Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Attic Conversion

Options
  • 10-07-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm looking to make a small room in my attic, I already have electricity and flooring done in the attic and have someone installing a velux window.

What I'm looking for is some advice on putting up plasterboard.

As it stands the House roof is not insulated just the standard attic floor insulation. I'm looking to use the space as a small home office and wondering if I used insulated plasterboard on the rafters directly would that be okay?

Its by no means going to be a complete room or anything but its more for look and reflecting the light better I'd like to put the plasterboard on.

Any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is velux to front or back?
    Will this be a three storey house then?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Velux is to the back, its not going to be a 3 storey no.
    At present its just for storage, I'm looking to do something cheap to make the room a little brighter really is all. Plenty of room for a desk though up there so a home office be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You need to install RSJ if you want to change from an attic to a room

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Before you do anything else, you need to sort out the entrance to it esp. with a velux installed

( because it will turn the whole place into a giant chimney / furnace really quickly )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »

Thanks a million of that will check it out.
    I'll add some pictures when I get a chance and maybe try explain better what exactly I'm looking to do but I'll read that and see if it explains a bit more to me.

I should probably get an engineer in for some advice at least anyway :)

I should add that I'm not looking to make it an actual room as such, like the water tank and all will still be there its more tidying up part of it just so I can have a desk, the house is small and I'm just trying to make the most of the space.

But as I said I'll speak with a professional first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You need to install RSJ if you want to change from an attic to a room

Can you explain why

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wayne Leone

To take the weight of furniture and humans. You would hang new floor joists from the RSJ's. The upstairs ceiling joists may not designed for that kind of weight/traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

To take the weight of furniture and humans. You would hang new floor joists from the RSJ's. The upstairs ceiling joists may not designed for that kind of weight/traffic.

I was hoping the poster who said you need an rsj for an attic conversion would reply, as their post implied that an rsj is used in every attic conversion which is not the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Hi @leduigs have you made much progress on this? I'm in the same boat as yourself, attic is a bit of a mess and I'm hoping to plaster it and put in a velux and make it an office / storage space. Don't want to make a bedroom out of it just something where I could put a desk and work in for a few hours now and again. Will be watching your progress so feel free to keep us posted :)

Just to update I've decided to leave it and call an Engineer in and maybe go with a full conversion if its not ridiculous.
    Can anyone recommend a good Engineer that would help with the Truss roof alternatives?

Advertisement