Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus

• 10-07-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Probably worthy of a thread of its own.

All done and dusted per numerous reliable sources.

€105m transfer fee, with a €30m annual salary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

not shocked he left madrid but more shocked he hasnt ended up in paris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Great deal for RM.

Made back the transfer fee on a 33 year old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Madrid have robbed Juve.

Some craic if Napoli win Serie A next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Now the question is who are Real going to go after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Does he not have to go back to United after his loan to Madrid? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow, fair play to Juve for that.

Not sure why Ronaldo would want to move there but *shrug*

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If he leads them to the CL title he will be an actual god

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Surely Madrid are gonna smash all logic and reason and buy Mbappé for more money than a small countries GDP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

wawaman wrote: »

Yup.

Mbappe or Neymar?

I'm sure either one of those two would be happy to get away from the other.
    A new report in the Spanish press on Tuesday has suggested that Neymar and Kylian Mbappé are “barely on speaking terms” and that the father of the French superstar has been “shocked” by the Brazilian’s treatment of his son.

Well-sourced journalist Diego Torres, who writes for El Pais, has claimed that the world’s most expensive player has been bullying the teenager at times last season and refused to pass to his strike partner during one game.

The piece goes on to insist that the South American duo have reduced the youngster’s talent down to “just being very fast”.

Torres’ story reveals that Neymar and Mbappé barely speak to each other off the pitch, and at one point last term had to be “separated by team-mates” after a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It could be a great fit for him with how dominant Juve tend to be in Italy, but more importantly the slightly slower pace of the league as he turns 34 next year.

Huge coup for Serie A in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The big worry for me would be how he’s going to fit in. He’s the undisputable top dog at Madrid, the lad calling all the shots and he’s earned that status over the years. It's the same at Portugal.

Will he be able to go into a brand new dressing room and expect the same level of deference and respect. What happens when the likes of Dybala and Higuain aren’t ready or willing to play second fiddle to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

In all seriousness I think both teams are getting a good deal. The way Ronaldo looks after himself he could definitely play at the highest level for a few more years. The Serie A not being as fast paced should suit him as he gets older as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fort Juventus it's a no brainer, the undisputed No 1 side of Italy and more or less guaranteed to remain there now for another few years. For Ronaldo it's not an obvious thing, just another top team in Europe no real suggestion of ambition or risk on his part.

The knock on is what's really interesting, it's not a Neymar type situation but none the less intriguing - you'd have to fancy Hazard and recalling James (if that's possible they were crazy to do that deal with Bayern) would be top of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

hefferboi wrote: »
    Madrid have robbed Juve.

Sure Juve robbed us with Pogba tf... swings and roundabouts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Paully D wrote: »
    Yup.

Mbappe or Neymar?

I'm sure either one of those two would be happy to get away from the other.

Both just recently bought though and would command something crazy like 200m

Hazard more gettable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wow, fair play to Juve for that.

Not sure why Ronaldo would want to move there but *shrug*

What are their tax laws like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The big worry for me would be how he’s going to fit in. He’s the undisputable top dog at Madrid, the lad calling all the shots and he’s earned that status over the years. It's the same at Portugal.

Will he be able to go into a brand new dressing room and expect the same level of deference and respect. What happens when the likes of Dybala and Higuain aren’t ready or willing to play second fiddle to him?

They'll be told to get in line and be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Great deal for RM.

Made back the transfer fee on a 33 year old!!

From a business point of view I agree, but on the flip side they've just sold the world's best goal scorer. No matter who comes in they won't do his numbers. Only way is down now and their fans aren't exactly known for their patience.

It will be very interesting to see what transfers Real go for now, they have to have something lined up. Mbappe would be my guess although I hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Confirmed now WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

J. Marston wrote: »
    What are their tax laws like?

50% tax on high earners.. that’s why the figure is 30m nett

• Advertisement

He and Dybala could certainly be a part of the same XI as he can drop deeper and/or play right side but Higuain would be more of a problem, he is a traditional centre forward so occupies the space that Ronaldo now plays in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

But I though he would only leave Real to go home lol.

Smart move by Ronaldo though. He'll win some more titles in a different country & continue to score goals at Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Surely this cements the greatest transfer of all time.

Make 20 odd million off him along with 450 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

wawaman wrote: »

They'll get Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

105 million pound Sterling. Incredible money for a 33 year old, then again....

He is cementing his claim for the GOAT tbh, done it in England, Spain and now going to do it in Italy. Traditionally the big 3 of European leagues.

If he were to lead Juventus to the champions league at his age it would be the ultimate testament to his ability.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Messi aside, there's nobody in the world could legitimately have a gripe with Having to accommodate Ronaldo. He's the ultimate professional and arguably the GOAT. Any winner would be delighted to see Ronaldo signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

105 million pound Sterling. Incredible money for a 33 year old, then again....

He is cementing his claim for the GOAT tbh, done it in England, Spain and now going to do it in Italy. Traditionally the big 3 of European leagues.

If he were to lead Juventus to the champions league at his age it would be the ultimate testament to his ability.

Real will now have to pay huge money for someone like Neymar,Mbappe etc.

Not so sure it is that great of a deal for them unless Ronaldo declines badly in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wonder if the acclaim he got from juve fans after his overhead kick had any impact on his decision to move there.

• Advertisement

Wonder where this leaves Bale. Either part of a clear-out and/or a makeweight for Mbappe or Neymar or absolutely cemented as a first-teamer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

To make profit on a guy you bought for a world record fee, almost a decade ago is pretty mental, inflation and the individual at hand aside.

451 goals in 438 games absolute bonkers numbers.

MD1990 wrote: »

Not so sure it is that great of a deal for them unless Ronaldo declines badly in the next few years.

I didn't say it was great for Madrid did I? I think you can't argue with the deal from their point of view though tbf. A 33 year old on that much money per year to get that fee is incredible.

They would have to pay huge money regardless, have never baulked at that.

Good deal for all of them even allowing the huge transfer fee, only one taking a gamble really is Juventus. They need him to produce at a high level for the next 3 or so years to make it worthwhile.

I wouldn't bet against him doing it obviously but it is a gamble for sure.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I could see him playing another five years and scoring another 150 goals so I think this will prove a good deal for Juve. Obviously a great deal for Madrid given the fee.

For Ronaldo, it's an excellent move that will extend his legacy as the greatest footballer to ever walk the earth. He's choosing to move to a contender in the CL while taking account of his declining physical ability via the slower week to week pace of Seria A. He could have gone to MLS, China, Qatar for pay days or to the uncertainty of Paris. Instead he's chosen a huge club in the next tier down from Real / Barca that have high expectations. Real Madrid don't allow players to grow old, so he's going at the right time with a new manager coming in.

Very interested to see who Real spend on to fill the void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MD1990 wrote: »

ahh come on they bought him for £80M at 24 and selling him for £105M as he turns 34, that is the best kind of business a club can do

Wonder how long it'll be before Salah to Madrid BS starts re-appearing in the low grade media.

• Advertisement

Four year contract is the word. Think it has to be Mbappe or Neymar in to replace him, don't think they'll spend the amount of money it would cost for Salah after just one great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wonder how long it'll be before Salah to Madrid BS starts re-appearing in the low grade media.

Duncan Castles will start it soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I wonder if the acclaim he got from juve fans after his overhead kick had any impact on his decision to move there.

I'd say it was more like this was always his plan. Italy is known to be a slower, more technical league and we've seen players thrive there in their later careers before. I'd say Ronaldo always planned to go there after Real. USA most likely after that.

Juve being the only club in Italy who could work the deal now meant it was always them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The fee they paid for him 10 years ago isn't really relevant today though is it. It was a world record transfer at the time, he's been sold on for half the recent record. I'm not saying they haven't done well, just the talk of turning a profit on him is a bit disingenuous.

If the replacement is to be Neymar or Mbappe then it'd be Mbappe for me.

Hazard is surely right up there on their shopping list. They have good players there already but I can't see them not going balls out for someone.

Can't see PSG being open to selling Mbappe,
    french future global superstar already at top french club, Neymar maybe but it would really have to come from him finding a way to push through the move.

Salah? Very doutful after signing a new deal which should secure him for another season at least....

Not too many names jump out right now, could see dybala move to Madrid maybe but not an obvious one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Maybe Bale will get a crack at being the main man now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He and Dybala could certainly be a part of the same XI as he can drop deeper and/or play right side but Higuain would be more of a problem, he is a traditional centre forward so occupies the space that Ronaldo now plays in.

Juve fans would disagree. Most think Higuain would actually make more space, and CR still doesn't play as a true CF he likes to drift in wide, even when Madrid played 4-4-2, his starting position was never as central as Benzema.

They will have to play some form of 4-2-3-1, because Dybala can only play one position and that is behind the striker, he's no use on the wings or up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

hefferboi wrote: »
    Madrid have robbed Juve.

I don't think any Juve fan would agree with that. Time will tell, but not may 33 year olds are in Ronaldos condition, he could easily play at the top for another 3 or 4 years.

Hazard is surely right up there on their shopping list. They have good players there already but I can't see them not going balls out for someone.

Can't see PSG being open to selling Mbappe,
    french future global superstar already at top french club, Neymar maybe but it would really have to come from him finding a way to push through the move.

Salah? Very doutful after signing a new deal which should secure him for another season at least....

Not too many names jump out right now, could see dybala move to Madrid maybe but not an obvious one.

Hazard makes perfect sense but Mbappe does too especially seeing as Benzema looks like he could be finished at the club.

PSG might be forced to sell Mbappe due to FFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

Fort Juventus it's a no brainer, the undisputed No 1 side of Italy and more or less guaranteed to remain there now for another few years.

Wouldn't call it a no brainer myself. As you say they're undisputed top dog in Italy; they don't need to do this.

Between wages and transfer fee they're spending 10% of their current turnover on one player who will be under contract until he's 37. If time finally does start to catch up with him, they could have a very costly mistake on their hands. It's a gamble.

Hasn't Juve's share price jumped to an all time high in the last week? Coupled with sponsors and things like shirts and tickets chipping in a little I'd say Juve will be fine.

Hazard makes perfect sense but Mbappe does too especially seeing as Benzema looks like he could be finished at the club.

PSG might be forced to sell Mbappe due to FFP.

Would selling Neymar not achieve the same result?

Or even shifting cavani, pastore gone, di Maria maybe?

I'm not saying it can't happen obviously but I'd be very surprised if it is Mbappe out the door. PSG won't be bullied by anybody in the transfer market like.

Without Neymar I'd say he would flourish even more at club level. He would certainly see more of the ball, I swear it was like Neymar decided to stop passing to him when he realized he was gonna be his competition for the big awards in the coming years!1

Wouldn't call it a no brainer myself. As you say they're undisputed top dog in Italy; they don't need to do this.

Between wages and transfer fee they're spending 10% of their current turnover on one player who will be under contract until he's 37. If time finally does start to catch up with him, they could have a very costly mistake on their hands. It's a gamble.

Yeah but now they have Ronaldo as well - it's marketing as much as anything. Juventus are big but now they'll be bigger globally.

Would selling Neymar not achieve the same result?

Or even shifting cavani, pastore gone, di Maria maybe?

I'm not saying it can't happen obviously but I'd be very surprised if it is Mbappe out the door. PSG won't be bullied by anybody in the transfer market like.

Without Neymar I'd say he would flourish even more at club level. He would certainly see more of the ball, I swear it was like Neymar decided to stop passing to him when he realized he was gonna be his competition for the big awards in the coming years!1

They'd be able to sell Mbappe off in a profit considering the World Cup effect as well but Neymar's price has likely tumbled.

I'd say there's definitely something behind the supposed rift between Neymar and Mbappe. I think he'd thrive at Madrid knowing he'll get his central slot with Bale on the right and Hazard/another winger on the left. If Neymar leaves he still has to compete with Cavani for the middle slot and Cavani played out of his skin last season which was why Mbappe was on the right so much.

Interesting to see what Madrid are thinking now though. Lost their manager and their star player since they won the CL, stuff of nightmares in a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You're looking at 250m for any of Neymar Mbappe or Salah to even have a hope. Even then, I'd have my doubts PSG or Liverpool would even consider it. There's no value in it for them, because they'll get fleeced on the next transfer, whoever it is, and unless it's for Messi or something, they're not going to be confident that the player will be anything like as good.
    The only thing I can imagine is if there's some sort of FFP pressure on PSG relating to the Mbappe deal.

Madrid are in a bit of a funny position with Lopetegui in and a bunch of players who've had mixed impact, game time, and levels of happiness about their position in the side - Isco, Bale, Kovacic to name a few. They might've been on the way out, and might complicate things further in terms of how much they can change at once.

They're hardly going to sell Bale, Benzema and another midfielder or forward as well.

They've also got quite a few key players who are getting on a bit - Modric and Ramos probably the two most pressing.
    Not only do they need a big window this year, but probably next year as well.

Grit and big goalscorers have gotten them through a series of CL wins, but they've really failed to perform in the league in the past 10 years, winning 2 titles to Barca's 7. It's difficult to imagine what they can do to redress that while Messi is still winning golden shoes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement