Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,460 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

YOU would rather?

I thought neither yourself nor happyman were affiliated with SF?

Yes, I would rather meaning nothing more than I would presume anyone with integrity would feel the same.
    You seeing conspiracies again? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Then why pick a relative unknown using that criteria you posted when there are many more who fit the criteria, with a higher profile? Doesn't make any sense from a party which is fairly astute at these kind of things.

There aren't that many who fit the criteria. So many of them have skeletons in the closet, or infamous relations or have been too close to Adams in the past. Of course, the other criterion we haven't mentioned is that the candidate has to be expendable in the sense that if elected President, they won't be needed again. That rules out the young tyros in Sinn Fein like Doherty and McDonald who have other ambitions and all of the older ones have baggage.

So no baggage, young, personable, electable to popular positions and expendable. Can't see anyone else other than Ni Riadh. Caoimhin was another possibility but the slightly unhinged grandad with a beard probably didn't make the poll numbers.

blanch152 wrote: »
    There aren't that many who fit the criteria. So many of them have skeletons in the closet, or infamous relations or have been too close to Adams in the past. Of course, the other criterion we haven't mentioned is that the candidate has to be expendable in the sense that if elected President, they won't be needed again. That rules out the young tyros in Sinn Fein like Doherty and McDonald who have other ambitions and all of the older ones have baggage.

So no baggage, young, personable, electable to popular positions and expendable. Can't see anyone else other than Ni Riadh. Caoimhin was another possibility but the slightly unhinged grandad with a beard probably didn't make the poll numbers.

It's always the grand sinister conspiracy with you. :):)

Yeh, McGuinness was 'expendable' and wasn't needed again. :) Do you ever read what you write?

Yeh, McGuinness was 'expendable' and wasn't needed again. :) Do you ever read what you write?

No grand old conspiracy.

Gay Mitchell was expendable.

Patrick Hillery was expendable.

Brian Lenihan Sr. was expendable.

Michael D. Higgins was expendable.

None of them were needed by their political parties in the medium term, hence they were suitable Presidential candidates. I am just applying the same principle to Sinn Fein. The difference for them is that the older unneeded politicians - Ferris, Ellis, O'Snodaigh, Quinlivan, Adams - are unelectable as President, and many of the younger ones - Doherty, McDonald, O'Reilly, O'Broin etc - are either too ambitious or are needed to hold down Dail seats.

Perhaps you could give me an example of a suitable candidate that Sinn Fein overlooked given you have claimed that "there are many more who fit the criteria, with a higher profile".

No grand old conspiracy.

Gay Mitchell was expendable.

Patrick Hillery was expendable.

Brian Lenihan Sr. was expendable.

Michael D. Higgins was expendable.

None of them were needed by their political parties in the medium term, hence they were suitable Presidential candidates. I am just applying the same principle to Sinn Fein. The difference for them is that the older unneeded politicians - Ferris, Ellis, O'Snodaigh, Quinlivan, Adams - are unelectable as President, and many of the younger ones - Doherty, McDonald, O'Reilly, O'Broin etc - are either too ambitious or are needed to hold down Dail seats.

Perhaps you could give me an example of a suitable candidate that Sinn Fein overlooked given you have claimed that "there are many more who fit the criteria, with a higher profile".

You are talking about candidates put forward by parties who seen the Aras as a reward.
    And no, I don't want to play 'go down the rabbit hole with blanch' by naming candidates for you to rubbish.

• Advertisement

You are talking about candidates put forward by parties who seen the Aras as a reward.
    And no, I don't want to play 'go down the rabbit hole with blanch' by naming candidates for you to rubbish.

Look, you posted this:
    Then why pick a relative unknown using that criteria you posted when there are many more who fit the criteria, with a higher profile? Doesn't make any sense from a party which is fairly astute at these kind of things.

All I am asking is for some examples of what you were talking about.

Look, you posted this:

And I said, No, I don't want to play your game.

If you don't think there are more high profile members of SF well then I think you may have been living under a rock.

You were probably the first to find and post what you thought was some dirt on this candidate. You will just do the same and we will be down that rabbit hole again. Big yawn to that.

If you don't think there are more high profile members of SF well then I think you may have been living under a rock.

You were probably the first to find and post what you thought was some dirt on this candidate. You will just do the same and we will be down that rabbit hole again. Big yawn to that.

Of course, there are more high profile members of SF, but none of them fit the profile of a Presidency candidate as I set out.

Of course, there are more high profile members of SF, but none of them fit the profile of a Presidency candidate as I set out.

Eh, you weren't picking them Blanch, SF were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Look, you posted this:

of course you are not a shinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Called him out there Blanch. Can't or won't answer the question. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

SF is fairly astute at there things ? When did that happen ? Perhaps in their own perception, I don't share it.

Nevertheless, it is the case that this is the first significant political judgement SF's current leader has made, and it seems to be backfiring badly. More experienced party leaders, like Varadkar and Martin, looked at the situation and decided not to run a candidate ("Only Daniel O'Donnell could beat Michael D"). .I suspect they're not remotely surprised he's polling at 70%.

SF will at the very least bear a significant financial cost for this mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The illness which killed McGuinness is genetic and degenerative. I wonder if he knew it was in the post and decided that a shot at the presidency was worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Alan_P wrote: »
    SF is fairly astute at there things ? When did that happen ? Perhaps in their own perception, I don't share it.

Nevertheless, it is the case that this is the first significant political judgement SF's current leader has made, and it seems to be backfiring badly. More experienced party leaders, like Varadkar and Martin, looked at the situation and decided not to run a candidate ("Only Daniel O'Donnell could beat Michael D"). .I suspect they're not remotely surprised he's polling at 70%.

Plus you'd think MDH would be a president SF could row in behind - 'soft' republican, leftie, gaeilgeoir - as much as any 'establishment' politician I can think of really. It's a bit of a conundrum: why were they so keen to force a competition unless they thought they could make a serious impact on the race, if not actually win it? And if they were serious about that, why did they go with such a low-key candidate? If they genuinely believed Ni Riada would really resonate with the the public once they got to know her, that shows poor judgement on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Plus you'd think MDH would be a president SF could row in behind - 'soft' republican, leftie, gaeilgeoir - as much as any 'establishment' politician I can think of really. It's a bit of a conundrum: why were they so keen to force a competition unless they thought they could make a serious impact on the race, if not actually win it? And if they were serious about that, why did they go with such a low-key candidate? If they genuinely believed Ni Riada would really resonate with the the public once they got to know her, that shows poor judgement on their part.

When were they ever known for anything else ?
    Back on track, the Higgins machine is rollercoasting to another term.

seamus wrote: »
    The illness which killed McGuinness is genetic and degenerative. I wonder if he knew it was in the post and decided that a shot at the presidency was worth it?

Or maybe, just maybe, the new female leader of SF had a look at the presidency and wondered, can we find somebody of a similar age to run for the park.

Mary Robinson was 46
    Mary McAleese was 47

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or maybe, just maybe, the new female leader of SF had a look at the presidency and wondered, can we find somebody of a similar age to run for the park.

Mary Robinson was 46
    Mary McAleese was 47

Or just MLM gravitating toward another nice, respectable middle-class wife and mother, as I'm sure her enemies in the party will be muttering if Ni Riada flops as badly as it looks like she will.

Or just MLM gravitating toward another nice, respectable middle-class wife and mother, as I'm sure her enemies in the party will be muttering if Ni Riada flops as badly as it looks like she will.

Well it is more credible than blanch's checklist or seamus's insulting conspiracy theory that a man and party would use his imminent demise as a cynical opportunity to gain the Aras.

First full debate about to begin. Fireworks incoming?

Personally I think this one will be respectful, anyone holding fireworks will wait until the televised debate to ignite them, to maximise the impact, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

First full debate about to begin. Fireworks incoming?

Personally I think this one will be respectful, anyone holding fireworks will wait until the televised debate to ignite them, to maximise the impact, so to speak.

I don't think Sean Gallagher will play onto his stumps on this debate but it's coming.

• Advertisement

Starting off with transparency of the money spent.

And here's Sean Gallagher talking nonsense about transparency. Is his business dealings transparent ?

My first time ever hearing some of these candidates speaking ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

Micky D is coming across as very cocky on his expenses. Sighing and huffing at questions and waffling answers. Sounds like a man who already thinks he has this in the bag and hugely frustrated having to go through this election thing.

I'm impressed with the Sinn Fein candidate(I don't want to butcher her name). She was direct and seems to be respectful to the current office holder unlike Peter Casey who seems very aggressive.

touts wrote: »
    Micky D is coming across as very cocky on his expenses. Sighing and huffing at questions and waffling answers. Sounds like a man who already thinks he has this in the bag and hugely frustrated having to go through this election thing.

How ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

This isn’t a debate.

Peter Casey is a disgrace.

Peter Casey is coming across very badly in his comments.

Michael D is taking a few punches here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Moderate.

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    This isn’t a debate.

Peter Casey is a disgrace.

Very poor. Peter Casey seems like he's there to act the bollocks and not have the other two get dirty.

Advertisement