Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting to students

Options
  • 10-07-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I have advertised a student village apartment that i own

I have stated the apartment can be rented as a whole or one bedroom at a time

students and non students have shown interest

One person is a single mother with a baby I assume she is not a student and is probably on welfare

Advise me please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

She may be a student. It wouldn’t be fair in the other renters having a kid in the house.

I’ve three in my house so speak from experience!! Totally a different dynamic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,949 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not safe for the child to be living in a student village. Next please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

beaufoy wrote:
    Advise me please

On what? No way is a place in a student village the place for a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Next please.

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Students shouldnt be living with non-students..... its a brewing ground for conflict.
    I lived in a half and half house with French girls who wanted to party midweek and bring over a french horde of locusts on cheap Ryanair flights. Go one way or the other but not half and half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Won't renting to non-students constitute a change of use requiring planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Graham wrote: »
    Won't renting to non-students constitute a change of use requiring planning permission?

The student village was built to take advantage of section 25 tax relief, and as such had to be rented to students only 2004-14
    But the lease is silent on renting restrictions from when the tax relief was reached

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

beaufoy wrote: »
    The student village was built to take advantage of section 25 tax relief, and as such had to be rented to students only 2004-14
    But the lease is silent on renting restrictions from when the tax relief was reached

Outside of tax relief or the head lease, my understanding is student accommodation is a separate planning class (at least in the recent developments anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,949 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GingerLily wrote: »
    Huh?

What the LL should say to the queue of people wanting the place ...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have stated the apartment can be rented as a whole or one bedroom at a time
    Renting as a whole means that they'll probably get on with each other.
    students and non students have shown interest
    If getting students, get 2nd year and above; less stupidity from people who never lived away from home.

If getting a non-student, ensure that they realize that they'll be in a student village, and thus it may not be quite on whatever night "student night" is in the local pubs.
    One person is a single mother with a baby I assume she is not a student and is probably on welfare

Advise me please
    Ignore the sob stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This is kinda hard to follow, are you referring to section 50 tax relief for third level accommodation? If you are, that is just a designated tax break for that development. The 10 years refers to the requirement that the property be rented to students to claim tax relief, if you rent to non students during the third level term, you don't get the relief and may be subject to clawback of relief.

But most student villages have planning permission only for student rental during college term, yoi can rent to non students only during the summer. If this planning restriction did not apply, there would be no student accommodation as professionals would pay handsomely for properties the cities where student villages are located.

Advertisement