Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

You would have to think there will be a few of those on the move now. Possibly some of the bigger names.

I could see Higuin moving on but I think the other big names, the likes of Sandro, Douglas Costa and Dybala will stay. I reckon they want a real crack at European domination after been so close and just below the big two over the past five years. It would be pointless to sign Ronaldo and let Dybala go for instance if that is their goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Juve are in negotiations to sell Higuain and Rugani, and this will bring in maybe 75% of the Ronaldo fee, so not a bad deal for them if they get rid of those 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Buffon left at the wrong time.

Champions League to Juventus next season maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He'll overtake his La Liga title haul in no time, that's for sure. He's only won 2 league titles in Spain.

You need to get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

justshane wrote: »
    Jes that Juve team will be frightening now. If they got in a top keeper they could arguably have the best squad in Europe?

Szczęsny

DE Sciglio/Cancelo Benatia/Barzagli. Howdes/Chellini Sandro

Can/Khedira Pjanic/Marchisio Bentacur/Matuidi

Dybala/Currdrado Douglas Costa/Mandzukic

Ronaldo/Higuin

Caldara is missing.

He is a very good CB. They will sell Rugani now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

MD1990 wrote: »
    Caldara is missing.

He is a very good CB. They will sell Rugani now.

I left a few good players out as was just trying to do two to a postion but yes he had a good season and it'll be interesting if he goes on loan again this season or not(tons of goals for a defender).

The main player who I left out that I think can make a big impact on the side is Bernardeschi. Ps Ignore my attempt at spelling his name.

Perrin also could be a candidate as number 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Paully D wrote: »
    Yup.

Mbappe or Neymar?

I'm sure either one of those two would be happy to get away from the other.

Mbappe every single second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year, decade, century, millenia of all time

Neymar is poison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

justshane wrote: »
    I left a few good players out as was just trying to do two to a postion but yes he had a good season and it'll be interesting if he goes on loan again this season or not(tons of goals for a defender).

The main player who I left out that I think can make a big impact on the side is Bernardeschi. Ps Ignore my attempt at spelling his name.

Perrin also could be a candidate as number 1?

Höwedes has gone back to Germany as I think they turned down the chance to sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm actually surprised someone on a suspended jail sentence would be allowed emigrate to another EU country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

lawred2 wrote: »
    Mbappe every single second, minute, hour, day, week, month, year, decade, century, millenia of all time

Neymar is poison

With this bullying thing out now, neymars stock gets lower every day. The viral videos mocking him are still going around.
    I don't see how any of the big teams would want him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Cienciano wrote: »
    With this bullying thing out now, neymars stock gets lower every day. The viral videos mocking him are still going around.
    I don't see how any of the big teams would want him.

1 simple reason MONEY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why would a big team want Neymar?

Just cause he's one of the best players on the planet I suppose!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Why would a big team want Neymar?

Just cause he's one of the best players on the planet I suppose!

Not on the basis of the last 12 months he's not. Not even close.

He's a poisonous influence at a football club. Wants to be number 1 to the detriment of everyone around him. Ran away from Barcelona because he didn't like sharing the limelight with Messi.. disruptive at PSG where he has issues with both Cavani and MBappe..

And he's now an international joke whose antics are being mimmicked for cheap laughs around the world.

I'm not sure he's the marketable entity that he was a year ago.

Why would you spend hundreds of millions for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not on the basis of the last 12 months he's not. Not even close.

He's a poisonous influence at a football club. Wants to be number 1 to the detriment of everyone around him. Ran away from Barcelona because he didn't like sharing the limelight with Messi.. disruptive at PSG where he has issues with both Cavani and MBappe..

And he's now an international joke whose antics are being mimmicked for cheap laughs around the world.

I'm not sure he's the marketable entity that he was a year ago.

Why would you spend hundreds of millions for that?

This is so gobsmackingly wrong I don't know where to begin. Sounds like you didn't watch either of them in Ligue 1. Neymar was comfortably ahead of Mbappe in every department, despite missing the last few months of the season with injury. Have to laugh as well at "running away from Barcelona" - having the ambition to win the Ballon d'Or is bad? Why? He gave amazing performances to Barca.

Just recently passed Romario on his country's all-time scorer list, and will surely go on to break Pele's record given his age.

Frankly to say Neymar is not one of the very best players on the planet is like saying LeBron James is not one of the best basketball players in the world. It's laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Yeah for all the crap he's getting this World Cup, and deservedly so, he had put up phenomenal numbers for the season. Mbappe struggled in comparison to Neymar and Cavani who were both immense week in week out.

This is so gobsmackingly wrong I don't know where to begin. Sounds like you didn't watch either of them in Ligue 1. Neymar was comfortably ahead of Mbappe in every department, despite missing the last few months of the season with injury. Have to laugh as well at "running away from Barcelona" - having the ambition to win the Ballon d'Or is bad? Why? He gave amazing performances to Barca.

Just recently passed Romario on his country's all-time scorer list, and will surely go on to break Pele's record given his age.

Frankly to say Neymar is not one of the very best players on the planet is like saying LeBron James is not one of the best basketball players in the world. It's laughable.

Pffft

Fail to see how going to PSG shows ambition to win the Balon D'Or... Having that it's a typical thing for Neymar to be motivated by all the same given that it's a personal accolade.

It does however show ambition to make money alright and fair play to him.. he's pretty good at that.

Made plenty of money in his move to Barca, and while at Barca.

He moved to get out of Leo's shadow and to be the main man making PSG a European powerhouse, he has not done that yet but he has time. That is ambition, and to think players who reach the top of their game are not motivated by personal accolades is just wrong imo.

They want to be the best and they want to be recognised as the best and all the awards that go along with it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I dont think it did mbappe any favours having his mother complaining he was being bullied either,if he is that sensitive he must be a nigjtmare to manage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont think it did mbappe any favours having his mother complaining he was being bullied either,if he is that sensitive he must be a nigjtmare to manage

Players parents always do stupid things like that, don't think it'll reflect on him at all.

He's clearly just gotten on with it, since this is the first we've heard of it, so doesn't seem like there was any issue managing him at all. And it's worth remembering he's literally still a child.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And it's worth remembering he's literally still a child.

In the sense that he has a mother.

If you're referring to his age, he is not literally still a child...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Unions at Fiat have called a 3 day strike due to the signing.

The Unions and Fiat workers don't find it acceptable that hundreds of millions of euros are being spent on one footballer when Fiat workers have been made to struggle over the years by Fiat management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The Unions and Fiat workers don't find it acceptable that hundreds of millions of euros are being spent on one footballer when Fiat workers have been made to struggle over the years by Fiat management.

*Fiat workers to go on strike - because Juventus signed Cristiano Ronaldo http://jrnl.ie/4124977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Players parents always do stupid things like that, don't think it'll reflect on him at all.

He's clearly just gotten on with it, since this is the first we've heard of it, so doesn't seem like there was any issue managing him at all. And it's worth remembering he's literally still a child.

That's the problem with a lot of them, they're still literally children.

A minor Union is going on strike, the main union isn't. Sure fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

martyos121 wrote: »
    My god that is cringe.

What's cringe? It just shows he has scored more goals than the entire juventes team in Europe. Amazing stat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What's cringe? It just shows he has scored more goals than the entire juventes team in Europe. Amazing stat

“Juventus have transferred to Cristiano FC”

It’s utter cringe.

martyos121 wrote: »
    “Juventus have transferred to Cristiano FC”

It’s utter cringe.

Ah ok. I honestly didn't even see that line.

Ronaldo has brought pleasure to millions around the world.

Fiat workers have inflicted the Fiat on millions around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lots of people saying the slower pace of Serie A will suit him.

Do any of you saying that regularly watch the league?

Lots of people saying the slower pace of Serie A will suit him.

Do any of you saying that regularly watch the league?

I think you will all ready know that answer :D

Not a regular watcher of Serie A, but see the odd big game.

I hate it when I hear work colleagues say about Serie A being slow or defensive, despite them never ever seeing a game! Any clashes between the big teams in Italy are more entertaining than their EPL equivalents from what I've seen in recent years.

They just reiterate the nonsense they hear or read about on the net. Football followers can be stupid at times.

The same guys are experts on their clubs potential new signing, "your man's some player, tricky, fast, hard working", despite never having seen him play in whatever foreign league he's playing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Because the likes of Dybala, Mertens, Insigne are all slow players :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Suggesting the league is lower pace is based off an old stereotype for sure. But is it incorrect to assert that players demonstrate greater longevity in Seria A? The likes of Totti contributing into his late thirties, Zanetti and the core of that great Milan side playing forever. If that’s a valid perception, why is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

How old was Sheringham when he played for Man U?
    And besides Sheringham never had any pace...yet his football brain was miles faster than younger players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Suggesting the league is lower pace is based off an old stereotype for sure. But is it incorrect to assert that players demonstrate greater longevity in Seria A? The likes of Totti contributing into his late thirties, Zanetti and the core of that great Milan side playing forever. If that’s a valid perception, why is it?

I'm not sure as to why it is, but those same players didn't just do it in "slow Italy" at that age - Zanetti won the CL at 36, Maldini at 38 (along with all the other ancient defenders!), Totti contributed in that competition until the end...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Whatever about the pace of the league they will kick fûck out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

This article talks about the AC Milan medical center back in the day (2009). It's about Beckham's time there. Seems they were miles ahead of their time back then and that helped a few of the older lads play on for a while longer.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/beckhams-career-blooming-with-a-little-help-from-milan-fitness-lab-26542573.html

It's seems to be a league remembered for it's older players playing on well into their 30's probably due to the likes of Maldini, Zenatti, Totti, Buffon, Pirlo and a few more having really good seasons later on in their career but actually the league itself has a younger average age than both La Liga and the Premier League. At least it did in 2017.

https://www.90min.com/posts/5687992-revealed-which-of-europe-s-top-11-leagues-has-the-youngest-average-age

I watch the odd game every now and again, especially when there is a late game and I'll leave it on in the background. It does feel like it's played at a slightly slower tempo at times but not night and day stuff like is sometimes made out. Just feels a little more measured, I guess that's what I'd call it but also well capable of end to end stuff as well.

I'm looking forward to watching juventes play this season, honestly. That's some of the price tag covered already as I'm sure there are millions like me

• Advertisement

Netflix have a behind the scenes documentary series on Juve, maybe they paid a piece of his fee too?

Increased viewing figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm looking forward to watching juventes play this season, honestly. That's some of the price tag covered already as I'm sure there are millions like me

.... How? Their media deals are set. Its done.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

You never hear about Italian food?

"At the table, no one grows old"...

.... How? Their media deals are set. Its done.
    Don't play stupid!! Or if you are genuinely stupid, don't use the internet!!

Just for an amazing stat I came across when checking the defensive, negative stuff; total goals scored in leagues last season:
    England: 1018 (2.67 pg)
    Spain: 1024 (2.68 pg)
    Italy: 1017 (2.6 (2.67 pg)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't play stupid!! Or if you are genuinely stupid, don't use the internet!!
    Wow, what a piece of work you are.

How does you deciding to watch Juve this season change the money the are already contracted to get from TV?

It's as farcical as the claim that his cost will be covered by Jersey sales.

Wow, what a piece of work you are.

How does you deciding to watch Juve this season change the money the are already contracted to get from TV?

It's as farcical as the claim that his cost will be covered by Jersey sales.

The more popular a club and league is the more money it makes. I said me and millions others like me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The more popular a club and league is the more money it makes. I said me and millions others like me.

Serie A signed a new 3 year TV deal before Ronaldo signed for Juve. They can't get any more money until that deal expires.

Serie A signed a new 3 year TV deal before Ronaldo signed for Juve. They can't get any more money until that deal expires.

By the time that 3 years is up they will have millions of new followers, millions of new shirt sales, new TV deal will be bigger, sponsorship will deal be bigger, kit supplier will pay more, ticket prices will probably rise. It's simple really.

He is the most popular sports player on earth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

By the time that 3 years is up they will have millions of new followers, millions of new shirt sales, new TV deal will be bigger, sponsorship will deal be bigger, kit supplier will pay more, ticket prices will probably rise. It's simple really.

He is the most popular sports player on earth

You said that some of his price tag was already covered by the extra money they'll get. That is incorrect. Seria A won't get an increase in TV money for 3 years. By then Ronaldo could be gone. Juve won't get an increase in their deal from Adidas until renewal time in 2022 when Ronaldo's gone. Their Jeep runs until 2021.

They'll surely increase these values when those deals expire, but that would have occurred without Ronaldo arriving and he'll more than likely be gone before they kick in.

Advertisement