Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's odd isn't it. Firstly, why would that particular business man loan her money? Secondly, if he was a friend or had an interest in her becoming president, why charge an interest rate of 9%? 9% is around the APR of an unsecured business loan from a bank. Maybe she had exhausted, or didn't try, the avenue of bank loans or remortgages.
    As I said, it's likely he (possibly against the rules of the lending institution) extended a facility that he held to loan on that money. Hence the specific interest rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

As I said, it's likely he (possibly against the rules of the lending institution) extended a facility that he held to loan on that money. Hence the specific interest rate.

Do we know what other causes he donates to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Do we know what other causes he donates loans to?

fyp

No idea, but it seems shady as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

blackwhite wrote: »
    I’ve been very disappointed in Freeman. Given her good work woth Pieta House I was open to hearing what she had to say and give her a chance, but her inability to give straight answers around her personal beliefs, and about the various groups backing her has really put me off

I'm concerned about contagion for Pieta House itself already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm concerned about contagion for Pieta House itself already.

There's no doubt that her running will damage the pieta house brand. Most people wouldn't have realised that she had a fundamentalist side to her. I'd certainly be reluctant to donate to them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Happy Michael D running again. He been a good President.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

When is the next opinion poll due to be released? Whenever it is I would be amazed at anything less than 70 % support for Michael D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd expect to see a couple of polls late next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Would be surprised if there wasn't one tomorrow evening/Sunday morning also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

As if saying touching a wall cured an illness wasn't enough, Joan Freeman's campaign is virtually over with news of these "loans" from wealthy businessmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Argh, what a line up.

1. Higgins

...the rest are a lot more difficult. Freeman was my obvious second but..ngh.

2. Freeman or Ni Riada
    3. See 2
    4. Argh, Duffy least objectionable of the dragons.
    5. Bleh. It's who I want to leave off entirely that's more pressing. Gallagher, who I just don't like or the Irexiter.

I'd have been even more torn for who got blanked if O'Doherty was on there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I never said people voted for him en masse and I never said anything about executive power. He said one term, now he's going again, therefore he lied or is there another word for it?

Or changed his mind which is another word for it.

The biggest problem in politics is that they are crucified if they change their mind on any subject which means you get people stupidly backing the wrong decisions just because they are afraid to change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Thank God we have Higgins in the race....imagine one of these fools winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pussyhands wrote: »

You'd have to feel that if Higgins had ruled himself out then a few credible candidates would have emerged to try to win nominations from the political parties; and SF would have actually put forward a candidate with a chance as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Meh, who though really?

We'd probably have Fergus Finlay make another stab at it. Ruairí Quinn, Eamonn Gilmore, Alan Shatter? Kenny? :D:D

Our President is an odd role, it really is mostly suited to humanitarians, whose qualifications are politics or law. It requires a very broad-scoped personality, not someone with a gimmick.

It's hard to imagine most people in the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

One possible current role that could be used to provide a President would be a retired supreme court judge, preferably the Chief Justice.

As for salary, if Michael D were to not run or was defeated he would be in line for a pension as ex-Pres, a pension as ex-Minister, and a pension as retired Senetor, and a Pension as retired TD. ll in all, he would get a rise in pay. Currently he returns his pensions.

How much say does the President get a say in how the expense account is spent, or in how his itinerary is planned? Not a lot, I would think.

He turns up early, and well scrubbed with speech in his pocket. What more could a President do?

Why on earth would a privileged person such as a Judge be a good choice? They passed some exams and got the nod off their peers and have been answerable to pretty much nobody but themselves for decades? Outside of knowledge of the law these people always come across as fiercely ignorant of anything outside their own bubble. I have more faith in the head of parks.

The money is decided on by the government. It's pathethic that some are trying to tar Higgins with issues not in his control and that will stand even if another takes his place. As Michael D. says it goes towards many things like hosting guests and events. It's great that a President can invite the survivors of the laundries up for a talk. It's nice we have that kind of thing separate from party politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Joan Freeman would have been perfectly acceptable. Gavan Duffy would not have been to my taste but might do OK.

seamus wrote: »
    Meh, who though really?

We'd probably have Fergus Finlay make another stab at it. Ruairí Quinn, Eamonn Gilmore, Alan Shatter? Kenny? :D:D

Our President is an odd role, it really is mostly suited to humanitarians, whose qualifications are politics or law. It requires a very broad-scoped personality, not someone with a gimmick.

It's hard to imagine most people in the role.
    It's certainly hard to imagine any of the 'businessmen' who have emerged as making a good job of the role. No experience of anything but making money, really most unsuited to a job like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

eastwest wrote: »
    It's certainly hard to imagine any of the 'businessmen' who have emerged as making a good job of the role. No experience of anything but making money, really most unsuited to a job like this.

I voted for Sean Gallagher last time as I thought we needed someone at that time who could project the real Ireland, the one willing to work and pay it's way in the world, in a more positive way than any of the alternatives, especially two old Communists like Martin McGuinness and Micheal D Higgins.

I probably overestimated the role of the President in selling the country as a peaceful, stable, hard working, capitalist democracy.

I don't think we need a candidate that can say the right things to business this time, if anything I think it would be counter-productive in the current global environment.

I'm going to vote Joan Freeman. I don't know much about her but I'm sure Sinn Fein's political assassination squad will inform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As if saying touching a wall cured an illness wasn't enough, Joan Freeman's campaign is virtually over with news of these "loans" from wealthy businessmen.

Two chances of these "loans" ever being paid back.

Maybe the "institute" she's never heard of was giving her tips on illegal campaign financing...

Joan Freeman would have been perfectly acceptable.

Certainly not.
    It's certainly hard to imagine any of the 'businessmen' who have emerged as making a good job of the role. No experience of anything but making money

Can Gallagher even manage that?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Nitrogan wrote: »
    I voted for Sean Gallagher last time as I thought we needed someone at that time who could project the real Ireland, the one willing to work and pay it's way in the world, in a more positive way than any of the alternatives, especially two old Communists like Martin McGuinness and Micheal D Higgins.

I probably overestimated the role of the President in selling the country as a peaceful, stable, hard working, capitalist democracy.

I don't think we need a candidate that can say the right things to business this time, if anything I think it would be counter-productive in the current global environment.

I'm going to vote Joan Freeman. I don't know much about her but I'm sure Sinn Fein's political assassination squad will inform.

Isn't Sean Gallagher's most reliably profit-making skill his ability to qualify for government grants? Like, he didn't just use his knowledge of the system to get grants for himself, he sold on his intimate knowledge of how to get free goverment money to any sports clubs will to pay him?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gallagher-charged-gaa-clubs-up-to-5000-for-grants-advice-26785504.html

I'm not saying it's not a skill, but it's not exactly the 'self-made man, pulled himself up by his bootstraps' image he likes to project,.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Isn't Sean Gallagher's most reliably profit-making skill his ability to qualify for government grants? Like, he didn't just use his knowledge of the system to get grants for himself, he sold on his intimate knowledge of how to get free goverment money to any sports clubs will to pay him?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gallagher-charged-gaa-clubs-up-to-5000-for-grants-advice-26785504.html

I'm not saying it's not a skill, but it's not exactly the 'self-made man, pulled himself up by his bootstraps' image he likes to project,.

Sean Gallagher had his chance. Have to feel sorry for him in the way he was knee capped by Sinn Fein but that's politics.

Do you know anything Joan Freeman?

Sean Gallagher had his chance. Have to feel sorry for him in the way he was knee capped by Sinn Fein but that's politics.

All I know about Joan freeman is that Knock cured her acne, she appointed God as her CEO, and she appears to have some kind of secret devotion to a right wing religious cult which may or may not have been the source of a huge dollar loan to fund her campaign.
    Seems OK to me.

What's the 'real Ireland'?
    Gallagher strikes me as the kind of chap happy to have others pay his way. Gallagher is the wrong type of person for anything other than fooling folk into buying a dodgy car.

Sorry was it not about him accepting money and lying about his affiliation with FF? That tweet was true, only the source was fake. SF weren't even responsible.

All I know about Joan freeman is that Knock cured her acne, she appointed God as her CEO, and she appears to have some kind of secret devotion to a right wing religious cult which may or may not have been the source of a huge dollar loan to fund her campaign.
    Seems OK to me.

Uh oh.. :eek:

Why are there no normal people in politics these days?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think Michael D. running has skewed the faces on the running list. It'd be a very different line up if he'd been bowing down.

Packie Bonner for 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Uh oh.. :eek:

Why are there no normal people in politics these days?
    Believing Knock cured your acne is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Believing Knock cured your acne is neither here nor there.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm going to vote Joan Freeman. I don't know much about her...

Oy vey.

Advertisement