Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Vote Dustin the Turkey?

No. He never brought the Dart from Dublin to Dingle like he promised he would:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What SF machine Mr. Capt'n Midnight??:confused:
    Go outside. Look around.

What posters do you see up already ?

It's an expression, The Lad's are out throwing up posters like clockwork. It's good practice for an election. It's PR for the party. And if they get a high enough vote then they can get expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep story about Higgins taking his NUIG pension in The Sunday Times today as well. Its obvious what the campaign is going to be against Michael D. I reckon its going get very dirty and Gallagher is behind it.

Dirty won't work unless there is truth in the allegations.

I also read somewhere over the weekend that it was Mary McAleese who reduced salary to 250k, it was put around by some posters on here that Michael D. decided that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That golfing video didn't exactly go to plan! ;)

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyPeterJ/status/1045663686956847104

The big eejit expects us to believe he went on and somehow managed to find that ball and retrieve it.

https://twitter.com/CaseyPeterJ/status/1046393789223440384?s=19

blanch152 wrote: »
    Dirty won't work unless there is truth in the allegations.

I also read somewhere over the weekend that it was Mary McAleese who reduced salary to 250k, it was put around by some posters on here that Michael D. decided that.

It's a fact. Why do you have issue with accepting reality when it comes to Higgins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Micky D should have taken the money and ran while his reputation was still intact. His skeleton closet is going to get a very public going over I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Micky D should have taken the money and ran while his reputation was still intact. His skeleton closet is going to get a very public going over I suspect.

It's SHOWTIME!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No. He never brought the Dart from Dublin to Dingle like he promised he would:(
    Not. His. Fault.

As he said himself there was a mixup at the printers. His name didn't appear on the ballot. If he had been allowed to bring the DART to Dingle do you think the Healy Raes would be in the Dáil now ?

Like half the field, he's an entrepreneur but I've never heard of him chasing government grants. And we all know he's a trier who keeps trying despite setback. Who else would be selling Christmas Trees on Steven's day ?

We also know he'll tell it like he sees it without fear or favour to anyone, as long as they are over six.

With Dustin what you see is what you get. It's not like the Fianna Fowl party is pulling his strings.

Go outside. Look around.

What posters do you see up already ?

It's an expression, The Lad's are out throwing up posters like clockwork. It's good practice for an election. It's PR for the party. And if they get a high enough vote then they can get expenses.

Read the rest of my post- I was being sarcastic ;)

With Dustin what you see is what you get. It's not like the Fianna Fowl party is pulling his strings.

Yes but I think his goose was well cooked and his wings clipped in that dirty election - he was never the same again, with our without mature recollection.

You hear nothing about the Poultry party these days- I think Michael McDowell caught him in a compromising position with a battery hen- not pleasant by all accounts.

• Advertisement

Read the rest of my post- I was being sarcastic ;)
    But not as sarcastic as SF expecting the state to pay for their trial run, even though they know they have no chance.

The other wasters are not just wasting their own money, by forcing an election they are forcing the incumbent to run a campaign too.

But not as sarcastic as SF expecting the state to pay for their trial run, even though they know they have no chance.

o.

What gets me is the lack of mention of Sinn Fein on the campaign bus- but then again, they’re used to camouflage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

What gets me is the lack of mention of Sinn Fein on the campaign bus- but then again, they’re used to camouflage :pac:

I see they're using an English bus too. Is it the Brexit bus, redecorated?
    You'd have thought that a party where you have to use the Irish version of your name (unless you're one of the leaders) would be able to find an Irish company to provide the bus? Or am I missing some subtle point?

I'd say there are some good republicans inventing skeletons as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,441 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

eastwest wrote: »
    Or am I missing some subtle point?

That some SF members use the 'English' version of their name while the rest use their actual names? ;)
    My local rep uses the English version of his name and he is not 'one of the leaders' that you breathlessly claim don't 'have to' use their real names.

So maybe the subtlety you are missing is your own hangups and suppositions?

That some SF members use the 'English' version of their name while the rest use their actual names? ;)
    My local rep uses the English version of his name and he is not 'one of the leaders' that you breathlessly claim don't 'have to' use their real names.

So maybe the subtlety you are missing is your own hangups and suppositions?

And whataboutery the English bus?

And whataboutery the English bus?

Maybe they are not as hung up as you. Maybe using a mechanical object from another country doesn't dilute their citizenship or nationality as much as you breathlessly think it does. :rolleyes:

'Look at that Shinner eating a Cornish pastie, the traitor!'. :rolleyes:

Thanks for a good start to the week there eastwest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Maybe they are not as hung up as you. Maybe using a mechanical object from another country doesn't dilute their citizenship or nationality as much as you breathlessly think it does. :rolleyes:

I never ever met a Sinner who was patriotic enough to pay his car insurance to the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Hurrache wrote: »
    The big eejit expects us to believe he went on and somehow managed to find that ball and retrieve it.

https://twitter.com/CaseyPeterJ/status/1046393789223440384?s=19

If he can swim to recover his golf ball, he has a really, really poor drive.

I never ever met a Sinner who was patriotic enough to pay his car insurance to the Republic of Ireland.

Burn everything English except.....

• Advertisement

Burn everything English except.....

Keep it up. Your breathlessly expressed suppositions say more about your level of political intelligence than you will probably ever know.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to find out something I didn't know though! - that an English company can use an EU number plate if they wish... without being considered traitors to queen and country, of course, although I am sure there will be Brexiteers who will breathlessly claim that they are. ;)

Before the thread turns to nonsense again, can the SF thing be taken elsewhere. We've read all the posts before, it's tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I see they're using an English bus too. Is it the Brexit bus, redecorated?
    You'd have thought that a party where you have to use the Irish version of your name (unless you're one of the leaders) would be able to find an Irish company to provide the bus? Or am I missing some subtle point?

You are missing a subtle point.

As I understand it, under Northern Ireland finance rules, political parties in Northern Ireland don't have to disclose the source of their donations (see DUP and Brexit campaign). So, hiring a bus in Northern Ireland out of Northern Ireland Sinn Fein funds means that unlike the other candidates, Sinn Fein don't have to explain where the money for their campaign is coming from.

The entertainment continues.

Firstly, Gallagher is still whingeing that he was unfairly treated and is seeking justice and fairness of his own undoings at that debate.

Secondly, Joan Freeman upon being elected to the Seanad said she'd donate her Seanad salary to Pieta House. She didn't. She donated it to a US based charity instead which offers services to the diapora over there. It may be splitting hairs, but it'll be an issue for a lot of people, including many who would fund raise or use the services of Pieata.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/joan-freeman-did-not-donate-seanad-salary-to-pieta-house-as-pledged-1.3646899

Firstly, Gallagher is still whingeing that he was unfairly treated and is seeking justice and fairness of his own undoings at that debate.

Secondly, Joan Freeman upon being elected to the Seanad said she'd donate her Seanad salary to Pieta House. She didn't. She donated it to a US based charity instead which offers services to the diapora over there. It may be splitting hairs, but it'll be an issue for a lot of people, including many who would fund raise or use the services of Pieata.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/joan-freeman-did-not-donate-seanad-salary-to-pieta-house-as-pledged-1.3646899

More explaining for Freeman to do. Not good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Oh ffs.

I have tried to give Freeman a chance. I can accept the Knock thing was silly teenager talk unless someone can find it more recently. I don't blame her for her sister or niece being in Iona. Even as a more-or-less atheist I don't mind her being religious as long as it doesn't impact her work. Her daughter campaigning for Yes is at least as much in her favour as her sister/niece (whom she presumably did not raise or have any large part in the upbringing of) being No for religious reasons.

Denying knowledge of Iona was fishy but the only thing I could actually put my finger on as "hrm". But I think I have now run out of rope to allow for the odd inconsistency or potentially innocent happenstance without it impacting my opinion of her.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Oh ffs.

I have tried to give Freeman a chance. I can accept the Knock thing was silly teenager talk unless someone can find it more recently. I don't blame her for her sister or niece being in Iona. Even as a more-or-less atheist I don't mind her being religious as long as it doesn't impact her work. Her daughter campaigning for Yes is at least as much in her favour as her sister/niece (whom she presumably did not raise or have any large part in the upbringing of) being No for religious reasons.

Denying knowledge of Iona was fishy but the only thing I could actually put my finger on as "hrm". But I think I have now run out of rope to allow for the odd inconsistency or potentially innocent happenstance without it impacting my opinion of her.

She is being interviewed by Sean O'Rourke now.

Missed the start, was she asked about the salary donation?

Missed the start, was she asked about the salary donation?

no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

She is being interviewed by Sean O'Rourke now.

She is doing great; best of them by far (other than Miggledy) but I would literally bet a thousand euro that if she gave Miggledy a list of worthy topics to highlight he'd just say OK and then make it happen.

It isn't like Michael D wants to draw attention to travellers being marginalised but he wants to sweep mental health issues under the rug.

Advertisement