Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ben Archibald is much more critical of some traveller behaviour than Collins.

Generalising about travellers does not help the debate that is and has to take place within the travelling community.
    Collins, tends to circle the wagons around issues I think.

That debate is a long time coming.
    Hopefully Casey has moved it closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again, if you had done some basic research you would know it is ongoing in the traveller community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

But it won't Tayto, too many PC luvees out there that won't hear anything negative said about sections of our community.

Margaret Cash is the prime example, outrage over the Garda station incident, which for someone who if genuine would have been a disgrace,
    But a pure blank as regards coverage on the same woman stealing €300 plus worth of items out of Penny's (plus the most famous question we all had, how the fkuc did she manage it?)

Again, if you had done some basic research you would know it is ongoing in the traveller community.

Results would inform me in a better way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No but a quote from even one dissenting voice would be nice to read.

even one traveller family where all the kids finished school and no criminal convictions between them and a clean garden and cars legally owned, taxed and insured and nobody claiming welfare and reporting relatives to gardai would be enough.

I think I'm asking for wayyy too much.

• Advertisement

even one traveller family where all the kids finished school and no criminal convictions between them and a clean garden and cars legally owned, taxed and insured and nobody claiming welfare and reporting relatives to gardai would be enough.

I think I'm asking for wayyy too much.

Bit OTT there

There are plenty of decent settled travelers all around the country, there are a good few where I live and I have no issue with any of them. Some are even involved in my local community and i would have dialogue with them as neighbours regularly. (Although out of respect, I think i would keep my overall views of some elements of their community to myself, although that is also the same with some of the drug dealing scum lowlifes in my area also, who I also say hello to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Bit OTT there

There are plenty of decent settled travelers all around the country, there are a good few where I live and I have no issue with any of them. Some are even involved in my local community and i would have dialogue with them as neighbours regularly. (Although out of respect, I think i would keep my overall views of some elements of their community to myself, although that is also the same with some of the drug dealing scum lowlifes in my area also, who I also say hello to)

Of course there is

Some of the posters have never mixed with travellers and show their ignorance in this regard.

They only know the stereotypical lawbreaking traveller of which there are many ,too many.

Results would inform me in a better way.

Would a rise from 2% to 16% be a result? An ongoing result?

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/1004/909644-educational-attainment-travellers/

*wait till you hear the whoops of 'Success' and triumph if Peter manages a percentage rise like that in the polls! ;)

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/1004/909644-educational-attainment-travellers/

*wait till you hear the whoops of 'Success' and triumph if Peter manages a percentage rise like that in the polls! ;)

in 17 years its risen 14% , still with 84% not finishing school, lets have a parade sure, thats brilliant. If even one estate of non travellers had an 84% rate of kids not finishing the leaving you'd have Tulsa and the local ETB involved as a matter of emergency.

The LC Applied or Foundation I'd say. Where someone sits beside them and writes their answers.
    I suppose it's better than nothing .... just. Might keep them out of crime while they're there anyway.

• Advertisement

in 17 years its risen 14% , still with 84% not finishing school, lets have a parade sure, thats brilliant. If even one estate of non travellers had an 84% rate of kids not finishing the leaving you'd have Tulsa and the local ETB involved as a matter of emergency.

Yes, much much more work to be done. Nobody denying that.

But that is a 'result' which is what the poster wanted.

Plenty of low attainment in settled deprived areas too.

Yes, much much more work to be done. Nobody denying that.

But that is a 'result' which is what the poster wanted.

Plenty of low attainment in settled deprived areas too.

find me one area where 84% of children don't make it to the leaving cert.

find me one area where 84% of children don't make it to the leaving cert.

There wouldn't be Eric and I never said there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Casey won’t win, but I’m glad he’s staying in the race. He is dead right to tackle the Traveller issue and our welfare culture. In my view, Travellers are not an ethnic minority; it’s simply a way of life that has no place in modern society.

Casey won’t win, but I’m glad he’s staying in the race. He is dead right to tackle the Traveller issue and our welfare culture. In my view, Travellers are not an ethnic minority; it’s simply a way of life that has no place in modern society.

They are and there is legislation in place that confirms it. If you don't like that, campaign to change it.
    The Aras can do nothing for you on that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They are and there is legislation in place that confirms it. If you don't like that, campaign to change it.
    The Aras can do nothing for you on that issue.

Just because some stupid whacky legislation defined them as an “ethnic minority” doesn’t mean they actually are. A backslapping exercise for liberals was all that was. They are just Irish citizens nothing more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

road_high wrote: »
    Just because some stupid whacky legislation defined them as an “ethnic minority” doesn’t mean they actually are. A backslapping exercise for liberals was all that was. They are just Irish citizens nothing more than that.

That's exactly what it means. If they are nothing more than Irish citizens, why are they so easily recognizable?
    I disagree with a lot of what they do, but, I also recognize that they are an identifiable grouping with a history in Ireland.

It's quite funny, on one hand, conservatives don't want any refugees coming in because they might change our culture, on the other hand, they wish part of that culture just disappeared and could be forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Read the RTE report, started off interesting until I got to.....

"which was carried out by market research company Behaviour and Attitudes on behalf of a number of Traveller advocacy groups."

Until you tell me that you are willing to believe internal political polls carried out by Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, I can't take your support of this poll seriously.

What have you done about getting the legislation changed? It's a democracy and if you had a shred of political support to change it, you could start.

*cue rant about all politicians of every hue and creed and the meejah being involved in the anti-settled people oppression. :rolleyes:

blanch152 wrote: »
    Read the RTE report, started off interesting until I got to.....

"which was carried out by market research company Behaviour and Attitudes on behalf of a number of Traveller advocacy groups."

Until you tell me that you are willing to believe internal political polls carried out by Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, I can't take your support of this poll seriously.

Is this where we get upset about polls because we don't like their findings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is a lot of people that agree with Casey on his blanket attack on all Travellers, but are they going to vote for him?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saying Travellers are the same as me would lead to accusations of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I've asked several people to review the DNA and language data and explain how it doesn't support the evidence of ethnicity. Given it is "stupid whacky legislation" based on it, maybe you could explain your findings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I don't think casey penned the aricle in question. How can he control if a journalist deliberately wires a misleading article and or headline?

Casey puts some awkward quotes on the record. A tabloid article was written involving said quotes. Won't somebody please think of the children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Casey puts some awkward quotes on the record. A tabloid article was written involving said quotes. Won't somebody please think of the children?
    Do you have a link to it? what did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Casey's letter.

Dq-C6cv-AWk-AAcen-R.jpg

Casey's letter.

If he is wrong, he is not apologising.

Jesus what would we be letting ourselves in for with that man as head of state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

gmisk wrote: »
    Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to it? what did he say?

The full article is here - calls Varadkar "a member of an ethnic community himself" and "Indian", looks innocuous enough in print, just a question of whether Varadkar would describe himself in such a manner:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/shut-your-trap-casey-tells-indian-leo-varadkar-for-trying-to-impact-poll-37439628.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

There is a lot of people that agree with Casey on his blanket attack on all Travellers, but are they going to vote for him?

I doubt it.

I think they will. I don't think he'll get near winning but I think he will probably bring some people out to vote unlike the other candidates. Some parts of Ireland have been badly targeted by traveller gangs and very little is done about it. CAB are nowhere to be seen to stop the fleet of AMGs bought with cash and massive houses been built on stolen and illegal money.

There is the issue of stigmatising all travellers with these issues but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't talk about them. It also doesn't help that the media give such a huge platform to Pavee Point who just damage the image of travellers in Ireland IMO.

• Advertisement

The full article is here - calls Varadkar "a member of an ethnic community himself" and "Indian", looks innocuous enough in print, just a question of whether Varadkar would describe himself in such a manner:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/shut-your-trap-casey-tells-indian-leo-varadkar-for-trying-to-impact-poll-37439628.html

Varadker has when it has suited him to

Advertisement