Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy woes

Options
  • 10-07-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi Ladies,

Im more writing for reassurance/sanity check than anything else....I'm currently 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant 😊 we're over the moon about it but I can't help googling every little twinge I have, and when I do it's all horror stories online!

I haven't had much morning sickness, just mild nausea on and off, and according to the internet that's a bad sign?!

I know that these sad things do happen, but are they really as common as th interest makes out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Step away from the internet! You will stress yourself out. You will find things that contradict each other and if you look hard enough, everything you are doing will be proven dangerous. Just try to relax, I know it can be a stressful time but try to think of each day as another day with your baby and you will see the time fly by. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Dear Beanie,

I've moved your thread to a more appropriate forum. Please read the charter in full before continuing to post.

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Beanie5 wrote: »
    I haven't had much morning sickness, just mild nausea on and off, and according to the internet that's a bad sign?!

Absolute balderdash! I had the same and am now 26 weeks and getting the feck kicked out of me by a very healthy foetus.

You're going to get twinges and cramps and you'll worry. I try to take a que sera sera attitude to the whole thing: worrying won't make something bad not happen, or make it happen. Try and get enough sleep, eat right, and try not to worry too much. If you think something is very wrong go to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bear18

Hi Ladies,

Im more writing for reassurance/sanity check than anything else....I'm currently 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant 😊 we're over the moon about it but I can't help googling every little twinge I have, and when I do it's all horror stories online!

I know that these sad things do happen, but are they really as common as th interest makes out?

Beanie5,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. You will worry about everything, but try relax and take each day as it comes. Not everyone will have morning sickness.

Best of luck for a happy and healthy pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

As the above poster says, the internet is not your friend when pregnant. Far better to download yourself one of the pregnancy apps and follow that for info on baby development and common symptoms rather than driving yourself nuts with doctor Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

I am terrible hypochondriac, even when not pregnant, so I know the feeling. It can be hard to stay away from google when you’re worried and don’t want to feel like a nutter bothering the doctor so I would recommend websites like the NHS or Mayo Clinic which have reputable advice.
    Also, I had very little morning sickness, just on and off nausea And it only lasted a couple of weeks and I’m now 14 weeks pregnant. If you’re really worrying I’d recommend maybe paying for an early scan for peace of mind. I paid for tests and early scan and I’m thinking of another one because it really does help with anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I have had two baby girls and never any morning sickness. My sister had none on her first, a week or two on her second and was very nauseous for about six weeks on her third.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Like many others have said, I had next to no morning sickness and am now over 26weeks pregnant. I got sick about 3 times in total. Symptoms seemed to disappear altogether around the 8/10 week mark which I'd heard was normal too but couldn't help myself worrying. It's totally normal to be anxious in early pregnancy, and it's really only as you reach major milestones that you start to relax.

We had a private scan at 8 weeks and it was the best money we ever spent. Great peace of mind while waiting on the hospital scan which we had at 13weeks. We had another private scan around 17weeks to keep us going while we waited for our big scan at 21weeks, which again was fantastic peace of mind.

Best of luck with the pregnancy, every day further along is another day closer to viability!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

Thanks All, that's actually made me feel a lot better!

I think it's just my symptoms have changed the last few days - by the end of the day now I'm so bloated I sometimes get little cramps - and I think that's what threw me. Will be chatting to my GP tomorrow anyway so I think that will help too.

Cash_Q I was actually looking at a private early scan centre in cork, I might book in for next week. The 12 week wait just seems so long!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I didn’t get morning sickness either, just felt sick if I didn’t eat little and often, I also got terrible bloating and couldn’t do up my trousers at 5 weeks!��
    As everyone has said step away from google and chill out. As for early scans, I personally didn’t want one, so much can happen in the first 12 weeks and there is nothing that can be done if anything is wrong, what will be will be. At twelve weeks you know you’re in for a very good chance that all will be well, so I left it till the twelve week scan, that way you see a good sized little bean that you can clearly see!☺️ Sadly waiting is the name of the game with being pregnant, so you have to learn to go with the flow!�� ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

No morning sickness for me either! Only nausea if I didn't eat, so if I lazed in bed instead of hopping up and gettikng brekkie then I felt a bit unwell. Now 34 weeks and all going well. Agree with only looking at reputable sites like nhs. A whole load of nonsense of the www so be sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Only got morning sickness on one out of four pregnancies. Step away from Dr. Google. Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Thanks All, that's actually made me feel a lot better!

I think it's just my symptoms have changed the last few days - by the end of the day now I'm so bloated I sometimes get little cramps - and I think that's what threw me. Will be chatting to my GP tomorrow anyway so I think that will help too.

Cash_Q I was actually looking at a private early scan centre in cork, I might book in for next week. The 12 week wait just seems so long!!!

I just had small bit of nausea for the first few weeks and never actually got sick. Had loads of cramps right up to20 weeks. It's from the uterus growing apparently so it's a good sign.

I wasted my pregnancy worrying and my baby is 10 months now and happy and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Beanie5 wrote:

We paid around 100, sure we would have spent that in the pub if I wasn't pregnant :P
    I personally found it much better than waiting until 12 weeks to know that everything looks healthy and well, heartbeat can be detected from 6/7 weeks, seeing that is priceless.

As for the cramps, one sonographer explained to me that it's caused by your womb stretching and growing to accommodate your little one. Your womb also 'lifts' (moves) from low in your pelvis up towards your belly button, causing more sensations/cramping that you wouldn't be used to.

Cramps can also be caused by digestion and changes in your bowel movements, so try not to panic over every little feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Anywhere near Dublin in the coming weeks? The Evie clinic in the Beacon do free first trimester scan. Or at least did a few months ago, and they are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I didn’t have any morning sickness either and my very healthy 6 month old is currently asleep in my arms. Everyone is different and the internet will give you the average experience but not all of us are average.

Totally agree about the early scan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all the advice, it's definitely calmed me down and made me relax a bit!

Also the morning sickness has now hit full force so maybe I should have been careful what I wished for 😛

Advertisement