Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

pixelburp wrote: »
    I daresay this thread should be renamed BTW, feels like it's very definitely the general Irish Presidency Thread.

Although on the other hand, the other stuff in thread is (or will very likely turn out to be) secondary to that announcement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The thread has veered a bit off track alright. I mean it is supposed to be about Michael D stating very clearly that he was seeking election for one term and one term only and of course once he got in he came out with how he 'would be influenced by the will of the people' (accompanied with his trademark smile)

It was covered and flogged to death by your good self.

Higgins also explained why he wanted to run again:
    “I am offering myself as a candidate because I am passionate about the challenges and possibilities in the coming years.

“I believe that together we can help Ireland to achieve its potential as a real republic, one where everyone can participate equally in the shaping of sustainable communities and new ideas.

“The Presidency plays an important role in bringing together the many threads that weave the past, present and future of our nation. The President is also a voice for Ireland in the world.”
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/i-never-asked-to-stay-in-a-particular-hotel-michael-d-higgins-defends-staying-in-3k-per-night-fivestar-accommodation-37357733.html

At this point you are free to either vote for him or not as you have all the information.
    If he wins, the people obviously wanted him as President. If he loses, no harm no foul. It's a win win for democracy ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The thread has veered a bit off track alright. I mean it is supposed to be about Michael D stating very clearly that he was seeking election for one term and one term only and of course once he got in he came out with how he 'would be influenced by the will of the people' (accompanied with his trademark smile)

Oh, give it a rest. You've made this point, repeatedly, and should be clear that you're in the minority opinion. It's obvious to anyone in this thread you have a pretty hard personal distaste toward the man blinding any discussion, and at this stage perhaps you should change the record and maybe join in the broader conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,206 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/gallagher-would-have-tested-constitutionality-of-property-bill-1.3648177

Gallagher would have tested constitutionality of property Bill

Sean Gallagher has said that if elected president in 2011, he would have considered referring a 2013 Bill on property rights to the Supreme Court to test its constitutionality.

Asked yesterday would he have used referral powers under Article 26 of the Constitution differently from President Michael D Higgins, Mr Gallagher said the Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2013 would have “merited consideration” for such a move.

[snip the usual sob story guff]

Asked on what basis, he said it was based on property rights. “[It is] the rights of the citizen to own their own home, which is the heart of everything,” he said.

Citizens have every right to own their own homes, they just have to pay for them first.
    The clue being that the banks hold the deeds of the property for the term of the mortgage.
    He was also asked about a video interview dating from 2012 where he made a comparison between his experience with “Tweetgate”, a tweet on RTE's Frontline in 2011, and victims of abuse in State institutions.

He told reporters he was not trying to say the events were comparable but that there were similarities in the processes.

“The point I was making in the video was that very often when an individual takes on an institution, the institutions do what the institutions do. They lock down to protect the institution rather than deal with the the issue.”

Asked would people be offended by him making that comparison, he said: “That was not my intention at all. It was literally to give the example. At the time it was current. If I was doing it today, I would have [compared] it to the HSE and the victims of the [CervicalCheck scandal].

Amazingly tone-deaf, totally insensitive, and grossly offensive. But it's all about Sean and that's all that matters. To Sean.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Citizens have every right to own their own homes, they just have to pay for them first.
    The clue being that the banks hold the deeds of the property for the term of the mortgage.

Amazingly tone-deaf, totally insensitive, and grossly offensive. But it's all about Sean and that's all that matters. To Sean.

I 100% agree with his sentiment - try taking on any institution of the state and watch them close over and attack you in any way they can so that their shortcomings are not publicized.

Health service, Gardai, councils, Rte, schools etc etc

The issue is never the issue. Winning is all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I 100% agree with his sentiment - try taking on any institution of the state and watch them close over and attack you in any way they can so that their shortcomings are not publicized.

Health service, Gardai, councils, Rte, schools etc etc

The issue is never the issue. Winning is all that matters

He's talking out of his arse, literally EVERY citizen in the country has the ability to take a case to the supreme court if a law is potentially unconstitutional, has anyone done this yet? No, if there was any chance of it being struck down as unconstitutional don't you think the likes of Solidarity/PBP or any one of the other "everything for free" groups would have taken a case on this to the court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Oh, give it a rest. You've made this point, repeatedly, and should be clear that you're in the minority opinion. It's obvious to anyone in this thread you have a pretty hard personal distaste toward the man blinding any discussion, and at this stage perhaps you should change the record and maybe join in the broader conversation.

Hey , have you forgotten that you're the one who suggested the thread should be renamed!
    I agreed with you as the thread had veered off topic.
    BTW I find it amusing when posters like yourself think you can speak for others ' It's obvious to anyone in this thread' .

At this point you are free to either vote for him or not as you have all the information./QUOTE]

The point is I don't have the information as Michael D remains holed up in the Phoenix park and is not doing interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

At this point you are free to either vote for him or not as you have all the information./QUOTE]

The point is I don't have the information as Michael D remains holed up in the Phoenix park and is not doing interviews!

He is doing interviews- not the same profile raising drive as other, but thats not needed.
    (Look at the newspapers he's not holed up anywhere at the moment;)

Debates - still to come, discount the first rte radio debate as it clashed with the presidents schedule (and iirc SG dodged it as well)

mrbrianj wrote: »

He has "done" interviews - not the same profile raising drive as others, but that's not needed.

Debates - not yet but he is down to do 3. The radio debate on RTE clashed with the presidents schedule (I dont think SG did that debate either?)

Oh yeah I forgot, he was 'grilled' by Mary Wilson!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,445 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mrbrianj wrote: »

He is doing interviews- not the same profile raising drive as other, but thats not needed.
    (Look at the newspapers he's not holed up anywhere at the moment;)

Debates - still to come, discount the first rte radio debate as it clashed with the presidents schedule (and iirc SG dodged it as well)

The self obsessed Gallagher tried to capitalise fully on the fact that the President had to fulfill his presidential function first and simply couldn't comply with RTE's schedule.

Yes he is

http://www.thejournal.ie/michael-d-higgins-re-election-4256633-Sep2018/

Im at the stage of starting to think you have some personal connection/issue with higgins as the honestly very petty one you keep falling back on as your excuse to not like him does not explain the level of resentment you keep displaying.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes he is

http://www.thejournal.ie/michael-d-higgins-re-election-4256633-Sep2018/

Im at the stage of not starting to think you have some personal connection/issue with higgins as the honestly very petty one you keep falling back on as your excuse to not like him does not explain the level of resentment you keep displaying.

I never said I didn't like him!
    I just feel uncomfortable with the fact that I knew when he said in 2011 that he was seeking one term only, that he was only saying it to help his election prospects and was not being truthful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I just feel uncomfortable with the fact that I knew when he said in 2011 that he was seeking one term only, that he was only saying it to help his election prospects and was not being truthful.

We get it, you have an issue, now move on.

Sigh countless posters have been over this, you have no way of proving with absolute certainty that at the time of the last election he was not being truthful and saying it to help his prospects.

Again he simply can have changed his mind, it happens to people every day, sometimes it takes many years. I know people who got into a relationship late teens early 20's both saying they never wanted children, 10 years down the line..... bang 2 kids, were they being untruthful too?

The reason I say you don't like him is you are automatically assuming the worst of him in that he lied 7 years ago. Jumping to that conclusion immediately instead of the far simpler and likelier possibility of him just changing his mind really makes it look like you are searching for some more palatable reason to be publicly against him as the real one is not one you are proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I see MDH posters appeared in Dublin over the weekend.

From memory, the picture used seems to be the same as last time - with a different tagline.

I did have a little chuckle when I saw one beside a Ni Riada poster - MDH's are noticably smaller - wonder if that's them trying to send a subliminal joke on the "Miggledy" perception/memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hurrache wrote: »
    We get it, you have an issue, now move on.
    Yeah the point has been made ; it isn't completely unreasonable but having made it and found that it resonates with no one else one must move on or become first a crank and then a bore.

Or alternatively honestly explain the reasons for your dislike. What has he done wrong as President that you disliked (you may as well park the two term one term thing because you and Seanie Gee seem to be the only ones who cares ;))

wrt Dublin barriers and policing on day Queen of England visited
    Rhineshark wrote: »
    Do you have the remotest concept of how disgustingly you are playing down Warsaw or Palestine by comparing

Is it comparable to
    They gave to their children an irrational hatred of Jews in the same way that people in Northern Ireland transmitted to their children an irrational hatred of Catholics
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcaleese-protestant-children-taught-to-hate-catholics-186673.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No, no, no. No matter what you try it's absolutely ridiculous for you to compare the Queen of Englands visit to what happened in Warsaw and what's currently happening in Palestine. You're really stretching it trying to bring in Northern Ireland now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Oh yeah I forgot, he was 'grilled' by Mary Wilson!:D

He answered the swiss hotel, financials, the intruder and running again. Can you think of something else to keep your home fires burning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just catching up on the Gallagher interview on Sean rourke yest. Car crash moments-you could hear the panic rising in his voice when asked some specific questions about his FF fundraising days.

He tried his best to shut down o rourke but it didn’t work and the listener was left puzzled at best. What’s he got to hide on this?

He made some silly comment about Sean o rourke being like his uncle who only sings one song. Came across badly

Later in the interview He was unconvincing about what he’s been doing since 2011.

Overall came across as insincere and full of waffle.

I’d say 3rd place might be his final position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

It's not an issue with most people.
    It's perfectly understandable that someone facing into a seven year term might be reluctant to consider doing more than that. That's all it is, I'd say get over it, everybody else has. Even the shinners aren't attacking him on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

blackwhite wrote: »

From memory, the picture used seems to be the same as last time - with a different tagline.

I did have a little chuckle when I saw one beside a Ni Riada poster - MDH's are noticably smaller - wonder if that's them trying to send a subliminal joke on the "Miggledy" perception/memes.
    Or the shinners' posters are bigger?
    When you have unlimited funds from your oil business, you can afford to go large.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Just catching up on the Gallagher interview on Sean rourke yest. Car crash moments-you could hear the panic rising in his voice when asked some specific questions about his FF fundraising days.

He tried his best to shut down o rourke but it didn’t work and the listener was left puzzled at best. What’s he got to hide on this?

He made some silly comment about Sean o rourke being like his uncle who only sings one song. Came across badly

Later in the interview He was unconvincing about what he’s been doing since 2011.

Heard it myself. Gallagher should have asked SOR if he had any tweets to read out. And keep asking it if SOR kept up that line.

blackwhite wrote: »

a piece of trivial information. Today I saw a guy driving an old northern reg VW Passat putting up posters of Michael D around Dublin. I wonder how he assembles his team and do they get paid?

Who would be second in your view and what sort of % will they get?
    Interesting point made by one interviewer- no milenials out there will know Gallagher as he’s been off TV for years now so his 500k votes he got last time will surely drop considerably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The fact that Higgins feels confident he can serve another 7 year term at his age highlights how ridiculously easy the job is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The self obsessed Gallagher tried to capitalise fully on the fact that the President had to fulfill his presidential function first and simply couldn't comply with RTE's schedule.
    Higgins to take part in three presidential debates
    Mr Higgins will appear on RTɒs Prime Time on Tuesday 23 October and Pat Kenny’s Big Debate: Presidential Special on Virgin Media on Wednesday 17 October.

However, he will not take part in the debate on RTɒs Claire Byrne Live on Monday 15 October and the Tonight Show on Virgin Media on 24 October.

Mr Higgins also confirmed he would take part in a radio debate on Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadhra on 13 October.

He expressed hope that he would have an opportunity to give an interview in Irish, adding that he was sure Ms Ní Riada felt the same.
    Gallagher joining in a debate as gaeilge ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Higgins to take part in three presidential debates
    Mr Higgins will appear on RTɒs Prime Time on Tuesday 23 October and Pat Kenny’s Big Debate: Presidential Special on Virgin Media on Wednesday 17 October.

However, he will not take part in the debate on RTɒs Claire Byrne Live on Monday 15 October and the Tonight Show on Virgin Media on 24 October.

Mr Higgins also confirmed he would take part in a radio debate on Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadhra on 13 October.

He expressed hope that he would have an opportunity to give an interview in Irish, adding that he was sure Ms Ní Riada felt the same.
    Gallagher joining in a debate as gaeilge ? :pac:

No - TG4 had planned a debate, but were forced to cancel as only MDH and Ní Ríada have sufficient fluency in Irish. Presumably, Higgins either wants to talk to Nuacht TG4's regular bulletins or RnaG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

No - TG4 had planned a debate, but were forced to cancel as only MDH and Ní Ríada have sufficient fluency in Irish. Presumably, Higgins either wants to talk to Nuacht TG4's regular bulletins or RnaG.
    I understand the merits of having a President that is fluent, but it's not the norm... nor dare I say should it be. I think MDH is a fine President, but I'm not sure we should discriminate on this basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I don't think being proficient in Irish is important. I'm Irish and went to school in Ireland and I know hardly any Irish. I'm no less Irish because I could never get my head around the language, if anything I left school with a real dislike of it as a language. And I'm not unusual in that.

It may not be a popular or profitable opinion but I know more people like me than I do people with a half decent working Irish language vocabulary.

It's a pity there's not a bit more honesty to the acceptance of the fact that it's a language that's neither loved or understood by a lot of the nation.

Advertisement