Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

The Sinn Fein leadership must be feeling pretty sick. In both the current polls, their candidate is polling below 10%, and won't get expenses.

SF forcing an election is looking like an expensive,stupid mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Times UK have a story this morning stating, OPW paid for work done on Michael D Higgins's private house in Galway.

Immediate thought was that this could be interesting. The article states it was for security upgrades and I'm thinking 'makes sense, he is the president'. Sure he'd rather stay at home for a night from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Times UK have a story this morning stating, OPW paid for work done on Michael D Higgins's private house in Galway.

Immediate thought was that this could be interesting. The article states it was for security upgrades and I'm thinking 'makes sense, he is the president'. Sure he'd rather stay at home for a night from time to time.

I seen that on the headlines after the news on Ireland am.
    I can see the point if it's regards security, didn't see the full story.
    I see the govt jet to Belfast getting headlines elsewhere too.
    Questions being asked at least as to this discretionary spend. It could be the elephant in the room.

Edward M wrote:
    Questions being asked at least as to this discretionary spend. It could be the elephant in the room.

If it is, it's a white elephant.
    It's only getting airplay given the gap between candidates.
    I suspect we'll find its normal but when communicated beside stories about homelessness, it'll look worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Given the other attempts to desperately reach for dirt on Higgins resulting in some rather silly arguments, I'm not convinced yet, but paying attention to the story.

People talking bollocks may be crying wolf but doesn't neccessarily mean that there isn't a wolf somewhere! Just not going to buy into the hysteria until there is something to be hysterical about. This is a better reason to pay close attention than any of the previous slings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,544 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Casey, although speaking some sense really is playing to the gallery..

walshb wrote:

Yeah. And the fact that the office he is running for has no influence on these topics seems to be lost on most in that gallery.

Homer running for sanitation commissioner comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Alan_P wrote: »
    The Sinn Fein leadership must be feeling pretty sick. In both the current polls, their candidate is polling below 10%, and won't get expenses.

SF forcing an election is looking like an expensive,stupid mistake.

Not really they'll have secured Ní Riadas MEP seat in the new South const.

They'll be happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

walshb wrote:

Yeah. And the fact that the office he is running for has no influence on these topics seems to be lost on most in that gallery.

Homer running for sanitation commissioner comes to mind.

The point is he is the ONLY 'politician' saying what many people are thinking. I think most people that vote for him will know he will do SFA about travellers and welfare spongers.

The point is he is the ONLY 'politician' saying what many people are thinking. I think most people that vote for him will know he will do SFA about travellers and welfare spongers.

Maybe, but that in itself is not something to be proud of. Ignoring the importance of an office to make a point about one of the opinions of the last place candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Casey is the Boris Johnson of this race, no question. His comments on Varadkar are straight out of the far right playbook, try to obfuscate by making everything about race and bring the closeted (and not closeted) racists over to your side.

Maybe, but that in itself is not something to be proud of. Ignoring the importance of an office to make a point about one of the opinions of the last place candidate.

I very much doubt he will be last place.

People voting for him don't really care about the presidency. I think they just want to vent. There is a vacuum in Irish politics amongst the middle class who are sickended at seeing their hard earned high taxes wasted by welfare spongers and others.

I very much doubt he will be last place.

I'm going on latest polls at this point obviously.
    People voting for him don't really care about the presidency. I think they just want to vent. There is a vacuum in Irish politics amongst the middle class who are sicking at seeing their hard earned high taxes wasted by welfare spongers and others.

I understand, but I'd rather see the emergence of viable candidates for appropriate office when having such considerations.
    It's all very populist at the moment.

Liah Ni Riada actually used the fact that she campaigned against water charges as a strung to her bow on the RTE debate.
    What about the waste in that resource, or the waste in the money in implementing the scheme to then abandon it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Casey is the Boris Johnson of this race, no question. His comments on Varadkar are straight out of the far right playbook, try to obfuscate by making everything about race and bring the closeted (and not closeted) racists over to your side.

Agree, he is going for the 'something should be done about....' core vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

There's also a vacuum for a candidate that incites hatred in the less well educated based on what they don't have and what they perceive is being given to people of different races and cultures. Casey is appealing to that cohort as well, and it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Again a non story and total nonsense.
    Can we we all recall he is the President ?

Michael D loves coming back to Galway and often comes down for events and funerals. Better to stay in his house than some expensive hotels in Galway.

He is an honourable man and does not care about money like most Irish politicians do. I think whatever else we might say about him, this attempt to prove he is wasteful and a spendthrift is disingenuous.

Alan_P wrote:
    Again a non story and total nonsense. Can we we all recall he is the President ?
    Michael D loves coming back to Galway and often comes down for events and funerals. Better to stay in his house than some expensive hotels in Galway.

Just to clarify. This is my point. I think it's a non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

These polls are a load of boll@x, casey is doing much better then 2pc,and Higgins is doing less the 69pc especially since this weeks revelations.

Macdarack wrote: »
    These polls are a load of boll@x, casey is doing much better then 2pc,and Higgins is doing less the 69pc especially since this weeks revelations.

We know this. The latest poll was conducted before Peter made his remarks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think it's a non story. All presidential homes would receive such evaluation and changes made where necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Which house in Galway?

Didn't he say he was a landlord the other night?

Was it his house, house - or the house(s) he rents to students/worker's?

Also, did the learjet to Belfast/official car awaiting him there, cost more or less than the security upgrade to one of his homes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think it's a non story. All presidential homes would receive such evaluation and changes made where necessary.

The little hut in the garden for the on-duty Garda to eat his takeaway and smoke out of sight.

What was done? When was it done? How much did it cost? Who paid for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The little hut in the garden for the on-duty Garda to eat his takeaway and smoke out of sight.

What was done? When was it done? How much did it cost? Who paid for it?

The state, just like it would have for all others.

I'm getting the impression that people think Higgins is the first president we ever had, not realising we had one or two before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Danzy wrote: »
    Not really they'll have secured Ní Riadas MEP seat in the new South const.

They'll be happy with that.

Was the seat in much jeopardy? If that was their primary objective, could they not have spent the money in a more targeted way?

Was the seat in much jeopardy? If that was their primary objective, could they not have spent the money in a more targeted way?

Brian Crowley FF got 27% of 1st preferences
    Ni Riada was second on 19% and elected on the fourth count
    Sean Kelly FG got 12%
    Deirdre Clune FG 7%

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Brian Crowley FF got 27% of 1st preferences
    Ni Riada was second on 19% and elected on the fourth count
    Sean Kelly FG got 12%
    Deirdre Clune FG 7%

And South will have five seats next time round. A chimp wearing an easter lily would be able to get elected for SF in 2019: they might even have a shot at a second seat.

And South will have five seats next time round. A chimp wearing an easter lily would be able to get elected for SF in 2019: they might even have a shot at a second seat.

The 'run her to secure her EU seat' theory doesn't really stack up. The caveat is that there always has to be a conspiratorial ulterior motive with SF for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

BadTurtle wrote: »
    There's also a vacuum for a candidate that incites hatred in the less well educated based on what they don't have and what they perceive is being given to people of different races and cultures. Casey is appealing to that cohort as well, and it's working.

so now you are saying its less well educated people who buy into Casey?

as to what is actual and perceived in relation to what a high percentage of travelers take from the state without giving much if anything back, yet argue that they should get more?

Travelers are Irish people, but they want to keep the divide because it suits them in some cases to be marginalized. Note that anything that is wrong in traveler culture like homophobia, suicide, crime, abuse of women, its the states fault, listen back to the interview with the spokesperson from Pavee point on primetime the other night and tell me different. According to RTE employee John Connors, its ok to destroy a Lidl and all Gardai are scum, according to Margaret Cash its the Governments fault as well, go figure
    :mad:

• Advertisement

so now you are saying its less well educated people who buy into Casey?

as to what is actual and perceived in relation to what a high percentage of travelers take from the state without giving much if anything back, yet argue that they should get more?

Travelers are Irish people, but they want to keep the divide because it suits them in some cases to be marginalized. Note that anything that is wrong in traveler culture like homophobia, suicide, crime, abuse of women, its the states fault, listen back to the interview with the spokesperson from Pavee point on primetime the other night and tell me different. According to RTE employee John Connors, its ok to destroy a Lidl and all Gardai are scum, according to Margaret Cash its the Governments fault as well, go figure
    :mad:

Again you generalise like Casey did.
    Because 3 members of the travelling community say x, that means all travellers say x.

There are different points of view even within Pavee Point, not to mention the community as a whole.

Try cherrypicking 3 opinions out of any other community and theorising that that is how that entire community feel, and you might see the ridiculousness of what you are doing.

Like Casey you need to be told again and again that that is inciteful and dangerous.

Advertisement