Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Douglas Hyde was older than MDH is now when he took office and lasted a full term. Do I get a gold star too?:p

No homework for a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ha! Did you see the tricolour in the room where RTE interviewed Gallagher on the Six-One news? Trying to make his office look presidential I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Interesting poll carried out on the Limerick Leader website. Apologies unable to link from my phone. Casey is over 20points ahead of MDH in the poll. Casey has momentum at the moment , depending how he preforms tomorrow night he should be able to capitalise on it although I do feel a little uncomfortable with a 77 year old man being put under pressure. Having said that MDH has put himself in this situation when there was no need too

In this situation ? You mean the election ? That's not his doing. He as incumbent is allowed nominate himself for a second term as in years past bar 1966 the incumbent should they wish to run again were given a free pass(whether that was right or not is for another thread) but this time it's different.

I mean the things that people are having a go at Michael D Higgins for are really ridiculous. The fact he said he'd only go for one term and changed his mind(which is his right btw) and people are upset. If the only issue our politicians had in the past was what he did, then maybe the people might have a better opinion of them as a whole.

I think Peter Casey won't come out of this campaign looking well(or maybe that was never his intention) as he has said things that might gain traction but as an overall are not the opinions of the whole country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Humour Me wrote: »
    Just to follow up on Mary McAleeses role, I haven’t seen mention of this anywhere else but Mary Lou McDonald was on the most recent Irish Times politics podcast. She said that the Presidential expenses were increased to their current level by Bertie to allow Mary McAleese to support north south relations. This would indicate that she was doing a lot of background work with full support from the government.

I haven’t seen any reference anywhere in the media that the expense allowance was increased for Mary McAleese, but I assume Mary Lou knows what she’s talking about (in this instance at least)

I have heard that too, and if that was the case, it was money well spent. It does beg the question as to what Michael D. has done with the money for the last 7 years as he discontinued McAleese's efforts on Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    In this situation ? You mean the election ? That's not his doing. He as incumbent is allowed nominate himself for a second term as in years past bar 1966 the incumbent should they wish to run again were given a free pass(whether that was right or not is for another thread) but this time it's different.

I mean the things that people are having a go at Michael D Higgins for are really ridiculous. The fact he said he'd only go for one term and changed his mind(which is his right btw) and people are upset. If the only issue our politicians had in the past was what he did, then maybe the people might have a better opinion of them as a whole.

I think Peter Casey won't come out of this campaign looking well(or maybe that was never his intention) as he has said things that might gain traction but as an overall are not the opinions of the whole country.

Many do agree with Casey

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    Many do agree with Casey
    [/B]

Why is that post in bold like a mod warning ? What did I say that was wrong ?

nc6000 wrote: »
    Ha! Did you see the tricolour in the room where RTE interviewed Gallagher on the Six-One news? Trying to make his office look presidential I guess.

He really isn't very good at the subliminal suggestive stuff. This one is cringeworthy tbh. His 60 second video was also a complete doozy.

220px-Se%C3%A1n_Gallagher.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

He really isn't very good at the subliminal suggestive stuff. This one is cringeworthy tbh. His 60 second video was also a complete doozy.

Gallagher just isn't very good, full stop. There isn't a hope I'd vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    nuac wrote: »
    Many do agree with Casey
    [/B]

Why is that post in bold like a mod warning ? What did I say that was wrong ?

It's just highlighted as a direct quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Ní Ríada has now drifted out to fourth place, at 40/1. Freeman now 150/1, with Duffy at 200/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ní Ríada has now drifted out to fourth place, at 40/1. Freeman now 150/1, with Duffy at 200/1.

Who's that with, and where's Casey?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Hurrache wrote: »
    Who's that with, and where's Casey?

Paddy Power

Michael D 1/50
    Gallagher 25/1
    Casey 33/1
    Ni Riada 40/1
    Freeman 150/1
    Duffy 200/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Duffy will be massively disappointed to see those odds on him.

You seem to believe that former US presidents are important? Putting Ireland on the map isn't even definable.

I do, along with the 70 or 80 world leaders who all turned up to honour Nelson Mandela. Its easier to say who wasn't there (the Israeli Prime Minister) than say who was there.

Anyway you're free to believe whatever you like about the presidency and speeches that no one takes notice of.

The fact that he was asked to speak at Nelson Mandela's funeral is notable considering the high esteem Mandela was held worldwide.

That reflects well on our nation. Certainly a lot better than May's claim to the EU that Ireland wasn't an important country like Britain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If he's half as smart as he thinks he is, he has known is true odds with the last week.

I still maintain he doesn't really care but has "Presidential Candidate" for the CV to help him in other areas of his business life in to the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

jm08 wrote:
    I do, along with the 70 or 80 world leaders who all turned up to honour Nelson Mandela. Its easier to say who wasn't there (the Israeli Prime Minister) than say who was there.

jm08 wrote:
    The fact that he was asked to speak at Nelson Mandela's funeral is notable considering the high esteem Mandela was held worldwide.

jm08 wrote:
    That reflects well on our nation. Certainly a lot better than May's claim to the EU that Ireland wasn't an important country like Britain!

Mandela's funeral is well forgotten now I'm afraid to tell you. I didn't even know Michael D was at the funeral to be honest! And I watch the news. I imagine most Irish people couldn't tell you one thing he said in that speech.

I get that you're trying to find a legacy for the Higgins presidency, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

His legacy is that he provided continuity in the office and attended a lot of ceremonies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And the Shinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah it's brilliant isn't it lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jm08 wrote: »

Micky D was trumped by Jarry Adams on that trip. Wasn't Adams part of the official ANC Guard of Honour?

It's just highlighted as a direct quote.
    Not my post. I meant the reply to my post.

• Advertisement

Mandela's funeral is well forgotten now I'm afraid to tell you. I didn't even know Michael D was at the funeral to be honest! And I watch the news. I imagine most Irish people couldn't tell you one thing he said in that speech.

Mandela's isn't though. Did you know that Mandela died? Michael D. wasn't addressing the Irish nation, he was addressing world leaders on this occasion.
    I get that you're trying to find a legacy for the Higgins presidency, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I've no idea what you are trying to do.
    His legacy is that he provided continuity in the office and attended a lot of ceremonies.

His Presidential legacy is that he represented the Irish nation very well.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Micky D was trumped by Jarry Adams on that trip. Wasn't Adams part of the official ANC Guard of Honour?

Hardly surprising bearing in mind that the ANC had close ties with Sinn Fein and the IRA as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fann Linn wrote: »

Eulogising Castro
    ANC guard of honour for a man who's party has been the most destructive force in south africa since the brits arrived there
    Photos with Tyrant Daniel Ortega
    Praising Chavez who starved his people to death.

How much is enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Eulogising Castro
    ANC guard of honour for a man who's party has been the most destructive force in south africa since the brits arrived there
    Photos with Tyrant Daniel Ortega
    Praising Chavez who starved his people to death.

How much is enough

You might want to reread that post you replied to. The poster is claiming that Gerry Adams was part of the ANC guard of honour, not Michael D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Lear jet Michael is trying to explain himself on RTE, fair play to him for showing up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭touts

Michael D's mask slips: "Would the jet have been better off sitting the ground when I could have used it to make an important lecture".

Unless someone really screws up in the rest of the debate there is tomorrow's headlines.

MDH knocking it out of the Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭touts

I disagree. I think he did really poorly. Couldn't say how many times he used the jet. Kept referring to "important lectures". His only saving grace is there is no one else worth voting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

You might want to reread that post you replied to. The poster is claiming that Gerry Adams was part of the ANC guard of honour, not Michael D.

Don't think he was much bothered what post he was replying to. Happy enough just to repeat the same talking points.

I believe the term-of-art is "soapboxing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He's coming off badly.

Advertisement