Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It will sky rocket Juventus globally and add huge interest to Serie A next season, there is no doubt La Liga is a poorer league without him. Interesting to see who Madrid bring in next.

Fair dues to the bloke, he want's a new challenge to feed his winning mentality. He's getting paid what he want's but he could probably just as easy go out to China and play for a billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ah you could see though it was a team coming to the end of it's cycle. A break had to be made at some point and I think they have done well enough out if it.

Now they have a clean slate so to speak to build again. There is some wuality on that squad already but knowing Madrid they will want that star name or two this year for sure now.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Juventus are absolute idiots. Dunno what they're thinking.

From Ronaldo's point of view, a great move, loads of money and no better place for stat padding...by far and away the top team in Italy where he'll be playing at a slower pace for tap ins. On top of that, this is simply an attempt to go down in history ahead of Messi. Win the CL and league at Juve, where people will then say he "done it" playing in all of the "big 3" league's, whereas Messi only done it at 1 team. Won't matter, the general consensus will always be in Messi's favour

From Ronaldo's point of view, a great move, loads of money and no better place for stat padding...by far and away the top team in Italy where he'll be playing at a slower pace for tap ins. On top of that, this is simply a move to try and go down in history ahead of Messi. Win the CL and league at Juve, where people will then say he "done it" playing in all of the "big 3" league's, whereas Messi only done it at 1 team

If there is one thing Juventus aren't when it comes to transfers its idiots.

Ronaldo aint like other 33 years old. I think its fantastic business all around for all parties involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You do realise they just signed Ronaldo? Same guy who just scored 15 goals in the Champions League?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Good move for Ronaldo. Great deal for Madrid and I don’t have to hear about him coming back to United every transfer window... for at least 2 transfer windows anyway.

Cienciano wrote: »
    You do realise they just signed Ronaldo? Same guy who just scored 15 goals in the Champions League?

Tap ins though. That overhead tap in was my favourite of his 15 tap ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Football team sign world best footballer. Idiots!

You could argue he's overpriced, but that's likely offset to a degree by the increase in Juve's marketing value etc. Irrespective, he's the best player in the world, or there abouts. Signing the best player in the world is never a bad signing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Football team sign world best footballer. Idiots!

You could argue he's overpriced, but that's likely offset to a degree by the increase in Juve's marketing value etc. Irrespective, he's the best player in the world, or there abouts. Signing the best player in the world is never a bad signing

Please, he wasn't even the best player at Real over the last 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

From Ronaldo's point of view, a great move, loads of money and no better place for stat padding...by far and away the top team in Italy where he'll be playing at a slower pace for tap ins. On top of that, this is simply an attempt to go down in history ahead of Messi. Win the CL and league at Juve, where people will then say he "done it" playing in all of the "big 3" league's, whereas Messi only done it at 1 team. Won't matter, the general consensus will always be in Messi's favour

Probably the same reason why Messi never left Barcelona.

Tap ins though. That overhead tap in was my favourite of his 15 tap ins.

Couldn't do it in the big games.

Lets see, top scorer last year with 15.
    Top scorer the season before with 12
    Top scorer the season before that with 16
    Only joint top before that with 10.
    Top scorer the season before that with 17
    Top scorer the season before that with 12.

Terrible signing for a team who want to win the Champions league

He's getting very cynical.

First he inspires Portugal to a Euro success to be able to say, unlike Messi, he did it in a major tournament at international level.

Then joining Juve in an effort to further pad out the stats with baubles like the Champions League, and again put distance between his achievements and those of Messi.

He's bad to the bone...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dybala to Liverpool now and I'll be real happy!

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

I suppose he got bored of winning the CL hence his move to Juve!

In all seriousness it's a huge coup for Serie A, will garner huge interest in the upcoming season. As an Interista it makes closing that gap to Juve a lot more difficult. Looking forward to the first Derby d'Italia already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Imagine being a Juve fan right now. There are star signings, galactico signings and there is a Ronaldo signing.

Don't know what Ronaldos long term intentions are. Maybe he wants to win the big 5 European leagues. He still has a long time left in him. He is 33 and still footballs most prime athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Imagine being a Juve fan right now. There are star signings, galactico signings and there is a Ronaldo signing.

Don't know what Ronaldos long term intentions are. Maybe he wants to win the big 5 European leagues. He still has a long time left in him. He is 33 and still footballs most prime athlete.

He could probably play in the MLS into his 50s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

hefferboi wrote: »
    Madrid have robbed Juve.

Some craic if Napoli win Serie A next year.

I think that the Agnelli family should do a DNA test on Andrea because that doesn't look like a deal Umberto would have done in his heyday.
    Sure they will sell loads of shirts, but will that pay for the transfer and his salary over 4 odd years ?

Yes C Ronaldo is still at top, but even taking into account his dedication and fitness he is still getting old and fitting him in to a team is another thing after his years as the dominant one at Real.

It is a great move for him because he can easily see another 4 years out in Italy and especially at the likes of Juve.
    Hell he might lower the average age of the squad. :D
    Also they definitely will be challenging for honours so it will cement his place in history as well.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Best player since Sliced Bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Please, he wasn't even the best player at Real over the last 18 months.

This is the type of thing people say when they want to come across as smarter than the average fan, with an outlier of an opinion that they think will make others question their own opinion.

Things like "Yeah Ronaldo is good and gets the goals, but Modric really makes that team tick, and Ramos is the real heart of that team, or Isco is the real creative force."

But more often than not, the simplest answer is the correct one. Ronaldo is/was Madrid's best player for the last X number of years. It's that simple. That's not downplaying any other player's talent or contribution - but Madrid are not winning 4 out of 5 Champions Leagues without Ronaldo. He was their best player, comfortably.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

https://twitter.com/thcoast/status/1016725633198682112?s=19

€100m paid in two installments plus €12m in fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Has anyone won the CL with 3 different clubs?

JaMarcus wrote: »
    This is the type of thing people say when they want to come across as smarter than the average fan, with an outlier of an opinion that they think will make others question their own opinion.

Things like "Yeah Ronaldo is good and gets the goals, but Modric really makes that team tick, and Ramos is the real heart of that team, or Isco is the real creative force."

But more often than not, the simplest answer is the correct one. Ronaldo is/was Madrid's best player for the last X number of years. It's that simple. That's not downplaying any other player's talent or contribution - but Madrid are not winning 4 out of 5 Champions Leagues without Ronaldo. He was their best player, comfortably.

It's not an outlier of an opinion in Madrid to think Modric has been more influential than Ronaldo over the last while. A club like Real can always replace goal scorers. Good luck replacing what Modric brings to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

https://twitter.com/thcoast/status/1016725633198682112?s=19

€100m paid in two installments plus €12m in fees
    Did they buy him through Ticket master?

doc_17 wrote: »

Seedorf. That's one of the oldest soccer pub quiz questions around! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Seedorf

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2044392.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Seedorf.

EDIT: Beaten to it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Great news for Gareth Bale. If he stays fit he can be the man. He's 3rd behind Messi an Ronaldo for me but he just can't stay fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Nah lad Casemiro and Carvajal have always been better and more important than Ronaldo :pac:

You are correct though, there was one year where Di Maria was probably Madrid's best player but even so it was up for debate. Ronaldo was consistently either the best player in the whole league or else second to Messi for the entire bones of a decade he was there, give or take a year when Suarez was probably #1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You can certainly argue in any given season that he wasn't the most important player, but he was by far the most important over the full stretch of his time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I wonder if the acclaim he got from juve fans after his overhead kick had any impact on his decision to move there.
    I was at that match. In a way, I made this move happen :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wasn't expecting this to be concluded so swiftly.

Serie A thread should be a lot busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Brings up Juve's profile massively worldwide. Probably has 2 or 3 years in him if he looks after himself & unlike their last big signing won't turn up fat as a snail when he returns from his holiday.
    Juve are one of the best ran clubs in Europe so I expect them to make the most of this on & off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That one move will probably free up a lot of space and money now for other transfers to start.

Madrid will now start their serious moves for players, so that will take at least one big player away from a club, maybe 2. Say they move for Hazard and/or Mbappe, imagine that front line with Bale as well?

And you still have Modric and Isco behind.

But Madrids big issue now will be replacing all Ronnie's goals. I guess they will just have to spread them out across the frontline more. Assuming Benzema is gone too.

Great move for Juve I think. Higuain is more or less gone for huge money, and a lot of that will cover the Ron fee. Then they have the marketing income from him. Its a no-brainer for Juve and a good deal, despite people saying "he's nearly 34". He might be the difference in the CL for them, where Higuain always failed to deliver in the later games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought this was a joke, really expected him to end up in US to end his career

Fair play to him and Juv

I think Hazard will be RM bound now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought this was a joke, really expected him to end up in US to end his career

Fair play to him and Juv

I think Hazard will be RM bound now

who says this is the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He will do 34-36 at Juve, then off to LA to play another couple of years.
    Then a film career!

Serie A thread should be a lot busier.

I am for one in shock. We were all ready ten years behind them, now it will be crazy.

NIMAN wrote: »
    He will do 34-36 at Juve, then off to LA to play another couple of years.
    Then a film career!

Or WWE

Or WWE

To fight McGregor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Seedorf. That's one of the oldest soccer pub quiz questions around! :pac:

Aha, but has anyone ever won WPOTY/Ballon D'Or in three different countries?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Expect Sky to go after Serie A rights now with Ronaldo there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

DM_7 wrote: »
    Expect Sky to go after Serie A rights now with Ronaldo there?

Hope not, the Coppa Italia games are terrible on there. All they do is complain & know about as much as my dog about what they're commentating.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Aha, but has anyone ever won WPOTY/Ballon D'Or in three different countries?

Closest has been the original Ronaldo who won the FIFA World Player of the Year 3 times with 3 different clubs, albeit Barcelona and Madrid are both Spanish.

He finished 2nd in the Balon Dor the year he was with Barca.

It'd be a heck of an achievement. Technically, he'll be a Juventus player when this year's winner is announced :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Good point on this year's award :D . Funny enough, I initially had it as clubs, but remembered Ronaldo just before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Or WWE

CR will get Reigns over :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Jes that Juve team will be frightening now. If they got in a top keeper they could arguably have the best squad in Europe?

Szczęsny

DE Sciglio/Cancelo Benatia/Barzagli. Howdes/Chellini Sandro

Can/Khedira Pjanic/Marchisio Bentacur/Matuidi

Dybala/Currdrado Douglas Costa/Mandzukic

Ronaldo/Higuin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Harry Kane must be the target I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Iang87 wrote:
    Surely this cements the greatest transfer of all time.

If he bangs in 40+ goals for the next three years then he was worth every penny.

justshane wrote: »
    Jes that Juve team will be frightening now. If they got in a top keeper they could arguably have the best squad in Europe?

Szczęsny

DE Sciglio/Cancelo Benatia/Barzagli. Howdes/Chellini Sandro

Can/Khedira Pjanic/Marchisio Bentacur/Matuidi

Dybala/Currdrado Douglas Costa/Mandzukic

Ronaldo/Higuin

You would have to think there will be a few of those on the move now. Possibly some of the bigger names.

He'll overtake his La Liga title haul in no time, that's for sure. He's only won 2 league titles in Spain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement