Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's completely within the Taoiseach's remit to do this. Why wouldn't it be?

Would it not come across a bit odd if the head of the government was disallowed from expressing his opinion about the suitability of any candidate for the head of state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

touts wrote: »
    Disappointed but not surprised that Casey feels he is being forced out of the race. There is no support for anyone right of center in the Liberal Leftist Tyranny that Ireland has become. Anyone who speaks the truth on topics such as travellers finds themselves slandered and villified by the Dublin media and political elite. I haven't heard a single real person who doesn't agree 100% with his stance on travellers but if you listened only to the media you would think the nation was against him.

Honest people like Casey need protection and support. Steve Bannon may be an odious toad but I am becoming more and more convinced that we need his European "movement" to set up here ASAP.

There's ways of doing it without hate preaching which is dangerous in itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,427 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Honest people like Casey .

Honest????
    This is the guy that was firing out lies about other candidates on live television.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's dangerous is saying we shouldn't talk about this, disregarding for now his clumsy approach. If gives credence to far right politics if it's not allowed to be debated in 'mainstream' media or politics.

Indeed. I mean, after all, simply because somebody expresses an inaccuracy or relies on some kind of fudged reasoning somewhere in their argument, it doesn't necessarily mean that the argument is inherently without merit.

It may make it easier to discount straight off the bat, as plenty here alone have hopped to, but it doesn't mean it's not worthwhile considering whether or not some sliver of value is hidden away in it somewhere.

For every argument, there's always a bunch more preoccupied with claiming the moral high-ground than they are considering the various points of view on exhibition. God forbid somebody is simply poor at expressing and communicating their opinion lest they be labeled a dimwit.

On a technical note; if his is name is going to be on the ballot regardless, how does that affect counting? Is his name simply "skipped" in terms of the preference indicated by the voter i.e. If I were to have Casey No. 2 will my vote not be transferred if it reaches that stage or will my No. 3 vote be considered my "2nd" preference?

And of much more interest, will his result be recorded if he does pull out?

Casey should step down the ****

What he did wasn't clumsy,it was nasty.

He was inciting and stoking up hatred against all travellers.

Plenty of decent travellers out there involved in boxing and the like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Casey will be gone by Monday.
    Good riddance. We don't need a big mouth bigot representing the country.

Casey will be gone by Monday.
    Good riddance. We don't need a big mouth bigot representing the country.

Well his shambolic, pathetic back-pedalling on News at One is going to bring more criticism his way.
    What a tool he has been throughout this campaign. Got the tone all wrong everytime he opened his mouth. I think he has accepted the old maxim himself, 'Stick to the day job'.

I believe he wanted to be President so he could impress his pals over in America. The egos on these people, (gallagher/Duffy).
    How humbling it would be to be elected president. Gallagher acts like it's his right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Honest????
    This is the guy that was firing out lies about other candidates on live television.

No, that was just die Luegenpresse MSM putting words in his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's obvious what casey is at .
    He is waiting to see some poll results come out over the weekend.
    He was on 1% before the " traveller remarks " .
    He needed a reaction and boy has he got it .
    He and his team have obviously thought this tru .
    He will pull out if no obvious improvement in the polls .
    If however his stock has risen , he will stay in it .

• Advertisement

I believe he wanted to be President so he could impress his pals over in America. The egos on these people, (gallagher/Duffy).
    How humbling it would be to be elected president. Gallagher acts like it's his right.

If Gallagher's skillset is so useful why doesn't he stand for local or national td where he can use it

Same for the others proclaiming their talents

Casey prob end up gone off dragons den over this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Casey will be gone by Monday. Good riddance. We don't need a big mouth bigot representing the country.

He didn't utter a word of a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

It's obvious what casey is at .
    He is waiting to see some poll results come out over the weekend.
    He was on 1% before the " traveller remarks " .
    He needed a reaction and boy has he got it .
    He and his team have obviously thought this tru .
    He will pull out if no obvious improvement in the polls .
    If however his stock has risen , he will stay in it .

He'll have to come out with an awful lot more to make up the 65-point gap in the polls to Higgins...

TCM wrote: »

He's appealing to ignorant people like you

That's the problem here

Yes he did, he lied very loudly about Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Can we have your analysis of the DNA markers that indicate there is no difference between the Travelling community and the settled Irish community please?

Hell, if any of those lauding the Prophet Casey to the skies would actually like to explain why he is correct, it would advance the conversation considerably.

Note: "I don't like them" has nothing to do with ethnicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Note: "I don't like them" has nothing to do with ethnicity.

Most of the "No way they are an ethnicity!" crowd will, if you can stand listening to them for a while, tell you that they can spot a traveller a mile off just from their looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Walter bishop .... At this stage it's about getting his money back .
    Ifs there's a sniff of him getting 25% of the vote that will get him a refund.
    Been so low in the polls he needed a major reaction .
    Over the weekend will tell what that reaction has been .

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I think they need 12% to get expenses back, but even that is a pipe-dream and then some for Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes he did, specifically about Higgins objecting to a halting site. He never did any such thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Walter bishop .... At this stage it's about getting his money back .
    Ifs there's a sniff of him getting 25% of the vote that will get him a refund.
    Been so low in the polls he needed a major reaction .
    Over the weekend will tell what that reaction has been .

He won’t get next or near the 12% needed. He as good as supported Freeman on the news at 1, even if his support went up to 4 or 5% he is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

seamus wrote: »
    How so?

Is it not typical that any politician or TD will support/criticise presidential candidates?

There have been enough attempts from backbench TDs to have a go at Michael D - why are you trying to censor Varadkar?

I'm pretty sure the government should not dictate who the public should and should not vote for vote in presidential elections. This would be one house of the oireachtas directly using its influence to determine the public vote of another house of the oireachtas. This is separate from a political party running a candidate (which Fine Gael isn't even doing) - and even then, such candidates usually run as independents. Varadkar as the head of the government, talking about an active election, was acting much more than just any old TD complaining about an incumbent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Most of the "No way they are an ethnicity!" crowd will, if you can stand listening to them for a while, tell you that they can spot a traveller a mile off just from their looks.

You can with an alcoholic too, doesn't make an alcoholic an ethnicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This would be one house of the oireachtas directly using its influence to determine the public vote of another house of the oireachtas.

LOL this is such a ridiculous argument. So you would have the same problem with members of the seanad or Dail supporting a member of the other house too? What about how a Taoiseach has the power to nominate 11 members of the seanad?

Firstly the Government has every right to campaign on behalf of their proffered candidate as has happened in EVERY presidential election since the state was formed.

Secondly also stop using words like dictate or determine which they are doing nothing of the kind by simply having a preference and declaring it.

Finally read the constitution which has no problem with them doing any of this and is the ultimate arbiter of what is or isnt allowed during elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Disappointed but not surprised that Casey feels he is being forced out of the race. There is no support for anyone right of center in the Liberal Leftist Tyranny that Ireland has become. Anyone who speaks the truth on topics such as travellers finds themselves slandered and villified by the Dublin media and political elite. I haven't heard a single real person who doesn't agree 100% with his stance on travellers but if you listened only to the media you would think the nation was against him.

Honest people like Casey need protection and support. Steve Bannon may be an odious toad but I am becoming more and more convinced that we need his European "movement" to set up here ASAP.

It's support from people like you that is making him rethink things. People would rather not run than have you support them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,201 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm pretty sure the government should not dictate who the public should and should not vote for vote in presidential elections.

Varadkar expressing an opinion is not dictating anything and that's a ridiculous suggestion tbh. What's next, he's not allowed say "Vote Fine Gael" ??

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

He did. The travelers wanted grazing land he said they demanded stables be built. He went further as to tar them all with the same brush. That's ignorant. You can agree with him, but he lied and is a bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm pretty sure the government should not dictate who the public should and should not vote for vote in presidential elections.
    Why only the government? Why not the entire Dail, Seanad and county councils?

Do you think it's inappropriate that Sinn Fein have backed Ni Riada?

Or is it just the fact that Varadkar has criticised Casey?

You seem to be advocating a position where the only logical outcome is that no elected official is allowed to provide any input about a presidential candidate.

However your use of the word "dictate" seems to reveal some level of double-standard. If you're a government member, then you're "dictating", otherwise you're just someone giving an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I'm pretty sure the government should not dictate who the public should and should not vote for vote in presidential elections. This would be one house of the oireachtas directly using its influence to determine the public vote of another house of the oireachtas. This is separate from a political party running a candidate (which Fine Gael isn't even doing) - and even then, such candidates usually run as independents. Varadkar as the head of the government, talking about an active election, was acting much more than just any old TD complaining about an incumbent.

Rubbish. Why should Varadkar's freedom of speech or freedom of opinion be limited?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He did. The travelers wanted grazing land he said they demanded stables be built. He went further as to tar them all with the same brush. That's ignorant. You can agree with him, but he lied and is a bigot.

To be fair, they did demand stables be built.

Advertisement