Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cristiano Ronaldo to Juventus

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You said that some of his price tag was already covered by the extra money they'll get. That is incorrect. Seria A won't get an increase in TV money for 3 years. By then Ronaldo could be gone. Juve won't get an increase in their deal from Adidas until renewal time in 2022 when Ronaldo's gone. Their Jeep runs until 2021.

They'll surely increase these values when those deals expire, but that would have occurred without Ronaldo arriving and he'll more than likely be gone before they kick in.

So you're trying to say, having the most popular sports star on earth, and one of if not the greatest player in history in your team brings in no extra money?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So you're trying to say, having the most popular sports star on earth, and one of if not the greatest player in history in your team brings in no extra money?

No I'm saying you're over egging the amount of money that will be brought in.

They say they sold 500,000 Ronaldo shirts last Thursday only, €105.00 each. They also increased ticket prices 30% for this year.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I'm not sure as to why it is, but those same players didn't just do it in "slow Italy" at that age - Zanetti won the CL at 36, Maldini at 38 (along with all the other ancient defenders!), Totti contributed in that competition until the end...

Pirlo v England :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Over €50m in revenue from jersey sales on the first day ain't too shabby.

• Advertisement

They say they sold 500,000 Ronaldo shirts last Thursday only, €105.00 each. They also increased ticket prices 30% for this year.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Over €50m in revenue from jersey sales on the first day ain't too shabby.

The idea that clubs make a fortune from shirt sales is a myth. Adidas pay Juve €23m a year and then Juve will get 10-15% of each shirt sale. So Juve wouldn't have gotten €50m. Adidas on the other hand are laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The idea that clubs make a fortune from shirt sales is a myth. Adidas pay Juve €23m a year and then Juve will get 10-15% of each shirt sale. So Juve wouldn't have gotten €50m. Adidas on the other hand are laughing.

That's why I said revenue. Juve certainly take in €50m in revenue with costs etc deducted then. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Shirt sales are always a big myth, even in the club shops, where they are ridiculously over priced compared to elsewhere, the club doesn't take 100% of the price of the shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Added to that, talking about money made solely off shirt sales is like talking about money made solely off cans of soft drinks in a newsagents. It's definitely a noteworthy part, but the days of it being the be all and end all of even of particularly high importance are 10, 20 years in the past.

I never mentioned a figure of what will be brought in..

more eyes on the team = more money for the team

That's what I said. I am correct

• Advertisement

Seems we have an accountant that works for either juventes or addidas on boards.

Seems we have an accountant that works for either juventes or addidas on boards.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The fact Ronaldo has moved from one Adidas club to another I doubt this statement is true. Ronaldo at Juventus is a blow for Madrid shirt sales so probably balances out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

rob316 wrote: »
    The fact Ronaldo has moved from one Adidas club to another I doubt this statement is true. Ronaldo at Juventus is a blow for Madrid shirt sales so probably balances out.

A player sells at least 5x the number of jerseys when they move than they would staying where they are.

It might be a sign of the way football has gone. I suspect there are more posts here about shirt sales than what he brings to the team and how he might fare on the pitch...

I reckon Juve are nailed on for another Scudetto or two while Ronaldo is around.

I cant see them winning a CL with their current squad even if theyve been knocking on the door the last few years.

If Ronaldo did drag them to a CL win, it would go towards cementing his legacy as the greatest player of all time.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Ronaldo did drag them to a CL win, it would go towards cementing his legacy as the greatest player of all time.

Not sure it puts him ahead of Maradona, but in the whole Messi/Ronaldo debate the "won the CL with 3 different clubs" would be a neat point.

It might be a sign of the way football has gone. I suspect there are more posts here about shirt sales than what he brings to the team and how he might fare on the pitch...
    The talk was the same when David Beckham went to Real Madrid in 2003, to be fair.

I reckon Juve are nailed on for another Scudetto or two while Ronaldo is around.

I cant see them winning a CL with their current squad even if theyve been knocking on the door the last few years.

We haven't seen the current squad play yet, they've done lots of good business this summer. I reckon they will at least get to another final in the next 2 or 3 seasons, probably winning one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hope so.

Since their messy recent past with the match fixing and drugs, Juve have really got their house in order.

They now are one of the best run clubs in Europe with their own stadium fully paid for.

They would deserve a cl title, they have banged on the door often enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pedantic, but I'm pretty sure Juve have generated more than €1.7bn over the course of their 120 year history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An interesting take.

Juve gained 4.7 million followers on social media platforms when Ronaldo joined.

Madrid lost 1m in 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/1036542999679979520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Key words there for me are "across various social media platforms". You could say that fans following on 3 platforms (or more) could have dropped a follow on each which would really bump up the numbers there.

Real Madrid have nearly 110m followers on Facebook, 30m on Twitter, and 63m on Instagram. No idea what the numbers are for Snapchat but that's still just shy of 200m "follows" across three platforms. 1m follows is half a percent. Its less if you take other platforms such as Snapchat into account. It'd be interesting to see what their typical ebb and flow of followers is through the year, particularly around the start of a season... a 0.5% drop doesn't seem hugely significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Random question, but im off to Portugal v Italy in Lisbon next week, have seen no sign of what players have joined the national side for these matches (Portugal are also playing Croatia this Friday) do you think their will be any chance that Ronaldo will be playing? Thanks

Random question, but im off to Portugal v Italy in Lisbon next week, have seen no sign of what players have joined the national side for these matches (Portugal are also playing Croatia this Friday) do you think their will be any chance that Ronaldo will be playing? Thanks

No chance. Portugal have 9 dropped from the last squad, one is Ronaldo. Mancini will also have many new faces.

No chance. Portugal have 9 dropped from the last squad, one is Ronaldo. Mancini will also have many new faces.

Not the news I wanted to hear! Was checking the Portuguese team's site and they have listed the Italy squad

Goalkeepers: Alessio Cragno (Cagliar), Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Mattia Perin (Juventus) and Salvatore Sirigu (Torino);

Defenders: Cristiano Biraghi (Fiorentina), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Mattia Caldara (Milan), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Emerson Palmieri Dos Santos (Chelsea), Manuel Lazzari (Spal), Alessio Romagnoli ), Daniele Rugani (Juventus) and Davide Zappacosta (Chelsea);

Average:Nicolò Barella (Cagliari), Marco Benassi (Fiorentina), Bryan Cristante (Roma), Roberto Gagliardini (Inter), Jorginho (Chelsea), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma) and Nicolò Zaniolo (Roma);

Forward: Mario Balotelli (Nice), Andrea Belotti (Torino), Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus), Giacomo Bonaventura Milan, Federico Chiesa Fiorentina Ciro Immobile Lazio Lorenzo Insigne Pietro Pellegri (Monaco) and Simone Zaza (Torino).

The Portugal team meet this morning at 10 so hopefully they will be some big players to see, looking forward to it either way, first time in Benfica's stadium so should be an experience :)

Nevermind, Portugal have announced the squad, no Ronaldo ;(

Goalkeepers - Beto (Goztepe), Cláudio Ramos (Tondela) and Rui Patrício (Wolverhampton)

Defenses - Cédric Soares (Southampton), João Cancelo (Juventus), Luis Neto (Zenit), Mário Rui (Naples), Pedro Mendes (Montpellier), Pepe Besiktas, Raphael Guerreiro Dortmund and Rúben Dias

Midfielder - Bruno Fernandes (Sporting), Gedson Fernandes (Benfica), Pizzi (Benfica), Renato Sanches (Bayern), Reuben Neves (Wolverhampton), Sérgio Oliveira (FC Porto) and William Carvalho

Advanced - André Silva (Sevilla), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Bruma (Leipzig), Gelson Martins (Atletico Madrid), Gonçalo Guedes (Valencia) and Ron Lopes (Monaco)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Shame about Ronaldo but still plenty of great talent on show from both sides. Hopefully you get to see a good few goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Is he retired from International football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is he retired from International football?

Not officially...think they just left him out...or maybe he asked not to be picked for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Has he scored for Juve yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not officially...think they just left him out...or maybe he asked not to be picked for this game.

Can't imagine this ever happening!

Has he scored for Juve yet?

That would be a no at the moment.

He started terribly last year too for Madrid and still managed over 40 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Say with the world cup and age coupled with a new team to get used to I'd imagine he will start slow enough this year again and improve as the season goes on

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That would be a no at the moment.

He started terribly last year too for Madrid and still managed over 40 goals.
    Say with the world cup and age coupled with a new team to get used to I'd imagine he will start slow enough this year again and improve as the season goes on

Yeh I haven't heard/read much about him at Juve. I think the only thing I saw was he has the most shots in Serie A without a goal currently? I assume he's on Pens and Juve just haven't gotten any yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I've seen their opening few games, he was unlucky with a few shots, but you can tell he desperately wants to get one, shooting from everywhere and snatching at a lot. However it's only a matter of time.

anytime odds on his next game are probably good value considering he hasnt scored in the opening 3 he's certainly due.

Yeh I haven't heard/read much about him at Juve. I think the only thing I saw was he has the most shots in Serie A without a goal currently? I assume he's on Pens and Juve just haven't gotten any yet?

I think it is the most shots in the 5 big European leagues and the next player in that list is 10 shots behind him (per Golazzo podcast)

Also, some paper referred to him as CR5.5 which was the rating in his last game which was pretty funny

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

He just can't hack it in the best league around ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

snowblind wrote: »
    He just can't hack it in the best league around ;)

That thought that was the irish league, dam lying thread name :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I've seen their opening few games, he was unlucky with a few shots, but you can tell he desperately wants to get one, shooting from everywhere and snatching at a lot. However it's only a matter of time.

anytime odds on his next game are probably good value considering he hasnt scored in the opening 3 he's certainly due.

Told yis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

GOAT gets his second of the afternoon. 2-0 Juve.

Advertisement