Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

B0jangles wrote: »
    Isn't Sean Gallagher's most reliably profit-making skill his ability to qualify for government grants?

He's pretty good at tax loopholes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sounds like Gallagher would be a real problem for those concerned with the costs attributed to the office of President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Just noticed Ni Riada's posters show no mention of Sinn Fein.

I wonder what that's about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Just noticed Ni Riada's posters show no mention of Sinn Fein.

I wonder what that's about.

McGuinness did that last time and got what, 14%? Ni Riada isn't running to win, she is running to take the electorates temperature on SF. So to eliminate a variable, she should run with posters like McGuinnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

humberklog wrote: »
    I think Michael D. running has skewed the faces on the running list. It'd be a very different line up if he'd been bowing down.

Packie Bonner for 2025.

Certainly his being in the race appears to have discouraged a few quality candidates from entering the fray. Had he not run, we might have seen a better class of candidate, people like Fergus finlay or other quality candidates. As it is, we have nothing more than a circus.

• Advertisement

McGuinness did that last time and got what, 14%? Ni Riada isn't running to win, she is running to take the electorates temperature on SF. So to eliminate a variable, she should run with posters like McGuinnesses.

Higgins doesn't run as Labour either.
    Ni Rada said she's proud to be a member of SF but believes the office shouldn't be party affiliated. Unlikely that would be the case if she were to win, although it might raise the level of debate regarding a united Ireland, which is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

although it might raise the level of debate regarding a united Ireland, which is always good.

A Sinn Fein candidate is the worst possible choice of President if there's likely to be a United Ireland poll within their tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,265 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ni Rada said she's proud to be a member of SF but believes the office shouldn't be party affiliated. Unlikely that would be the case if she were to win, although it might raise the level of debate regarding a united Ireland, which is always good.

Higgins was not nominated by Labour this time; Ni Riada was.

It makes it a rather expensive waste of time for them if they don't even get to shove up Mary Lou posters alongside really. She's not going to win, she may not even get her expenses.

L1011 wrote: »
    Higgins was not nominated by Labour this time; Ni Riada was.

It makes it a rather expensive waste of time for them if they don't even get to shove up Mary Lou posters alongside really. She's not going to win, she may not even get her expenses.

I agree. Just stating, Michael D. is likely still paying his membership dues to Labour. And Gallagher, if he were being honest about it...*cough* FF.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some numbers about the expenses and stuff

expenditure in 2016 was €3.6m, of which €1.15m is spent on gratuities to centenarians.
    So over a seven year term that's €17.15m not counting payments to the OAP's

And if there were any savings what would we do with them ?

State paid €15.8m in rent for vacant Dept of Health building

• Advertisement

Some numbers about the expenses and stuff

expenditure in 2016 was €3.6m, of which €1.15m is spent on gratuities to centenarians.
    So over a seven year term that's €17.15m not counting payments to the OAP's

And if there were any savings what would we do with them ?

State paid €15.8m in rent for vacant Dept of Health building

The main take away is all that money isn't going into a President's pocket. If there were no such office, the debate would be should people hitting a hundred get a nod? And should events be put on that don't relate directly to the economy, (meeting abuse victims, athletes, people who win awards and so on)?

As for the building lying idle, costing millions, sure PBP/SF would have left a bigger more expensive building idle or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A bit strange that Gallagher gets criticised for supposed FF connections and Duffy gets criticised for supposed FG connections, but Higgins gets a free pass for not running as Labour and Ni Riadha gets a free pass for not putting SF on her posters.

There wouldn't be one rule for SF and one rule for everyone else, by chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,439 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    A bit strange that Gallagher gets criticised for supposed FF connections and Duffy gets criticised for supposed FG connections, but Higgins gets a free pass for not running as Labour and Ni Riadha gets a free pass for not putting SF on her posters.

Because she is open and transparent about it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

A bit strange that Gallagher gets criticised for supposed FF connections
    They aren't supposed. They are real. He is literally an FF brown envelope distributor. The issue is less his very real lifelong Fianna Fail connections and the fact that he is part of that parasitical network that destroyed the country than his brass necked dishonesty. The man is a liar. He lied about being in FF.

Gavan Duffy is completely different. He is FG but not a party political activist and the attempt to link him to Gallagher is frankly defamatory.

There is no evidence for example that Gavan Duffy drove around collecting cheques for the FG equivalent of Brian Cowen (though the typical blueshirt would need a lobotomy before he became the equivalent of Brian Cowen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Michael d is saying we should not treat immigrants the way we treat travellers.

But we don't.

Because immigrants don't prey on the elderly, immigrants don't scam anyone and everyone they meet, immigrants don't burgle houses left right and centre, immigrants actually pay for goods they select in shops, immigrants WANT to work and contribute to society.

So Mr Higgins, there's no Chance in hell of immigrants being treated like a criminally minded group of scanners.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Michael d is saying we should not treat immigrants the way we treat travellers.

But we don't.

Because immigrants don't prey on the elderly, immigrants don't scam anyone and everyone they meet, immigrants don't burgle houses left right and centre, immigrants actually pay for goods they select in shops, immigrants WANT to work and contribute to society.

So Mr Higgins, there's no Chance in hell of immigrants being treated like a criminally minded group of scanners.

If all travelers behaved like you have generalised them the country would be unlivable.

AH might be a better spot to vent your spleen on this.

If all travelers behaved like you have generalised them the country would be unlivable.

AH might be a better spot to vent your spleen on this.

Yesterday I caught the 16th shoplifter in my business this year.

Each and every one of them was a Traveller.

That's fact - not generalisation.

A minority of travellers are law abiding, but the majority are not. And the facts are there as absolute proof.

Each and every one of them was a Traveller.

That's fact - not generalisation.

A minority of travellers are law abiding, but the majority are not. And the facts are there as absolute proof.

And some immigrants rob and don't obey the law as do citizens.

Stop the generalisations and take on board the idea that if you call something a dog, often enough it will eventually bite you.

Stop the generalisations and take on board the idea that if you call something a dog, often enough it will eventually bite you.

I'm in retail over 30 years, I assure you its not a generalisation. The majority of travellers tend to avoid going via the till when procuring goods.

Cso figures - 34% of male Travellers will spend time in prison at some stage of their lives.

Would it bite me?

If so what should I do?

• Advertisement

I'm in retail over 30 years, I assure you its not a generalisation. The majority of travellers tend to avoid going via the till when procuring goods.

Cso figures - 34% of male Travellers will spend time in prison at some stage of their lives.

I'm dealing with them for almost the same amount of time in a service business and they always pay upfront. I am chasing money from a hell of a lot more 'respectable' citizens and have had 4 cases in small claims and a filing cabinet of debts that have never been paid by settled people.

Not all travellers are on the rob like not all immigrants are or settled Irish.
    No doubt some do and a greater proportion of travellers seem to do, but you insist on saying they ALL do. They don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Enough of the generalizations please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The plural of anecdote isn't data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Eh both Higgins and NiRiada are prominent members in their respective parties, it's pretty transparent. Not so much for Gallagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The plural of anecdote isn't data.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

batgoat wrote: »
    Eh both Higgins and NiRiada are prominent members in their respective parties, it's pretty transparent. Not so much for Gallagher.

Exactly. Elected party representatives versus bag men.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I keep seeing this argument and don't get it.

Michael D. Higgins is running again.

The rest of the field is pretty poor.

Therefore, it is Higgins fault that the rest of the field is so poor because as a strong candidate he has single-handedly discouraged anyone else from running.

Therefore, it is the fault of a strong candidate that other strong candidates will not run, and no imputation of the strength of character of the mythical good candidates that don't have the will to run against a strong candidate.

So we should not allow strong candidates to run in in case they put someone else off.

Vote Dustin the Turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

blackwhite wrote: »
    You'd have to feel that if Higgins had ruled himself out then a few credible candidates would have emerged to try to win nominations from the political parties; and SF would have actually put forward a candidate with a chance as well.

Example of this assumption. There's no real logic as for why (or what it says about the strength of the non-existant candidate that they don't have the guts to run against a tiny elderly man, even as groundwork for the next election), it is just a feeling that "you have to feel". Why?

humberklog wrote: »
    I think Michael D. running has skewed the faces on the running list. It'd be a very different line up if he'd been bowing down.

Packie Bonner for 2025.

eastwest wrote: »
    Certainly his being in the race appears to have discouraged a few quality candidates from entering the fray. Had he not run, we might have seen a better class of candidate, people like Fergus finlay or other quality candidates. As it is, we have nothing more than a circus.

Which candidates? Why is it not equally likely that the clown show put off credible candidates? Or that there simply weren't a great deal of people interested in the position?

I am intrigued by the bizarre spectacle of casually blaming the sanest candidate for the nuttiness of the rest. Talk about a hell of a standard to get someone to live up to! He's basically now responsible for the bat****tery or unbotheredness of literally anyone else.

Odd.

Edit: those three posts were just scooped up from the last two pages as examples of an argument that is almost like background noise at this point and seems to keep passing as inarguable folk wisdom without being challenged.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Vote Dustin the Turkey?

As long he's not a Sinn Fein candidate that would be grand.

Could we give Mary McAleese another go at it?

She'd be worth changing the rules for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Could we give Mary McAleese another go at it?

She'd be worth changing the rules for.
    NO.

Not because of the person.

Because the rules are there for a reason.

Relax the rules for one and you have to relax it for all. How may billions did the cyclical bank crashes cost ? Where most of the damage could be attributed to politicians believing the banker "relax the rules , this time it's different".

Advertisement