Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with a broken collarbone

Options
  • 10-07-2018 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭

So on Sunday just gone i came down in a crash racing and unfortunately broke my collarbone .
    Once the initial pain goes i want to start using the turbo to try and maintain some sort of fitness and hopefully make a race by the end of the season.
    I also want to keep off the weight , I'll be keeping an eye on my diet during this time too.
    So if anyone has any experience with how to approach starting training with this injury id love to hear your advice .
    My bike can not take on clip on tt bars , so that option is out.
    Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There were photos of a pro, a couple of years ago, who rigged up a step ladder, to support his arm.
    I can't find them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There were photos of a pro, a couple of years ago, who rigged up a step ladder, to support his arm.
    I can't find them at the moment.

Matthew Hayman.

Garage_Sat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Would that not put pressure on the collarbone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear that! Can you not just sit up on turbo? I dont see how you will take much pressure off a collarbone. Have done it twice myself but hadnt been cycling at the time. Might be hard to do intensity/high cadence stuff but perhaps some BG work to maintain strength

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've done it with shattered collarbone, broken elbow and dislocated shoulder. I borrowed a turbo (I usually use rollers), have the cross body sling on and put a body band strap across the top of the arm in sling if you know what I mean - I wasn't allowed to move the arm for 4 months so had to lock it in place. So regular body band from sling on, then another one over arm on top of everything if that makes sense. Worked well. Limiting movement was key. The sling gets *very* disgustingly sweaty, I had a turbo specific sling cos it was mank, and even after washing I knew!

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that! Can you not just sit up on turbo? I dont see how you will take much pressure off a collarbone. Have done it twice myself but hadnt been cycling at the time. Might be hard to do intensity/high cadence stuff but perhaps some BG work to maintain strength

Yeah the problem is the lack of intensity , i know i can do high cadence or as ypu say big gear work , just never envisaged myself in this situation . I suppose i was wondering how people who have been approached it .

nee wrote: »
    I've done it with shattered collarbone, broken elbow and dislocated shoulder. I borrowed a turbo (I usually use rollers), have the cross body sling on and put a body band strap across the top of the arm in sling if you know what I mean - I wasn't allowed to move the arm for 4 months so had to lock it in place. So regular body band from sling on, then another one over arm on top of everything if that makes sense. Worked well. Limiting movement was key. The sling gets *very* disgustingly sweaty, I had a turbo specific sling cos it was mank, and even after washing I knew!
    Thats a good idea about the 2 slings , that will help as at the moment any movement at all causes a serious shooting pain ... cheers .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sorry to hear about your injury.

When I did my shoulder I waited 3 weeks for the initial shooting pains to subside then started with low z2 stuff for 30 mins then build from there.
    If you believe in am fasted training this is a good way to feel like you are doing something worthwhile on the bike. As regards position you'll find a solution depending on your turbo set up, i used a plank from window ledge to a chair on a box to give it the correct height.

One thing as you are injured your hr will read funny all through recovery so be mindful of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I had a distal fracture just over 3 years ago - see it kinda depends on the break, and more importantly, what the surgeon tells ye really:
    In my case the two bits of bone were 'in line' more or less, and being distal as well they decided not to bother operate...basically just "take some tramadol and don't move for a few weeks". Bones would knit back together then. No 'hardware' installed.

I gave it 2 weeks total rest before getting on the turbo - but again I stress.. it does depend on what the Ortho tells ye. I was told to sit still basically :eek:

So as I couldn't really move* I got a block of some light packing material (areoboard or whatever it's called, and sort of very lightly leaned by fingertips onto that while it was on top of the bars. More weight on my other arm then.
    Mixed that with basically just sitting up off the bars as if riding no-hands.
    Did some 30min sessions at first, then increased and was doing 2hr sessions.
    After 12-weeks I was allowed back out on to the real world, but age is a factor there as well...being young helps with recovery, being nearly 50 doesn't :o

Was surprised how much form I retained. Belted round the SKT no bother :cool:

*immobilisation for me was an awful issue, nearly more so than the break! Took some very painful physio to regain movement again. Stretching and stretching and forcing the range of movement back again...uggghhh! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

sullzz wrote: »
    Would that not put pressure on the collarbone ?

Sorry, I should have added that Hayman broke his arm, not his clavicle, so not an example to follow. I just wanted to help out the previous poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

i had a week off and then just got back on the turbo. No issues holding the bars just went as hard as i could when i got comfortable. funnily enough had my best sason after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

When I fractured my wrists I found the sit down cycling machine in the gym rather useful to keep the strength in the legs without risking damage to the wrist. Different injury I know but presumably you'd need to keep weight off the arms for a while

Advertisement