Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Why is the PAC stepping in now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Fleming, PAC chair, is a media whore who will use every opportunity to undermine Martin in his campaign to become party leader himself. Would love to see him get it, because he's not exactly the brightest. All mouth and no trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Because the kind people who run campaigns for "businesspeople" know that if you throw mud at someone just before they go stand on a podium, there won't be enough time to clean it off.

That is, whatever "relevations" are found about Presidential expenses will be spun reflect badly on Michael D regardless of the fact that it will have nothing to do with him.

And there won't be enough time before the election for this disinformation to be refuted/forgotten.

Not surprising they're thinking about this, the chair of the PAC being a FF man. The vice-chair publicly disagrees with him on whether it's appropriate, so the Dail should be considering muzzling the PAC until the election is over and investigating whether Sean Fleming is acting in good faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The PAC has for quite a while now been used more as a vehicle for it's members to self-publicise than for anything else.

Timing this to coincide with an election gives them another opportunity to boost their profiles.

• Advertisement

Might end up working in Higgins favour presuming he stays out of it

Not too many going to be fooled by this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

This is the country that put Ming Flanagan into the European Parliament to represent our best interests.
    Never overestimate the intelligence of the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fleming, PAC chair, is a media whore who will use every opportunity to undermine Martin in his campaign to become party leader himself. Would love to see him get it, because he's not exactly the brightest. All mouth and no trousers.

Did Leo no harm.

They are making a circus out of it. I think it's the only way to give Higgins any competition. They've nothing positive to bring to the office.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

He has already ruled out questions about the president.

Martin has taken a dig at him anyway.

And besides they are under budget.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0920/994931-presidential-election/
    Fianna Fáil Leader Micheál Martin has said his personal view is the Public Accounts Committee should desist from its plans to discuss expenditure of the Office of the President.

In the first PAC meeting since the summer recess, committee chairperson Sean Fleming said there had been a number of requests to discuss the expenditure in the President's Establishment, ...
    "The President is not answerable to this House," he said.

"There is a long standing principle. We will honour that in its entirety. If anybody asks a question about the President I will rule it out of order."
    Mr McCarthy told the committee that the office of the current President was coming in under budget and was surrendering 10% of its allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Did Leo no harm.
    Nonsense - we haven't had an election yet so there's no way of saying. I think Leo would get a deserved wake up call if we had an election today. He has been the figurehead of some very amazing and great changes to the country, but the country was ready for these with anyone at the helm. FG and Leo have done very little in real terms due to fear or some other reason that I can't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WUT ?

Presidential hopeful Sarah Louise Mulligan ejected from Dublin council meeting
    Sarah Louise Mulligan said she would not be silenced after being told her allocated time was up
    Mayor of South County Dublin, Mark Ward, who chaired the meeting said: "She was quite angry and aggressive and she was roaring and shouting demanding an apology..."

Hi Sarah
    enjoy some publicity, Vote for Sarah or else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Did Leo no harm.
    Nonsense - we haven't had an election yet so there's no way of saying. I think Leo would get a deserved wake up call if we had an election today. He has been the figurehead of some very amazing and great changes to the country, but the country was ready for these with anyone at the helm. FG and Leo have done very little in real terms due to fear or some other reason that I can't understand.

Once Brexit is concluded either way in the coming weeks, the grace period granted to FG for the last 12 months will come to an end, as presumably will ratings in the 30s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Once Brexit is concluded either way in the coming weeks, the grace period granted to FG for the last 12 months will come to an end, as presumably will ratings in the 30s.

Concluded? Unless its overturned, they'll stillbe trying to get a handle on the damage it causes in 5 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How to make friends and influence people #2631....

And this is a flat out lie (which a remarkable number of her sheep seem to believe)

Does Gemma not understand that gettting votes from some councillors does not equate to the getting nominations that actually count towards getting on the ballot for the election ? Or have I answered my own question there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't support/care for Fine Gael, Varadkar or any party, but I've heard this "their support will collapse any second now" for months and months. Each time the reason is something different; house prices, cervical check, the Gardaí, the Health service etc. and now Brexit.

It's yet to happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Sunday Times party figures just published, so a presidential poll will follow in the print edition tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Does Gemma not understand that gettting votes from some councillors does not equate to the getting nominations that actually count towards getting on the ballot for the election ? Or have I answered my own question there.

Course she does, but she genuinely has some sort of weird deluded paranoia. Whats depressing is her supporters on social media who have no knowledge of their own and believe she is just one Council away from the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

He's been Taoiseach for a very odd period in our history, a social rights revolution (Ireland's 1960s imo!) and the Brexit shenanigans which are taking up too much time for everyone involved. The British gov has gotten almost nothing done in two years due to it and Ireland is the second-most caught up in it.

I don't think he's done a great deal that anyone else of half a wit wouldn't have done but he's not screwed it up, which is something. The Irish gov is handling Brexit as well as it can be handled given its an almighty ****show.

Right now and as things stand, I'd vote the current lot back in over FF although neither really align with my political position. But I wouldn't take the risk of FF, having sat on the sidelines, coming in and trying to change tack for the sake of it with 6 months to go.

Mind you, housing, homeless crisis, drinking water, Ireland's failure to meet its climate goals and the HSE does make me want an alternative to either lot. Sooner blasted Brexit is done with so we can focus on things other than the national meltdown next door, the better.

Why is Gallagher making a big deal about debates and who's present?

It sounds like he doesn't actually want to debate himself,I can see why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Strange piece about Sean Gallagher in the Sindo yesterday. He discussed an eye condition/disorder which effected his performance in THAT debate, apparently TV studio lights phase him and also cause him to squint, he must have forgotten that he gained his celebrity by being in a TV studio day one.

He may have a serious eye problem and fair play for him developing a TV career in Dragons Den and doing the tv media circus for the last election campaign whilst suffering like that - but he was able to operate deftly in such an environment up to that final debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Strange piece about Sean Gallagher in the Sindo yesterday. He discussed an eye condition/disorder which effected his performance in THAT debate, apparently TV studio lights phase him and also cause him to squint, he must have forgotten that he gained his celebrity by being in a TV studio day one.

He may have a serious eye problem and fair play for him developing a TV career in Dragons Den and doing the tv media circus for the last election campaign whilst suffering like that - but he was able to operate deftly in such an environment up to that final debate.
    I wonder if we could see proof from a doctor of this condition. No reasonable person could be expected to regard Gallagher as ordinarily truthful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gemma got a nomination from laois by begging every politician that didnt support her to abstain, she won the nomination with 3 votes, 13 abstained and 2 absent, how is that the democracy her and her supporters keep banging on about?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Gemma got a nomination from laois by begging every politician that didnt support her to abstain, she won the nomination with 3 votes, 13 abstained and 2 absent, how is that the democracy her and her supporters keep banging on about?

It's sort of weird. What is her aim here. I support her AS A JOURNALIST; I would buy a book if she wrote one but I would never ever vote for her to be President.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's sort of weird. What is her aim here. I support her AS A JOURNALIST; I would buy a book if she wrote one but I would never ever vote for her to be President.

Publicity/media exposure for herself.

Publicity/media exposure for herself.

All publicity is not good publicity.

Presidential elections tend to drag up the dirt so the exposure here may not be beneficial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

VinLieger wrote: »

No nomination for her in Cork : https://twitter.com/Borderfoxy/status/1044174900519464961
    Gemma O'Doherty is not getting the nomination from #Cork County Council -
    5 votes for Gemma
    28 against
    6 abstained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And that's the end of that unpleasant chapter. Although no doubt she'll keep tweeting that it's some sort of conspiracy in spite of all evidence that it was merely down to her being an utterly unsuitable candidate.

https://twitter.com/ConorGallaghe_r/status/1044174167569035264

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,035 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And that's the end of that unpleasant chapter. Although no doubt she'll keep tweeting that it's some sort of conspiracy in spite of all evidence that it was merely down to her being an utterly unsuitable candidate.

https://twitter.com/ConorGallaghe_r/status/1044174167569035264

Can't she still be on the ballot if she gets some Senators to support her, or is she just done now?

Advertisement