Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

blanch152 wrote: »
    Should have been clearer. I meant before Hillery, Robinson and McAleese.
    Nonentities like Douglas Hyde and Eamon de Valera? What are you on about? What pray tell were Mrs McAleese's 'achievements'. What were Paddy Hilary's (though I am not suggesting that he was actively malign).

I remember when the Queen of England was driven into a militarised and occupied Dublin and condescended to say a couple of words in Irish McAleese responded with 'WOW' very Presidential ; I don't think.
    Does anyone recall Michael D having to apologise for the hurt caused by his remarks as McAleese had to in 2005.

As for Robinson she humiliated our nation by treating the Presidency as just another CV filler. Going off to be High Commissioner for Refugees ; alas for the poor refugees. Though psychopaths are uninterested in the harm they do to others ; so no doubt she sleeps soundly.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

In a very non-scientific exercise I did today, I asked 5 people to name all six candidates. Only one of the five could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I remember when the Queen of England was driven into a militarised and occupied Dublin and condescended to say a couple of words in Irish McAleese responded with 'WOW' very Presidential ; I don't think.
    Does anyone recall Michael D having to apologise for the hurt caused by his remarks as McAleese had to in 2005.

As for Robinson she humiliated our nation by treating the Presidency as just another CV filler. Going off to be High Commissioner for Refugees ; alas for the poor refugees. Though psychopaths are uninterested in the harm they do to others ; so no doubt she sleeps soundly.

What?

Hurrache wrote: »
    I9% is around the APR of an unsecured business loan from a bank.
    It is the rate demanded by SIPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I missed Dublin being occupied. O.o That was a very short and polite invasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Nonentities like Douglas Hyde and Eamon de Valera? What are you on about? What pray tell were Mrs McAleese's 'achievements'. What were Paddy Hilary's (though I am not suggesting that he was actively malign).

I remember when the Queen of England was driven into a militarised and occupied Dublin
    and condescended to say a couple of words in Irish McAleese responded with 'WOW' very Presidential ; I don't think.

What military force occupied Dublin?

nuac wrote: »
    What military force occupied Dublin?
    The Garda Siochana disgracefully but unsurprisingly turned Dublin into a second Palestine or Warsaw. Where was McAleese on May 18 2011? Stuffing her gob with roast beef and colcannon and gushing over the Queen of England.

This should have been the signal for mass revolution in Ireland instead the visit was disgracefully greeted with mild positive interest and platitudes about an evolving relationship.

Read a few history books. Your comparison to Palestine and Warsaw is astoundingly ignorant and dumb.

Mass revolution? You can't be taken seriously anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Garda Siochana disgracefully but unsurprisingly turned Dublin into a second Palestine or Warsaw. Where was McAleese on May 18 2011? Stuffing her gob with roast beef and colcannon and gushing over the Queen of England.

This should have been the signal for mass revolution in Ireland instead the visit was disgracefully greeted with mild positive interest and platitudes about an evolving relationship.

Warsaw ? It was a security operation to ensure that some gob****e didn't take a pop at the head of state of our nearest neighbour.

Was it inconvenient ? Yes but let's not use comparisons that aren't accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Almost as painfully insulting as JRMs stupid comments about the EU and Soviet Union.

You do yourself no favours comparing a security op for a visiting head of state to Warsaw or Palastine unless you can point me to the mass graves.

Bit sickening tbh. This stuff has meaning. How dare you use massacres and wretched human suffering to make a very silly point? Have you no dignity or shame to propagandise like Kellyanne Conway? Do you have the remotest concept of how disgustingly you are playing down Warsaw or Palastine by comparing it? Sure, continue to piss all over their graves but don't expect cheers for it.

Ooh, I broke my toenail, this is like Auschwitz! (Never forget the bowling green massacre)

Jesus.

PS. Besides, if you wanted to revolution against the Crown (visit) you were about ninety years too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Not sure what you mean by a 'militarised and occupied Dublin' but I do remember cringing when our President went WOW! Whatever one might think of the queen she would have way too much presence to do something as juvenile as that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

One post deleted and one poster will be serving a short ban. Please remember to read the charter, in particular:
    Please note that any post deemed to incite hatred or promote violence will be dealt with in the strictest possible manner. Whatever your politics we expect discussion in a manner fit for adults, but first and foremost human beings. Celebration/promotion/triumphing of murder, violence or aggression will result in an immediate banning from the forum and deletion of your posts.

Gallagher on RTE now for his turn as to why we should vote for him. "Mindless and meditation....I start every day being grateful for everything in my life". Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Gallagher voted yes in both Gay Marriage and Abortion referendums but didn't canvass in either he just said on S'OR show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,270 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Interesting to see the like 3-6th placers giving various reasons for not using posters, none of which are "I know I'm wasting my money". Pollution and littering risks are the main ones; but I'm sure they'd be using them if they thought they had the vaguest chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

jay0109 wrote: »
    Gallagher voted yes in both Gay Marriage and Abortion referendums but didn't canvass in either he just said on S'OR show

Very convenient of him to say so 3 years after the fact isn't it?

His absence from these monumental societal changes should not be let go, he didnt need to campaign but he deffinitely at the time should have declared his preferences before the votes if he wants people to take him seriously.

All he looks like now is someone checking which way the crowd ran and trying to jump in front saying "follow me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

jay0109 wrote: »
    Same! Maybe I should be President?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Hurrache wrote: »
    Gallagher on RTE now for his turn as to why we should vote for him. "Mindless and meditation....I start every day being grateful for everything in my life". Sigh.

I would think the word he used was actually "mindfulness" but on second thoughts maybe "mindless" is more appropriate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

VinLieger wrote: »
    Very convenient of him to say so 3 years after the fact isn't it?

His absence from these monumental societal changes should not be let go, he didnt need to campaign but he deffinitely at the time should have declared his preferences before the votes if he wants people to take him seriously.

All he looks like now is someone checking which way the crowd ran and trying to jump in front saying "follow me"

But who would ask him and why? He was an irrelevance.

Now if he had of put himself out there campaigning he *might* have raised his profile somewhat which would give his presidential spiel a bit more gravitas.
    But instead (like most of the rest of them) their grandeur and sense of public duty really only gets stirred when the top executive seat in the state is left with a towel on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

humberklog wrote: »
    But who would ask him and why? He was an irrelevance.

Now if he had of put himself out there campaigning he *might* have raised his profile somewhat which would give his presidential spiel a bit more gravitas.
    But instead (like most of the rest of them) their grandeur and sense of public duty really only gets stirred when the top executive seat in the state is left with a towel on it.

If everybody he impacted on over the last 7 years voted for him then ma..... nah dont think so.

The other Dragons are only running so they can have "former presidential candidate" in their tag lines - must go down well in the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

L1011 wrote: »
    Interesting to see the like 3-6th placers giving various reasons for not using posters, none of which are "I know I'm wasting my money". Pollution and littering risks are the main ones; but I'm sure they'd be using them if they thought they had the vaguest chance.

No, Gallagher was a front runner last time, spent over 300K and did not use posters.

I would think the word he used was actually "mindfulness" but on second thoughts maybe "mindless" is more appropriate.

Ha, yes, it was mindfulness. It seems to be a soundbite that many candidates seem to throw around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not sure what you mean by a 'militarised and occupied Dublin' but I do remember cringing when our President went WOW! Whatever one might think of the queen she would have way too much presence to do something as juvenile as that.
    Cringing is correct.
    Same type response you'd get from the Late Late show audience when some Z list celebrity from Holyoaks tells turnip head that she loves Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

No, Gallagher was a front runner last time, spent over 300K and did not use posters.
    he used posters on fixed items like bins in shopping centres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,206 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

he used posters on fixed items like bins in shopping centres

That must have saved effort later.

I have always felt we really missed out with Adi Roche.

She's shamelessly latched on to the Chernobyl 'brand' in relation to issues which had and have nothing whatsoever to do with it. She also spouts a lot of anti-nuclear power propaganda which is not remotely factual.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Any questions?

Yes, Mr. Gallagher, what did you do for the hospice in the 7 years since your last failed attempt to get your trotters under the table at the Áras? Before today's transparently manipulative photo op, I mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has anyone actually asked that of Gallagher? Seems like one of the first 'awkward' ones to sling his way: why only run for the Presidency if he's earnest about making a difference to others, then TD makes more sense from that fornt?

I daresay this thread should be renamed BTW, feels like it's very definitely the general Irish Presidency Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Unless he's had a long-standing relationship with the hospice, that's quite cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

pixelburp wrote: »

I daresay this thread should be renamed BTW, feels like it's very definitely the general Irish Presidency Thread.

The thread has veered a bit off track alright. I mean it is supposed to be about Michael D stating very clearly that he was seeking election for one term and one term only and of course once he got in he came out with how he 'would be influenced by the will of the people' (accompanied with his trademark smile)

Advertisement