Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This I'd say. I don't think it was the question that felled SG the last time, I think it was his bumbling reaction to it. Then he mentioned the word envelope himself and it was goodnight Irene.

When PC threw that accusation out MDH didnt skip a beat and unequivocally denied it. If he had tried to deflect, or pawn it off or mumbled an answer it could have seriously damaged him, even if the accusation was subsequently proven false. That was probably his high point of the night IMO.

It also lent a bit more credence to the conspiracy theory that PC is only in it to try bring MDH down on behalf of the other candidates

I think this is one of those cases where MDH being a lazy self serving politician only serving his own agenda has come in to play, most other politicians at sometime would have objected to a halting site or a road or social housing or made a comment about migrants in an area or black people in the 60s, but MDH can hold his head up high and deny, because he knows he's only ever served himself and threw a few bones to the irish language and lefty social policies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think this is one of those cases where MDH being a lazy self serving politician only serving his own agenda has come in to play, most other politicians at sometime would have objected to a halting site or a road or social housing or made a comment about migrants in an area or black people in the 60s, but MDH can hold his head up high and deny, because he knows he's only ever served himself and threw a few bones to the irish language and lefty social policies

Speaking for myself, I feel he has served me well in the role he has held for the last 7 years.

Maybe he'll be disappointed to hear this if he's only interested in serving himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,434 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hurrache wrote: »
    What Varadkar said, and what you're claiming, are 2 versions of reality. He was asked about it, what did you expect him to to? Had he said nothing, you'd also try find away to attack him over it.

The Taoiseach should not be getting involved in a live presidential election when he has no horse in the race himself imo. His answer should have been a respectful, 'No comment'.

blanch152 wrote: »
    For some, Leo can do no right. I can only imagine the extent of your outrage if Varadkar had said something like that Casey was making some legitimate points but in the wrong way or had fully backed him.

That would have been wrong too. The point is, he shouldn't be getting involved at all, whether he agrees or disagrees.
    If he wants to be involved maybe he should have had the balls to run a candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

The Taoiseach should not be getting involved in a live presidential election when he has no horse in the race himself imo. His answer should have been a respectful, 'No comment'.

His party backed MDH. They didn't even want an election. We can probably thank SF for that election as they were the only major party to field a candidate.
    To SFs surprise and probably disgust, a week out from the election, there are only two candidates grabbing the headlines, PC and MDH.
    Its a boring and now farcical campaign and but for controversial comments there's nothing policy wise that any of them have the power to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I thought he was backing MDH. Am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Peter Casey looking like he might withdraw from the race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

blanch152 wrote: »
    I thought he was backing MDH. Am I wrong?

He is supporting him and a number of Ministers actively canvassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Casey is backing off...sounds like he could be about to pull out but his name will surely still be on the ballot paper

Casey 'considering his position'.

A stunt to avoid retracting and ride the wave, such as it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

RTE reporting Casey is considering pulling out.

He’s done all he needs to do, can call himself a Presidential nominee on his marketing material forever more. And “pulling out” gives a ready made explanation to excuse his poor final vote tally

The thing is, Casey had nothing to retract. He's entitled to question the awarding of ethnic status to Travellers. It's a valid argument.
    MSM and the Liberal agenda win again

jay0109 wrote: »
    The thing is, Casey had nothing to retract. He's entitled to question the awarding of ethnic status to Travellers. It's a valid argument.

I think 'common decency' would be the winner if he stepped aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah it is, but it could just be that he's an unmitigated flute.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah it is, but it could just be that he's an unmitigated flute.

That's true but the cries of racist the last few days and the attempts to shut down any debate on Travellers shows that while the Catholic church may be as good as gone, we have a new orthodoxy calling the shots today and woe betide anyone who disagrees with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I know 3 people in Galway that voted Michael D in 2011 that are putting Casey down as #1 and Michael D #2.

That's true but the cries of racist the last few days and the attempts to shut down any debate on Travellers shows that while the Catholic church may be as good as gone, we have a new orthodoxy calling the shots today and woe betide anyone who disagrees with it

Nah, I'd say for all his clumsiness, 90% of the Country agrees with him, there is no new orthodoxy around the traveller question.

If he has done any service it would be to leave traveller groups and apologists in no doubt that the people do not buy the red herring of traveller "ethnicity" and are completely eyes-open as to the reality on the ground.

He just showed no political savvy or having good advice around him in the way he dealt with it and thats a hole below the waterline in any campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Varadkar went a step too far basically telling people which way to vote,he just can't resist the mic.

He should have expressed his opinion on the matter and left it at that.

Casey's comments are dangerous as they are basically a blanket incitement to hatred rather than a rational discussion of the issues with travellers.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If he has done any service it would be to leave traveller groups and apologists in no doubt that the people do not buy the red herring of traveller "ethnicity" and are completely eyes-open as to the reality on the ground.

I disagree (unless he gets 10%+ of the vote). The Apologists have won the day and have screamed him into a corner.
    The ordinary people will look at this and be more likely to keep their mouths even more firmly shut on issues such as Travellers as a result

• Advertisement

Varadkar went a step too far basically telling people which way to vote,he just can't resist the mic.

Casey's comments are dangerous as they are basically a blanket incitement to hatred rather than a rational discussion of the issues with travellers.

When you see people claiming '90% of the country agree with him', you know that what he did was extremely dangerous. The classic fueling of witch hunts and Putsch's spring to mind.
    Hopefully jhe will reflect on that over the weekend. He was too anxious to wave his arms around throwing out accusations about many things. Silly boy Peter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

I disagree (unless he gets 10%+ of the vote). The Apologists have won the day and have screamed him into a corner.
    The ordinary people will look at this and be more likely to keep their mouths even more firmly shut on issues such as Travellers as a result

If his supporters actually liked him and weren't just voting for him because they hate travelers he wouldn't be considering backing out. It's your fault, not whatever conspiracy you repeat for everything.

He was on 0% (+/- 1%) before the traveller comments. If he gets anywhere near ~10% its a positively Trumpian outcome against the apologists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I think the point is that there will never be a rational discussion without someone saying something controversial. No PC loving politician will go there.

Good solid performance from MDH again on Sean O'Rourke.
    I can't see his temperate, reasonable persona taking much of a knock in the polls despite Casey's lies about the planning thing and his rant against travellers. His 'fantasy list' as Higgins brilliantly called it.

If Casey gets above 10% it will only confirm what we all know, there are some very intemperate unreasonable kneejerk people in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Questioning how appropriate it was to grant special status to travellers isn’t verboten (no matter how much certain lobby groups try to make it so).

Making a claim that all travellers are nothing but a group of people who illegally camp on other people’s land is a very different claim to make.

It’s a broad and sweeping slur against every member of the travelling community, and that needs to be retracted and apologised for.

Can you explain to me why a politician can't have an opinion on which way people should vote in an election?

Should Varadkar announce during the next general election that he is not telling people to vote for FG? :confused::confused:

blackwhite wrote: »
    Questioning how appropriate it was to grant special status to travellers isn’t verboten (no matter how much certain lobby groups try to make it so).

Making a claim that all travellers are nothing but a group of people who illegally camp on other people’s land is a very different claim to make.

It’s a broad and sweeping slur against every member of the travelling community, and that needs to be retracted and apologised for.

Absolutely correct.

Casey may well have a good point about whether Travellers deserve ethnic status, but he chose the completely wrong way to express it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Casey'll probably pop back up in a couple of days to say that he really really was going to withdraw but the flood of support he's received from ordinary decent people has convinced him that it's his Moral Duty to stay in the race.

Obvious Chancer is Obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't buy into this whole liberal agenda nonsense.

But I do think the media, published and aired, in their rush to condemn and accuse him of being racist, are actually creating the atmosphere for someone with a far right agenda to step in and get some reasonable numbers.

Many of the commentators I've heard have said that we shouldn't even be talking about such things, as if it's an idea that shouldn't even be entertained.

This will have some people saying hang on, we feel this is a valid issue to be discussed by our representatives, yet they're all claiming we shouldn't, or don't, have such worries.

So once someone willing to bring this up, regardless of their other policies, will become attractive.

All politics is local. If you're current representatives don't reflect your local and specific issue, you're going to find one that does.

Advertisement