Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 10-18 vs 10-22

Options
  • 10-07-2018 11:46am
    Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a new landscape lens. Currently using the 50mm 1.8 which is decent but just way too tight most of the time for real sprawling landscapes.

Looking at the 10-18 4.5-5.6 and the 10-22 3.5-4.5 USM. The USM is about twice the price.

Is it worth the extra? I can afford either, but curious as to people’s thoughts.

There’s also the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 which is bang in the middle price wise?

Anyone have any of these they can share thoughts on? I’ve a 1300D, relative beginner but want something that’ll last. Will hopefully buy second hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Loki98

I had the the Sigma 10-20 and found it to be a cracker of a lens. Never tried either of the Canons

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

I had both. 10-18mm is a much better value.Excellent sharpness and a built in Stabilization. I've sold my 10-22mm and was much happier with the 18mm version

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I have sigma and it is nice lens, but can't compare it with the other two.

If you are using it for landscapes only, I wouldn't spend twice as much on the usm version.

You won't really use the extra light and will be focusing on infinity mostly, so none of its extra features are necessary for you.

Try to find online comparison regarding sharpness to see if there is significant difference between those two.

As for sigma it is very well built lens, but if you are using filters, they are expensive (82mm).

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks all, between you guys and elsewhere it seems the 10-18 is the way to go.

And saves a bit of cash for me to buy some other stuff. :D

Advertisement