Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Why is Gallagher even coming back?

He either has a very high opinion of himself or he's just raising his profile for political life

Never underestimate vanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why is Gallagher even coming back?

He either has a very high opinion of himself or he's just raising his profile for political life

Has he ever run for any other elected office in the years he was not running for president?
    He's a strange one Gallagher. Only seems to get motivated in improving society when the country's top job comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

blanch152 wrote: »
    How much would it cost to verify 50,000 signatures?

I have absolutely no idea. I imagine a presentation of ID or online portal could be used to assist the process, but it would subject to audit and it would be in the candidate's interest to see it done properly.

Overall, the cost would be far less I imagine than crackpots holding up and wasting the time of extraordinary Council meetings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Has he ever run for any other elected office in the years he was not running for president?
    He's a strange one Gallagher. Only seems to get motivated in improving society when the country's top job comes up.

He said he'll be working for people on the margins including the geographical margins.

That should benefit me.

As long as he doesn't expect me to move house I really don't mind at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Has Gallagher ever gone for public office other than the presidential election?

It’s like he sees himself above being a TD. Only the presidency is good enough for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

What happening with these debates?

Is MDH going to stay off the earwaves as much as possible ?

Is Gallagher going to try and muddy the waters,make it a dogfight?

firstly RTE organised the debates before the candidates were confirmed then then moved it to the next day but didn't check that Higgins is supposed to be meeting Prince Edward that afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

What happening with these debates?

Is MDH going to stay off the earwaves as much as possible ?

Is Gallagher going to try and muddy the waters,make it a dogfight?

The presidential diary is a fairly weak excuse, given he'll presumably have engagements every day until polling - that said, lunchtime is rather odd timing for a TV debate, given the ratings they usually get in prime time slots.

The presidential diary is a fairly weak excuse, given he'll presumably have engagements every day until polling - that said, lunchtime is rather odd timing for a TV debate, given the ratings they usually get in prime time slots.

its radio, but best all round if everyone is in same room

not checking the diary when its arranged well in advance and published on the web is fairly weak https://president.ie/en/diary

he is supposed to be meeting them at the aras at 230 newsatone ends at 1:45pm

Presidents office said he was constrained by his diary not that he wouldn't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

emo72 wrote: »
    *Adopts political voice* "I don't accept that!" Haha. Whom is deciding who is suitable? Whoever gets the vote is suitable. This is crazy lads ruling people out because of some preconceived ideas of how a president should act? No that's not right.

Anyway my point is not that I think she should president. It's she should be allowed to go forward! Anyone who wants to put themselves forward deserves the chance. Not a couple of vetted candidates from the Oireachtas and the council's. Anyway. I've said me piece. Go on with your bad selves!

And who votes for Councillors and TD's we do! Looking at some of the candidates the election is already a joke imagine what we would have if every nutjob could easily get on the ticket.

Your beloved Gemma is just trying to set herself up as "Irish Alex Jones". There is no way in hell she should be allowed near a diplomatic position like President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea. I imagine a presentation of ID or online portal could be used to assist the process, but it would subject to audit and it would be in the candidate's interest to see it done properly.

Overall, the cost would be far less I imagine than crackpots holding up and wasting the time of extraordinary Council meetings

I would guess that the software alone would cost a lot lot more than a few council meetings. Then you would have to make it hackproof. If the electronic voting machines that cost millions weren't good enough for the people, how would they accept a cheap computer-based nomination system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭emo72

gandalf wrote: »

Your beloved Gemma .

She's my beloved Gemma? Deadly, I didn't realise that haha. Everyone on here is dead set against her except me? I'm really being marginalized now. I think she should have been on the ballot. There's absolutely no one on that paper I would vote for. I know lads it's just sour grapes from me I guess.

She's my beloved Gemma? Deadly, I didn't realise that haha. Everyone on here is dead set against her except me? I'm really being marginalized now. I think she should have been on the ballot. There's absolutely no one on that paper I would vote for. I know lads it's just sour grapes from me I guess.

quite often on a ballot you have to choose the least bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

If you say ridiculous **** such as claiming Veronica Guerin was murdered by the state, you're unlikely to get a nomination. She capably came across as the David Icke candidate....

Has Gallagher ever gone for public office other than the presidential election?

It’s like he sees himself above being a TD. Only the presidency is good enough for him

He has that majesterial way about him

Has to be said

He has that majesterial way about him

Has to be said

You mean he looks like a c-list Bond villain.

Tbh I don't see why he is running this time, he has done absolutely nothing of value that I know of for Irish society since he ran in 2011. I reckon he will poll less than he did last time.

TV3 now duffy

The 3 Ms

Mentoring ,mobilising and motivating the youth

TV3 now duffy

The 3 Ms

I turned him off, he sounds like he's delivering a souless corporate presentation. I get enough of that sort of stuff with work!

Poor old Duffy is hapless I'm afraid

He's like a serious clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He's not getting an easy ride anyway, and is waffling as a result. And worming and slithering when asked why now the issue with presidential expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TV3 now duffy

The 3 Ms

Like David Brent was running for president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

[QUOTE=expectationlost;108172659

Presidents office said he was constrained by his diary not that he wouldn't do it[/QUOTE]

:D And yet many on here think that this guy is the 'open, inclusive, grá mo chroi' man of the people! Of all the candidates he must be the wiliest cute hoor of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:D And yet many on here think that this guy is the 'open, inclusive, grá mo chroi' man of the people! Of all the candidates he must be the wiliest cute hoor of them all.
    Presidential duties take precedence over electioneering tbh. If RTE want him on, it's up to them to find a slot that works, not up to MDH to kill himself trying to pack engagements in back-to-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

seamus wrote: »
    Presidential duties take precedence over electioneering tbh. If RTE want him on, it's up to them to find a slot that works, not up to MDH to kill himself trying to pack engagements in back-to-back.

I'm saying that we are going to see a lot of the President being 'constrained by his diary' going forward. This guy is priceless and still gets a free pass from the media!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I'm saying that we are going to see a lot of the President being 'constrained by his diary' going forward. This guy is priceless and still gets a free pass from the media!

It's the first debate and at incredibly short notice by looks of things. Guessing he'll show at a handful of debates which is all he needs to do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Shes as mad as a bag of cats, she spews forth conspiracy after conspiracy and refuses to back any of them up with evidence when asked, she also then blocks people on twitter who question her narrative and refuses to engage with interviews unless they ask her exactly the questions she wants to answer.

The conspiracy against her is in her head much like alot of other things she believes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although her cult following is strong, I think what this campaign has done is scare away any of her lazy followers; people who gave her credence and kudos over the Mary Boyle thing and thought that she might be a strong independent investigative journalist. And as a result would RT and share stuff attributed to her without giving her a proper look. But they're all scared away now that it's clear she's unstable and lacks the critical thinking skills one needs to be a journalist.

She's torpedoed her own career here really, she'll be cast out to the fringes of whackjob journalism after this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thursday is ludicrously short notice for a political debate, first I heard there was one planned; I had just presumed any debate wouldn't be for another couple of weeks - given only yesterday the door finally closed for any remaining hopefuls such as O'Doherty. Your obvious hatred and bias against Higgins is pretty transparent TBH, you're just reaching for reasons to give off about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thursday is ludicrously short notice for a political debate, first I heard there was one planned; I had just presumed any debate wouldn't be for another couple of weeks - given only yesterday the door finally closed for any remaining hopefuls such as O'Doherty. Your obvious hatred and bias against Higgins is pretty transparent TBH, you're just reaching for reasons to give off about the man.

Even Sean Gallagher has placed the blame at RTE's door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Very clever move by Gallagher http://www.thejournal.ie/sean-gallagher-rte-presidential-debates-4252593-Sep2018/

As I have said all along he will position himself as the natural successor by staying above the muck and being the answer to the question that those who like Michael D but aren't happy with him going for a second term are asking themselves.

Whether that coupled with the sympathy vote will be enough is impossible to answer quite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,202 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm saying that we are going to see a lot of the President being 'constrained by his diary' going forward.

But if he took time off from his presidential duties to campaign and appear on RTE you'd be slating him for that instead.

He's a liberal and pro-choice so can do no right in your eyes. We get that. We got that with the first post on this thread.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement