Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation forum moderation

Options
  • 10-07-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

A Moderator told me I would be banned if I mentioned moderation on thread and to raise a complaint (here I think):
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107475803&postcount=138

The thread has been somewhat sanitized overnight and the abusive posts toward me have been partially purgued.

My question is this: Is the Moderator who works as a pilot, appears to be a union member and is in favour of strike action at Ryanair intercepting the reported posts notifiers before the other moderators on the sub-forum can see them.

I suspect that the Moderator who threatened to ban me was unaware that I had been unsuccessfully using the proper process to report posts without success.

I assume any Moderator worth their salt who receives a report about a comment that a forum member should be careful that the door doesn't hit them on the ar$e on their way out would have deleted that post and coached the Poster who made that comment on proper in-thread etiquette but that didn't happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The DR forum is for disputing cards and bans. As you have not been carded or banned, this thread does not belong in the DR forum. I will move it to the Help Desk which is the correct forum for raising forum-specific issues.

Let me clarify the Reported Post system for you, as you do not appear to fully understand it. When a post is reported, a notification is sent to ALL moderators for that forum, as well as the CMods for that area. In the case of Aviation, this means that notification goes simultaneously to the 3 mods and the 2 CMods. It is not possible for a mod to take action without the other mods being aware. In fact, mods often consult with each other on the appropriate action to take to ensure there is a unified view across the mod team.

Each forum is specific, and I cannot personally comment on the topics under discussion in A&A. The best route for you to discuss moderation is to first discuss with the mods, and failing that, with the CMods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I have been following the thread and make the following points.

Parsing your post above.

You are completely wrong on the mod being a pilot, is no longer a union member as mentioned in the post you linked and totally wrong on how mod notifications work as dudara outlined. So the subsequent notion that the mod was not aware of your reports and hiding the same, is baseless.

Your last para, with a telling attitude, likewise is baseless and the notion that a mod coached another poster is nonsense.

To the thread...

So some of your post #18 is just wrong especially the notion that the seniors are pushing this for themselves alone, which is a pattern that is evident in the thread in question where you confuse opinions and speculation with fact throughout. Your first post is mainly opinion with a little dig at this forum in your third last para and another dig at a mod for being the 'union member in residence' when you can not know this. So straight off the bat you are resorting to ad hominems playing the posters not the posts which you continue.

View Profile then responds respectfully but you again resort straight away in post #20 to more ad hominem accusing the poster of being an impartial commentator.

Again another dig in post #22 and are correctly called out by a mod in post #23. And again at #45 where you call someone who has a different view as aggressive.

It should be no surprise that folks are impartial when it comes to industrial disputes but you use this for throwing digs when most people manage to respectfully disagree and discuss accordingly. On top of that you fail to recognise your own very anti-union and anti-senior pilots bias which results in facts, opinions and speculation being confused on your part and other posters pull you up on this and you keep stubbornly digging yourself into a hole as a result creating conflict and derailing the discussion.

Post #111 is a mess; #118 is pure conjecture; #121 ad hominem accusing of denial; #123 makes poor sense; #126 more thinly-veiled ad hominem.

I would not be surprised if there is more but that is enough to establish a pattern without spending time nit-picking every minutae.

Then you use the Reported Post function 10 times, mainly as retaliation at first with most of the points applying equally or worse to your own behaviour. The last few were fine as posters who were fed up with you went over the line and action was taken.

So it isn't the mods or posters who have put you in this situation but you yourself with so many things you accuse others of. If anything the mods who have not sanctioned you have been lenient and tried to give guidance in a few on threads notes. It is your argumentative style which is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

It seems that you don't want to discuss moderation on the Aviation forum. You are not comfortable to discuss this. Therefore you swing this around and try to depict me as unreasonable and a malcontent. You took time to construct that post to try to undermine my position.
    Why is this? Is it because you have a moderator who works in aviation. another moderator who as a pilot union activist and another who has shown themselves to be a sympathizer. Boards believes itself to be fair and impartial and somehow vested interests have seized control of a sub-forum.
    This is an issue which should not be controlled by biased moderators in the Aviation subforum. Any discussion in the Aviation forum will be directed toward the interests of the Union activists, the interests of the employer or God forbid, the travelling public will not get a fair hearing.

My first contribution to that thread is 100% correct; Insiders are trying to acquire preferential terms and conditions at the expense of more junior staff. The post stands on it's merits and you should quote it otherwise you are just hoping that people are too lazy to read it and take for granted that your interpretation is accurate.
    You have spent much time crafting that personal attack on my credibility but really there is no substance to it.

You mention I use the report button and yes I did repeatedly because that is the guidance given and it was not responded to in any way for many hours while moderators were present and contributing on thread but then overnight another moderator came along and tidied stuff up which included a number of ad hominem attacks on me made earlier in the day which simply had to be purged to give a misimpression of even-handedness.

Boards.ie have lost control of this sub-forum.
    Rather than attacking me, Boards should look to itself and determine whether there should be balance in the moderation teams.

I expect your contribution to be not about me but about the moderators.
    One of the three moderators has been especially devious in how they direct discussion on that forum and should be suspended immediately.
    If you had put that much effort in to researching that Mod as you put in to crafting the disparaging comments about me you would have done Boards.ie some service.

tricky D, I've seen you in operation over the years. I don't expect you to do anything about addressing the issues in boards.ie buy you have played your part in its decline.

Do you want to look at the Mods or do you want to sweep it all under the carpet.

For the record I was delayed many hours waiting for a Ryanair flight on Thursday because of this industrial action which is being carried out to get insiders the best terms and conditions at the expense of co-works so at the moment I don't feel like being polite to their enablers.
    Today I watched poor Ryanair flight attendants mop up vomit and they are being completely ignored while sociopathic pilots try to get the best terms to cap off their market leading pay at the expense of the contractor pilots who do the greater part of the work.

As long as Boards.ie allow this forum to be controlled by vested interests boards.ie are accomplices.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s clear that you have no interest in discussing this topic rationally. Someone who is looking for conspiracy theories will only see conspiracy theories.

Topic closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement