Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Term to Fix Rates At?

Options
  • 10-07-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

We went sale agreed on a house next week. The Bank have asked us what rate / term they want us to fix our mortgage at. Some background. We are getting married next year so we would like to save as much as possible for it, we would also like to put other case into setting up the house (it is turn key but we need to buy furniture etc)

The current offerings we see at the moment are

2.3% for 2 years Ulster Bank
    2.6% for 4 years UB

the difference between option 1 and 2 is 60 euro per month. Our initial idea is to go for the first option and save the money for the wedding etc and then fix again. Are we mad not to go for the 4 year option with Brexit etc going on ? extra bit of predictability for 60 euro per month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I would go for the longes fixed term possible.can you get ten years. I though there was a bank offering that ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I would go for the longes fixed term possible.can you get ten years. I though there was a bank offering that ?

My understanding is BOI are offering 3.5% for 10 years fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

BOI and KBC both offer a 10 year fixed but the 2.6% with UB is a good deal a full 1% lower than the 10 year options. Most people don't think rates will fall much but even if they stayed the same and you got the same again in 4 years you would save a lot compared to the 10 year.

Between the 2 and 4 year, its hard to know, I'd be inclined to go with the 4 year fixed just for the security of knowing what you are paying for the bit longer. But really there is no 100% right answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

We fixed for 5 years with KBC, I would have preferred 10 but the monthly payments were that bit too high considering. Pretty happy with 5 years fixed at 3.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

cruizer101 wrote: »
    BOI and KBC both offer a 10 year fixed but the 2.6% with UB is a good deal a full 1% lower than the 10 year options. Most people don't think rates will fall much but even if they stayed the same and you got the same again in 4 years you would save a lot compared to the 10 year.

No, most people don't think they will fall much, most people think they will rise, which would mean you will not get the same rate to "roll over" in 4 years time. It is not a question of either falling or staying the same.

OFC nothing is certain. Fixed rates are about buying certainty, for you and for the bank. If interest rates swings were entirely predictable there would be less need for fixed rate products, they would only be for smoothing cashflow not for hedging against rate rises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Any sort of increase in rates will mean the extra you'll be paying from 24months - 48 months will outweigh the €60 saving you'll achieve on the 2.3% - I'd be going 4 years too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We went for 5 for predictability.

I wouldn’t fix for 10, seems too long. IMO anything beyond 5-6 years is just total guesswork as to what the market will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Any sort of increase in rates will mean the extra you'll be paying from 24months - 48 months will outweigh the €60 saving you'll achieve on the 2.3% - I'd be going 4 years too.

Well you dont know that.
    I think only IF it increases by 0.7 (€120 a month) after 24 months, you will end up paying more in the 4 year period.
    Dont forget that you can break the fixed term with almost no penalty lately.
    I would go with 2.3 but thats just me,
    Im on svr atm, will fix once i hear about any increases.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Well you dont know that.
    I think only IF it increases by 0.7 (€120 a month) after 24 months, you will end up paying more in the 4 year period.

There's also the option to fix at 2.3% for the 2 years and overpay by the €60 or so when you can. (BOI allow overpayment up to 10% on Fixed rates). Might give you some flexibility. It's unlikely to be significant, but it would also mean that, after the 2 years, you'd have less capital to pay back, therefore the variable rates would need to go up by more than the 0.7 mentioned above to end up paying more.

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Well you dont know that.

Yep , I agree, but 3% is hard found today in today’s markets so I think it’ll be very hard found in two years.
    Also I haven’t seen much evidence of no breakage fees, in my own situation with AIB I’ve 12 months left of a 36 month fixed term and they are charging me €1k+ to break

• Advertisement

To me its a no brainer fix for ten years.Rates will only go up.ecb will raise next year. When the next property crash comes you will have certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I wouldn’t. I’d take the smaller one and over pay it to match what a fixed term would be.

2.3 v 3.5 over paying will help reduce the capital and then when things do start going up you can move to a different bank or fix or keep on a variable

To me its a no brainer fix for ten years.Rates will only go up.ecb will raise next year. When the next property crash comes you will have certainty
    Far from a nine brainer, there a rates war kicking off

ted1 wrote: »

A little tickle for the papers to think theres real competition in the irish market. Dig this post up 12 months time. Ten year deals now on offer will be looked upon as been the deal that got away

A little tickle for the papers to think theres real competition in the irish market. Dig this post up 12 months time. Ten year deals now on offer will be looked upon as been the deal that got away
    New legislation in the pipeline to make switching easier and banks have to advise you of lower rates that are available.
    Our fixed rates are stil no where near the rest of Europe. They’ve room to come down further. But in the meantime pay off capital with the difference and fix if things start to move

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

awec wrote:
    I wouldn’t fix for 10, seems too long. IMO anything beyond 5-6 years is just total guesswork as to what the market will be like.

Fixing for as long as possible when rates are close to record lows is a smart no brainer financial decision

Mike3549 wrote:
    Well you dont know that. I think only IF it increases by 0.7 (€120 a month) after 24 months, you will end up paying more in the 4 year period. Dont forget that you can break the fixed term with almost no penalty lately. I would go with 2.3 but thats just me, Im on svr atm, will fix once i hear about any increases.

The fixed rate will have adjusted higher long before you hear about SVR increases.

ted1 wrote:
    Our fixed rates are stil no where near the rest of Europe. They’ve room to come down further. But in the meantime pay off capital with the difference and fix if things start to move

In the rest of Europe if you stop paying your mortgage the house is repossessed quickly and at low cost. This is not the case in Ireland and those that are paying cover the cost of those non performing mortgages through higher mortgage rates

I believe the 10 year rate has started to increase this year

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

I think the combination of low rates and ability to overpay by 10% of the outstanding balance each year makes Ulster a really attractive option. The overpayment flexibility is a benefit that goes under the radar but it really does go some way to combining the certainty of fixed rates with the flexibility of variable rates.

Arguments for both cases here. I went with the 2.6% 4 year but the low 2 year rate wasn't around at the time. You could always split your mortgage some fixed for 4 years some for 2.

Alternatively, if you're a safe bet for mortgage approval across banks go with BOI/EBS/PTSB. Yes it will be more expensive but they offer 2% cashback and Ulster will take you after 6 months. The higher payments for 6 months will be nothing compared to the cashback. Ulster will also contribute €1500 towards the switching costs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Q&A wrote: »
    I think the combination of low rates and ability to overpay by 10% of the outstanding balance each year makes Ulster a really attractive option.

That was my thinking alright I would plan to overpay by a few hundred per month over the 4 years I've fixed. I'm nearly sure overpayment wasn't an option with KBC 10 year or was severely restricted. Not sure about BOI.
    Alternatively, if you're a safe bet for mortgage approval across banks go with BOI/EBS/PTSB. Yes it will be more expensive but they offer 2% cashback and Ulster will take you after 6 months.

I'd never considered the option of switching so soon, potentially sounds a good idea though I'm not sure I could have dealt with the stress of it and although I havn't got keys yet I think I'm too far in to consider at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I got in the 10 year fix with KBC at 2.99% before they increased that rate - for our circumstances it was a reduction on our current fixed rate and then the added certainty. Also our break fee was 0.

Some good points made here about taking shorter period and overpaying but everyone's circumstances are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

cruizer101 wrote: »
    That was my thinking alright I would plan to overpay by a few hundred per month over the 4 years I've fixed. I'm nearly sure overpayment wasn't an option with KBC 10 year or was severely restricted. Not sure about BOI.

You can overpay up to 10% on KBC fixed rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    You can overpay up to 10% on KBC fixed rate

You can overpay 10% of the principle with Ulster whereas with others (including KBC) it's 10% of the monthly repayment amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purple Sheep

You can overpay 10% of the principle with Ulster whereas with others (including KBC) it's 10% of the monthly repayment amount.

I fixed with KBC last year and can overpay 10% of the principal - but it's over the full term of the fixed period. So, if you owe 200k and fix for 2 years you could overpay 20k over the 2 years or about 10k/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

As long as you don't want to move house for the next 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Our fixed rates are stil no where near the rest of Europe. They’ve room to come down further.

And our banks have a higher cost base/cost of funding than European banks..so there isn’t a lot
    Of room for rates to drop further.

Also the risks taken by Irish banks are higher than faced by European banks. It’s a lot harder to evict a non payer in Ireland than in other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

OP, if you really can’t decide what to do, put half of the mortgage on variable and half fixed.

As long as you don't want to move house for the next 10 years

If its a PPR non issue.

As long as you don't want to move house for the next 10 years[/qu

If its a PPR non issue.
    If your one of those fence sitters. Stay renting

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Yep , I agree, but 3% is hard found today in today’s markets so I think it’ll be very hard found in two years.
    Also I haven’t seen much evidence of no breakage fees, in my own situation with AIB I’ve 12 months left of a 36 month fixed term and they are charging me €1k+ to break

I have 36 months left of a 60month fixed term and it is costing me €29 per €100k of mortgage to break. Currently in the process of moving to PTSB

Turkish1 wrote: »
    I have 36 months left of a 60month fixed term and it is costing me €29 per €100k of mortgage to break. Currently in the process of moving to PTSB

That’s very cheap breakage free- which bank you leaving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Alternatively, if you're a safe bet for mortgage approval across banks go with BOI/EBS/PTSB. Yes it will be more expensive but they offer 2% cashback and Ulster will take you after 6 months. The higher payments for 6 months will be nothing compared to the cashback. Ulster will also contribute €1500 towards the switching costs as well.

Surely there must be something to prevent you from doing this. There would be droves of people leaving the cashback banks going to ulsterbank as soon as they pay out

Advertisement