Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Anyone just hear guy on Drivetime report talking about going for President-he mentioned someone called William Delaney. MAD stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Christ Higgins should wipe the floor with these chancers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Try_harder wrote: »
    Christ Higgins should wipe the floor with these chancers

The majority of them won`t get nominated. I would think there will be at most seven candidates by the closing date for nominations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know we had seven candidates last time out but I cant see that happening again this time. I think its going to be four candidates perhaps five- Higgins, Sinn Fein, Gallagher, Duffy and maybe Freeman. With FG councillors under orders not to back anyone, SF backing their own candidate and FF councillors plumping for Gallagher that leaves getting a County Council vote (not to mind 4 of them) very difficult.

Anyway the latest odds on Paddy Power-
    Higgins 1/5
    Gallagher 6/1
    Ni Riada 12/1
    Duffy 16/1
    oDocherty 25/1
    Freeman 33/1
    Casey 66/1
    Sharkey 100/1

When the contest gets underway proper and opinion polling begins I can see Gallagher projected to get circa 20%-23% of the vote in the early polls. That will mean Higgins odds should lengthen slightly to 2/7 which might be the best time to back him. With Gallagher right now 6/1 is as good as it gets, I reckon he will be 3/1 by the end of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is Kerr genuinely planning to run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Water John wrote: »
    I could see Casey being a stalking horse for Duffy but Gallagher wouldn't be part of the plan IWT.

From what I heard Duffy and Gallagher have been fighting like rats in a sack. Gallagher feels betrayed by Duffy running.

But I also am warming to the idea it’s a plot by the dragons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm sceptical, just a stunt for his show, I hope.

When the VAT rate was cut years ago to help the tourism sector, his Insomnia company was one of the companies not to pass on the deduction to their customers, hardly a man of the people. I don't know if at any point he did decide to pass it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't know if this has been reported on this thread yet. Gemma o Doherty claimed last week in Waterford(of which there is video) that Veronica guerin was killed by the state. I mean of all the ridiculous things to say that takes the biscuit. Isn't that a conspiracy theory of which ms O'Doherty says she doesn't believe in ?

It's easy to see now when she isn't on any airwaves that I know of. Imagine putting her on live radio ? She's accusing the state she wants to be head of state of murder.

Edit: yes it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's pretty shameful that the two parties running the state have abdicated on running a candidate in this mainly out of the fear of losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

At this stage you wouldnt know what to believe ! Sure maybe Richard Curran might throw his hat into the ring as well.
    From what I heard Duffy and Gallagher have been fighting like rats in a sack. Gallagher feels betrayed by Duffy running.

But I also am warming to the idea it’s a plot by the dragons.

But if both Gallagher and Duffy make the ballot then they are transfer friendly to each other so whoever of the two comes out on top stands at least some chance of beating Higgins. If Gallagher is to actually beat Higgins here it will likely happen on the back of transfers from Duffy. Strategically it makes sense for both of them to be on the ballot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been reported on this thread yet. Gemma o Doherty claimed last week in Waterford(of which there is video) that Veronica guerin was killed by the state. I mean of all the ridiculous things to say that takes the biscuit. Isn't that a conspiracy theory of which ms O'Doherty says she doesn't believe in ?

It's easy to see now when she isn't on any airwaves that I know of. Imagine putting her on live radio ? She's accusing the state she wants to be head of state of murder.

Edit: yes it has.

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1035287828484243456

Same meeting also had those Regret (anti-vax) headbangers in attendance: https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1035290062127288322

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's pretty shameful that the two parties running the state have abdicated on running a candidate in this mainly out of the fear of losing.

Why? If they genuinely support Miggledy as president then is it not better for them to state that (afaik they both have already) instead of playing politics.

I think its more that they don't have a quality candidate anyway, there's no point in nominating for the sake of it, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its also an issue of finance. They want funds for a GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The media would have you believe that the youth love Mickey d

Well doesn't this prove it beyond doubt:

I'm surprised this ditty wasn't revived for his first presidential run. Or perhaps I'm not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yawn, so predictable.

Where is the evidence that they are not running a candidate out of the fear of losing? A link would be good.

Last I checked, they were backing Higgins. Now I think they are wrong to do so, and I won't be voting for him, but I really can't stand silly propaganda like your post.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yawn, so predictable.

Where is the evidence that they are not running a candidate out of the fear of losing? A link would be good.

Last I checked, they were backing Higgins. Now I think they are wrong to do so, and I won't be voting for him, but I really can't stand silly propaganda like your post.
    blanch152 wrote:
    Higgins has actually caused a lot of damage to humanity.

That kind of propaganda?

These two parties tried to stop Higgins being elected last time out with their own candidates.

They thought no-one else would run, weighed in behind Higgins and now have to whip their councillors into not supporting anyone else. Massive misjudgment imo based on fear, (fear of not being able to unseat Higgins.)

My opinion, never pretended it was anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Its also an issue of finance. They want funds for a GE.

FG blew a cool half million last time out on Gay Mitchell and didn't get enough votes to get any expenses back. Hard to see who they'd put forward who'd have a reasonable chance this time.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mary McAleese stood for a second term in 2004 unopposed so it's not unprecedented to allow a President who has done a good job continue on in the role. This is another non-issue, if these parties don't want to contest it then they shouldn't especially if they think the incumbent has done a good job.

gandalf wrote: »
    Mary McAleese stood for a second term in 2004 unopposed so it's not unprecedented to allow a President who has done a good job continue on in the role. This is another non-issue, if these parties don't want to contest it then they shouldn't especially if they think the incumbent has done a good job.

Well, I never claimed it was unprecedented.

It smacks of the two parties coming up with a strategy between them to be honest, and thinking everyone will follow suit.

It will be good to watch when FG councilors inevitably break ranks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well, I never claimed it was unprecedented.

It smacks of the two parties coming up with a strategy between them to be honest, and thinking everyone will follow suit.

It will be good to watch when FG councilors inevitably break ranks. :)

It smacks of the two parties realising the incumbent has done a good job and not having anyone who could challenge him tbh. Add in the hosing FG took in the last one and the loss they made it's not surprising they aren't running anyone. Remember we could have an election at any time given the makeup of the Dail. It's one crisis away from a ballot so they are saving their money for that because that is where the power is (not the fluff that is the president)!

As for breaking ranks, it will be the FF Councillors and even a few TD's for their boy Gallagher who will probably break ranks. It also allows them give two fingers to Michael Martin whose days as FF leader are probably numbered as well.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    It smacks of the two parties realising the incumbent has done a good job and not having anyone who could challenge him tbh. Add in the hosing FG took in the last one and the loss they made it's not surprising they aren't running anyone. Remember we could have an election at any time given the makeup of the Dail. It's one crisis away from a ballot so they are saving their money for that because that is where the power is (not the fluff that is the president)!

As for breaking ranks, it will be the FF Councillors and even a few TD's for their boy Gallagher who will probably break ranks. It also allows them give two fingers to Michael Martin whose days as FF leader are probably numbered as well.

You think none of the prospective candidates don't have support within FG?
    I would bet there will be quite a few FGers who won't be able to help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just said it was a prank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Just said it was a prank

He said he was running for the Aras, and right past it when he does the 2019 marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Veronica Guerin's brother has commented on Gemma O'Doherty's behaviour...

https://twitter.com/jguerin11/status/1035845211350593537

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

batgoat wrote: »
    Veronica Guerin's brother has commented on Gemma O'Doherty's behaviour...

https://twitter.com/jguerin11/status/1035845211350593537

Good on him. Call her out without delay for the nonsensical eejit she is. And its not just any relative of any victim, Jimmy Guerin has been deeply involved in the truth and justice of his late sister's case, for both her sake and the family she left behind. O'Doherty really is gone full retard with her affiliations and comments in recent years. It sullies the office that her bid for a nomination is given any oxygen whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

If Freeman's election brought mental health to the fore, considering its almost epidemic proportions, that would be a good thing. Think she would do a good job.

can she not do that as a senator and create legislation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Good on him. Call her out without delay for the nonsensical eejit she is. And its not just any relative of any victim, Jimmy Guerin has been deeply involved in the truth and justice of his late sister's case, for both her sake and the family she left behind. O'Doherty really is gone full retard with her affiliations and comments in recent years. It sullies the office that her bid for a nomination is given any oxygen whatsoever.

is she going to get a hearing at Fingal County Council?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

can she not do that as a senator and create legislation

I suppose the difference is that as president she'd have a more prominent role in changing attitudes and opinions, whereas as an independent senator her influence is pretty small...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

is she going to get a hearing at Fingal County Council?

They're having candidates in on Sept 11th according to this. I would go along just to watch Jimmy Guerin go through her for a shortcut.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    I suppose the difference is that as president she'd have a more prominent role in changing attitudes and opinions, whereas as an independent senator her influence is pretty small...

If it is at 'epidemic' proportions then the government is not dealing with it. And she is signing herself up to be controlled by the government.
    Sorry - not very plausible motivation.

Advertisement