Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going in the Commuting & Transport forum

Options
  • 10-07-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it's current format was down to a couple of the forum mods trying to turn it into their own personal tree house/echo chamber. Just the usual carry on, mouth frothing about public opinion, giving leeway to posters or other mods to cross the line with anyone who dissents then hammering the other party if they respond. It's all fairly standard Boards.ie malaise caused by not rotating mods out of positions regularly to prevent them from building little fiefdoms.

But then I started receiving PM's about certain threads being deleted (not locked) as soon as they're posted. So put my mind to rest here: is Boards.ie receiving payment in any shape (advertising etc.) from companies and bodies involved in transport. That would be the NTA, Dublin bus, Go ahead, Dept of Transport etc. etc.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Moving to Help Desk, as this is a forum issue rather than site-wide feedback.

Dublin Bus and RSA advertise from time to time, but that has no bearing on what can or can't be discussed. The only threads deleted - and the most recent occurrence of this was mid-June - are posted by serial re-reg trolls.

If you have issues with moderation, I would advise PM-ing the mod team to understand why certain decisions were made or reporting issues to CMods who can look at how things are handled and see if any guidance or tweaks are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Moving to Help Desk, as this is a forum issue rather than site-wide feedback.

Dublin Bus and RSA advertise from time to time, but that has no bearing on what can or can't be discussed. The only threads deleted - and the most recent occurrence of this was mid-June - are posted by serial re-reg trolls.

If you have issues with moderation, I would advise PM-ing the mod team to understand why certain decisions were made or reporting issues to CMods who can look at how things are handled and see if any guidance or tweaks are needed.

Reporting a problem to the people who are the problem is a waste of time mate, as well you know.

As is you moving this to the dead end that is helpdesk boards.ie killing feedback with bureaucracy. Great to see the mega thread on feedback that ran for months and resulted on all kinds of promises on how boards would learn its lessons was taken out behind the shed and quietly shot once the fuss died down

Well you've confirmed that Dublin Bus are a customer, which gels with what I heard, so that's nice. Don't see how you can say if that revenue is influencing anything. :confused:

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

The office hasn't passed any official stances onto the modding team and they're unaware of ad placements until they appear in the ad spots. Meanwhile, companies don't imposed restrictions or clauses to go with advertising.

Issues with moderation can also be brought up with the CMods and Admins as well as the Mods themselves, but we advise people to go to the Mods as a first point of contact; you get direct responses from the people involved in the decision and you can talk it out and perhaps build an understanding. Do you have specific instances to point to, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bambi - you mention receiving PMs about threads being deleted. Can you provide a little more detail on where these PMs are coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

No threads deleted in the last month bar the rereg trolls.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Bambi - you mention receiving PMs about threads being deleted. Can you provide a little more detail on where these PMs are coming from?

Interesting that the person who wanted more details on who was sending me PMs just deleted every single post by a new user who appeared to be a dublin bus driver and also edited every single post that quoted that user. One of the PMs I received alleged that a bunch of Dublin Bus drivers had regged on the site together and were promptly banned.

There was nothing in those posts that was against the charter, and even if the poster was an alleged re-reg why edit all trace of them away?

What's actually going on here lads, something very odd methinks :confused:

So did someone just delete a post here? This nothing-to-see-here-move-along-carry on is all very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Bambi wrote: »
    Interesting that the person who wanted more details on who was sending me PMs just deleted every single post by a new user who appeared to be a dublin bus driver and also edited every single post that quoted that user. One of the PMs I received alleged that a bunch of Dublin Bus drivers had regged on the site together and were promptly banned.

There was nothing in those posts that was against the charter, and even if the poster was an alleged re-reg why edit all trace of them away?

What's actually going on here lads, something very odd methinks :confused:

There has been a sustained campaign of abuse and trolling in the C&T forum from parties who claim to represent bus drivers and unions. This has been going on since at least last year. This has extended to obscene posts and obscene choice of usernames designed to insult posters and mods, and even going so far as to threaten Boards with a continued campaign of trolling in order to force an appointment one of their members as a moderator. Try to justify to me that that is acceptable here.

That poster(s) is a serial re-reg troll and time waster. Posts from serial re-reggers (whose purpose is to spread misinformation) are deleted across the site, not just in the C&T forum. You are noticing it in the C&T forum because of your interest, but it happens on a daily basis across many other forums also.

Bambi wrote: »
    So did someone just delete a post here? This nothing-to-see-here-move-along-carry on is all very interesting.

No posts have been deleted in this thread. Probably just down to a time delay in approving the pre-moderated posts. I just approved your last two posts as I had not seen them until now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I used to receive those PMs. They targeted people that appeared to be popular. Managed to see some of the commentary referenced and saw it was just a loaf of nonsense.

The mods can be very strong in their opinions on commuting and transport. But for the most part, the majority of posters tend to put their own input into the forum fairly strongly. So I'd be inclined to suggest one keeps up with the forum, or sits back and watch how it flows.

Advertisement