betws-y-Coed look smashing and scenic. I reckon it would add about 20km & 60-90 mins with the climbing. Might be a call to make on the day depending on the weather.

@Welshkev Thanks for the info. I'll have a good look at your advice this afternoon. I've had a look @ the A55 on Streetview and maps. Not much hard shoulder and speed limit looks to be 70mph so might try and avoid that. I've read up on the Mersey tunnels and I think cyclists are not allowed between 7am-7pm. No problems with the ferry though so we'll do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

@Welshkev Thanks for the info. I'll have a good look at your advice this afternoon. I've had a look @ the A55 on Streetview and maps. Not much hard shoulder and speed limit looks to be 70mph so might try and avoid that. I've read up on the Mersey tunnels and I think cyclists are not allowed between 7am-7pm. No problems with the ferry though so we'll do that.[/QUOTE]

It's basically a motorway. Pretty sure you're not allowed to cycle on it. There is a bike path which kind of criss-crosses it between Bangor and Conway along the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Welshkev wrote: »
    Plenty of good advice so far. I'm from Anglesey so know those roads quite well. As mentioned, Holyhead to Llanfairpwll should be no bother (go the coast way, i.e. from Valley go towards Aberfraw & past Newborough) then cross at the Menai Bridge (not the Britannia bridge).
    I'd recommend you then head up towards Bethesda and on to Betws-Y-Coed, as also mentioned.
    The route CramCycle gave looks to hug the main dual carriage way (the A55). If it were me, from Betws-Y-Coed I'd then head towards Denbigh or Mold direction.
    The area then around Neston or Heswall I know has a lot of cyclists so you could probably pick any route to/from that area, maybe even search Strava for what's popular. But just beware of the Mersey tunnels - not sure how they are for cyclists, or whether you'll need to go via the Runcorn way.

I'm from Denbigh originally and that route would be great for the views and coming from betws y coed over the moors but it's a lot more challenging than the coast road. Cycle path from llanfairfechan is good generally apart from a lot of walkers and tourists in the summer. Denbigh - mold main road isn't great for cycling and the alternative back roads are great but again there's a bit of climbing if your going over the Clwydian range. Nothing major in itself but after coming from Holyhead and over the moors it would start to add up and still a decent amount left to cycle to get to Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Welshkev wrote: »

I cycled in that area in April, great place for cycling, I would also recommend staying a bit away from the A roads. there are some great routes and cycle-ways all over that neck of the woods.

Advertisement