Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

VinLieger wrote: »
    Very clever move by Gallagher http://www.thejournal.ie/sean-gallagher-rte-presidential-debates-4252593-Sep2018/

As I have said all along he will position himself as the natural successor by staying above the muck and being the answer to the question that those who like Michael D but aren't happy with him going for a second term are asking themselves.

Whether that coupled with the sympathy vote will be enough is impossible to answer quite yet.

I thought it was pretty poor, came across as a whinger straight from the traps, not very statesman like at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Michael D. doesn't have to do much to prevail

Gallagher and Duffy presenting their vain ,opportunistic selves to the nation will do most of the work for him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone else thing Michael D should refuse to put up posters and instead make a donation of the equivalent cost to one of the Housing charities?

I reckon it'd be a vote-winning strategy that would help highlight the attention seeking / platform building behaviour of the no-hopers running against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sleepy wrote: »
    Anyone else thing Michael D should refuse to put up posters and instead make a donation of the equivalent cost to one of the Housing charities?

Do I recall that Gallagher ran with no posters last time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I reckon it'd be a vote-winning strategy that would help highlight the attention seeking / platform building behaviour of the no-hopers running against him.

Also might finally start the conversation at a political level about getting rid of those damn eysores for every election.

• Advertisement

They're prob all printed now on all sides

If he'd got in early and the media ran with it maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

VinLieger wrote: »
    Very clever move by Gallagher http://www.thejournal.ie/sean-gallagher-rte-presidential-debates-4252593-Sep2018/

As I have said all along he will position himself as the natural successor by staying above the muck and being the answer to the question that those who like Michael D but aren't happy with him going for a second term are asking themselves.

Whether that coupled with the sympathy vote will be enough is impossible to answer quite yet.

That's the first I've heard of any sympathy for Gallagher; not so sure there's much of it out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the presidency isn't about donating to charities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just saw Sean Gallagher's presidential bus:

aOMJcr3.jpg

Interesting design choices:

1.) The window frames make it look like he's standing in front of a giant brown envelope.

2.) It is now literally true to say 'Sean Gallagher looks like the back end of a bus'

The catchphrase "leading with purpose"

Then they've gone and put him at the back of.the bus lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

No intention of voting for Gallagher or the incumbent but at least he has the b*lls to seek election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I see Michael D is at the Liam Miller Tribute match in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and is getting plenty of applause from the crowd there. Good optics for him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I see Michael D is at the Liam Miller Tribute match in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and is getting plenty of applause from the crowd there. Good optics for him anyway.

He's well liked. I don't think a crowd would be long about showing any disapproval.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

He's been a huge soccer follower for years, president of Galway UTD. Saw a pic of him with the pope in the áras and a poster of Galway utd in background. Think it might have been photoshopped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Michael D. doesn't have to do much to prevail

Gallagher and Duffy presenting their vain ,opportunistic selves to the nation will do most of the work for him tbh

And Michael D isn't in it for himself either?

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with him as president, but its hard for anyone to be a "bad" president in this country. There's no major decision making. "The president is above politics" as said by the current govnt.

He said he'd run just the once, and changed his mind (and had every right to) but he is human, he's in it for himself. Anyone who runs is, and fair play to them for trying.

Higgins will be the King of the photo-op for this campaign,you can be sure.

The wily old fox

It really is comical that the likes of gallagher, a serial grant procurer and Fianna fail bagman thinks he's presidential material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I wonder whether he paid for his ticket.

I'm also curious as to whether he got the train down using his OAP fre travel card, or whether the taxpayers forked out for his State car & driver or, worse still, for the Government jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shaunn

It seems he must like his job if he wants to run for Presidency again at 77. I don't think he's that bad of a President myself.

Turnipman wrote: »

I'm also curious as to whether he got the train down using his OAP fre travel card, or whether the taxpayers forked out for his State car & driver or, worse still, for the Government jet.

Really good points. Because as well all know that all those things you mention will be discontinued once his term finishes, never to be used again for succeeding presidents after their introduction at the start his one term by way of experimentation.

I hope the tax payer forked out. How sad would it be for the president to be down the back of a bus eating Super Macs.

The jet is generally reserved for 'fiscally conservative' TD's to open friends off licence, (see Mary Harney).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

One of the burning questions of the day, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

One of the burning questions of the day, no doubt about it.

I was sitting behind him on the aircoach down and he was trying to sort out an airbnb room for the night but ran out of credits on his phone. I was happy to lend him mine, he managed to get a room just off McCurtain street.

I was sitting behind him on the aircoach down and he was trying to sort out an airbnb room for the night but ran out of credits on his phone. I was happy to lend him mine, he managed to get a room just off McCurtain street.

Eating a Chicken snack box from Supermacs paid for by the tax payer I'd bet. The pup ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the presidency isn't about donating to charities
    Actually ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0925/995891-aras-an-uachtarain/
    In brief opening statements, the C&AG Seamus McCarthy said expenditure in 2016 was €3.6m, of which €1.15m is spent on gratuities to centenarians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eating a Chicken snack box from Supermacs paid for by the tax payer I'd bet. The pup ;)

With a 317k unvouched allowance from the taxpayer, I'm sure he could have got at least a double burger.

Yet he still came under budget.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yet he still came under budget.

When you have a house like his, private security, your meals looked after, and a chauffeur, it is difficult enough to spend you 371k unvouched expenses. Only so many expensive shirts you can buy.

Micheal d does give off an air of to the ' manor born'

blanch152 wrote: »
    When you have a house like his, private security, your meals looked after, and a chauffeur, it is difficult enough to spend you 371k unvouched expenses. Only so many expensive shirts you can buy.

It's not his problem is it? And do you actually believe it'll be somehow any different under subsequent presidents? You somehow seem to think he's responsible for allocating budget allowances to the office of the president.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's not his problem is it? And do you actually believe it'll be somehow any different under subsequent presidents? You somehow seem to think he's responsible for allocating budget allowances to the office of the president.

I can tell you this much - if it came out that Leo or Eoghan had a 317k unvouched expenses account that wasn't subject to audit, we would never hear the end of it on here.

Advertisement