Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That's right. He should make a statement on the matter. Why hasn't he.

Ni Riadh and Gemma are being asked these questions as they previously made anti vax statements, to my knowledge gallagher never has done similar so why would he need to make a statement?

Going by your logic gallagher should be making statements refuting his support of flat earthers and climate change deniers despite never having come out in support of them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Fianna Fail TD in Sligo Leitrim Marc MacSharry says that while he respects the opinion of the experts they have been wrong in other sectors in the past

:rolleyes: These are the same ilk as the lunatics that constantly point out that "evolution is just a theory". IMO Fianna Fail needs to crack-down on these crackpots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

:rolleyes: These are the same ilk as the lunatics that constantly point out that "evolution is just a theory". IMO Fianna Fail needs to crack-down on these crackpots.

According to Francie, it is ok for a SF politician to be an anti-vaxxer if there is another stupid politician out there who is an anti-vaxxer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Perhaps it's time to move on. This thread has become an horrendous read over the last few pages. Seems to be ultimately pointless back and forth arguments as I don't think it's likely that anyone posting will change their position. Apologies if this comes across as backseat modding. Not my intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Marc McSharry would say anything at all if he thought there was a chance of a single vote, or 10 seconds of air-time in it.

IF that's the standard you're judging Ni Riada against then you aren't exactly holding her up to be a shining light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In some actual presidential election-related news DCC won't be nominating anyone....

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-president-2018-meeting-4234058-Sep2018/
    “Not one of them deserved to be on the ballot for my local residents’ committee, let alone to run for the office of President.”

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was really glad to see DCC not nominating anyone from the 'crazy list'. Peter Casey has damaged himself. He seems to have some role as a stalking horse for some other contender. No preparation, what's he at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,201 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So that's one council with backbone, will there be any others?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,434 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blackwhite wrote: »
    Marc McSharry would say anything at all if he thought there was a chance of a single vote, or 10 seconds of air-time in it.

IF that's the standard you're judging Ni Riada against then you aren't exactly holding her up to be a shining light

I'm not comparing anybody.

Just demonstrating that many people raised concerns and further, the HSE responded to those concerns with an Awareness Campaign.

Just demonstrating that many people raised concerns and further, the HSE responded to those concerns with an Awareness Campaign.

That the HSE were forced to waste money on responding to the lies and conspiracy theories perpetuated by anti-vaxxers and their useful idiots is any other reflection on he harm done by those, like O’Riada and the other politicians listed, who attempted to give credibility to these dangerous lies

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    That the HSE were forced to waste money on responding to the lies and conspiracy theories perpetuated by anti-vaxxers and their useful idiots is any other reflection on he harm done by those, like O’Riada and the other politicians listed, who attempted to give credibility to these dangerous lies

It's there in black and white, they 'raised concerns' about it. As a politician should do.
    If the information available was satisfactory the HSE need not have done anything. Yet they did.
    Anything becoming clearer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

She had concerns at the time, no doubt about that.

Does she have now? I think it is very very clear she doesn't.

So what have we, a politician changes their opinion.
    Leo Varadkar changed his opinion on civil marriage, and he got to actually run the country. is that the same level of moronic-ness?

Or is it only when republicans change their opinions there is a problem?

I imagine she'd still be 'raising concerns' if she thought there was a vote in it for her.
    I was concerned enough to look for information. A HSE PDF was not really accessible to me funnily enough.

My children's medical history is private and none of your business.

And unqualified views were all you could find? :rolleyes:

It's there in black and white, they 'raised concerns' about it. As a politician should do.
    If the information available was satisfactory the HSE need not have done anything. Yet they did.

Eh, she could have consulted the numerous internationally recognised reports on the safety and efficacy of it. Instead she couldn't even background check the likes of Regret, that's a worrying lack of critical faculties.

It’s one hell of a low standard you hold politicians to that you expect them to unquestionably advocate any and every conspiracy theory that’s raised by one of their constituents.

Yet if someone was to ever “raise concerns” about any nefarious SF or IRA activities you’ll be on the attack to **** down any criticism of your heroes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Water John wrote: »
    Was really glad to see DCC not nominating anyone from the 'crazy list'. Peter Casey has damaged himself. He seems to have some role as a stalking horse for some other contender. No preparation, what's he at?
    So the spacers, tree huggers and general spongers on DCC wont let anyone else near the trough

batgoat wrote: »
    I imagine she'd still be 'raising concerns' if she thought there was a vote in it for her.

And unqualified views were all you could find? :rolleyes:

No, I eventually found the info. Wasn't easily available though.

And if you bothered to do some research on google from the period the stories are all over the place and surfacing in the Dail. As linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dun laoghaire rathdown and probably sdcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The general consensus among the commentators is that no further nominations will be obtained via the local authorities. Not sure whether this means the remaining councils won't be nominating anyone or will be giving 'surplus' nods to Gallagher et al...

The general consensus among the commentators is that no further nominations will be obtained via the local authorities. Not sure whether this means the remaining councils won't be nominating anyone or will be giving 'surplus' nods to Gallagher et al...

I think we have the field now. Can't see anymore making the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think we have the field now. Can't see anymore making the ticket.

Peter Casey is making noises about getting a nomination through the Oireachtas, but I'll believe it when I see it...

No, I eventually found the info. Wasn't easily available though.

And if you bothered to do some research on google from the period the stories are all over the place and surfacing in the Dail. As linked to.

I did actually do research at the time.... It wasn't hard, the most prominent proponents of conspiracies was Regret, they got Dáil mentions... I checked their research section which had this guy for example as a reference. So fact checking them was pretty easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Null

Then I checked the world health organization, the cdc and other internationally recognised health organizations who always have fact sheets about anything like this. So what you're saying is that Liadh isn't very good at using google or fact checking in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well dun laoghaire simply didnt hold a hearing for them as they decided they didnt want to waste their own time

I did actually do research at the time.... It wasn't hard, the most prominent proponents of conspiracies was Regret, they got Dáil mentions... I checked their research section which had this guy for example as a reference. So fact checking them was pretty easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Null

Then I checked the world health organization, the cdc and other internationally recognised health organizations who always have fact sheets about anything like this. So what you're saying is that Liadh isn't very good at using google or fact checking in general.

Well she clearly had concerns about the availability of information, as had the HSE who mounted an awareness campaign to deal with the lack.

It doesn't really matter where the misinformation emanated from, the fact is ordinary people and public reps had concerns.
    This is the real world, not some nirvana where everyone behaves in the same way.

Well she clearly had concerns about the availability of information, as had the HSE who mounted an awareness campaign to deal with the lack.

It doesn't really matter where the misinformation emanated from, the fact is ordinary people and public reps had concerns.
    This is the real world, not some nirvana where everyone behaves in the same way.

The public representatives who voiced concerns such as G Craughwell aren't exactly our smartest politicians and did it for populist reasons. They were perfectly capable of doing the research themselves rather than adding to the hysteria. I have no time for politicians who will say anything if it gains them votes.

The public representatives who voiced concerns such as G Craughwell aren't exactly our smartest politicians and did it for populist reasons. They were perfectly capable of doing the research themselves rather than adding to the hysteria. I have no time for politicians who will say anything if it gains them votes.

Well, they all do that.
    Varadkar was playing to public opinion when he criticised the civil marriage bill but changed with the wind a few years later.

You cannot seriously think that we live in a world that is unaffected by worries and concerns however unfounded. It is the meat and bones of daily life that these things happen.

Well, they all do that.
    Varadkar was playing to public opinion when he criticised the civil marriage bill but changed with the wind a few years later.

You cannot seriously think that we live in a world that is unaffected by worries and concerns however unfounded. It is the meat and bones of daily life that these things happen.

It was a public health issue so no, everybody does it isn't an acceptable excuse. Excuses for her behaviour is what you're offering. It's not good enough. Don't go onto talk radio if you have no knowledge on what you're discussing, particularly if it going to add hysteria and confusion rather than actual knowledge.

It was a public health issue so no, everybody does it isn't an acceptable excuse. Excuses for her behaviour is what you're offering. It's not good enough. Don't go onto talk radio if you have no knowledge on what you're discussing, particularly if it going to add hysteria and confusion rather than actual knowledge.

What makes you think she had no concerns about the availability of info though?
    There clearly was. Why would the HSE have run an Awareness Campaign if the info is getting through satisfactorily?

There is zero evidence that she is an anti vaxxer. Like any decent parent she would not allow her daughter be vaccinated (nor would I, frankly) without the relevant info and a mind at ease. And the scare stories and case studies of those suffering after effects were all over the place at the time.

You live in a perfect world obviously, where the right info is at hand. Not everyone does though.

What makes you think she had no concerns about the availability of info though?
    There clearly was. Why would the HSE have run an Awareness Campaign if the info is getting through satisfactorily?

There is zero evidence that she is an anti vaxxer. Like any decent parent she would not allow her daughter be vaccinated (nor would I, frankly) without the relevant info and a mind at ease. And the scare stories and case studies of those suffering after effects were all over the place at the time.

You live in a perfect world obviously, where the right info is at hand. Not everyone does though.

Fact checking is incredibly easy to do in the times we live in and the info was at hand as long as you looked critically at your sources, you'd think this occurred 30 years ago by the way you're talking... The awareness campaign was needed because of a load of scaremongering by a handful of politicians and a dodgy organization called Regret.

Fact checking is incredibly easy to do in the times we live in and the info was at hand as long as you looked critically at your sources, you'd think this occurred 30 years ago by the way you're talking... The awareness campaign was needed because of a load of scaremongering by a handful of politicians and a dodgy organization called Regret.

As I said, the source of the scaremongering doesn't really matter. It was it's affect on people that matters in the real world.

Raising concerns prompted the Awareness Campaign and that was a good thing.

Personally I never heard of Regret until today and I would guarantee the majority of people haven't either.
    What is the function of a 'public' rep if not to raise the concerns of their constituents?
    Again there is no evidence of any link to anti vaxx groups here. If there is, please show them.
    If, as one sensationalist poster here said, her goal is that of these groups 'to see girls dying of cancer' (his/her claim, not mine) or something similarly sinister, then that really has to be backed up. It is scurrilous speculation otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Politicians cause HSE to waste money and you think this is a good thing?

Only idiots raised doubts about the HPV vaccine, and an idiot doesn't deserve to be President.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Latest PP odds on the Presidential election.

Michael D Higgins 1/5

Sean Gallagher 5/1

Liadh Ni Riada 7/1

Gavin Duffy 8/1

Joan Freeman 20/1

Caoimhghin O Caolain 66/1

Gemma O'Doherty 100/1

Peter Casey 100/1

Eamon O'Cuiv 200/1

Gerry Adams 200/1

John Finucane 200/1

Mary Lou McDonald 250/1