Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah was wondering how long it'd take before Trump got mentioned. Tying it into a narrative of Gallagher as a Machiavellian candidate, combined with some tired 'Dublin bias' cliché is a nice twist though; I wasn't even talking newspapers, but the overall mood taken from other angles such as, yes, the dreaded Social Media. Sean Gallagher is yesterday's man. I don't pretend it to be scientific, but the internet is scarcely blowing up at the thought of Sean Gallagher.

Do YOU support Gallagher jmcc 'cos you're going to bat for him and giving way more credit than he deserves. I mean he's not even officially on the ballot yet IIRC, so even talking about him is just presumptuous. He's obviously biding his time but then that says to me even he's not sure the nation cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't see Gallagher doing as well this time. His chance was back in 2011 and fluffed it. If anything he will damage his reputation more.

The only real challenge I see to MdH is from the mystery SF candidate. If they choose a candidate wisely they could do well and even win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah was wondering how long it'd take before Trump got mentioned.
    Think that I mentioned Trump a few times.
    Tying it into a narrative of Gallagher as a Machiavellian candidate, combined with some tired 'Dublin bias' cliché is a nice twist though;
    The Dublin media, almost without exception, supported HRC. Look at the meltdowns after Trump's win.
    I wasn't even talking newspapers, but the overall mood taken from other angles such as, yes, the dreaded Social Media.
    The problem with using Social Media for this is that you will rarely see outside your own filter bubble. If you are basing it on the people you follow or who are friends, you are more likely to see opinions with which you agree.
    Sean Gallagher is yesterday's man. I don't pretend it to be scientific, but the internet is scarcely blowing up at the thought of Sean Gallagher.
    Gallagher has the kind of name recognition that others, apart from Higgins, do not have.
    Do YOU support Gallagher jmcc 'cos you're going to bat for him and giving way more credit than he deserves.
    No. I just find elections and what really happens in them to be quite fascinating. I also tend to be rather contrarian in that I don't actually support any candidate or political party. This kind of floating voter approach probably makes me an anomaly here.
    I mean he's not even officially on the ballot yet IIRC, so even talking about him is just presumptuous. He's obviously biding his time but then that says to me even he's not sure the nation cares.
    It is simply marketing and the whole process of building a momentum for a product. The will he/won't he speculation is working in his favour and it is taking the focus away from the other candidates.

Regards...jmcc

gandalf wrote: »
    The only real challenge I see to MdH is from the mystery SF candidate. If they choose a candidate wisely they could do well and even win it.
    And that's FF/FG's worst fear. FG has sent out a letter asking coucillors not to vote for candidate seeking a nomination. FF raised an investigation by the PAC in the Aras expenses. The whole Higgins as the FF/FG candidate plan seems to be going pearshaped. One of the Sundays said that Cullinane had mentioned that Liadh Ni Riada and John Finucane where the candidates under consideration.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

jmcc wrote: »

It is simply marketing and the whole process of building a momentum for a product. The will he/won't he speculation is working in his favour and it is taking the focus away from the other candidates.

Regards...jmcc

Is there really that much speculation going on? I'm not hearing it. I don't think people are that bothered either way if he runs or not.

• Advertisement

Pa8301 wrote: »
    Is there really that much speculation going on? I'm not hearing it. I don't think people are that bothered either way if he runs or not.
    Seems that in the coverage of the writ being signed on RTE, it mentions that Gallagher will make his announcement tomorrow. The mention of Gallagher in these reports is useful for his campaign.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hopefully councils won't nominate someone out of feeling they have to.

If all of the potential candidates are headbangers then they should refuse to endorse any of them.

Deafening silence from SF, second thoughts perhaps?

We may not have an election yet :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Do these people not understand how popular a man Michael D. is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And that's FF/FG's worst fear. FG has sent out a letter asking coucillors not to vote for candidate seeking a nomination. FF raised an investigation by the PAC in the Aras expenses. The whole Higgins as the FF/FG candidate plan seems to be going pearshaped. One of the Sundays said that Cullinane had mentioned that Liadh Ni Riada and John Finucane where the candidates under consideration.

Regards...jmcc

Liadh Ni Riada is an anti-vaxxer.

Finucane is unknown.

They are not exactly great candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

irishfeen wrote: »
    Do these people not understand how popular a man Michael D. is?

Of course they do - which means they are not running to win. SF are running to paint themselves as the Opposition to Higgins the Government candidate. They get to plaster the country with SF posters again, like the ones of Mary Lou in the 8th amendment campaign - it all builds credibility.

The various other people trying to run just like their names in the papers and the sound of their own voices.

• Advertisement

Hopefully councils won't nominate someone out of feeling they have to.

If all of the potential candidates are headbangers then they should refuse to endorse any of them.

Deafening silence from SF, second thoughts perhaps?

We may not have an election yet :)

One would hope but given a lot of the councils contain headbangers as well anything is possible.

SF are quiet because they said they would choose their candidate at a special meeting in September. They are probably playing the long game, seeing who they may be up against and their chance of winning before they commit a candidate and a budget. If the polls say that MdH is a shoe in why commit too much to the competition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Think that I mentioned Trump a few times.

I don't follow your posts religiously, but doesn't make the comparison any less reductionist or tedious; not every election is now some Trump'esque surprise waiting to happen, and the 2016 election was a more complex beast than some derivative narrative about media presence electing him. It undoubtedly gave him tonnes of free press, but the point being that you can't just transplant this reductionist thinking that Sean Gallagher is somehow engineering an apathetic shrug into a play for the Presidency.
    The problem with using Social Media for this is that you will rarely see outside your own filter bubble. If you are basing it on the people you follow or who are friends, you are more likely to see opinions with which you agree.

Again, presumption about my preferences, that I use filters or basing it off friends or followers; by and large, there is no groundswell on the internet, or elsewhere, of support for Gallagher - and the key point is by all accounts he arguably knows this, or else would have chased the nomination ages ago. He may yet announce it, but ockham's razor points to the man seeing if it's worth the hassle/money.

blanch152 wrote: »

Finucane is unknown.

They could use Mise Eire as the theme music for Ni Riada's campaign. Finucane would be more difficult for SF because he's unknown but then that could be an asset if they can spin it as him being a president for the future against yesterday's men like Higgins and Gallagher.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

blanch152 wrote: »

Finucane is unknown.

Sinn Fein are just looking for a platform to expose their politicians. In that respect, Finucane would be a very good candidate for Sinn Fein. He is young, articulate, no baggage and went within 2K votes of Nigel Dodds in the last Westminister elections in a safe unionist seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Pa8301 wrote: »
    Seems that in the coverage of the writ being signed on RTE, it mentions that Gallagher will make his announcement tomorrow. The mention of Gallagher in these reports is useful for his campaign.

Regards...jmcc
    But everyone thinks the candidates are farcical including Gallagher... Waste of money is the general view I'm hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Michael D's "health condition" that some posters keep alluding to was a knee problem that was successfully operated on in 2011.

Going by the nonsense that went on at Meath Co. Co yesterday (seriously, have a read of the whole thread, it was an absolute circus), it's not a medical that's needed from candidates, more likely a psychiatric evaluation and an exam on the contents of the constitution :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Marilyn Monroe wan sounds interesting

The Marilyn Monroe wan sounds interesting

I don't think interesting would be the word I'd use to describe her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Now that the writ has been moved, Leo has tried to deny democracy by not allowing FG councillors support any candidate.
    Why should one person decide who we vote for.

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    Now that the writ has been moved, Leo has tried to deny democracy by not allowing FG councillors support any candidate.
    Why should one person decide who we vote for.

The party are not required to nominate a person. All other parties and independents can support a nomination and there's enough to get other people nominated. So we'll likely have a SF candidate and maybe 2 additional candidates. The perpetual outrage in the thread is hilarious.

• Advertisement

batgoat wrote: »
    The party are not required to nominate a person. All other parties and independents can support a nomination and there's enough to get other people nominated. So we'll likely have a SF candidate and maybe 2 additional candidates. The perpetual outrage in the thread is hilarious.

Not required but, neither should local councillors be muzzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's this got to do with Varadkar, you think his government introduced this method of party nominations?

Not required but, neither should local councillors be muzzled.

If you're really that upset, you can choose to vote them out in the next election. I'd suspect this of all things with factor into very few people's decision making...

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's this got to do with Varadkar, you think his government introduced this method of party nominations?

what is needed is yet another refferendum , as things stand party leaders can decide whether there is a presidential election or note.

A referendum saying what?

Hurrache wrote: »
    A referendum saying what?

To change the constitution whereby the nomination of candidates for presidential elections is in the hands of party leaders.

Additional Gemma stuff coming out including her attack on the nephew of Fr Molloy. This isn't coming from the media, it's coming from the Fr Molloy campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

To change the constitution whereby the nomination of candidates for presidential elections is in the hands of party leaders.

Sorry but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Do you even know how the system works?

Read this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/presidential_election.html

• Advertisement

Gavin Duffy caught lying and being dishonest, read the thread.

https://twitter.com/fionamacky/status/1034130304640925696?s=19

Advertisement