Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automate Manual Ball Valve

• 10-07-2018 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

I have a manual ball valve with a lever to turn on/ off the flow to the rads ie. hot water only or both hot water & heating
    I was thinking, if it was possible, to automate this by simply removing the handle and replacing it with a motorized valve head. Has anybody tried this?
    Any reason why it would not work?
    Would I need to modify the shaft on the valve?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This was discussed before on a thread about a year ago. If I remember correctly, the overall consensus was that the idea was over engineering a simple enough requirement. In other words, just fit a decent zone valve and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

K.Flyer wrote: »
    This was discussed before on a thread about a year ago. If I remember correctly, the overall consensus was that the idea was over engineering a simple enough requirement. In other words, just fit a decent zone valve and be done with it.

Here's the thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105701323

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What you are looking for is an actuator like this :

just get an ordinary motorised valve instead

unless you want to use some kinda servo motor thingy to regulate the amount of heat dumped to somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

I was simply looking for an easy way of controlling the valve without having to drain the system. Thanks for all the responses.
    Seems like a non-runner and the solution is to replace it with a complete motorized valve.
    Thanks again

Advertisement