Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,619 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I also see from the RTE News today that an apology to Maria Cahill is also rearing its head. It will be a question for any SF candidate unless Mary Lou deals completely with it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Seems to me that like a lot of people, myself as a parent included, that she had concerns about this, and having accessed the information, she has affirmed her belief that there are no concerns and is actually advocating for wider use of vaccines.

I am struggling to see a problem here unless you have already decided that she is either a liar or has an ulterior motive to see 'girls die of cancer' as one poster claimed these anti vaxxing groups want.

Back deliberately misquoting posts again? It’s been explained, yet you repeat the lie. :rolleyes:

The only people with “concerns” were conspiracy theorist anti-vaccine grips.

Should O’Riada go on national radio repeating the “concerns” of the chemtrails fanatics as well? Or maybe become an advocate for the 9/11 truthers whilst she’s at it?

Public representives are supposed to have the wit to do more than mindlessly repeat every conspiracy theory that comes across their desk - seemingly O’Riada wasn’t capable of that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

VinLieger wrote: »
    I fully believe she would lie about her real opinion on the matter however lying about a fact regarding her daughters health status I would hope for even a SF member would be a step too far to win votes. Are you suggesting she would do something that low?

I have no reason to believe she would lie about anything but if you don't take her word that she now fully supports HPV vaccination I don't see why you should take her word regarding whether or not her daughter had been vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Seems to me that like a lot of people, myself as a parent included, that she had concerns about this, and having accessed the information, she has affirmed her belief that there are no concerns and is actually advocating for wider use of vaccines.

"I spoke to various medical professionals, who would be friends of mine, and they didn't inspire huge confidence."

She did not accept the opinions of medical professionals.

In making an allegation that the HSE was hiding negative side-effects: "I was unaware of the amount of girls that have had negative side-effects from this."

The side-effects were published by the HSE; they did not publish the conspiracy theories which Ni Riada seems to be referring to for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,427 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blackwhite wrote: »
    Back deliberately misquoting posts again? It’s been explained, yet you repeat the lie. :rolleyes:

The only people with “concerns” were conspiracy theorist anti-vaccine grips.

Should O’Riada go on national radio repeating the “concerns” of the chemtrails fanatics as well? Or maybe become an advocate for the 9/11 truthers whilst she’s at it?

Public representives are supposed to have the wit to do more than mindlessly repeat every conspiracy theory that comes across their desk - seemingly O’Riada wasn’t capable of that

Many kinds of people expressed 'concerns' about this and publicly raised the concerns of ordinary citizens.
    Here is a Senator doing it on behalf of that noted 'anti vaxxing' party Fianna Fail:
    Fianna Fáil has called for a review of suspected cases of serious side effects from the HPV vaccine, after Senator Darragh O’Brien raised concerns about reported cases of severe side effects from the vaccine.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/case-studies-concerns-over-cervical-cancer-vaccine-in-ireland-342740.html

Fine Gael is not unblemished either:
    We have learned that 13 other politicians raised issues with the drug including Fine Gael TDs Phelan, former Ceann Comhairle Sean Barrett and Tony McLoughlin.

What a bunch of conspiracy theorists and Anti Vaxxers we have running the country ..eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I have no reason to believe she would lie about anything but if you don't take her word that she now fully supports HPV vaccination I don't see why you should take her word regarding whether or not her daughter had been vaccinated.

Politicians never lie then? I have every reason to believe she would lie because thats what all politicians regularly do, also anti vaxxers are known to be pretty liberal with the "truth" as well.

I would believe her if she said her daughter had been vaccinated because unlike you I understand theres a pretty stark difference in lying about your beliefs to gain votes and lying about your childs health to gain votes. Lets not forget she used her childs health status originally to garner attention on this so its her fault her child is even involved in this to begin with.

Many kinds of people expressed 'concerns' about this and publicly raised the concerns of ordinary citizens.
    Here is a Senator doing it on behalf of that noted 'anti vaxxing' party Fianna Fail:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/case-studies-concerns-over-cervical-cancer-vaccine-in-ireland-342740.html

What a bunch of conspiracy theorists and Anti Vaxxers we have running the country ..eh? :rolleyes:

Every one of the cranks should be called out for it as well. Most people aren’t disciples who refuse to criticse anything related to one political party, and will rightly call out anti-vaxxer BS no matter who spouts it.

Thankfully, none of the others are in the mix for the presidency though - O’Riada seemingly is, which is why both her and Gemma O’D need to be called out right now for their despicable behaviour

Every one of the cranks should be called out for it as well. Most people aren’t disciples who refuse to criticse anything related to one political party, and will rightly call out anti-vaxxer BS no matter who spouts it.

Thankfully, none of the others are in the mix for the presidency though - O’Riada seemingly is, which is why both her and Gemma O’D need to be called out right now for their despicable behaviour

Good to know that you think the FF party, in it's entirety are anti vaxxers and that senior members of FG are 'cranks' because they do what most political reps do and raise their own concerns and those of their constituents.

Good to know that you think the FF party, in it's entirety are anti vaxxers and that senior members of FG are 'cranks' because they do what most political reps do and raise their own concerns and those of their constituents.

More misqouting? Seriously, it's parody stuff at this stage

It'd be great to see a post that doesn't try to strawman what others are saying :rolleyes:

they do what most political reps do and raise their own concerns and those of their constituents.

Are you seriously trying to argue that a public representative should just raise each and every concern, without applying any critical thinking or research of their own first?
    Maybe Liadh will be doing a radio interview about chemtrails soon

More misqouting? Seriously, it's parody stuff at this stage

It'd be great to see a post that doesn't try to strawman what others are saying :rolleyes:

You said anyone raising concerns should be called out as cranks.

Every one of the cranks should be called out for it as well.

The FF party raised concerns as did senior members of FG as the links show.

Where is the misquote there? You either think they are 'cranks' or you don't.

Are you seriously trying to argue that a public representative should just raise each and every concern, without applying any critical thinking or research of their own first?
    Maybe Liadh will be doing a radio interview about chemtrails soon

Every public rep is duty bound to raise concerns, if genuine, yes. And they should be willing to change their minds.

• Advertisement

The FF party raised concerns as did senior members of FG as the links show.
    You know full well that the link does not show anything of the sort. The link shows that Liz Dunphy of the Examiner has taken a statement by Senator Darragh O’Brien (clearly an anti-vaxxer crank) and extrapolated, without any supporting evidence, that this is the position of the party.

Proof of one thing: bad journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

You know full well that the link does not show anything of the sort. The link shows that Liz Dunphy of the Examiner has taken a statement by Senator Darragh O’Brien (clearly an anti-vaxxer crank) and extrapolated, without any supporting evidence, that this is the position of the party.

Darragh O'Brien represents Fianna Fail. This is the closest that they have to an official position and should be assumed to be Gallagher's position unless he refutes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Darragh O'Brien represents Fianna Fail. This is the closest that they have to an official position and should be assumed to be Gallagher's position unless he refutes it.

That’s some leap!!

More than just Darragh raising 'concerns'.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/cervical-cancer-scandal-more-smear-12532161

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

VinLieger wrote: »

I would believe her if she said her daughter had been vaccinated because unlike you I understand theres a pretty stark difference in lying about your beliefs to gain votes and lying about your childs health to gain votes.

Well can I borrow your evidently comprehensive and infallible guide to the subjects politicians conceivably may and may not lie about some time, must come in handy...

Ugh... link dump and to a red-top! Having quietly and secretly opened that link, I'm none-the-wiser as to what your point is here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am struggling to see a problem here unless you have already decided that she is either a liar or has an ulterior motive to see 'girls die of cancer' as one poster claimed these anti vaxxing groups want.

I see you are including yourself in those that put facebook memes above scientific findings.

I hope you weren't stupid enough to deny one of your children the vaccine.

Looking at the list of politicians you provided, you seem to have inadvertently stumbled on a method for picking a group with the lowest average IQ in the Dail.

How many of those eejits are now running for President?

Ugh... link dump and to a red-top! Having quietly and secretly opened that link, I'm none-the-wiser as to what your point is here?

My point is my original one; plenty of people across all parties 'raised concerns' and only a sensationalist would say that senior members of FF and FG are 'anti vaxxers'.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I see you are including yourself in those that put facebook memes above scientific findings.

I hope you weren't stupid enough to deny one of your children the vaccine.

I was concerned enough to look for information. A HSE PDF was not really accessible to me funnily enough.

My children's medical history is private and none of your business.

• Advertisement

I was concerned enough to look for information. A HSE PDF was not really accessible to me funnily enough.

My children's medical history is private and none of your business.

Like Liadh, you are the one who brought your children into it, and then try to hide behind them.

Has Gallagher come out and rejected Darragh O'Brien (Fianna Fail spokesman on vaccination) concerns re HPV? If not why not.

Like Liadh, you are the one who brought your children into it, and then try to hide behind them.
    This is getting super creepy and has nothing to do with the election. You really seem unhealthily interested in Francie's children.

Has Gallagher come out and rejected Darragh O'Brien (Fianna Fail spokesman on vaccination) concerns re HPV? If not why not.

What???? Sean Gallagher, like Liadh Ni Rian, only has to come clean on his own views about vaccinations.
    This is getting super creepy and has nothing to do with the election. You really seem unhealthily interested in Francie's children.

Sorry, Francie brought them up, I asked a question, he refused to answer it, that is all. If someone adopts the "Hit me with the child in my arms" attitude, that is an easy hiding place.

What???? Sean Gallagher, like Liadh Ni Rian, only has to come clean on his own views about vaccinations.
    That's right. He should make a statement on the matter. Why hasn't he.

I mentioned my children in relation to concerns I had. I did not mention their private medical history.

My point is my original one; plenty of people across all parties 'raised concerns' and only a sensationalist would say that senior members of FF and FG are 'anti vaxxers'.
    Perhaps you posted the wrong link then?

I never realised that vaccination fell under Housing, Planning and Local Government. Learn something new every day.

EDIT: Turns out he wasn't spokesperson for anything when he made that comment.

Perhaps you posted the wrong link then?

Apologies. I did indeed.
    Was meant to be this.

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/04/03/macsharry-we-respect-the-experts-but-cant-ignore-concerns-on-hpv-vaccine/

• Advertisement

Another Presidential candidate to scratch off the list..........oh...........he's not running.............Why are we dragging other politicians into a discussion about the anti-vaxxer views of Presidential candidates?

Advertisement