Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

NO.

Not because of the person.

Because the rules are there for a reason.

Relax the rules for one and you have to relax it for all. How may billions did the cyclical bank crashes cost ? Where most of the damage could be attributed to politicians believing the banker "relax the rules , this time it's different".

That's a hell of a leap.

Rules have to be subject to change when circumstances demand or women couldn't vote for example.

You definitely can't compare the relaxation of banking regulations in the United States which lead to the global economic crash to changing the Presidential limits in Ireland anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rhineshark wrote: »
    I keep seeing this argument and don't get it.

Michael D. Higgins is running again.

The rest of the field is pretty poor.

Therefore, it is Higgins fault that the rest of the field is so poor because as a strong candidate he has single-handedly discouraged anyone else from running.

Therefore, it is the fault of a strong candidate that other strong candidates will not run, and no imputation of the strength of character of the mythical good candidates that don't have the will to run against a strong candidate.

So we should not allow strong candidates to run in in case they put someone else off.

Vote Dustin the Turkey?

Can't speak for anyone else, but while I think Higgins running has resulted in a poor list of other candidates, I don't "blame" Michael D. I wish there were better rivals for the role and feel disheartened the group is lopsided towards celebrity businessmen, but here we are.

However, it's the first time in 50+ years an incumbent has been asked to defend their position in an election, and the current President happens to be an incredibly popular individual - dare I say well loved as the nation's Grandad in Chief - despite what some on this thread have consistently tried to insist. It was touch and go whether anyone would run against Higgins in the first place, and again I think that speaks to the broad satisfaction and goodwill towards the man.

So while "blame" is way too strong a word, it's easy to imagine public figures along the lines of Fergus Finlay decided that Higgins seeking another term made any thoughts to their own running pointless.

This feels like a colossal waste of money, all for the sake of the democratic principle, and the generally poor standard of the other candidates just confirms this. I genuinely believe Sean Gallagher and his cohorts would use the Office for strokes; and my main worry would be presumption of Higgins' success, coupled with broad apathy, could give these shysters a better shout than they deserve

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is there a reason that the calibre of the candidates is so low? Far too many celebrities there. I would have thought some sort of vetting process would have averted this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Is there a reason that the calibre of the candidates is so low? Far too many celebrities there. I would have thought some sort of vetting process would have averted this.

Is there an element of the fact we've elected cllrs that feel obliged to nominate people? No real consideration on if they would represent us well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Vicky Phelan calling Ni Riadha out on her failure to support HPV vaccines unconditionally.

Haven't seen it anywhere except in the Daily Mail so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

The sinn fein battle bus was in Sligo today. Fully wrapped, big photoshopped mugshots of Mary Lou, Ni Riada and the Mary Lou's assistant from NI.
    All driven by good republicans diesel, no doubt. Nothing like having gallons of funds at your disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

eastwest wrote: »
    The sinn fein battle bus was in Sligo today. Fully wrapped, big photoshopped mugshots of Mary Lou, Ni Riada and the Mary Lou's assistant from NI.
    All driven by good republicans diesel, no doubt. Nothing like having gallons of funds at your disposal.

Rather surprising not to have seen any posters so far - usually, the local SF constituency branch are plastering poles as soon as the campaign begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Rather surprising not to have seen any posters so far - usually, the local SF constituency branch are plastering poles as soon as the campaign begins.

They've started anywhere they have enough oglaidh to do it. Sligo starting to get peppered with posters and a few starting to appear in leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Could we give Mary McAleese another go at it?

She'd be worth changing the rules for.
    She was awful. She was elected as the candidate of reactionary beat Joanne Hayes until she confesses Ireland. She was a President fort sell the babies to America as long as we aren't shamed Ireland. Her husband oversaw a whitewash report designed to absolve the Catholic church of its responsibility for the mass rape of boys in industrial schools and orphanages.

She damaged the office.

Michael D is metaphorically (not literally) head and shoulders above her.

Mary Hanafin would have been a better President than Macaleese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Joan Freeman is OK. Just OK. Michael D is actually good and is redeeming the office after McAleese stank the place up for 14 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Does anyone think that the president of Ireland could be more vocal and more in the public eye than Michael d was.

Yes he's a pleasant chap, but I can't think of anything that defined the last 7 years and feel it reverted to being a retirement perk for elderly politicians

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Does anyone think that the president of Ireland could be more vocal and more in the public eye than Michael d was.

Yes he's a pleasant chap, but I can't think of anything that defined the last 7 years and feel it reverted to being a retirement perk for elderly politicians

He was certainly vocal during the 1916 centenary, going to all the various events associated with it. As for in the public eye, whoever runs his social media accounts seems to be doing an excellent job in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

He was certainly vocal during the 1916 centenary, going to all the various events associated with it. As for in the public eye, whoever runs his social media accounts seems to be doing an excellent job in that regard.

But what is the legacy of the last 7 years.

What was his focus point that he can look at and say "that was me"

Robinson was very much empowering women and bringing the diaspora closer.

McAleese was very much involved in the peace process and made that her defining contribution.

Higgins?

Nothing of note that I can think of.

Time to exit the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

"more vocal " ? Short of representing Ireland in the Eurovision song contest, don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,441 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

But what is the legacy of the last 7 years.

What was his focus point that he can look at and say "that was me"

Robinson was very much empowering women and bringing the diaspora closer.

McAleese was very much involved in the peace process and made that her defining contribution.

Higgins?

Nothing of note that I can think of.

Time to exit the stage.

I think he was particularly good on social equality and humanitarian issues. But if you are not tuned into those wavelengths of course you will miss what he had to say.
    Personally did the same with McAleese, and her peace and reconciliationspeak.

That whole subject has a language of nothingness around it that I just zone out listening to the many who speak it.
    The 'real' McAleese couldn't help pissing off the Unionists on a few occasions despite the guff she talked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You probably don't recognise them as your brain expects SF posters to be green, but they've got these done up in the exact same shade of purple the SocDems use, and there's barely a SF logo to be seen upon them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Freeman gave a half decent interview on Matt Cooper yesterday.

To her credit, clarified that the "knock cured my eczema" thing is nonsense, it was something she used to claim when she was a teenager, which has been dragged back up.

Her religious conviction aside, she's incredibly naive, politically. She revealed the Herbalife guy gave her a loan, but admitted she knew little to nothing about Herbalife or his business dealings. Just that he was a friend who gave her a loan.

And that "win or lose" it would have to be repaid. Who wants a president that's in debt to a shady businessman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,266 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm happier with a win or lose repayment than something let slide if she (somehow) won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You probably don't recognise them as your brain expects SF posters to be green, but they've got these done up in the exact same shade of purple the SocDems use, and there's barely a SF logo to be seen upon them either.

Hard to see her get too far. The useful idiots will vote for her but thats about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Noiticed on the news there, LnR's Battle Bus has British reg plates (not N.I., mainland Britain, London west to be precise)

Can't imagine that going down too well with the faithful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was half listening but someone on RTÉ this morning said this so called RTÉ whistle blower appears to be fake.

I wonder who would possibly benefit from this???? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Edgware wrote: »
    Hard to see her get too far. The useful idiots will vote for her but thats about it

You don't know what the term 'useful idiot' means.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Story in the Mail today that Higgins used his 271k unaudited allowance to top up the pay of his special adviser, who used to drive him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep story about Higgins taking his NUIG pension in The Sunday Times today as well. Its obvious what the campaign is going to be against Michael D. I reckon its going get very dirty and Gallagher is behind it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Presidential candidates address campaign spending
    Mikey D has provided the most specific breakdown of spending. At this stage he's also the only candidate who's fairly certain of getting back his election expenses.

Ní Riadha's posters are all over the place already. The SF machine getting a good work out.

Mr Casey said he will spend "as much as it takes to get elected but I won't go over the cap".
    Hey Peter, about that ...

Presidential candidates address campaign spending
    Mikey D has provided the most specific breakdown of spending. At this stage he's also the only candidate who's fairly certain of getting back his election expenses.

Ní Riadha's posters are all over the place already. The SF machine getting a good work out.

Mr Casey said he will spend "as much as it takes to get elected but I won't go over the cap".
    Hey Peter, about that ...

That golfing video didn't exactly go to plan! ;)

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyPeterJ/status/1045663686956847104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Casey has a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected. I can't understand why he is running, is it delusion or is there a hidden agenda I just haven't been able to fathom?

No way am I backing a candidate funded by Des Walsh, ex President of Herbalife.

I've posted elsewhere on this website about this company.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/company-linked-to-joan-freeman-funder-paid-200m-settlement-1.3643989

Google Bill Ackman Herbalife - it's all there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ackman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6dUplyzBgE

Herbalife- betting on Zero trailer- was available on Netflix - might still be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jrALajXrI

What SF machine Mr. Capt'n Midnight??:confused:

Now where on her (very luxurious bus) do you see the words SF mentioned, eh? :p

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Story in the Mail today that Higgins used his 271k unaudited allowance to top up the pay of his special adviser, who used to drive him around.

And what was so "special" about his adviser? :)

Advertisement