Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

dulpit wrote: »
    I suppose the difference is that as president she'd have a more prominent role in changing attitudes and opinions, whereas as an independent senator her influence is pretty small...

The senate has generated a fair amount of legislation, one on Mental Health would be easily backed. What can she do as president? Makes no sense to me.

And what has Gallagher done with his concerns for the people of Ireland in the last 7 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,423 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Try_harder wrote: »

And what has Gallagher done with his concerns for the people of Ireland in the last 7 years?

He spent most of it trying to get an apology. Or in other words, trying to shut the stable door after the horse had bolted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I suppose the difference is that as president she'd have a more prominent role in changing attitudes and opinions, whereas as an independent senator her influence is pretty small...
    she did a lot more to influence the situation by setting up pieta already then she could do as president

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Try_harder wrote: »
    The senate has generated a fair amount of legislation, one on Mental Health would be easily backed. What can she do as president? Makes no sense to me.

He sued them so that he could teach RTE a lesson.

jm08 wrote: »
    He sued them so that he could teach RTE a lesson.

Gallagher 'settled' his claim against RTE for being unfair.

What sunk Gallagher was what he said after the tweet was read out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Brother of Veronica Guerin: Gemma O'Doherty's comments on her murder were 'disgusting'

I think this speaks for itself. Gemma will always pick up a handful of votes from those that believe everything around them is a conspiracy, but she is being exposed big time in recent days on a number of fronts. Completely unfit to be President. She has also destroyed what little bit of credibility she had left. I won't believe a word she says on anything after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could someone clarify something for me? Has any candidate got official confirmation they have enough backing to appear on the ballot and go up against MDH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

flazio wrote: »
    Could someone clarify something for me? Has any candidate got official confirmation they have enough backing to appear on the ballot and go up against MDH?

Nope. So far it's only MDH and the mystery Sinn Fein candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

flazio wrote: »

Well the SF runner is guaranteed to be on the ballot because the party has enough TDs/Senators to nominate a candidate (and possibly two actually)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

is she going to get a hearing at Fingal County Council?

They're having candidates in on Sept 11th according to this. I would go along just to watch Jimmy Guerin go through her for a shortcut.

Gemma isn’t seeking a nomination through the council route. She doesn’t have the courage to go before a public meeting to stand over her idle rantings on Twitter.

She is looking for a nomination through the Oireachtas which she knows is impossible to obtain. She knows she will not be nominated. This is all about Gemma getting some headlines for Gemma. Self-promotion. It seems to be backfiring spectacularly all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Gemma isn’t seeking a nomination through the council route. She doesn’t have the courage to go before a public meeting to stand over her idle rantings on Twitter.

She is looking for a nomination through the Oireachtas which she knows is impossible to obtain. She knows she will not be nominated. This is all about Gemma getting some headlines for Gemma. Self-promotion. It seems to be backfiring spectacularly all the same.

she has spoken at some council meetings but yes its just about self -publicity for her https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/council-hears-from-duffy-freeman-o-doherty-and-marilyn-monroe-impersonator-1.3608998?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fcouncil-hears-from-duffy-freeman-o-doherty-and-marilyn-monroe-impersonator-1.3608998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Her Twitter followers lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not backfiring if her objective is to carve out a role for herself as Ireland's Alex Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Nope. So far it's only MDH and the mystery Sinn Fein candidate.

Jokes aside, does anyone know who the SF candidate is likely to be, or rumoured to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Either Liadh ni Riada or John Finucane is whats being put out there. They are having a *think-in* this week so Id expect them to announce it by Friday. They might even not run anyone at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Guaranteed SF will run a candidate. Political revelance and with FG/FF leaving a political vacuum, it's a great opportunity for them.

I think they will run one in the end but the foot dragging is not helping whoever the candidate is. I reckon John Finucane entering the race would make things interesting, in his first ever election in north Belfast he polled 19,000 odd votes. This was just 2,000 behind DUPs Nigel Dodds which was quite an achievement and could only have happened by Finucane winning votes from across the divide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think they will run one in the end but the foot dragging is not helping whoever the candidate is. I reckon John Finucane entering the race would make things interesting, in his first ever election in north Belfast he polled 19,000 odd votes. This was just 2,000 behind DUPs Nigel Dodds which was quite an achievement and could only have happened by Finucane winning votes from across the divide.

He is unknown in the South, and that election was in a different jurisdiction. While he might get some wide support, he would also lose support as a parachute candidate and many people will just not vote for a Northerner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

This was just 2,000 behind DUPs Nigel Dodds which was quite an achievement and could only have happened by Finucane winning votes from across the divide.

I think Finucane will certainly beat the DUP candidate in this election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mistrryman

Has Norris declared his intentions yet?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    He is unknown in the South, and that election was in a different jurisdiction. While he might get some wide support, he would also lose support as a parachute candidate and many people will just not vote for a Northerner.

Only petty people would refuse to vote for someone from the North. Believe it or not since the Good Friday Agreement most Irish people have moved on from this kind of tribalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Only petty people would refuse to vote for someone from the North. Believe it or not since the Good Friday Agreement most Irish people have moved on from this kind of tribalism.

I think you are wrong. Mary McAleese, a previous Northerner elected President, had substanital ties and a working career in the South. Finucane has none, he has no public profile to speak of.

If SF were to run a decent candidate, they could poll over 25% first preferences and get a substantial boost, with the two nonentities they are currently considering, that is a very long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Mistrryman wrote: »
    Has Norris declared his intentions yet?

It’s a bit of a contradiction for a unionist to become head of a republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No way will Norris run again. The last time left him with large debts and he has health issues.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

many people will just not vote for a Northerner.

Didn't do Mary McAleese any harm.

Many people won't vote SF regardless of who the candidate is.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

John Cushnahan and Austin Currie were both elected in the Republic. Wouldn't see being from NI as an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If SF were to run a decent candidate, they could poll over 25% first preferences

SF could nominate a turnip and it'd get 20% of the vote, their supporters will vote for whoever they are told to vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mistrryman

The 3 dragons trying to run is making a joke out of the presidency

You'd never see it anywhere else

It's.obvious they're only foot soldiers for Envelope Gallagher

But their key purpose of SF should be, to broaden their appeal.

• Advertisement

Word is we will have our first nomination today from Meath.

Already FG councilors are said (News at One RTE) to be planning to back Gavin Duffy if FF nominate Gallagher.

Hilarious stuff. FG in open revolt against HQ instructions.

Advertisement