Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public liability, rates for small craft business

Options
  • 10-07-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Am making craft in my rented house, landlord is fine with it. Have converted outside shed for part of the work.
    Wondering if I advertise to teach small classes in my house, do I need extra public liability insurance? Or would that be covered under standard rented house insurance.
    Am not registered as a business yet, but hope to in foreseeable future when I have more income. Some one has mentioned about rates. Would I have to Pay rates for a small workshop?
    Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All sorts of issues to sort out.

If you are dealing with the public, in any manner, then it is advised you have PL Insurance.

If you are inviting members of the public on to your property then you should get permission from the local council and you’ll most likely pay rates. Speak to your local council and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Also check your home insurance as some can insert clauses where rooms used for business purposes aren't covered and you obviously want to make sure your stock is covered too which varies from insurer to insurer.

To add to what gloomtastic said about PL even a delivery driver being helpful by bringing a delivery into your property creates a situation where you can be liable so you have to be extra careful. Public and product liability insurance is relatively cheap so worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sinesprockett

Thanks Gloomtastic, its definitely food for thought...
    I'm living in a rural area in a rented house, there are a lot of other artists who hold small painting sessions in a spare room
    to add to their income.
    Thanks for your input

It would be for 'business purposes', so definitely have to check that out
    Will have to ask land lord aboutr his insurance and could I add to it, to cover myself just in case
    Thanks for the input

Is there any 'in between status' that helps you to start to run a small business from your home?
    Any organisation that you might know of, that could tell me about the simple first steps?
    Thanks a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Depending on your craft you may be able to join a society like the Craft's Council of Ireland. They usually have insurance schemes which you can use. Worth making enquiries. Any commercial activity can result in having to pay rates and maybe even need a change of use with planning. I have a studio built onto my house and the planning specified it was for my use and not a commercial enterprise or for teaching the public.

Be careful also with your accounts and note all expenses and income as you will have to pay tax as a self employed person. Worth contacting local chamber of commerce or citizen advice centre. Also a local craft shop dealing with craft workers may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot WildWillow
    great advice- will check out the Dccoi insurance info,
    and hopefully they have some start up advice also
    Thanks again :)

Advertisement