Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,460 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

alaimacerc wrote: »
    "Sinister". Same word as Ni Riada is using, to describe questions about... the exact same matter she went on the radio to broadcast to all that might hear.

Must have been word-of-the-week in the briefing pack.

I enjoy word bingo too. Well done! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not getting your children vaccinated = anti-vaxx

But we don't know that she hasn't. Just that she won't say either way. Either because, as she claims, she's respecting their privacy -- belatedly, having just violated it on the very same question earlier. Or she because she hasn't, and wants to keep it deniable. Or conversely, she has, and wants to keep her climbdown somehow dignified in her own mind, and wants her anti-vaxxer fans to have room to imagine otherwise.

I enjoy word bingo too. Well done! :rolleyes:

Housey-housey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,207 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I do happen to think Anti Vaxx scaremongering is crackpot stuff.

Asking questions about the information available isn't crackpot in a climate were nobody has any trust or faith in the competence of our HSE.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions
    Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Francie you can give over with the empty "republican" appeal to emotion.

• Advertisement

Do you believe there was a lot of confusion and misinformation around at the time?

The HSE certsinly did as they addressed it.
    Fine Gael's vice president and other Dail deputies raised concerns at the time, are they Anti Vaxxers today too?

You guys are running out of road fast here.

Water John wrote: »
    Alaimerec, searched for any recent material on Ni O'Riada, absolutley zilch, nada since Sept 17. That's 3 weeks off the radar, poor campaign manager.

I heard the "salary" story on the radio a second time, and missed the source again. Still not showing up on "news" searches. Very odd. Maybe I'm dreaming unusually vividly during my micro-naps...

Do you believe there was a lot of confusion and misinformation around at the time?
    I believe Ni Riada was contributing to it.
    Fine Gael's vice president and other Dail deputies raised concerns at the time, are they Anti Vaxxers today too?
    Did they go on the radio to say they'd refused their kids the jab, and then refuse to say if they'd since had it? If so, they're in the "trying to have it both ways" camp that Ni Riada is in.
    You guys are running out of road fast here.

Personally I think you're running out of plausible deniability. If that's even the right tense.

I believe Ni Riada was contributing to it.

Did they go on the radio to say they'd refused their kids the jab, and then refuse to say if they'd since had it? If so, they're in the "trying to have it both ways" camp that Ni Riada is in.

Personally I think you're running out of plausible deniability. If that's even the right tense.

I am not denying anything. Maybe she is an anti - vaxxer in disguise. All I am saying is that there is no basis for the insinuation that she is anti vaxx. Somebody please present some evidence that she is.
    She raised concerns about the misinformation and availability of clear information as did other representatives including Fine Gael's at a time when there was intense confusion and mis-information being targeted at social media users.
    Yet she is the evil one.
    Has Craughwell and John Paul Phelan being allowed to carry on with out the taunts being thrown at them?

Whipped up by dolts like Ni Riada, yes, yes there was.

• Advertisement

Whipped up by dolts like Ni Riada, yes, yes there was.

Factually wrong. Do some basic research. The campaign on social media was well developed before she spoke.

Factually wrong. Do some basic research. The campaign on social media was well developed before she spoke.

She should have known better than to contribute to the nonsense. But she took the populist path.

She should have known better than to contribute to the nonsense. But she took the populist path.

She is a public rep, it is her job to query and reflect the concerns of her constituents.

Whipping up baseless fears is a strange defintion of public representation.

You've very subtly moved on from denying that she was anti-vaxx, to claiming that she was doing some sort of public duty by whipping up anti-vaxx sentiment.

Don't think for a second that the thinking voter can't see through these tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

She is a public rep, it is her job to query and reflect the concerns of her constituents.

Would Sean be proud of Liadh running for the Aras, Francie ? Absolutely he would. I love his music. Never liked SF, but there we go.

Whipping up baseless fears is a strange defintion of public representation.

You've very subtly moved on from denying that she was anti-vaxx, to claiming that she was doing some sort of public duty by whipping up anti-vaxx sentiment.

Don't think for a second that the thinking voter can't see through these tactics.

:D:D I have been saying she was doing her job as a public representative since the start and that I think she should stay at that job as she has more to offer in it. That is why I will be voting for the incumbent.

But don't let that stop you from insinuating some more stuff. Night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Water John

At a time of the loss of Emma Mhic Mathuna lets be very clear on the vax message. It saves lives.

"The cause" is more important than the life of any individual.

I am not denying anything. Maybe she is an anti - vaxxer in disguise.
    It's not a very good disguise. A better one would have involved not withdrawing permission for the vaccination in the first place. Or at least not going on the radio to publicly preen about having done so. Or failing both of those things, to fully address the matter in the terms she herself first raised it. Rather than attempting to shroud herself with this "sinister hounding" guff she's now giving us.
    She raised concerns about the misinformation and availability of clear information [...]
    That's a remarkably generous spin to put on events. Well, if it would be if you were extending to anyone but a SFer!
    Da Paper wrote:
    In 2016 the MEP said that she would not allow her daughter to receive the HPV vaccine. Noting the HSE was in “in a shambles”, she asked: “how much can you trust this is 100 per cent safe”. Speaking on Cork local radio, she said she had “sent a note to the school” saying she didn’t want her daughter to get the vaccine.
    She's told once by the HSE the vaccine's good, and she reckons neither's to be trusted. But then she's told again, and she's fully supportive -- in some general, non-committal way, at least. Let's hope she's not told again, she might flip-flop back the other way.
    as did other representatives including Fine Gael's at a time when there was intense confusion and mis-information being targeted at social media users.
    Yet she is the evil one.
    The "evil" one? No, they're all a bunch of shameless, empty-headed populists, that's all. Nothing in the least unusual, sad to say.
    Has Craughwell and John Paul Phelan being allowed to carry on with out the taunts being thrown at them?
    I'm happy to taunt either of those any day of the week, but neither is running for president. (... any more, in poor aul' Gerry's case.) So this is a tad whatabouty.

Water John wrote: »
    At a time of the loss of Emma Mhic Mathuna lets be very clear on the vax message. It saves lives.

Could you be any clearer than this?
    I would, of course, encourage all parents to get their children fully vaccinated, including with the HPV vaccine and indeed there is recent research saying that this particular vaccine should be extended to boys, which I would also support.

A vaccine that can save a person’s life has to be promoted

But of course we have the doubters, insinuators and usual alligators trying to confuse that message.

• Advertisement

It's not a very good disguise. A better one would have involved not withdrawing permission for the vaccination in the first place. Or at least not going on the radio to publicly preen about having done so. Or failing both of those things, to fully address the matter in the terms she herself first raised it. Rather than attempting to shroud herself with this "sinister hounding" guff she's now giving us.

That's a remarkably generous spin to put on events. Well, if it would be if you were extending to anyone but a SFer!

She's told once by the HSE the vaccine's good, and she reckons neither's to be trusted. But then she's told again, and she's fully supportive -- in some general, non-committal way, at least. Let's hope she's not told again, she might flip-flop back the other way.

The "evil" one? No, they're all a bunch of shameless, empty-headed populists, that's all. Nothing in the least unusual, sad to say.

I'm happy to taunt either of those any day of the week, but neither is running for president. (... any more, in poor aul' Gerry's case.) So this is a tad whatabouty.
    I think you have done very well to make something of this, but as usual it doesn't stack up against what she actually said and I don't think you even know what she ACTUALLY said from your comment above:

In that interview on Cork’s 96fm Opinion Line in September 2016, Ní Riada said she had made the decision for one of her daughters not to receive the HPV vaccine, despite her older daughter having already received it.

She said that she had been unaware of potential side effects from the vaccine before she began to read about it, and had heard numerous accounts of people suffering damaging side effects.

“It’s a hard call, it’s a tough decision to make,” Ní Riada said, adding that it was a private, personal choice for each parent.

In the interview, she also said that from stories she’d heard “clearly there are a number of people that were affected by side effects” but that there were thousands who’d received the vaccine who hadn’t.

“I’m not advocating that anybody shouldn’t give the vaccine to their child,” she said. “I’m still in two minds about it.”

The simplistic 'Republican = bad - anyone who alleges something against a republican = good.' is getting very tired as we move away from those not involved in the conflict/war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

eastwest wrote: »
    She's not a republican. She's a member of sinn fein, a party that uses the word 'republican' as a brand but that doesn't espouse republican values.
    Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not getting your children injected with something you cannot get clear trustworthy info on = good parenting to me.

To keep insinuating something and not backing it up = downright sinister political opportunism.

All of which is equivalent to anti-vaxxer nonsense.

I note that Vicky Phelan last week called on Ni Riadh to clarify whether she had her daughters vaccinated. I suppose she is also guilty of downright sinister political opportunism?

https://extra.ie/2018/10/05/news/irish-news/vicky-phelan-liadh-ni-riada-hpv

"I don’t think anybody should be forced to say whether or not their child is going to be vaccinated. But in her particular case, I do think she has to come out and say it because she is running for a Presidential election."

Pretty much sums up my position on the issue.

So the bandwagon was already rolling when she jumped on it?

So the bandwagon was already rolling when she jumped on it?

Along with Fine Gael deputies, independent deputies and thousands of people who were confused by the conflicting information.

In the real world that is, where people voice their concerns all the time about a myriad of things.

But not some who seem to always make the right-on choice for their kids. Would that we were all so assured and competent.

Have you any actual evidence that this woman is anti-vaxx blanch152? You have been asked to show it many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its very simple. If you don't want to talk about your child's vaccination status, don't start talking about your child's vaccination status.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its very simple. If you don't want to talk about your child's vaccination status, don't start talking about your child's vaccination status.

:D:D As if the serial petrified anti-republicans are going to take anything she says as adequate.

We all know what the reaction would be, they would actually want to see the injection marks.
    Fair play to her for nipping that in bud.

Along with Fine Gael deputies, independent deputies and thousands of people who were confused by the conflicting information.

In the real world that is, where people voice their concerns all the time about a myriad of things.

But not some who seem to always make the right-on choice for their kids. Would that we were all so assured and competent.

Have you any actual evidence that this woman is anti-vaxx blanch152? You have been asked to show it many times.

I am just asking the same question as Vicky Phelan.
    All of which is equivalent to anti-vaxxer nonsense.

I note that Vicky Phelan last week called on Ni Riadh to clarify whether she had her daughters vaccinated. I suppose she is also guilty of downright sinister political opportunism?

https://extra.ie/2018/10/05/news/irish-news/vicky-phelan-liadh-ni-riada-hpv

"I don’t think anybody should be forced to say whether or not their child is going to be vaccinated. But in her particular case, I do think she has to come out and say it because she is running for a Presidential election."

Pretty much sums up my position on the issue.

The evidence is clear from her radio interview in 2016. She brought up her children's vaccinations, she needs to clear it up. The longer it goes on, the more it looks like she has something to hide.

:D:D As if the serial petrified anti-republicans are going to take anything she says as adequate.

You would want to start showing a bit of respect to people. This is what Emma Mhic Mhathuna had to say before she died:

https://extra.ie/2018/10/08/news/politics/emma-mhic-mhathuna-sinn-fein

"Ms Mhic Mhathúna told Extra.ie: ‘Using myself and Vicky’s name in the campaign isn’t on and she needs to focus on Ireland and not use us to gain brownie points, especially when she’s so secretive about her own family.

‘Myself and Vicky have been to hell and back and we did that for our families, not to be turned into political footballs. It’s a low blow and, quite frankly, I’m getting tired of cheap shots from Sinn Féin. I’ve enough on my plate without being dragged into this.’"

I suppose though that in SF minds, Vicky Phelan and Emma Mhic Mhatuna are "serial petrified anti-republicans" for wanting Liadh Ni Riain to answer a simple question.

• Advertisement

In the interview, she also said that from stories she’d heard “clearly there are a number of people that were affected by side effects”

Except that wasn't true, was it.

Advertisement