Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein must be hoping that Gemma gets a nomination. That means their candidate Liadh won't be the maddest anti-vaxxer in the race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein must be hoping that Gemma gets a nomination. That means their candidate Liadh won't be the maddest anti-vaxxer in the race.

In fairness what council would be crazy/gullible enough to nominate her?

In fairness what council would be crazy/gullible enough to nominate her?

Dublin City Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

She isn't an anti-vaxxer according to this statement.

Sinn F MEP Liadh Niada has dismissed as "utter nonsense" claims she is opposed to vaccinations.

The Ireland South MEP was responding to claims in a newspaper that she was against vaccinations due to comments made in a radio interview in 2016.
    "It is utter nonsense to claim that I am in any way opposed to vaccinations," she said.

"During a radio interview in 2016 I clearly outlined that my issue was a lack of information coming from the HSE. A lot of concern and confusion around the HPV vaccination was going on at the time resulting in a pick up of the vaccine of just 51% and there was not nearly enough information forthcoming from the HSE to clarify matters or soothe the concerns of parents.

"So there is no confusion, let me be absolutely clear. Vaccines are a crucial part of modern life and it is only because of them that we now enjoy the greatest life expectancy in human history.

"I would, of course, encourage all parents to get their children fully vaccinated, including with the HPV vaccine and indeed there is recent research saying that this particular vaccine should be extended to boys, which I would also support.”

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/50550

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,426 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jm08 wrote: »

Sinn F MEP Liadh Niada has dismissed as "utter nonsense" claims she is opposed to vaccinations.

The Ireland South MEP was responding to claims in a newspaper that she was against vaccinations due to comments made in a radio interview in 2016.
    "It is utter nonsense to claim that I am in any way opposed to vaccinations," she said.

"During a radio interview in 2016 I clearly outlined that my issue was a lack of information coming from the HSE. A lot of concern and confusion around the HPV vaccination was going on at the time resulting in a pick up of the vaccine of just 51% and there was not nearly enough information forthcoming from the HSE to clarify matters or soothe the concerns of parents.

"So there is no confusion, let me be absolutely clear. Vaccines are a crucial part of modern life and it is only because of them that we now enjoy the greatest life expectancy in human history.

"I would, of course, encourage all parents to get their children fully vaccinated, including with the HPV vaccine and indeed there is recent research saying that this particular vaccine should be extended to boys, which I would also support.”

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/50550

Campaign hasn't even started and this candidate hasn't been even confirmed and the dirt campaign has begun in earnest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Released by SF in response to her making an arse of herself.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sf-mep-in-line-for-run-at-ras-ruled-out-hpv-vaccination-for-her-daughter-37166082.html
    A potential Sinn F nominee for the presidency is embroiled in controversy over an interview in which she raised fears about the HPV vaccine.

Liadh Niada revealed during a 2016 interview that she had stopped one of her daughters getting the injection, which is aimed at preventing cervical cancer.

The MEP told a radio station that she had spoken to medical professionals and they "didn't inspire huge confidence".

In recent years, health officials have been fighting back against claims - made largely on social media - that the vaccine should be avoided.

Uptake plummeted dramatically to just 51pc in 2016 but is on the rise again following a successful awareness campaign by the HSE.

The HPV vaccine is approved by the World Health Organisation and prevents seven out of 10 cervical cancers. It works best when given to girls aged 12 and 13.

In September 2016, Ms Niada received a note from her child's school, asking for permission to allow the vaccine be administered.

Initially, she signed the form but later sent back a letter, asking that her daughter not receive the injection.

She posted her concerns on Facebook and later went on Cork's 96FM to discuss the issue as a parent.

"The problem was I was given 24 hours to sign it and pass it on to the school. So I signed it because I discussed it with my husband and thought you're kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't," she said.

Ms Niada told listeners that the HSE had not provided enough information about the possible side-effects. She continued: "I was unaware of the amount of girls that have had negative side-effects from this. So it was really from other constituents talking to me (that she found out)."

"I spoke to various medical professionals, who would be friends of mine, and they didn't inspire huge confidence. They didn't really. This was on a personal basis and I'm not politicising this in any way."

However, the Sinn F representative for Ireland South added: "You see the HSE, it is in a bit of shambles. You kind of question how much can you trust that this is 100pc safe. I don't think you probably say that about anything.

"It's better if parents are fully informed about all the facts before making that personal choice."

Mention of the interview resurfaced online in recent days after it had emerged that Ms Niada is the frontrunner to be the Sinn F candidate for the presidential election.

Reacting to criticism, the mother of three insisted that she had "never actually said I was against the vaccine".

She added: "I was clearly voicing my concern as a parent, not as an MEP, and that was the premise of the interview."

How much more information does she expect the HSE to provide: https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/schoolprog/hpv/

Campaign hasn't even started and this candidate hasn't been even confirmed and the dirt campaign has begun in earnest.

I don't know much about her, but I did hear her being interviewed one Saturday morning (I think it was marian's show) and she didn't come across as someone who would be anti-vac. Blanch has made that comment a few times, so that is why I actually looked it up. She did come across very well in the interview I listened to, so I think she might do OK.

That link says nothing about side affects. She is right when she says the info is poor. It suggests you speak to your GP / pharmacist and she says she was only given a day to sign it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That link says nothing about side affects. She is right when she says the info is poor. It suggests you speak to your GP / pharmacist and she says she was only given a day to sign it.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/schoolprog/hpv/faqs/

Section 4 : Possible Side Effects
    http://www.hpra.ie/docs/default-source/vaccine-pils/gardasil-pil.pdf?sfvrsn=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it does, its under the bar HPV Vaccine Safety.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/schoolprog/hpv/hpv-vaccine-safety/

Riada seems all over the place on this. I'd say you'd find it hard to get a mainstream medical professional to discount this vaccine.

• Advertisement

I don't know much about her, but I did hear her being interviewed one Saturday morning (I think it was marian's show) and she didn't come across as someone who would be anti-vac. Blanch has made that comment a few times, so that is why I actually looked it up. She did come across very well in the interview I listened to, so I think she might do OK.

She has never clarified whether her daughters were subsequently vaccinated.

If you listen to the radio interview on 96FM, she is clearly playing to the anti-vax gallery. Not a bit surprising that SF are muddying the waters now.

It is a simple thing to state whether and when her daughters got the vaccine.

She has never clarified whether her daughters were subsequently vaccinated.

If you listen to the radio interview on 96FM, she is clearly playing to the anti-vax gallery. Not a bit surprising that SF are muddying the waters now.

It is a simple thing to state whether and when her daughters got the vaccine.

You want to drag her daughter and her medical history into the campaign? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    I can't wait to see how this plays out with Gallagher nominated again.

Has he tricks up his sleeve or do the other dragons have a role somewhere?

Has to be said, SG appears to be as dumb as a box of rocks

I'd say 'I wuz robbed the last time' will be his main card. Agreed that he doesn't seem a towering intellect but that didn't put people off in 2011 (although his inability to think on his feet at a crucial moment did undeniably contribute to his eventual defeat)

I'd say 'I wuz robbed the last time' will be his main card.

If he does that then all the damaging stuff will come out again and maybe some new stuff. Risky.

If he does that then all the damaging stuff will come out again and maybe some new stuff. Risky.

Well he needs to get out ahead of all that by putting out a detailed account of his involvement with FF, if he hasn't already, and let his competitors, the media and the voters make what they will of it. If he had done that at the start of the last contest he would certainly have avoided the Frontline fiasco and I'd say might still have won, although it would have weakened his appeal to non-FF voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Well he needs to get out ahead of all that by putting out a detailed account of his involvement with FF, if he hasn't already, and let his competitors, the media and the voters make what they will of it. If he had done that at the start of the last contest he would certainly have avoided the Frontline fiasco and I'd say might still have won, although it would have weakened his appeal to non-FF voters.

Eh, no - FF were at their absolute lowest ebb, and people were ready to send Bertie and Cowen to the Hague. Gallagher was correct that the only way he had a chance was to hide his FF leadership position.

A FF handler clearly told him "Don't mention FF, if it comes up minimise it, and for feck's sake don't talk about Galway tents or brown envelopes!"

And Seanie said "FF, tent, envelope: got it!"

The rest is history:

That audience gasp at the word "envelope" cost him the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You want to drag her daughter and her medical history into the campaign? :confused:
    She did that by telling that stupid story about "being informed" as a guise to distract from her conspiracy theory that the HSE is hiding information about negative side-effects of the HPV vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a candidate displays a tendency, and even a pride, towards disregarding expert opinion and "making up their own mind", then that indicates an unsuitability for the role. It's fairly irrelevant in what sphere this ignorance manifests itself. If a candidate came out and said that he never wore his seatbelt "cos sure amn't I a great driver", likewise it would be clear that he's a moron and unsuitable for the position.

One could argue that one of the core competencies of the role is the ability to ask for, digest and act upon, expert opinion. Someone who ignores it and makes up their own mind has no place in the Áras.

Eh, no - FF were at their absolute lowest ebb, and people were ready to send Bertie and Cowen to the Hague. Gallagher was correct that the only way he had a chance was to hide his FF leadership position.

A FF handler clearly told him "Don't mention FF, if it comes up minimise it, and for feck's sake don't talk about Galway tents or brown envelopes!"

And Seanie said "FF, tent, envelope: got it!"

The rest is history:

That audience gasp at the word "envelope" cost him the election.

Okay you're probably right but at the very least he needed one of the said handlers to sit him down in a room and say "Right Sean we need chapter and verse on your involvement with FF so we can prep you to ensure you can cope with any question they throw at you on the subject and make sure you don't get caught out in a provable lie." 'No recollection'is always a useful tactic in dealing with tricky questions, but you need to be quick on your feet to deploy it in the heat of the moment, which poor Sean clearly isn't...

Water John wrote: »
    Well it does, its under the bar HPV Vaccine Safety.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/schoolprog/hpv/hpv-vaccine-safety/

Riada seems all over the place on this. I'd say you'd find it hard to get a mainstream medical professional to discount this vaccine.

Well, she clearly agrees when she says this in her statement:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well, she clearly agrees when she says this in her statement:

Conflicts heavily with her previous statements, until I see her say the words "I was wrong" then im not convinced

Okay you're probably right but at the very least he needed one of the said handlers to sit him down in a room and say "Right Sean we need chapter and verse on your involvement with FF so we can prep you to ensure you can cope with any question they throw at you on the subject and make sure you don't get caught out in a provable lie."

It wasn't doable - he only resigned from FF's governing body, the Ard Comhairle, in January that year. Pretending in October that you don't remember being on the central committee that runs Fianna Fail the previous January is simply not credible.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Conflicts heavily with her previous statements, until I see her say the words "I was wrong" then im not convinced

She has every right to question anything to do with the health of her children and as an elected representative question them on behalf of her constituents if they so request.

She obviously has her answer now and is supporting the vacinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,201 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She has every right to question anything to do with the health of her children

As an individual, she does
    and as an elected representative question them on behalf of her constituents if they so request.

As an elected representative she should not be going around spouting misinformation and stirring up anti-vax sentiment simply so she can get a dig in at the HSE.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

As an individual, she does

As an elected representative she should not be going around spouting misinformation and stirring up anti-vax sentiment simply so she can get a dig in at the HSE.

So she is the only one that doesn't trust the HSE completely?
    The HSE deserves every dig it gets.

So she is the only one that doesn't trust the HSE completely?
    The HSE deserves every dig it gets.

When it comes to procedural and bureaucratic issue yes but not when it comes to actual real medical science, questioning that especially as a public representative on nothing more than hear say and fallacious reasoning is irresponsible and incredibly dangerous for the public's health.

VinLieger wrote: »
    When it comes to procedural and bureaucratic issue yes but not when it comes to actual real medical science, questioning that especially as a public representative on nothing more than hear say and fallacious reasoning is irresponsible and incredibly dangerous for the public's health.

This article here will give you the context of why there were question marks over it. It was questioned at an Oireachtas Health Hearing and a documentary on TV3 where parents discussed the side effects their children had experienced.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hpv-vaccine-4-2697247-Apr2016/

Its hardly surprising that a public representative who has children of that age would get involved and seek reassurances.

This article here will give you the context of why there were question marks over it. It was questioned at an Oireachtas Health Hearing and a documentary on TV3 where parents discussed the side effects their children had experienced.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hpv-vaccine-4-2697247-Apr2016/

Its hardly surprising that a public representative who has children of that age would get involved and seek reassurances.

No the reasons there were question marks over it is due to the conspiracy theorist, anti-vax, fear mongers in regret not understanding that correlation does not equal causation and unfortunately Ni Riada and other representatives chose to listen to them simply because they were the loudest most belligerent voice in the room at the time instead of the the experts and massive weight of evidence proving regret were wrong,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The election is hyped up beyond all reason. I smell a dragon PR campaign. If these people had any real civic interest they'd be running for an office with the power to do something. It's all waffle. If I were Higgins I'd leave them to it, or merely laugh them off in debates.

• Advertisement

The election is hyped up beyond all reason.

Nonsense, there was a lot more hype last time.

There was a fuss about who FG would nominate: Pat Cox, Mairead McGuinness, Avril Doyle and the winner, Gay Mitchell. It was no secret that Enda wanted Cox and did not get his way.

Labour picked Higgins ahead of Fergus Finlay and Kathleen O'Meara.

There was excitement about FF nominating Gaybo.

None of that news has happened this time since FG, FF and Labour are all backing Higgins.

By September last time, Norris had canvassed the Oireachteas, gotten a bunch of nominations, had 3 of them pull out, quit the race and then rejoined it via the CC route.

By the end of September, 4 candidates had secured council nominations.

This years election is a sideshow, since we all know Higgins will wipe the floor with all comers.

Advertisement